Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/lamborghini-driving-bitcoin-trader-charged-with-drug-trafficking-20190310-p5134n.html

quote:

Lamborghini-driving bitcoin trader Sam Karagiozis had the words "self made'' tattooed across his knuckles after founding Australian cryptocurrency Auscoin.

When bitcoin hit $25,000 in late 2017, the self-proclaimed "serial entrepreneur" predicted it would surge to $100,000 within a year.

But now, Mr Karagiozis has more pressing concerns than bitcoin's recent plunge in value below $4000.

On March 7, the 27-year-old from Bulleen was charged by Australian Federal Police with trafficking about 30 kilograms of drugs, including cocaine, MDMA and methamphetamine.

The AFP will allege that Mr Karagiozis played a key role in directing an organised crime syndicate, which used various dark web sites, bitcoin accounts and legitimate businesses for the sourcing, payment and distribution of drugs.

A joint taskforce between the AFP and financial intelligence agency AUSTRAC raided properties linked to Mr Karagiozis in Bulleen, Templestowe and Malvern, where they seized steroids, cash and cryptocurrency related items.

He was refused bail in the Melbourne Magistrates Court last week, after being charged with 14 offences relating to drug importation, trafficking and possession.

Following the arrest, AUSTRAC suspended the registration of two digital currency exchange businesses linked to Mr Karagiozis. At the same, the AFP placed restraining orders on assets worth more than $2 million, including bank accounts, real estate, cars, cash and cryptocurrency.

Mr Karagiozis' arrest last week was linked to raids on properties in Mernda and Kew in October 2017, when AFP officers seized 15.8 kilograms of MDMA, 2.6 kilograms of cocaine and more than a kilogram of ketamine.

The drugs are understood to have been ordered on the dark web and sent to Australia in the post.

Happy to describe himself as a '"hustler", Mr Karagiozis has been an enthusiastic spruiker of bitcoin and other cyptocurrencies at investment seminars around Australia.

He has rolled out a national network of automatic teller machines that exchange cryptocurrency, while his Greek-themed restaurants in St Kilda, Thornbury and Far North Queensland allow patrons to purchase souvlaki with bitcoin.

His 'rags to riches' sales pitch would often make reference to his tough upbringing in Melbourne's northern suburbs.

"For me, being self-made means I started with nothing," Mr Karagiozis said on social media.

He left school at 15 and worked at a McDonalds restaurant, which he credits for his "relentless work ethic". He claims to have only read one book in his life - Donald Trump's The Art of the Deal.

Around the same time, Mr Karagiozis developed a passion for weight training, according to his online profile.

"Sam would often travel two hours return to buy protein powder from the Melbourne CBD and sell them to other employees at McDonald’s. The purpose of this was to cover the cost of Sam’s supplements which allowed him to train."

At 16, he started his first business, Hellas Nutrition, before moving into the security industry and later, property development.

In 2017, Mr Karagiozis founded Auscoin Group, with bold plans to launch his own cryptocurrency and raise $30 million from the initial coin offering (ICO).

He was also trading bitcoin, which peaked in value in December 2017. Mr Karagiozis joined clients Nick Kyrgios and older brother Christos in the players box at the 2018 Australian Open.

But his scheme to install 1200 Auscoin ATMs in shopping centres around Australia and Asia foundered when the offering raised less than $2 million. Around 30 Australian shopping centres currently have Auscoin ATMs.

His personal fortune took a battering, losing more than $5 million in 2018.

Unperturbed, he continued to flaunt his wealth. His stable of luxury cars included a Lamborghini Gallardo and a Bentley Continental with personalised plates "MR BTC".

Last year, Mr Karagiozis even launched his own fashion range that included hoodies with "Team no sleep" and "All or nothing" emblazoned on the back.

As the value of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies plummeted, he urged his clients and social media followers to ignore negative sentiment.

"It’s Monday and I have one piece of advice for all you hustlers out there! F**k the Haters! Get out there and take what’s yours. Outwork the competition, help others, stay humble," he said in a facebook post in November 2018.

Mr Karagiozis will face the Melbourne Magistrates Court in June.

AFP Detective Superintendent Paul Hopkins said targeting assets allowed authorities to remove the profit motivation that underpins most criminal activity.

