Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fox gets maybe 5-6 games each season and maybe 2 are of consequence, what is that show going to lead into? Them just begging people to tune over to FS1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Fox gets maybe 5-6 games each season and maybe 2 are of consequence, what is that show going to lead into? Them just begging people to tune over to FS1?

There were like 36 games on Fox last year, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Goddamn, how they not gonna get Walton in there?

I don't think ESPN rents guys out for it anymore, unfortunately. Bilas used to the do the tournament every year too and hasn't in awhile.

Granted I'm on the west coast where it starts at like 6 am so I barely watch anymore but is the market for pregame shows really so big that it's worth spending a bunch of money to try and fail to take on game day? That show is an institution is a way that feels impossible to compete with.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

There were like 36 games on Fox last year, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Well shut me up then! I thought they still only had a few on the national network.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MourningView posted:

Granted I'm on the west coast where it starts at like 6 am so I barely watch anymore but is the market for pregame shows really so big that it's worth spending a bunch of money to try and fail to take on game day? That show is an institution is a way that feels impossible to compete with.

Gotta lay the groundwork now so it's not quite as obvious that you're trying to swoop in after Corso dies

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Well shut me up then! I thought they still only had a few on the national network.

They have a prime time game every week now, I think? They also get half the big ten tier one rights, which means a lot of games with OSU, who is the most consistent TV draw.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Plus, I wonder how many people tune into GameDay simply because it is the only thing to watch in the morning. I know I don't really watch it because I genuinely enjoy it anymore. I just watch it out of habit. Though honestly, I can't really say Urban Meyer or Reggie Bush are going to do anything to get me to switch over.

MourningView posted:

They have a prime time game every week now, I think? They also get half the big ten tier one rights, which means a lot of games with OSU, who is the most consistent TV draw.

Yeah, Fox actually had the top rated game of the regular season last year. Granted it was OSU-Mich but still. They consistently feature games with top ranked teams from the Big Ten, Big XII, and Pac12.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 11, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

Plus, I wonder how many people tune into GameDay simply because it is the only thing to watch in the morning. I know I don't really watch it because I genuinely enjoy it anymore. I just watch it out of habit. Though honestly, I can't really say Urban Meyer or Reggie Bush are going to do anything to get me to switch over.

Yeah the show has been a shell of itself ever since Corso had his stroke but it's so engrained in the culture of college football that it's hard to imagine anything breaking through. People just flip it on in the morning out of habit. Having it on campus is a huge event too, assuming you aren't one of the schools who get it multiple times every season.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Yeah, Fox actually had the top rated game of the regular season last year. Granted it was OSU-Mich but still. They consistently feature games with top ranked teams from the Big Ten, Big XII, and Pac12.

apparently the number one reason for getting big ten games was so they'd have the rights to michigan-ohio state

co-owning the big ten network certainly also helps

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

apparently the number one reason for getting big ten games was so they'd have the rights to michigan-ohio state

co-owning the big ten network certainly also helps

Yeah even if they don't get many marquee matchups overall, that's for drat sure the one to have. Don't they also have Oklahoma/Texas?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

DJExile posted:

Yeah even if they don't get many marquee matchups overall, that's for drat sure the one to have. Don't they also have Oklahoma/Texas?

They do! Gus calling last year’s Texas/OU was pretty cool, given the game was nuts.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I actually mark the loss of OSU-UM, UT-OU as landmark events in the demise of (whatever is left of) ABC Sports.

Those were BIG DEAL games for that network for quite some time. Only CBS during some unusual period in the 80's (82-86) actually covered OSU-UM prior to that.

I do think Fox Sports/FS1 is trying to make a move to get more CFB rights.

They're going to try like hell to get the rights to the CFP IMO.

2024 is not that far off...

