Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I decided to try the slave start. They're not going to feed me, are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NeurosisHead posted:

I decided to try the slave start. They're not going to feed me, are they?

Nope, but you'll never starve either, just remain permanently malnourished until you free yourself and as many slaves as possible. You ARE going to free as many slaves as you can, right?

Until then, enjoy the best start in the game. Never stop trying to break out, and when you do fail to fight off the Sentinels, enjoy your free healthcare. Repeat until you have a bajillion Strength, Dex, Toughness and Martial Arts.

EDIT: IIRC it's even better because being malnourished gives stat penalties, which in the world of Kenshi means better XP gain!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

CommissarMega posted:

Nope, but you'll never starve either, just remain permanently malnourished until you free yourself and as many slaves as possible. You ARE going to free as many slaves as you can, right?

Until then, enjoy the best start in the game. Never stop trying to break out, and when you do fail to fight off the Sentinels, enjoy your free healthcare. Repeat until you have a bajillion Strength, Dex, Toughness and Martial Arts.

EDIT: IIRC it's even better because being malnourished gives stat penalties, which in the world of Kenshi means better XP gain!

Oh I won't starve? Sweet! I'm on day 5 and while it's definitely playing like a macabre movie montage I was kind of worried that it would end with my dudes starving to death in a cage which is supremely uncool.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Does dodge and martial arts ever get a character to the point where they can solo entire groups of enemies?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Oh I won't starve? Sweet! I'm on day 5 and while it's definitely playing like a macabre movie montage I was kind of worried that it would end with my dudes starving to death in a cage which is supremely uncool.

Make sure to keep a variety of saves. Sometimes the guards get distracted/run out of bandaids and don't heal your character, letting them bleed to death.

Vakal posted:

Does dodge and martial arts ever get a character to the point where they can solo entire groups of enemies?

Sort of. From a pure numbers perspective, the answer is yes, but in practice the dodge animations can really gently caress you over. What can happen in large groups is your Fist of the North Star bro gets locked into a dodge animation, as a guy takes a swing, your dude dodges, but before they can finish the animation, another baddie takes a swing, restarting that animation. I strongly recommend downloading a faster dodge animation mod. It works for everyone, so that helps balance, plus it looks really bad rear end once you get to the higher levels.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vakal posted:

Yeah, seems like it, you might need the faster dodge animation mod though, even with it you still get stuck in long loops of being too busy dodging to ever get a hit off.

My ex-slave character with ~35 MA and ~65 dodge managed to take out about half of this group recently:

I know they're only starvers, but goddrat there were a lot of them. So far they're my only character worth a drat in combat, and they can carry the group pretty dang hard. This character also wiped out a small holy mine basically on their own. The biggest problems you'll face with going against groups as a solo martial artist are:
1: The thing I mentioned about getting stuck in long dodge loops
2: If there's multiple dudes, I tend to get whacked by one of them whenever I actually land a hit, since the dodge doesn't seem to trigger while an attack animation is happening. With a big enough group this will eventually lead to a death by thousand cuts scenario, which is the only reason those starving bandits were able to take me down.

MA absolutely rules though. When you get your toughness and strength up to higher levels, you just poo poo out damage. Right now, still in the relatively early game, with ~45 strength, ~60 toughness, and ~35 MA I do like 120 damage if I hit an unarmored spot, and even against heavy armored samurais I can hit for about 50 on the armor. If guys bunch up it's really easy to hit multiple dudes with one kick as well. I'm actually having the problem where it's hard to train MA at any reasonable speed, because anything I fight tends to get knocked out way too fast. The rest of my squad is waaay behind in combat ability because I just want to fight everything solo for that precious MA exp.

Oh also, you turn into a limb-blender that can give beak things a run for their money. I punch off so many arms and legs.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Thanks for the info.

I was also going to ask if it was possible to kill people with MA because it seems like it does many blunt damage, but I guess if it gets to the point that you can punch off limbs, than that answers my question.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
martial arts owns and before long you'll be causing limbs to go flying off in all directions

Also if you want to experience the lore, take a skeleton with you on all of your travels.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vakal posted:

Thanks for the info.

I was also going to ask if it was possible to kill people with MA because it seems like it does many blunt damage, but I guess if it gets to the point that you can punch off limbs, than that answers my question.

Yeah straight up killing people is not a problem. Many of my fights end with the majority of the people either dead, or bleeding out.