“When you take the profit out of crime, you hit offenders where it hurts most," Detective Superintendent Hopkins said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Breaking Bad, but instead of dealing with violent cartels Walter just lectures a bunch of dumb nerds about how to run a business (there are still nazis though).

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

"A passion for weight traning."

I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with reasons why a doughy drug peddler would want to spend time around body builders and power lifters, but I'm drawing a blank.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

wow I am surprised. Bitcoin and Nazis are colluding? I never would have guessed?

I was being sarcastic

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

every day is leg day when you live a 450lb life

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

"A passion for weight traning."

I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with reasons why a doughy drug peddler would want to spend time around body builders and power lifters, but I'm drawing a blank.

Lots of powerlifters look like that fwiw
My favorite part is “He claims to have only read one book in his life - Donald Trump's The Art of the Deal.”

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Nessus posted:

I would say the real commonality is that both come from a profoundly misanthropic worldview

Or just a distrust of the (current form of) government? The real core audience are the libertarians and the techno-utopianists. A lot of left groups have also had their funding cut off in the recent waves of defunding, and are seeking forms of payment that can't get blocked. Like all the LGBT groups that are getting kicked off along with everyone else because talking about naughty bits is not "advertiser-friendly". Some of them have started LGBT-butts.

I think this coin was not a joke even if it's inactive as of January or so? https://lgbt-token.org/

AkumaHokoru posted:

it was. republican pearl clutchers threw up a cloud of chaff and ran away soon as it was clear the family were long time known shitheads.

I'm not up on my Jezebel but...
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kentucky-approves-bill-make-doxing-illegal-after-covington-student-s-n980416
"FRANKFORT, Ky. — Weeks after a Kentucky high school student says he was wrongly vilified for his interaction with a Native American protester, state lawmakers on Wednesday advanced a bill that would make it a crime to publish personal information of a child online with the intent to harass, abuse or frighten."

Also the point was that internet detectives doxxed some totally innocent people during that manhunt, which so far as I can tell is not disputed. There was a time in the history of SomethingAwfulLLC where if you posted WrongThink someone would reply with creepy comments about your place of work because doxxing was seen as a "normal" aspect of the forums. It was not fun, and no one should wish for its return.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

He's a drug dealer. He doesn't much care whether it's MDMA he's making money from or roids.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

revwinnebago posted:

There was a time in the history of SomethingAwfulLLC where if you posted WrongThink someone would reply with creepy comments about your place of work because doxxing was seen as a "normal" aspect of the forums. It was not fun, and no one should wish for its return.

Where did you get this information?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is this good for bitcoin?

quote:

IRS Special Agent in Charge John R. Tafur said: “This is an old scam with a virtual twist. As alleged in court documents, the cryptocurrency OneCoin was established for the sole purpose of defrauding investors. IGNATOV and IGNATOVA allegedly convinced victims to invest in OneCoin based on complete lies about the virtual currency. IRS Criminal Investigation is committed to investigating cryptocurrency scams in an effort to protect the American public and bring cryptocurrency crooks to justice.”

FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge William Sweeney, Jr. said: “As we allege, OneCoin was a cryptocurrency existing only in the minds of its creators and their co-conspirators. Unlike authentic cryptocurrencies, which maintain records of their investors’ transaction history, OneCoin had no real value. It offered investors no method of tracing their money, and it could not be used to purchase anything. In fact, the only ones who stood to benefit from its existence were its founders and co-conspirators. Whether you’re dealing with virtual currency or cold, hard cash, we urge the public to exercise due diligence with any investment.”

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I need an implant that will let my toggle my moral compass.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I got a report about a politics derail so everyone stfu about it

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Unlike authentic cryptocurrencies,..., OneCoin had no real value

Lmao

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

revwinnebago posted:

Or just a distrust of the (current form of) government? The real core audience are the libertarians and the techno-utopianists. A lot of left groups have also had their funding cut off in the recent waves of defunding, and are seeking forms of payment that can't get blocked. Like all the LGBT groups that are getting kicked off along with everyone else because talking about naughty bits is not "advertiser-friendly". Some of them have started LGBT-butts.

