Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pass then. The new soundtrack almost feels like some joke with how terrible it is.

What's the problem? Never played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deified Data posted:

What's the problem? Never played.

It's just nowhere near as good as the original, and there's zero chance in hell of it ever reappearing due to the composer taking his ball and going home. Danny B has the license for it and parted on very bad terms with Team Meat.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

World of Final Fantasy is not a good game and its cuteness wont carry you as far as you think. The biggest issues with it is its actual story doesnt exist until you get the first credits roll in chapter 20 out of 21 and more isnt dolled out until you finish a huge list of dull sidequests and the game is abominably slow. You will be playing the entire game holding the fastforward button and it will still be agonizingly slow.

On top of this combat is dreadful, the entire stack mechanic is poorly thought out, and items are basically superior to magic for the entire game. Oh and leveling your monsters is, again, dreadfully slow and unsatisfying while somehow made massively more convoluted and difficult to understand than ever necessary and the pool of monsters is not very deep for iconic monsters you care about in FF but extremely deep for palette swaps of "generic wolf" and "generic bat"

Oh man, thank you for this post, Ive been hovering over the buy button on WoFF the whole time it's been on sale but never pulled the trigger and now I can safely forget about it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I liked WoFF...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Disclosure: I haven't played it. I'm planning on getting it, and have read and watched about 20 reviews so far. If you liked the original, and want that, but a bit more fleshed out, go for it. If you're looking for a sequel that adds a bunch of poo poo into the mix, you won't find it there. I guess think of it as 'What if the original had 25 more levels, and a few new things? Plus the ability to play online, and also with 3 other people this time?'

There are unlockables, and stats now, which is neat. Really, if you love TJ&E1 (and parts of 2), get it. If not, then don't.
Yeah I loved the original, and while yeah a bunch of new stuff might be nice, "the original with more levels and online play" sounds just fine.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Oh man, thank you for this post, Ive been hovering over the buy button on WoFF the whole time it's been on sale but never pulled the trigger and now I can safely forget about it.
Seconded, glad I waited before jumping on that low low price. The demo was cute but now I'm wary.

Takoluka posted:

I liked WoFF...
I'm still listening though! :) What did you like about it?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's just nowhere near as good as the original, and there's zero chance in hell of it ever reappearing due to the composer taking his ball and going home. Danny B has the license for it and parted on very bad terms with Team Meat.

Wow I just looked at what he's done and super meat boy, crypt of the necrodancer and original binding of Isaac all had incredible sound tracks. I wonder what they did to piss him off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I loved the original, and while yeah a bunch of new stuff might be nice, "the original with more levels and online play" sounds just fine.

I think you could compare it to the Perfect Dark HD XBLA port that came out... *checks* holy poo poo, in 5 days it will have been nine years ago :corsair: Such a great port, but if you didn't like Perfect Dark 64 for reasons other than slowdown and no online play, you won't suddenly like that port, either. Except this is a true sequel to TJ&E, technically.

poo poo, now I want to buy it even more. :ohdear:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Seconded, glad I waited before jumping on that low low price. The demo was cute but now I'm wary.

I'm still listening though! :) What did you like about it?

I'm not who you quoted but I did play maybe 12-15 hours on PS4 of WoFF. I'm someone that enjoys unique systems in RPGs and found the monster leveling system to look interesting, but it ended up being pretty shallow, same with stacking. It's a game that seems like it has a lot of choices but doesn't. Everything is so railroaded. It was nice to see run into the summons but most of the monsters were fantasy generic garbage. There also wasn't much of a story.

If you just want something to grind while you don't really pay attention the game will do the job nicely. The reason I didn't finish the game is something better came out. Which is ultimately it's problem, it doesn't do much to be anything but a generic RPG but it has systems that looks like it's more.

It's an okay game.

I think Octopath is a better game, but that also suffers many of the same problems, job system that seems like it's going to be deep, but isn't. Octopath does have the additional problem of way too long of scenes and with 8 concurrent stories at least one of them is going to annoy you and make you question why you are still playing. So I guess the real question is, what did you think of Octopath?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

I can go a bit in depth since I've been playing a lot of it.

So the core of the game is still TJ&E1, i.e. roguelite stacked levels and finding ship pieces. There is a smattering of TJ&E2, such as Hyperfunk Zone, shaking/searching trees and some of the enemies. Because of all the stuff you can shake, the maps are a lot denser than the first game but also there's plenty more to do. In early maps you can shake everything with reckless abandon and rack up presents/money but later maps are just too dangerous. You can stop to shake something but it'll probably get you run over by the lawnmower guy or something.