That second picture in my last post, with the 127 damage to the starving bandit leader - I hit him once in the chest and brought him to -1 health, and then did that hit on his chest again and instantly killed him. No bleeding out or unconsciousness, just straight from "slightly injured" to "dead."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, I'm finding some of the mods are ridiculously unbalanced. I have the "shops have more items" mod installed and it gives the bar at The Hub a bunch of ancient science books and engineering research. Every vendor has like half a million cats, give or take $100k. I definitely would not recommend it for a first playthrough but it makes living in town and selling off loot a lot easier:
I like this one for the convenience factor. Limited trader cash really doesn't matter all that much mechanically, because you still end up able to afford everything you want, you just need to spend a bunch of time bartering back and forth so that all the cash ends up with you instead of the shop. If you have nothing to sell, it does not make a difference.

But yeah, do not buy the research items. That'll just completely ruin the fun of having to dive through monster-infested ruins for the stuff your first time around.

quote:

Also I came across a group of 13 deranged robots who consider me their master
I ran into that same ruin once on a run where I had dialled squad size up to maximum. I ended up with 50 robots and just burned the Holy Nation to the ground.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Here is my trip report after playing for five minutes:

1. This is the first game I have ever played where I intentionally made an ugly character, so that I might roleplay the slightly overweight neckbeard samurai who will restore honor to these dreaded lands

2. My graphics card made a weird whizzing noise on the main menu when I opened up the "Select a Start" menu, and the noise changes in tone slightly as I cycle through them, which was initially very worrying, but eventually was pretty funny but also still worrying

So I'm having a pretty good time so far

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

2. My graphics card made a weird whizzing noise on the main menu when I opened up the "Select a Start" menu, and the noise changes in tone slightly as I cycle through them, which was initially very worrying, but eventually was pretty funny but also still worrying

So I'm having a pretty good time so far
This game has a bug where it will start in the wrong resolution and stay that way until you alt-tab out once. The whizzing noise, if I'm getting my guess right, is called "coil whine" and happens as a side effect when electricity flows through certain components in your computer at the right (or wrong, as it where) frequency. It's entirely harmless, but it's often caused by graphics cards who are run at the wrong resolution. Check if this might be the cause of your problem.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I started a new game with the Slave start, but the fact that the Obedient Slave job seems to tick on at random times, even when I have Jobs disabled, is really annoying. Although I did find out that putting them into Sneak while they've got it on is a great way to skyrocket the skill, until some random guard notices they're crouching around and beats them up for bonus toughness boosts. :v:

Also my second dude lost an arm really early but I'm pushing through. When sweet freedom is finally realized the first stop will be Hiver territory to get him a cheap-rear end sweet robot arm.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If using robot arms let martial artists block blades like weapon users can I would chop of my guy's limbs in a heart beat.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Bussamove posted:

I started a new game with the Slave start, but the fact that the Obedient Slave job seems to tick on at random times, even when I have Jobs disabled, is really annoying. Although I did find out that putting them into Sneak while they've got it on is a great way to skyrocket the skill, until some random guard notices they're crouching around and beats them up for bonus toughness boosts. :v:

Also my second dude lost an arm really early but I'm pushing through. When sweet freedom is finally realized the first stop will be Hiver territory to get him a cheap-rear end sweet robot arm.

Yeah, standing still in your cage/pole while sneaking is the best way to level up stealth. I think if you have your cage unlocked while doing so, sometimes you just get out of your cage and get beaten by the guards though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hell if I know why trying to "hide" in your locked, 1.5-feet-square slave cage pisses them off so much, tho.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have no idea how to actually level up my slave dudes melee skills cause they always get an rear end kicking any time they try to escape. my one guy lost a leg which has really hosed things up.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Hell if I know why trying to "hide" in your locked, 1.5-feet-square slave cage pisses them off so much, tho.

In my experience the guards don't care if you go into stealth mode in your cage (and you seem to get XP for it if there are enough people moving around outside it) but if you're sneaking when they try to let you out, that's a paddlin'

Vakal
May 11, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i have no idea how to actually level up my slave dudes melee skills cause they always get an rear end kicking any time they try to escape. my one guy lost a leg which has really hosed things up.

Level up your stealth and thieving skills first. Then once you get them to a decent level you can loot the guards bodies while they are sleeping at night and steal their weapons.

They don't have the greatest unarmed skill so you should be able to last a lot longer against two guards and start to see your martial arts skill go up, or your melee weapon skill if you choose to use their weapons yourself.