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't know about the CFP going to Fox Sports, but I'm certain come 2021 almost all the MLB that's currently on ESPN will be on FS1. Considering the differing levels of coverage with studio shows, it's clear that ESPN pivoting more to basketball coverage.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

I don't know about the CFP going to Fox Sports, but I'm certain come 2021 almost all the MLB that's currently on ESPN will be on FS1. Considering the differing levels of coverage with studio shows, it's clear that ESPN pivoting more to basketball coverage.

I was getting in an argument with someone recently on twitter about my favorite series/sport being on ESPN or NBCSN recently. (Pretty much the drat avatar. They are irrelevant to this conversation.).

I pretty much went "They have zero infrastructure for it anymore" and I think that's going to be true for a lot of other things on that network in the coming years.

That network invested quite a bit in the rights to SEC, ACC Basketball and the NBA. I think they're going to put even more of a focus on that with their programming and promotional efforts. When you have the rights to the NBA and it's (by default) minor league competition (Kentucky, UNC, Duke)? That's gonna be what the focus is going to be.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Not that it won’t happen, but I have a hard time imagining ESPN completely abandoning baseball, solely for the reason that for 2 months out of the year it’s the only major sport playing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They did axe Baseball Tonight though. ESPN's problem also stems from that absolutely lovely NFL contract they signed.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

They did axe Baseball Tonight though. ESPN's problem also stems from that absolutely lovely NFL contract they signed.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/10/26/Media/ESPN.aspx

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/just-admit-the-nba-deal-is-screwing-you-espn_us_58d98250e4b0e6062d92300f

1.4 BILLION for the NBA.

Silver, the owners and to a way lesser extent the players have to be cackling that someone from Bristol had to go to the Mouse and go "PLEASE! WE NEED THAT TO KEEP THE NBA!"

Really one of their biggest missteps ever was lowballing the Big Ten
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/07/01/Media/Big-10-Network.aspx

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 12, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bloomberg posted:

Disney lost just under $100 million on streaming in the first quarter and expects to lose an additional $200 million on its online video efforts in the second quarter, mostly to develop ESPN+, its subscription sports channel. The company will also surrender about $150 million in operating income after cutting off licensing to competing services, executives said on a February call. “Captain Marvel,” a superhero blockbuster that opened Friday, is the first Disney movie in years that won’t eventually show on Netflix.
Michael Nathanson, a media analyst with MoffettNathanson, expects the Burbank, California-based entertainment giant to lose more than $1 billion this year and another $1 billion next year by forgoing licensing deals and investing in its online video business, including Disney+, which will be the TV home for the company’s movies when it debuts later this year.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Guess why they don’t care? Their 2019 movie lineup:
Captain Marvel
Avengers Endgame
Dumbo
The Lion King
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Frozen II
Star Wars Episode IX

And all of those will be hitting Disney+ next year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh yeah, disney's absolutely playing the long game here and they're going to make a shitload, it was just interesting to see the costs of espn+

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Captain Marvel
Avengers Endgame
Dumbo
The Lion King
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
Frozen II
Star Wars Episode IX

So what's the deal with Dumbo? I've never seen a trailer or TV Spot since Captain Marvel and that trailer informed me it comes out this month? That seems really weird.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

So what's the deal with Dumbo? I've never seen a trailer or TV Spot since Captain Marvel and that trailer informed me it comes out this month? That seems really weird.

Yeah I haven't seen much marketing of it at all, just a couple trailers at recent movies. Maybe they're pushing it harder on disney network or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I can confirm that it has been advertised hard during the Bachelor

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, I mean, investment in Hulu cost Disney about half a BILLION dollars last year. If I’m a businessperson, I’d try and figure that problem out.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's going to be a lot of short term loss but I'd be shocked if this didn't end up paying off for Disney.

I mean, they're going to have a streaming service with every Disney movie ever, every Marvel movie, a ton of Star Wars content, new content from all three of those brands on a regular basis and they don't have to pay to license any of it because they own it. In the long haul, I think that's going to pay off. Disney + is going to have a fuckload of subscribers when it hits.

