Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Unitarian Universalist? Or another UU.

O poo poo. This is like the worst snipe ever. Uh....

Content, content. Uh. How much follow-up is there going to be on The Spire? I love the main book and I'm curious how it's doing as a whole. But I'm not really interested in pre-fab adventures and I'm not sure what you'd even add to it. Like new playbooks are cool I guess, but not really needed? I'm curious how you'd add to it or if that's even a good idea. Similar things are true for say Blades in the Dark or really any well-written game ; it seems like if you do too good a job you write yourself out of being able to effectively build on it because, well, you did a good job and it's done. But I'm also just some rando so I might have made up this impression.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

O yeah probably. I mean I wouldn't care but I'm a weird sex-positive Eurotrash.

It's not like I did a scientific poll on this, it's just been a thing that keeps cropping up and I've been idly asking people about for a while (cause I thought it was weird), so it was interesting to get confirmation on it actually occurring instead of being just a screen-writing trope. Up and till now, all I knew was none of my friends or girlfriends that I've asked have admitted to doing it.

Yeah I understand that sometimes early childhood sexual exploration play is done with siblings, and sometimes it's same-gender, so that also layers on the incest and homosexuality taboos on top of the child-sexuality taboo already involved. I feel pretty safe in saying the vast majority of people would feel extremely uncomfortable admitting they have memories of engaging in sexual exploration play as a child to anyone, and perhaps especially to a friend or family member where they might feel a big risk in doing so.

I would not even feel comfortable asking most people I know. Like I have no idea how that would come up in a conversation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

One of my favorite things about our UU church is that they run OWL classes every other year. It's basically age-appropriate sex ed for literally all ages, going down to K-1. My younger son just finished said K-1 class; it runs the gamut from "these are the real names of body parts, and how girls' and boys' bodies are different" to "consent is really important; ask before touching" to "respect your body and other peoples' bodies, too" to "families come in all kinds of varieties" to "this is where babies come from" with a brief thumbnail description of how those sperm and egg end up together in the uterus.

It's a really, really great program that unflinchingly answers kids' questions about bodies, reproduction, etc.

I think we’ve had this conversation before but UU is THE BEST. A+ forever. My own personal spirituality is leaning more towards pagan/Wiccan stuff these days but that just goes great with UU and I’m never giving up the cool church.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Xiahou Dun posted:

Content, content. Uh. How much follow-up is there going to be on The Spire? I love the main book and I'm curious how it's doing as a whole. But I'm not really interested in pre-fab adventures and I'm not sure what you'd even add to it. Like new playbooks are cool I guess, but not really needed? I'm curious how you'd add to it or if that's even a good idea. Similar things are true for say Blades in the Dark or really any well-written game ; it seems like if you do too good a job you write yourself out of being able to effectively build on it because, well, you did a good job and it's done. But I'm also just some rando so I might have made up this impression.

Well they Kickstarted a whole big honkin supplement for it not that long ago which looks like a bunch of everything, classes, advances, scenarios, setting info, etc, so my thought on the matter is it looks like Grant and the Spire team feel like it's got legs.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm also curious to see where "Sparked by the Resistance" goes. Hopefully along the lines of Powered by the Apocalypse and Forged in the Dark.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

Unitarian Universalist? Or another UU.
You got it. The lefty un-church.

Arivia posted:

I think we’ve had this conversation before but UU is THE BEST. A+ forever. My own personal spirituality is leaning more towards pagan/Wiccan stuff these days but that just goes great with UU and I’m never giving up the cool church.
high-five UU sister. We've got an active UU pagan group within our congregation. Sometimes they take over and run the Sunday service.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Man I wish my experience with UU had been a positive one. Maybe the, I don't know if congregation is the right word, here is not great. The folks rolled super hard on the idea of joining the church and it honestly felt like what I now know is called love bombing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

dwarf74 posted:

You got it. The lefty un-church.

high-five UU sister. We've got an active UU pagan group within our congregation. Sometimes they take over and run the Sunday service.

