Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should have won All-Stars?
This poll is closed.
Monet X Change 17 12.41%
Trinity the Tuck 36 26.28%
club96 84 61.31%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'll catch up with the thread now that I've watched the first two eps and untuckeds, but here are my impressions:

Ep 1 and untucked:
So good to see Vanjie back. I liked her look but I goddamn love her talking heads.
Silky is trying too goddamn hard and is all over my nerves. It's a shame because she seems like she could actually be entertaining if she wasn't crawling up the walls constantly.
I was never a big fan of Hannah Montana or Miley Cyrus but I am absolutely loving raspy-voiced older Miley.
Soju's outfit and lip sync stone cold suuuuuucked.

Ep 2 and untucked:
I want Vanjie as a life coach.
Silkie's photo shoot was pretty dang great, but she's still pretty obnoxious otherwise. It's a shame she's so bent on demanding people's attention rather than commanding it, because I think she might actually be able to earn it if she tried.
LOL @ Ross calling Vanjie's performance "a little Cookie Monster".
drat I liked Ra'jah O'hara's runway, that poo poo was brilliant. She kinda seems like she might be a poo poo-stirrer though, so...we'll see.
I'm really liking Yvie.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Fricassee posted:

RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 11: ......... Club 90 cyst........

loving lol why wasn't this implemented :argh:

Pinwiz11 posted:

All this talk about not knowing Bette when I'm sure I'm gay because my parents constantly played The Divine Miss M when I was a small child in the 70s OH GOD I'M SO Old :v:

Extremely same except I know Bette from her HBO special that used to play like literally nonstop for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCcJoiEBw-w

e: Wait I didn't mean to imply that it turned me gay, I was referring to the near-constant Midlering of my childhood. She may have been trying to turn me gay, but I guess it didn't take.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 11, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bette Midler is the biggest inspiration in my life and my eternal kween

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Uppalance. You sub everything.

That lipsync on this week's DRT was everything. Just that short clip of Art getting emotional got me all teary eyed.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Trig Discipline posted:

loving lol why wasn't this implemented :argh:

Extremely same except I know Bette from her HBO special that used to play like literally nonstop for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCcJoiEBw-w

e: Wait I didn't mean to imply that it turned me gay, I was referring to the near-constant Midlering of my childhood. She may have been trying to turn me gay, but I guess it didn't take.

I can't say that I'm very familiar with her music outside of that song from Hocus Pocus, but I do love that she and Barry Manilow got their start performing together in gay bathhouses.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nihonniboku posted:

I can't say that I'm very familiar with her music outside of that song from Hocus Pocus, but I do love that she and Barry Manilow got their start performing together in gay bathhouses.

henny you should watch Beaches asap and then put the soundtrack on repeat tbh

Also the tv movie version of Gypsy is p good. Also The Rose.

also

first wives club gurl

GURL

FOR THE BOYS THO ??

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

esperterra posted:

henny you should watch Beaches asap and then put the soundtrack on repeat tbh

Oh yeah, a friend has been talking about doing a Beaches night for a while now. I should pressure him to make it official.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

That lipsync on this week's DRT was everything. Just that short clip of Art getting emotional got me all teary eyed.

Just holy poo poo. All of it. Holy poo poo.

The musical number was like triple what the ru girls have to do and then Panpan ugly crying and art saying "You get your rear end up there and fight" and them turning out one of the best lip syncs in all of drag race history, holy gently caress.

Look, if you don't watch Drag Race Thailand, at least watch this lip sync. It's phenomenal. There are spoilers surrounding its circumstance.

Kana Warrior is lip syncing for the fourth time. Angele is lip syncing for the first time and has been the clear front runner. Kana says "Let her have it." and P'Art basically says "You're only a loser if you quit" and other judges insinuate that Kana's dishonoring her by not wanting to lip sync.

And they're friends and like each other and turn out this loving lip sync that's AMAZING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZIQA4Sxmt8&t=3m03s

They ducked the sound down but Panpan is LOSING IT in the background, holy gently caress.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 12, 2019

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

DRT never ceases to amaze me with how drat good the performances are. Even with less budget they actually know how to use it, and the challenges are actually challenging. I had to catch up on the last two episodes and it was an absolute joy.