I think this coin was not a joke even if it's inactive as of January or so? https://lgbt-token.org/

I'm not up on my Jezebel but...
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kentucky-approves-bill-make-doxing-illegal-after-covington-student-s-n980416
"FRANKFORT, Ky. — Weeks after a Kentucky high school student says he was wrongly vilified for his interaction with a Native American protester, state lawmakers on Wednesday advanced a bill that would make it a crime to publish personal information of a child online with the intent to harass, abuse or frighten."

Also the point was that internet detectives doxxed some totally innocent people during that manhunt, which so far as I can tell is not disputed. There was a time in the history of SomethingAwfulLLC where if you posted WrongThink someone would reply with creepy comments about your place of work because doxxing was seen as a "normal" aspect of the forums. It was not fun, and no one should wish for its return.

Yeah this all "came out" because one of the kids' moms hired a PR firm. Videos from the day show Covington students harassing women and generally being assholes as well as Covington chaperones watching the incident in question and not intervening.

Turns out the kids doing the tomahawk chop in a Native Americans face are just racist shits.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Crime on a Dime posted:

Where did you get this information?

It was true, way back in the day. Then Lowtax said, "Hey, stop posting pictures of each other's houses, it's loving creepy and I'll ban you."

It also happened not just because of wrong think, but every other reason as well.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Bitcoin Coders Send International Lightning Payment Over Ham Radio

quote:

In what appears to be a first-of-its-kind transaction, two developers working in separate countries have successfully sent a bitcoin lightning payment over radio waves.

Organized over Twitter this past weekend, the transaction was sent by Rodolfo Novak, co-founder of bitcoin hardware startup CoinKite, to developer and Bloomberg columnist Elaine Ou. The completed payment effectively moved real bitcoin from Toronto, Canada, to San Francisco, California.

While radio technology is most commonly used for broadcasting music or talk radio, it’s actually capable of much more than that. As the two developers showcased, radio can also be used to boost the resilience of the bitcoin network.

Bitcoin is making ham radio cool again!” Ou tweeted after sending the transaction to Novak, referencing “ham radio,” the use of radio by hobbyists who fiddle with radio technology.
Currency of the future!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Cool, bitcoin is now going over unencrypted and easily falsified transmissions, excellent work

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I like ham

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Oh no

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The grim future is Bitcoiners mining on pedal computers and trading over radio to escape a dying earth. One by one they fall to exhaustion. Chasing a mysterious prophecy left behind by the World That Was:

"When the last Bitcoin is mined we're going straight to the moon!"

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Bodybuilders purchase and consume a shitload of illegal drugs

clen and clomid can be pretty profitable in the same way meth or fentanyl can, with the additional bonus of being less likely to kill your client

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Razorwired posted:

The grim future is Bitcoiners mining on pedal computers and trading over radio to escape a dying earth. One by one they fall to exhaustion. Chasing a mysterious prophecy left behind by the World That Was:

Excerpted from Paolo Bacigalupi’s upcoming novel, Wooden Nickels.

Ad by Khad posted:

Bodybuilders purchase and consume a shitload of illegal drugs

clen and clomid can be pretty profitable in the same way meth or fentanyl can, with the additional bonus of being less likely to kill your client
That’s the joke I was going for by pointing out that he was both out of shape and a drug dealer. You’re the second person who didn’t get it, so I did not do a good job of getting that across.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

If you like ham so much, why don’t you make some Ham Sandiwches? Or can that only be done when number go up?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Razorwired posted:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

When are we getting the Hyperloop?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

let it mellow posted:

Cool, bitcoin is now going over unencrypted and easily falsified transmissions, excellent work

To be fair, the same could be said about internet connections in general. Bitcoin/Lightning uses digital signing to ensure only a person with access to the wallet keys can create a transaction.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Front Burner a CBC podcast did an episode today on quadrigacx.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I just don't see how this could be permitted in the US or Canada based on current amateur radio regulations. So, just another day for crypto.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Motronic posted:

I just don't see how this could be permitted in the US or Canada based on current amateur radio regulations. So, just another day for crypto.

As long as the traffic is signed but not encrypted, and they're doing it as a proof of concept, they're probably fine. I would think as soon as you actually start doing regular transactions to actually pay for poo poo over ham radio you're gonna run into trouble.

A proof of concept for a system that could never actually be deployed. So, just another day for crypto.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I would think as soon as you actually start doing regular transactions to actually pay for poo poo over ham radio you're gonna run into trouble.