O hey cool.

My girlfriend was raised UU and she's somehow actually gotten me to kind of like it, despite my militant atheism. They're really nice people.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

O hey cool.

My girlfriend was raised UU and she's somehow actually gotten me to kind of like it, despite my militant atheism. They're really nice people.

There’s no incompatibility between being UU and being an atheist. The central tenets are to explore spirituality and life with others, but there is no proscribed answer. Critical thinking and individual choice is encouraged; if you don’t believe in a deity that’s just as valid as someone who does. The central ethics are just humanist.

@Dreqqus: That sucks! Congregation is the right term. Because UU is so diverse different congregations can differ greatly in their approach. If you’re willing I’d try again with a different congregation, and you’ll have a different experience.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In summary, making or playing a respectful game about deeply personal traumatic experiences is difficult and not to be undertaken lightly.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

O hey cool.

The wife and I are both thoroughly atheistic. I'd say at least half our congregation is.

I was raised Methodist and loved a lot about the community. This is a way to get that for us and our kids without the God stuff. Also lots of volunteering, protests, marches, etc.

But yeah hey elf games

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Trustworthy posted:

At every step of this conversation, I keep thinking about how RPGs themselves sprang up around some very specific themes of killing and being killed. These are serious issues IRL, closely connected to tragedy and serious emotional trauma, but we've been trivializing them for long enough that they've basically become invisible. The ubiquitous, casual killing that takes place in the majority of popular RPGs never seems to be included when folks are talking about sensitive/triggering topics in gaming, which is increasingly weird to me.

(Not making a specific argument or judgment here; just thinking some things through and looking for other thoughts on the matter.)

This is part of why Undertale had such a burst of popularity even though its use of those themes had all the subtlety of a brick through a window.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MadScientistWorking posted:

I mean its not vacuous nonsense. So much horrible lovely traumatic stuff is ingrained into D&D's murderhoboing that I've seen people legitimately get upset with stuff that leans into classic D&D tropes because they are fundamentally vile stuff.

Yet even then it's not 100% ingrained. D&D, and PF, are both explicit that xp is for defeating a threat, not necessarily killing it. You don't need to genocide that goblin tribe, you can drive them out, or find a good reason for them to move along.

Of course then you read the monster profiles, and run into stuff like sentient races that are invariably Evil and malicious...

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Liquid Communism posted:

Yet even then it's not 100% ingrained. D&D, and PF, are both explicit that xp is for defeating a threat, not necessarily killing it. You don't need to genocide that goblin tribe, you can drive them out, or find a good reason for them to move along.

Of course then you read the monster profiles, and run into stuff like sentient races that are invariably Evil and malicious...
the whole "sentient but still inherently evil" thing is why my campaign doesn't have goblins. it just has humans, dwarves, and halflings who are pieces of poo poo

(elves are too busy inscribing all of history onto trees, generally)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kai Tave posted:

Well they Kickstarted a whole big honkin supplement for it not that long ago which looks like a bunch of everything, classes, advances, scenarios, setting info, etc, so my thought on the matter is it looks like Grant and the Spire team feel like it's got legs.

During the Kickstarter I pointed out that they really needed more GM tools for managing stuff around the city, but they didn't have time to work anything up for this supplement. Maybe that'll bear fruit in the next one.

And does anyone know where they hang out on social media or forums ?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm also curious to see where "Sparked by the Resistance" goes. Hopefully along the lines of Powered by the Apocalypse and Forged in the Dark.

initially read as Spanked by the Resistance and was curious as to where this poe dameron fanfic was going.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

mllaneza posted:

During the Kickstarter I pointed out that they really needed more GM tools for managing stuff around the city, but they didn't have time to work anything up for this supplement. Maybe that'll bear fruit in the next one.

And does anyone know where they hang out on social media or forums ?

