Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
I can't help but feel if it was an A320neo or A30XWB the FAA would have either grounded them or reduced ETOPS to like 60 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1105468569800839169
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1105471621672960000

Well, time for a thread title change for this group of Einsteins

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
And all this time I thought people were being disparaging when they'd say "No poo poo, Einstein"

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1105470096691089413

Well, this is turning into a nice little clusterfuck isn't it?

Edit:

Word on the street is that EASA is about to issue a grounding order for the max.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 12, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/Pages/DCA19MA086.aspx

quote:

Also, about this time, the FDR data indicated that some small vertical accelerations consistent with the airplane entering turbulence. Shortly after, when the airplane’s indicated airspeed was steady about 230 knots, the engines increased to maximum thrust, and the airplane pitch increased to about 4° nose up and then rapidly pitched nose down to about 49° in response to column input. The stall warning (stick shaker) did not activate.

FDR, radar, and ADS-B data indicated that the airplane entered a rapid descent on a heading of 270°, reaching an airspeed of about 430 knots. A security camera video (figure 4) captured the airplane in a steep, generally wings-level attitude until impact with the swamp. FDR data indicated that the airplane gradually pitched up to about 20 degrees nose down during the descent.

:wtc:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

pitched nose down to about 49° in response to column input

Oh god. Please tell me this wasn't intentional.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

He even contradicts himself. :wtc:

Oh maaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I hope it's not another Eurowings. :wtc: indeed.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
“Things are too complicated!” He typed with two fingers.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
It's bumpy, a particular bump jolts it up a few degrees, and as it's the hardest jolt of the flight so far, the cargo securing device that was getting ready to let go all flight long finally lets go due to this jolt, cargo shifts forward? (At the same time that a stick forward input is made in response to the gust)

Dammit, I'm of the ideal (when it comes time to voice lofty ideals) that we should avoid wild speculation and let the NTSB do its job while the wreckage is still warm, but I can't stop myself :(

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

vessbot posted:

It's bumpy, a particular bump jolts it up a few degrees, and as it's the hardest jolt of the flight so far, the cargo securing device that was getting ready to let go all flight long finally lets go due to this jolt, cargo shifts forward? (At the same time that a stick forward input is made in response to the gust)

Dammit, I'm of the ideal (when it comes time to voice lofty ideals) that we should avoid wild speculation and let the NTSB do its job while the wreckage is still warm, but I can't stop myself :(

"Nose pitched to 49 degrees nose down in response to control column input" and "Engines spooled up to max thrust" together kinda put the lie to this hopeful theory

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Regarding the MAX, I find it plausible to think it's not a fundamentally flawed aircraft but there could be something like occurred with MU-2s in that there's a particularly difficult or counterintuitive response to a certain abnormal situation. Does that mean it's broken per se? No, but also Boeing can't simply ignore the issue. I'm not sure if grounding the fleet is necessary but it's probably prudent.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Regarding the MAX, I find it plausible to think it's not a fundamentally flawed aircraft but there could be something like occurred with MU-2s in that there's a particularly difficult or counterintuitive response to a certain abnormal situation. Does that mean it's broken per se? No, but also Boeing can't simply ignore the issue. I'm not sure if grounding the fleet is necessary but it's probably prudent.

If so then surely they need to ground the fleet until adding the MAX to your 737 NG type rating is more than an hour long video?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

a patagonian cavy posted:

"Nose pitched to 49 degrees nose down in response to control column input" and "Engines spooled up to max thrust" together kinda put the lie to this hopeful theory

I think it's plausible enough that the person writing these super tight-lipped preliminary updates that only list the barest of facts, could have skipped a "... despite a full aft column input until the impact."

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
From "Aeronautical Insanity".

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m listening to an NPR interview of a 737 MAX pilot for American and he says that his training for the new planes amounted to “56 minutes on an iPad” which was “basically slides and audios” describing the differences. The interviewer also asks if he would have known what to do had he been the the pilot on the Lion Air flight and he says that he knows now because Boeing apparently didn’t mention the new system in their manuals.

https://overcast.fm/+nmn7rqq0 interview starts about 5 minutes in and lasts until 12 minutes in. The whole interview is full of wtf.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

vessbot posted:

I think it's plausible enough that the person writing these super tight-lipped preliminary updates that only list the barest of facts, could have skipped a "... despite a full aft column input until the impact."

Is it implying that the pilot was suicidal or extremely incompetent?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is it implying that the pilot was suicidal or extremely incompetent?

With what they've released as of now, every possibility is open. With my fictional details that you quoted, it might point to a cargo shift or control malfunction.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

Well, it is and it isn't. The MAX has all kinds of poo poo in it that would never fly (:haw:) today in any clean-sheet aircraft, like the warning system, the overhead panel straight out of the Flintstones and all kinds of structural engineering convention that has long since been confined to the wastebin. Add a set of larger, more powerful engines (and all the associated issues with that) and increase the aircraft's size and gross weight far beyond what the original design had anticipated, and you have a recipe for an aircraft that has some rather messy handling characteristics and operating procedures.

Now I'm not saying that Boeing didn't spend a huge amount of time anticipating and dealing with said issues - they absolutely did, and the aircraft was very rigourously tested - but it's entirely plausible that they and the FAA missed something in flight testing and the certification process, and when it seems (to me at least) like Boeing is putting bandaid fixes on bandaid fixes to meet an equivalent level of safety, it would indicate that maybe the design has run out upgradability. Personally, I have no horse in this race, but it would seem to me that maybe we are long overdue putting the 737 family out to pasture and going to a clean-sheet design.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

Personally, I have no horse in this race, but it would seem to me that maybe we are long overdue putting the 737 family out to pasture and going to a clean-sheet design.