Also if you can befriend another slave and drop a guards weapon on the ground, they will usually pick it up and use it as well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Or grind up your assassination and KO them, then take their weapons away from them.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It's very cool to see your player slaves, after being annihilated by guards eight or nine times, suddenly capable of dodging eight hits in a row. My power grows...

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I successfully snuck one of my dudes to freedom... only to immediately turn around and go back in because I wanted to train MA some more.

This game does things to me.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Also if you just let yourself heal up between beatdowns you generally won't lose a limb to them

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The early game of Kenshi is a great time to have it running in the background while other stuff happens— by loading my characters up with the excess slave shackles they give you whenever you remove yours I’ve created a swole monster while I watch Netflix. :v:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Early playthroughs: mods to make the game way easier

Late playthroughs: mods to ensure you are penniless and weak and forever outclassed

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think you mean forevially outclassed and loving it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i broke one of my guys out of slavery and went to try and become a karate master by fighting cannibals mano-e-mano, then went back to rescue my crippled friend from his life of drudgery, but the guards actually just kicked my rear end and now both guys are slaves again.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Been reading about this game for a while, so I got it for myself as a reward for a calm saturday evening.

My newbie story: Got some free guy to join me right away before I made my way to the first(?) proper-ish town. On the way they got beat up several times, having to fast forward after the second one while one guy was dying and the other in a recovery coma. Did some mining, did some looting of animals/bandits the guards killed, bought a house, researched some low-level stuff, hired a couple more people and figured I'd do some exploring. Found an animal nest that some random group killed and made tons of food, made it to a town with easier mining nodes, got rich (30k woo). Bought some maps and headed towards a town quite a bit south, passing some weird hive village and very eager salesmen that ripped me off something fierce. Belt light seems awesome for mining in the dark though! Got murdered by a lone spider who proceeded to start eating people, so i *cough* reloaded and very, very slowly snuck the entire rest of way to the town, which was full of Sheks who just wanted to die fighting the Bugmaster(?). I was going to head back to my house in newbietown but instead I'm following some group of Shek warriors through spikey territory, low on food.

Blatant rambling aside, having a great time, game is awesome.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So been playing this game for a bit, was faffing around the borderlands in the wanderer start. Tried setting up an outpost that got raided by dust bandits and one of my four guys killed. The three survivors (Me, Ruka and Hobbs) went and recruited up a couple more companions a pair of generic fighter recruits and hired a squad of merc's wearing trench coats and tricorn hats. We raided the Dust Kings tower and managed to draw him out and capture him netting me a cool skeleton smith sabre and a ton of loot from the dozen + dust bandits and money from his bounty although he died on the way back (I am confused because I thought we healed him first). one of my fighter recruits had to be left behind and all the mercenaries died. Since then I have been traveling around with some tech hunter hiver and skeleton bodyguards (much more lethal) butchering the splinter bands from the reactive world mod and leveling up? and have hired a couple guys from Stack an ex-sentinel Griffin and a drunkard guy Bard. Does anyone know where the Dust Hunters base is in the mod? I haven't been able to find them and want to finish off the Dust Bandits. Most of my guys are now okay fighters and have about 20-30 weapon skills so at least can go toe to toe with the Dust Bandits. Where is a good next place to go? From my obsessive looting and bounties I have managed to net about 180K cats.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 13, 2019

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Man, I wasn't aware of the general game mechanics when I got started, so I picked a slave start but didn't squeeze it for all the exp I could in order to make a buff hardy martial arts ninja slave ready to escape. Instead my two gals, Su and Blend, just booked it pretty much the first second they were out of the cage. They were lucky to be accompanied by four or five other slaves who spontaneously decided to make a run for it at the same time, but they were still too slow and frail. As the guards were starting to catch up on them, it became clear they wouldn't make it. So Blend took a hard swerve and managed to get the pursuing guards on her, leaving Su with just enough time to make for the hills. Blend managed to endure the beating long enough to further drive the guards away, to the point where there was hope she'd manage to escape too, going the opposite way, but there was no such luck. Su could see Blend's half-dead body being dragged off back to her cage as she kept sprinting through the mountains.
I didn't know you can still keep faraway characters active on your squad, so I just dismissed Blend once Su gained enough distance. Maybe I'll come back for her one day :smith:

Anyway, so Su made a long, arduous trek south, and between scavenging, petty larceny and mining was barely able to stave off starvation just long enough to reach the Borderlands, where she managed to get some half-decent gear, team up with local crazy Hobbs, and get a face change, being reborn as Scum of the Wastes.