Grant's on Twitter, seems fairly active. I absolutely agree that they need some kind of faction/city mechanics - feels like a real missed opportunity in a game all about, y'know, changing the city and dealing with factions.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

[slowly drags the company mechanics from Reign out of where I've been keeping them in case of emergency]

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BinaryDoubts posted:

Grant's on Twitter, seems fairly active. I absolutely agree that they need some kind of faction/city mechanics - feels like a real missed opportunity in a game all about, y'know, changing the city and dealing with factions.

Yeah, this has been my biggest critique of Spire. I think the game itself is good and very evocative, but it really lacks any sort of way to chart the Ministry's influence upon the city, for good or for ill, and it's especially notable because character advancements are directly tied to making changes to the city, but it's left entirely up in the air what qualifies as a minor or major change, that sort of thing. It seemed like they might have been aiming at something like this with Strata as a stretch goal but it didn't quite make it, nonetheless I do agree that you could get a lot of mileage out of a Spire supplement that, well:

Hostile V posted:

[slowly drags the company mechanics from Reign out of where I've been keeping them in case of emergency]

does something akin to this.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Roadie posted:

This is part of why Undertale had such a burst of popularity even though its use of those themes had all the subtlety of a brick through a window.

One day I'll make my tactical turn based team RPG that's just about getting a group of socially awkward weirdos through various difficult social situations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm thinking the scale of changes, at least for gaining advancements should be: street, district, city.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

mllaneza posted:

I'm thinking the scale of changes, at least for gaining advancements should be: street, district, city.

Mmhm, that's the rough view I had as well, but I'd also love it if they went into depth with being able to zoom in and really make a particular district or neighborhood yours, a bit like cultivating your turf in Blades in the Dark. I want to be able to sink my advancements into the little scrap of the city I call my own, establish a hospital, supply the drowletariat with smuggled arms, that sort of thing.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Liquid Communism posted:

When I'm referring to genocide I'm referencing one of the worst pieces of artwork I have seen which depicts their Romani equivalent as a green Waluigi knockoff. Very much so there is a ton of trauma to be had from a default D&D setting because so much of it is based upon lovely racist sexist white guy writing.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
RE: Serious games.

I've got to admit I've never been angrier at this hobby, than with a serious game about coping with alcoholic parents as a child. I didn't play the game, or read the content, or even know anything about the author. For all I know it was completely tasteful and well done as a therapy game.

The part I took offense with was when an friend of mine did play it at a gaming convention, and came hyping the game as this really great and amazing experience. I've known him long enough to know that he's from a great, loving and supportive family, so it was clearly a very strong experience for him because it was something very new to him. But in my personal case, I got to play that "game" for real for 15+ years, which is something I'm still coping with decades later. I know my friend didn't mean any harm with it, nor did the author of the game, but there's still something I found very insulting about making real human misery entertainment like that. I wasn't really mad at my friend or even the game itself. Just kinda generally angry at the whole abstract thing.

I'm not sure why other media like film or books doesn't bother me as much, though. Just these kinds of interactive and personal roleplaying experiences. I think it might be the misery tourism factor mentioned earlier, where a player must want to participate in something like that, actively looking for those kicks. Or maybe it's the very public avenue of being at a convention where anybody can run a game like that, and anybody can just sign up and play with a bunch of strangers. Maybe I'd be less bothered if it was something presented at a closed setting with specific participants in mind. :shrug:

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

initially read as Spanked by the Resistance and was curious as to where this poe dameron fanfic was going.

It's just off enough to be a Chuck Tingle knock off.