The Max was a hedge (much like the 747-800) after Boeing decided that replacing the 767-200 and 757s was a better financial move than designing a clean-sheet 737 replacement. It’s still on their list of things to do, but it got moved down the priority list a bit.

IIRC correctly, the clean-sheet design was temporarily shelved in 2015.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

The Max was a hedge (much like the 747-800) after Boeing decided that replacing the 767-200 and 757s was a better financial move than designing a clean-sheet 737 replacement. It’s still on their list of things to do, but it got moved down the priority list a bit.

IIRC correctly, the clean-sheet design was temporarily shelved in 2015.

Boeing still doesn't have a 757 replacement though?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Boeing still doesn't have a 757 replacement though?

It’s their current in-progress design.

That said, it probably won’t resemble the 757 as much as the 767. Personally, I think the 757 is the most beautiful twinjet ever built.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Kind of ridiculous the 737 can seat more than a 757-200 now.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

MrChips posted:

Personally, I have no horse in this race, but it would seem to me that maybe we are long overdue putting the 737 family out to pasture and going to a clean-sheet design.

The funny thing is is that the max essentially is a clean sheet airplane from the flight deck door back. New wing, tail, apu, engines, landing gear, brakes, and avionics. Even the way the fuselage is built is different I believe. They just grafted the antediluvian cockpit on the front and called it a 737 and the airlines that operate them can give their pilots an hour of PowerPoint slides for transition training.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

vessbot posted:

With what they've released as of now, every possibility is open. With my fictional details that you quoted, it might point to a cargo shift or control malfunction.

I can pretty much guarantee it wasn't a cargo shift on an Amazon flight

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

That said, it probably won’t resemble the 757 as much as the 767. Personally, I think the 757 is the most beautiful twinjet ever built.

Somebody post the pic of the really long 757 please

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Arson Daily posted:

antediluvian cockpit

I had to google this word. Thank you for the image.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Arson Daily posted:

If a MAX crashes here or in another western country then get worried, otherwise it’s just third world aviation.

This is some ignorant poo poo. I've flown on Ethiopian many times and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rickety Cricket posted:

This is some ignorant poo poo. I've flown on Ethiopian many times and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

It seems the rest of the interest is suggesting the pilots weren't trained well.

That the pilots should have been trained to override the MCAS by either just trimming normally or held the trim wheel in place.

So either bad training or pilot error.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 13, 2019

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

a patagonian cavy posted:

How unrealistic would "pilot got caught off balance by a jolt, fell forward on the throttle and stick" be?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

NightGyr posted:

How unrealistic would "pilot got caught off balance by a jolt, fell forward on the throttle and stick" be?

Probably not realistic because in arrival/approach phases of flight, the pilots are strapped in and would be aware of oncoming turbulence. Even in the rinky dink general aviation stuff I fly, you wouldn’t be thrown forward into the control column. The airplane isn’t being stopped with your body inside it continuing to move forward via inertia.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This story is getting real dumb real fast

quote:

Pilots repeatedly voiced safety concerns about the Boeing 737 Max 8 to federal authorities, with one captain calling the flight manual "inadequate and almost criminally insufficient" several months before Sunday's Ethiopian Air crash that killed 157 people, an investigation by The Dallas Morning News found.

The News found five complaints about the Boeing model in a federal database where pilots can voluntarily report about aviation incidents without fear of repercussions.

The complaints are about the safety mechanism cited in preliminary reports about an October Boeing 737 Max 8 crash in Indonesia that killed 189.

The disclosures found by The News reference problems with an autopilot system, and they all occurred during the ascent after takeoff. Many mentioned the plane suddenly nosing down. While records show these flights occurred in October and November, the airlines the pilots were flying for is redacted from the database.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Now the 737 Max is grounded in the US too. Southwest has to be thrilled at parking 35 airplanes on top of their ongoing cancellations from their maintenance dispute.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Its fun as hell right now here:

KCOS 131912Z 34047G84KT 1/8SM R17L/0500V1000FT +SN BLSN VV008 M03/M03 A2905 RMK AO2 PK WND 32084/1904 T10281028 PNO $

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

0toShifty posted:

KCOS 131912Z 34047G84KT 1/8SM R17L/0500V1000FT +SN BLSN VV008 M03/M03 A2905 RMK AO2 PK WND 32084/1904 T10281028 PNO $

Hmmm...

Yeah, I think I'd like to avoid that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

0toShifty posted:

It was below 29” earlier

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

0toShifty posted:

I want to go stand out there with a beer. I was in Jackson a few weeks ago when it was -18F before wind chill and sometimes it’s just interesting to walk outside and see what total winter hell feels like.

Also 29.05, that’s nuts.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrYenko posted:

I know there was talk a couple years ago that Boeing was considering restarting the 757 line because a) there's still no plane which can adequately replace it and b) the plane found a new niche doing extensive TATL flying not too long after Boeing shuttered the line.

Delta just refurbished 100 -200s (including the ex-TWA frames they got from AA in 2007 and a few they picked up from China in the 2010s, including the last few off the line) and has kept all their -300s to this point as well and they can take my money all they want for that.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Put this next to the “even the pilots were barfing” PIREP

https://twitter.com/psswx/status/1105887803806834689

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

/RM PILOTS HAVE poo poo SELVES SMELL MDT-SEV

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

File that under the “no poo poo Sherlock” heading. Maybe they’d like to fly through a 50000 foot thunderstorm next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

Also 29.05, that’s nuts.

We didn't get that low but I just set a personal record of 29.11 landing in OMA.