I'm so glad I started watching. It's out there for free and it's actually doing the things RPDR is trying to do (inclusivity, representation, big ideas, heartfelt revelations, fun concepts). Sure you might miss a bunch of cultural references but that's just a window into learning about Thai culture.

Other news: my university is putting on a drag show. I'm fully grabbing all my girls and showing up because YES FINALLY I CAN SUPPORT SOME LOCAL DRAG

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jr. posted:

DRT never ceases to amaze me with how drat good the performances are. Even with less budget they actually know how to use it, and the challenges are actually challenging. I had to catch up on the last two episodes and it was an absolute joy.

I'm so glad I started watching. It's out there for free and it's actually doing the things RPDR is trying to do (inclusivity, representation, big ideas, heartfelt revelations, fun concepts). Sure you might miss a bunch of cultural references but that's just a window into learning about Thai culture.

also, we are all in love with panpan (art is great too)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

my partner yelled "bitch you lie" at the TV when sugah said he was 24, I didn't even question it bc I'm pushing close to 40 and I still get carded

:same:

Whalley posted:

From the first Meet The Queens video all I could think was "This is Milk meets Tammie Brown" and honestly that opinion hasn't changed after the first episode.

Extremely my poo poo.

Tammie Brown was the inspiration for Rex from Hurricane Bianca, yes?

Whalley posted:

Soju makes a living reviewing Drag Race and thought "what if I intentionally do a formless mound of tulle, but Korean" would fly

I'm just impressed that she found a way to make hanbok LESS flattering.

the escape goat posted:

I wish that we could've had more Soju but she was missing words, her dress was literally falling apart, and she had zero chutzpah. It's a drat shame because there is no doubt in my mind that she'd be a far more interesting competitor in the long run.

hellagree

ICHIBAHN posted:

So here's some posi for ye. Re-watching S9 now and I love Love LOVE Sasha so much. Every look is so iconical. Re her finale looks, has she ever spoken of the theory/motivation for them? Has anyone written a decent background on them? Or do they just exist as they are, purely for the aesthetic? It's been incredible watching all the seasons back again (I started watching mid season 10, and went back, twice now). One of the most fun things to see is exactly who pushed drag forward and how they were recieved: Raja, Sharon obviously, Sasha... I just adore how these queens can be perfect in so many ways; acerbic, beautiful, frightening and charismatic. Anyway, back to negi innevitably...

I wish we were permitted to engage with this poster so I could talk Sasha, but since they've made it perfectly clear that we cannot address them at all...

jit bull transpile posted:

Hey yall I survived

Congratulations!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's pretty safe to say at this point that DRT is the better show, right?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i feel like I'm gonna have a stroke that there's two people in two different fashion review shows that thought of Hillary Duff when they saw ariel's entrance look.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyone got a hook up for watching DRT in the UK?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

tote up a bags posted:

It's pretty safe to say at this point that DRT is the better show, right?

100%. Unfortunately Ru and vh1 and the judges panel are really dragging down RPDR.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

Just follow Kudalakorn on Twitter. He's got links to the epiosdes he subs.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought Yvie looked terrible with that ugly robot lion. :smith:

I went back and finished up S8 with Bob the Drag Queen winning and while they are super entertaining their drag was nowhere near as good as Naomi's or Kim Chi's.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Vintersorg posted:

I went back and finished up S8 with Bob the Drag Queen winning and while they are super entertaining their drag was nowhere near as good as Naomi's or Kim Chi's.

I think Bob won on the strength of their performing ability. Their look was never my favorite or generally polished. Kim Chi definitely deserved more than she received, and TBH Naomi should have won over Monet in AS4 (I love Monet, no shade), but Bob was a one-human circus. My husband doesn't watch the show, but he watched S8 just because he thought Bob was so talented.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ICHIBAHN posted:

Most people outside of Thailand are relying on the fansubs being done by @KudaLakorn. He usually posts his subs a couple days after each episode airs.

Not sure if it would be :filez: to post it here but if you follow him on twitter he has a master list of all the episodes he's subbed as his pinned tweet.

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 12, 2019

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Vintersorg posted:

I had a big conversation with my friend about this, it definitely felt like a weird look to me. It felt like an excellent concept that was kind of messy and crafty in its execution, but the judges ate it up :shrug:

I would love to see a runway queen like Raja or Violet take on the same concept.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I cant go back now but who was in the purple Capricorn look? I thought that was goddamn amazing and I loved the cheeky flashing at the end. It was so well put together!