Wake me up for Pounded In The Butt By the Resistance.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Attestant posted:

I'm not sure why other media like film or books doesn't bother me as much, though. Just these kinds of interactive and personal roleplaying experiences. I think it might be the misery tourism factor mentioned earlier, where a player must want to participate in something like that, actively looking for those kicks. Or maybe it's the very public avenue of being at a convention where anybody can run a game like that, and anybody can just sign up and play with a bunch of strangers. Maybe I'd be less bothered if it was something presented at a closed setting with specific participants in mind. :shrug:

Can't speak to your personal experience of course, but I find for me the degree of active versus passive consumption is a pretty big factor. Like, I love horror movies. Its pretty rare for me to get squeamish, even watching ones aiming for maximum shock value or gore. But I find playing a lot of survival horror games difficult, because controlling the character on the screen creates a level of immediacy that's not there when I'm just sitting and watching a film. It definitely varies by person though, as I know people who are generally lukewarm on horror as a genre, but really love horror games.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Note that is part of why I despise Dystopia Rising. Take horror, give it immediacy on a level that provokes fight or flight, and keep this up for 36 hours without space to decompress OOG? That is going to gently caress with people who thought they were down with it in unexpected ways and they will try to soldier on because they dont want to ruin others' fun.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh, and don't forget that they require everyone to take a turn monstering, so they get to go all Stanford Prison as they now have the power to inflict those feelings on others.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Note that is part of why I despise Dystopia Rising. Take horror, give it immediacy on a level that provokes fight or flight, and keep this up for 36 hours without space to decompress OOG? That is going to gently caress with people who thought they were down with it in unexpected ways and they will try to soldier on because they dont want to ruin others' fun.
This whole discussion just makes me think of McKamey Manor, which is an annual haunted house that actually requires people to sign a loving waiver to go in.

quote:

The Manor may give its patrons unwanted haircuts, drench them in fake blood, submerge them in water, force them to eat and drink unknown substances, have them bound and gagged, or engage in other forms of emotional or psychological torture.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Desiden posted:

Can't speak to your personal experience of course, but I find for me the degree of active versus passive consumption is a pretty big factor. Like, I love horror movies. Its pretty rare for me to get squeamish, even watching ones aiming for maximum shock value or gore. But I find playing a lot of survival horror games difficult, because controlling the character on the screen creates a level of immediacy that's not there when I'm just sitting and watching a film. It definitely varies by person though, as I know people who are generally lukewarm on horror as a genre, but really love horror games.

I think a big factor here could be the gamification.

For instance, role-playing can be a very useful tool for psychotherapists, depending on the client and the nature of their issues. I don't think that sort of thing would be at issue, even though it's definitely an active consumption sort of scenario.

However, assigning points or rolling dice to determine responses and outcomes (like the previously linked Rosenstrasse kickstarter) could be more of an issue, in my mind. Assigning game mechanics and dice rolls in some ways trivializes the consequences that resulted from choices made by real people. I don't know if I like the idea of drawing a card that says, "woops, the Gestapo break down your door and carry you away to Auschwitz." *yikes*

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

This whole discussion just makes me think of McKamey Manor, which is an annual haunted house that actually requires people to sign a loving waiver to go in.

Uh. Man, I really wish the horse of 'if you're being made to feel physically or mentally upset the HORROR IS DOING ITS JOB' could go out and die.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I saw the documentary this guy is in and he comes off as a massive rear end in a top hat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think something I find distasteful is the idea that Serious topics can be gamed. It's the "walk a mile in their shoes" thing, except you're just simulating the walk.

I'd never presume to have a better real understanding of what it's like to be a trans person or PoC because of a few recreational hours pretending to be one, in a safe environment. I don't think anyone here would. It's profane.

But for some reason trauma, grief, and mental illness survivors aren't "off limits." It feels exploitative and dismissive to game their experience - like they somehow posess a less valid, less real identity.