Now, after that Hulu investment, Hulu is basically going to be the same thing but for the non-family friendly content.

Though on the sports side, I think they're going to have a very rough time with ESPN+ not bleeding money indefinitely.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Disney+ is going to be a license to print money. It will be goddamn absurd.

ESPN's got to get their books in order though. They need the NFL something fierce but that MNF contract is just such a millstone.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
They might try bundling ESPN+ and Disney+ together for a cheaper price than you'd pay for them separately, just to float ESPN+ for awhile.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

They might try bundling ESPN+ and Disney+ together for a cheaper price than you'd pay for them separately, just to float ESPN+ for awhile.

Yeah I assume bundling all this poo poo together is the end goal.

Eventually it's going to be cheaper to just keep cable lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Eventually it's going to be cheaper to just keep cable lol

seriously, i feel like we're getting pretty close to this tipping point.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
People keep saying that, but the beauty of this model is that it is super easy to eliminate the services you don't want or need and then resubscribe to them whenever you want. I literally only watch ESPN during college football season and have absolutely no use for it the other 7 months out of the year. But if I wanted to not pay for ESPN for 7 months out of the year with cable, that is literally impossible. You're paying (A LOT) for ESPN no matter what cable package you have.

As it is now, yeah, I've probably subscribed to a dozen different streaming services, but never more than 2 or 3 at a time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DJExile posted:

seriously, i feel like we're getting pretty close to this tipping point.

I would think this might be the end goal for some of these companies. Make it so you a la carte streaming plans ending up being way more than just going back to a cable package. Hell, I do Netflix, and HBO Now, those two things, plus my costs for internet alone are probably only saving me $20/mo if I got cable (plus regular HBO). If I added one more streaming service on there, I might as well get cable again. Anyone know what Disney+ plans to charge?

I think we're in a golden age of choices right now, but I can't see it lasting more than a few more years before one of the big services has a crash. I just don't see how Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon, and all the various premium cable channels can afford to pay for all of these shows at the rates they're charging. Netflix charges less than HBO does, while putting out probably 3x the amount of content. Now HBO shows tend to be better than Netflix shows, and cost more to make, but something still has to be way off here.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mahoning posted:

i swore i heard something about a espn+/disney+/hulu bundling discount coming

like today i heard there's now a spotify/hulu bundling discount

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/BarstoolBigCat/status/1105532751850164224

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Captain Marvel
Avengers Endgame
Dumbo
The Lion King
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
Frozen II
Star Wars Episode IX

Lion King remake and Dumbo one depress me being a fan of the OG. Just a stupid side note. (Animation nerd. )

But yeah Disney proper is on top of the world right now with the rights they hate. I imagine the ROI they're getting versus what they paid has to be insane.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
ESPN+ is growing faster than these things usually grow for what it's worth. They've been maintaining their MMA crowd instead of people cancelling after big shows.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

also the fox deal is supposed to be completed next wednesday

there's another boatload of stuff coming

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I travel a lot for work and I've gotten a bunch of co-workers into ESPN+ because you can download stuff for offline viewing. All the guys are watching 30 for 30's on the plane now instead of crappy movies.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I travel a lot for work and I've gotten a bunch of co-workers into ESPN+ because you can download stuff for offline viewing. All the guys are watching 30 for 30's on the plane now instead of crappy movies.

Oh poo poo I didn't know you could do that. That's... actually making ESPN+ pretty tempting now.

I assume that's only to programs like those, or can you download the actual games they cover too?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't know you could do that. That's... actually making ESPN+ pretty tempting now.

I assume that's only to programs like those, or can you download the actual games they cover too?

It doesn’t appear to work for games or events but all the 30 for 30s and their shows can be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/andrewmarchand/status/1106312853668200448?s=21

e:

https://twitter.com/andrewmarchand/status/1106317055119237120?s=21

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 14, 2019