Right now I have four people on my squad, plus a small shack in the Hub with a little storefront, but I had to savescum for the first time when I realized my plan to stock up on cheap flour in Squin in order to sell freshly baked bread in the Hub was impractical due to UNBALANCED BREAD MECHANICS. Not only do you need 20kg of materials to make a single 1kg loaf of bread, but also you can't use an inn's bread oven? Or rather, you CAN use their oven, but if you try to retrieve the bread YOU've baked, it counts as stealing? :argh: KENSHI

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

even in kenshi you must seize the means of production :hai:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
LGBT = Let's Go, Bread Thieves 😔

By the way, I've been wondering about storage. I know that thieves could, in theory, break into your building and steal from your shop counter, but does that apply to every storage item? Do bandits loot your nearby storage if they've beaten you up? What's the most efficient way of just having a secure stash hidden somewhere?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone have any idea how to increase the chances of a Rebirth slave joining you if you free them?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I've finally got a game going pretty well, I'm a bloodthirsty robot samurai who supports his community.

i owe my success to the hive guys who live to the west of the Hub, they are real sweethearts. I went over there after getting tired of being beaten down by bandits over and over and found out that they for some reason really love skeletons? I stuck around in a big-ish town very close to the hub that is constantly being attacked by beak things. I teamed up with the million hivers there to fight them off over and over, and apparently they don't mind if i take the leather and meat from dead beak things.

dragging a dead beak thing around town to become Strong

so selling that let me buy a barbie dream house in the hub, where i've been learning science and ineptly crafting. I still get beaten up by bandits a lot, but its only served to make me very powerful, as a robot can recover much faster than a human if you have the money for the good robot repair kit.

I accidentally went to the holy lands and got arrested, but it turns out if you're a heavy weapons user its actually easier to fight a couple of the tough guards than it is to fight a crowd of starving peasants? I guess it kinda makes sense, they use heavy slow weapons too so you can get more licks in.

anyway it took me a lot of tries to escape from them so i built up a lot of toughness and lockpicking.

right now i'm working on my crafting empire, while carrying a goat with me at all times to become Strongest.

this screenshot is bad, but its me fighting a bunch of starving bandits while carrying my goat and wearing my heavy tradegoods backpack. this is the first fight in this game i have unequivocally won

edit:

:siren: THE GOAT IS NOW ROTTING :siren:

you cant really see in the pic but there are flies circling the carcass and buzzing constantly

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 14, 2019

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

quote:

right now i'm working on my crafting empire, while carrying a goat with me at all times to become Strongest.

New thread title tbh.

Kenshi: right now i'm working on my crafting empire, while carrying a goat with me at all times to become Strongest.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
My playing trajectory is probably going down very predictable paths, as I have just discovered the joy of stealing. I started out thinking I'd be nice to people screw them, they are all assholes.

Questions:
1. Can I turn down the Extreme Hunger other than before starting, or do I need a mod for that?
2. Do I really have to dump food on the ground for my bonedog pup to eat it? It's especially annoying with this 10 nu foul meat which still weights 1 kg, slowing my weaklings down.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

valuum posted:

My playing trajectory is probably going down very predictable paths, as I have just discovered the joy of stealing. I started out thinking I'd be nice to people screw them, they are all assholes.

Questions:
1. Can I turn down the Extreme Hunger other than before starting, or do I need a mod for that?
2. Do I really have to dump food on the ground for my bonedog pup to eat it? It's especially annoying with this 10 nu foul meat which still weights 1 kg, slowing my weaklings down.

You can import and click advance options to lower the hunger. For feeding your animal, if you can get a backpack they will eat from it when they get hungry.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Leal posted:

You can import and click advance options to lower the hunger. For feeding your animal, if you can get a backpack they will eat from it when they get hungry.

Starting a new game and importing my save? Will it keep the house I've bought and the things in it and in storage? The dumb dog is definitely not eating from backpacks, all my 6 misfits have backpacks containing dried meat.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

valuum posted:

Starting a new game and importing my save? Will it keep the house I've bought and the things in it and in storage? The dumb dog is definitely not eating from backpacks, all my 6 misfits have backpacks containing dried meat.

Try raw or foul meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

valuum posted:

Importing will bring you saved stuff into a new game world, but you can keep your research, buildings, anything in containers you own and any important deaths. For the second part, dogs do wait a while before finally eating. Is that the case or is it going below 200?