It hits pretty close to home, and maybe I'd be cool with it otherwise. But Serious Games seem like a well intentioned mistake to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think the goal - at least for a product with realistic and good intentions - is a "better understanding" than a person who actually experienced those things. But teaching tools come in many forms, and I think a game can be a teaching tool, even about serious subjects.

e. Dealing with the triggering aspect of reproducing traumas that some actual players have probably actually experienced is a very significant challenge, and I hope I'm not trivializing that difficulty. My point is only that the word "game" does not have to restrict the domain of moderated interactive experience to only light entertainment type experiences.

e2 I also strongly agree with the idea that a casual stroll-up-and-play pick-up game at a con is not the right venue to present this kind of game. Yeesh.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 12, 2019

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sure but teaching tools are for teaching eg grief counsellors, not for a bunch of friends to have some beers and a “deep emotional experience” together. They’re not the same thing, and they’re not done for the same reasons

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's true and I think you're right that that's the intent.

It just feels like the actual insight you'd get is comparable to eating a croissant once vs growing up eating French food.

And if it's so small, why even do this? The potential for harm seems to very much outweigh any net good it'll do.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serious Topics to which you are desensitized, or were never sensitive, can always be good (even if not fun) games, hilarious comedy, et cetera for you. Serious Topics to which you are sensitive either need to be handled delicately or not at all for a product to be good. Your sensitivities are likely to change over time. I don't agree that game-based learning trivializes a Serious Topic per se, and I don't agree that Serious Games are a mistake. I do not think that somebody is "too sensitive" if they find a game's treatment of something troubling, upsetting, or offensive.

Talk with your group about the themes of the game before you play, including the themes of violence and extrajudicial killing (which are, let's face it, in most RPGs ever made). Have an X card mechanism when you do so. Stick to your agreement.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

moths posted:

That's true and I think you're right that that's the intent.

It just feels like the actual insight you'd get is comparable to eating a croissant once vs growing up eating French food.

And if it's so small, why even do this? The potential for harm seems to very much outweigh any net good it'll do.

Malignant in particular turns out to have been the creator's way of exploring their own grief to understand it and work through, though, which rather squarely pegs it in what would be the "own voices" category if those who have lost close family to cancer were some kind of minority (gently caress I wish it wasn't something that so many people have to deal with). It wouldn't be the route I would have taken but I could see how creating it as a game because that's the creator's medium of choice is valid and it shifts the context of the conversation pretty dramatically from "this is someone trying to craft entertainment from outside the experience" to "this is someone's way of exploring how they reacted and how others might react under the same stimuli."

It's free, but the creator asks folks who download it to donate instead to cancer research, and if you provide a receipt showing a minimum donation of $10 to the charity in question they will give you a free pdf of Thou Art But A Warrior as thanks.

I was way out of line when I initially responded to this entire scenario; I apologize for that.

But I really don't feel like this is about what I initially took it to be, namely exploring real misery for cheap fun; this is something that the creator used and it sounds like Meinberg also used to explore their grief about their respective losses. And that?

That I can't poo poo on. That's fukken valid.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If that's part of their healing process, absolutely. I don't think anyone involved in this is trying to do harm, nobody's playing these for laughs over a Papa John's order.

But it seems to me that a Serious Game is at best a sample-sized packet of information, and at worst a substitute for more conventional help and treatment.

Like I don't know how much good, actionable information is in these for people who would legit benefit. Not just for anyone directly affected, but also their support network. There's a lot of bad "common wisdom" and advice out there already, and the thought of introducing recreational amature therapy gives me some intense reservations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

moths posted:

But it seems to me that a Serious Game is at best a sample-sized packet of information, and at worst a substitute for more conventional help and treatment.

Like I don't know how much good, actionable information is in these for people who would legit benefit. Not just for anyone directly affected, but also their support network. There's a lot of bad "common wisdom" and advice out there already, and the thought of introducing recreational amature therapy gives me some intense reservations.

You are confusing the act of someone writing a game as an outlet for their grief (what the author of Malignant did) with what the game itself is meant to accomplish, which in the case of serious games is usually to educate people and get them to understand something.

They do this because mechanics are good at communicating ideas and feelings, and because human beings find it easier to sympathise with people or understand their plight if they can relate to it in some way, rather than having those people be a random statistic in the margin of a history book.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 12, 2019