A proof of concept for a system that could never actually be deployed. So, just another day for crypto.

Perhaps in a very generous interpretation. But sending a payment, whether for a proof of concept or not, immediately fails the pecuniary value test of the regulators on both sides of this transaction. Now it's got media behind it. I'm hoping to see two licensees getting sanctioned.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Motronic posted:

Perhaps in a very generous interpretation. But sending a payment, whether for a proof of concept or not, immediately fails the pecuniary value test of the regulators on both sides of this transaction. Now it's got media behind it. I'm hoping to see two licensees getting sanctioned.

I think it's going to need a letter from the FCC to clarify things, because I can't think of an existing technology that allowed you to literally send money securely over the air. I guess you could give the info for a wire transfer, but even that involves an out-of-band operation. If I was going to argue that you shouldn't throw the book at these guys, I'd go something like this:

quote:

An amateur operator may notify other amateur operators of the availability for sale or trade of apparatus normally used in an amateur station, provided that such activity is not conducted on a regular basis.

Suppose you hop on a net and mention you're selling an antenna. That's ok as per the above. Somebody says he wants it. You say ok, mail a check to my license address and I'll mail you the antenna. I would assume that's ok. Suppose instead of saying mail me a check, you said switch over to <freq> and send me the money with this Lightning bullshit. The money is being transferred as part of the sale of amateur radio apparatus (allowed), via unencrypted transmissions (allowed), presumably via some sort of digital mode (allowed).

Edit: if it's been established that actually arranging for the sale of your radio equipment on the air isn't ok, then the above argument is meaningless so gently caress 'em

I don't want buttcoiners sending butts over the airwaves, but I think there may be gaps in the rules because it's not something you could do up until recently. I think the FCC and their Canadian counterparts should tell people not to do it, and I think the rules should be updated as soon as possible to explicitly disallow it.

Of course, most hams being 130 years old, it would probably never be used much in any case, and as soon as someone mentions the word "crypto" on qrz.com there'll be a great harrumphing and many posts in ALL CAPS ABOUT HOW BAD IT IS - 73S BILL

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Pham Nuwen posted:

As long as the traffic is signed but not encrypted, and they're doing it as a proof of concept, they're probably fine. I would think as soon as you actually start doing regular transactions to actually pay for poo poo over ham radio you're gonna run into trouble.

Even assuming this wasn't already in violation of FCC regulations, they'd have to devise some sort of means to prevent crosstalk as the number of participants goes up. Eventually they'll recreate cellular communications, except they'll have implemented it poorly and thrashed the public spectrums into uselessness while doing so. Par for the course with crypto.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

isndl posted:

Even assuming this wasn't already in violation of FCC regulations, they'd have to devise some sort of means to prevent crosstalk as the number of participants goes up. Eventually they'll recreate cellular communications, except they'll have implemented it poorly and thrashed the public spectrums into uselessness while doing so. Par for the course with crypto.

Yeah I mean if you really want to sell your radio gear over the air AND you find someone else in the Venn diagram intersection of "ham licensee" and "buttcoin enthusiast" you could just tell the guy to send butts to such-and-such a wallet address, right?

You can't make the usual ham argument that it's a good thing to have in case of catastrophe, because why do you need to send fake Internet money from Canada to the US right now during a disaster which has apparently knocked out all Internet service?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah I mean if you really want to sell your radio gear over the air AND you find someone else in the Venn diagram intersection of "ham licensee" and "buttcoin enthusiast" you could just tell the guy to send butts to such-and-such a wallet address, right?

You can't make the usual ham argument that it's a good thing to have in case of catastrophe, because why do you need to send fake Internet money from Canada to the US right now during a disaster which has apparently knocked out all Internet service?

after the collapse of civilization when bitcoin has replaced currency ham radio and carrier pigeons will be the backbone of the internet

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
also the backbone of my dinner

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

also the backbone of my dinner

I think you'll find the transistors to be a bit crunchy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
*Homer Simpson drooling voice*

Ham Radio

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

someone please explain how a bitcoin transaction works in terms of a post-apocalyptic carrier-pigeon network

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I smash you over the head with a now useless computer and take all your carrier pigeons to feed my family is how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

I think you'll find the transistors to be a bit crunchy.

you gotta sous vide them to bring out the natural juices