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I cant go back now but who was in the purple Capricorn look? I thought that was goddamn amazing and I loved the cheeky flashing at the end. It was so well put together!

Ariel Versace.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Every time I watch a runway, my no-fashion-sense rear end tries to figure out what I'd wear for the theme, and oooh bitch if my cusp rear end was on this season...
Then again, I'd also turn it into a Homestuck reference so it's probably for the best.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Vintersorg posted:

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Ariel Versace.

Bitch was definitely ready to lip sync for her life. So far her attitude and style just screams basic to me, but that hint of preparation makes me excited to see what she can do when she really does have to lip sync.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Tired Moritz posted:

i feel like I'm gonna have a stroke that there's two people in two different fashion review shows that thought of Hillary Duff when they saw ariel's entrance look.
God, it wasn't just me. Are Aquaria and Kalorie the same age or something? The Lizzie Mcquire Movie is such a weird pull.

Poulpe posted:

I had a big conversation with my friend about this, it definitely felt like a weird look to me. It felt like an excellent concept that was kind of messy and crafty in its execution, but the judges ate it up :shrug:

I think they liked that she went in a less-obvious direction, but I agree that the actual costume she was wearing was yeah kind of crafty and weird. I mean, the other Leo looks were 'literally a lion' and 'ugly dress with a lion decal', so she's gonna stand out. I did like Honey's, though. I hope Nina can bring something more interesting to the runway soon.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hillary Duff is iconique for a lot of younger gays, so it doesn't surprise me much.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There's so many at the start of a season I can't remember who is who except runways. :lol: Can't remember Ariels' prep antics. :3:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

She did quote the Lizzie McGuire movie so the reference was obvious.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
drat, shows what I know about Lizzie Mcquire then.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
All I know is that Hillary Duff gives head when she get proposed to and Aaron Carter is stalking her.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tired Moritz posted:

All I know is that Hillary Duff gives head when she get proposed to

lmfao I almost forgot about that.

A true kween

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

next ep's preview is up, on FB if you ain't bothered by that

https://www.facebook.com/rupaulsdragrace/videos/562799210894096/?v=562799210894096

misc thoughts:

Ariel Versace in the spotlight. honestly i don't mind if she's going home.
Plastique is a cutey and consistently hilarious. put her in the final four.
... did Ariel just call crumpets "crimpets"?
wow Silky takes even a minichallenge to a weirdly physical place

as always, i love love love mini-challenges. i wish allstars had mini-challenges! i wish the whole show was stupid minichallenges, photoshoots and runways. ditch the scripted nonsense. just get a camera on these girls and tell them to hamm it up.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

God dammit, this is a challenge meant for a season with Monique in it.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

next ep's preview is up, on FB if you ain't bothered by that

wow Silky takes even a minichallenge to a weirdly physical place

Silky takes everything to a weirdly physical place and spends 80% of her time talking about her size. I'm fuckin' over it. And her getting naked during last week's minichallenge was awful unless she got the consent of everyone around her. Not everyone is comfortable seeing people just whip their dick out, and Silky just making people deal with it isn't acceptable imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like seeing people's dicks is probably par for the course in a dressing room full of drag queens.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Let's be real, if they did see it they'd have to be deliberately trying.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I really hope next episode is gonna be the last acting maxi-challenge for a while. I felt like that was practically 80% of season 10 (please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but that's what it felt like) and between AS3 and 4 having nothing but, I am just super burnt out by that at this point. just please let us watch the queens crash and burn trying to construct several themed outfits

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ulvir posted:

I really hope next episode is gonna be the last acting maxi-challenge for a while. I felt like that was practically 80% of season 10 (please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but that's what it felt like) and between AS3 and 4 having nothing but, I am just super burnt out by that at this point. just please let us watch the queens crash and burn trying to construct several themed outfits

I'm assuming next episode is an improv challenge, which tbh I am fine with having a decent amount of improv challenges, because being quick on your toes is a huge part of being a successful Drag Queen at really any level of fame. The overabundance of scripted challenges in recent seasons is the true sin.

But yeah I'd hope for a diff style of challenge for the episode after. I hope we get a couple more design challenges before the whatever Ball we get this year.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm not a normal dad I'm a cool dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vanessa is a gift