There's also sunflowers. If you stand still in them, Earthlings can't see you. This is a godsend. Notably though, maps can be snowy now (instead of just grass or desert). If it's snowy there's no flowers to hide in, but because all the lakes have frozen over you can stand on those, Earthlings can't get on them unless they fly (so the drone or the ghost cow).

As Rupert Buttermilk said, there's stats now. Like in the first game, ToeJam is faster and Earl has more health. When you promote, however, you get randomized stat increases which can keep it fresh (my Earl ended up faster than my partner's ToeJam in my last run). Other characters have different starting stats, like Peabo has a shitload of luck.

There's other stuff I could go into (unlockable hats etc.) but I'll leave it there. Overall though I'm a big fan. One thing to note is there's occasional performance hitches. It's not just a Switch thing though, I think all consoles have it (they optimized for Steam/PC). Occasional bugs too but nothing that ruins it. The devs are actively collecting bug reports and will be patching.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MechaSeinfeld posted:

man why is Diablo 3 consistently the most expensive game for the Switch. even second hand it's around the same as brand new.

It's worth full price

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sudden Javelin posted:

I can go a bit in depth since I've been playing a lot of it.

So the core of the game is still TJ&E1, i.e. roguelite stacked levels and finding ship pieces. There is a smattering of TJ&E2, such as Hyperfunk Zone, shaking/searching trees and some of the enemies. Because of all the stuff you can shake, the maps are a lot denser than the first game but also there's plenty more to do. In early maps you can shake everything with reckless abandon and rack up presents/money but later maps are just too dangerous. You can stop to shake something but it'll probably get you run over by the lawnmower guy or something.

There's also sunflowers. If you stand still in them, Earthlings can't see you. This is a godsend. Notably though, maps can be snowy now (instead of just grass or desert). If it's snowy there's no flowers to hide in, but because all the lakes have frozen over you can stand on those, Earthlings can't get on them unless they fly (so the drone or the ghost cow).

As Rupert Buttermilk said, there's stats now. Like in the first game, ToeJam is faster and Earl has more health. When you promote, however, you get randomized stat increases which can keep it fresh (my Earl ended up faster than my partner's ToeJam in my last run). Other characters have different starting stats, like Peabo has a shitload of luck.

There's other stuff I could go into (unlockable hats etc.) but I'll leave it there. Overall though I'm a big fan. One thing to note is there's occasional performance hitches. It's not just a Switch thing though, I think all consoles have it (they optimized for Steam/PC). Occasional bugs too but nothing that ruins it. The devs are actively collecting bug reports and will be patching.

This is some good poo poo, awesome and thank you. Again, this just makes me want it all the more. Soon, soon.

EDIT: vvv Nice forums name :smug:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 12, 2019

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If I've never played final fantasy before would you get 7 or 9 on switch? Have to make a decision here before I go off the grid for a month

Barudak
May 7, 2007

flashman posted:

If I've never played final fantasy before would you get 7 or 9 on switch? Have to make a decision here before I go off the grid for a month

You aren't going to go wrong with either one. 9 is going to be prettier graphically and have a bit more refinement as well as its translation being massively better while 7 has faster/better battles and, while opinion, generally regarded as a significantly better and more engaging story.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 12, 2019

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

flashman posted:

In my view 7 has the better non main plot side content. I love 9 very dearly but i only really play the main story when i play it whereas i can get into a lot of the side stuff in 7 more easily. As a possible thought on how much content you will get if you are leaving civilisation for a month.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The way they uprezzed the 3D polygons while doing nothing with the 2D backgrounds looks like spectacular rear end though. Like they smeared Vaseline over everything that wasn't a polygon.

"What do you expect them to do? Redraw the backgrounds?"

Yes. :colbert:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The answers to every question about what to get are:

Hollow Knight
Celeste

Thanks for reading.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know it looks like a PSX game to me, which it is

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rolo posted:

The answers to every question about what to get are:

Hollow Knight
Celeste

Thanks for reading.

What to get after getting and finishing HK and Celeste multiple times?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Imagined posted:

The way they uprezzed the 3D polygons while doing nothing with the 2D backgrounds looks like spectacular rear end though. Like they smeared Vaseline over everything that wasn't a polygon.

This is why you work nondestructively and obsessively archive hires originals

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Imagined posted:

This is why you work nondestructively and obsessively archive hi-res originals

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

It feels a lot like the old cartoons with painted backgrounds and cels for movement. So like, Scooby Doo would need to find a specific book to trigger the secret passage or whatever and the object that is going to move stands out like a sore thumb because it's not part of the differently stylized background.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
HK
Celeste
Dead Cells
Stardew Valley

Congratulations, you never need to buy another game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

HK
Celeste
Dead Cells
Stardew Valley

Congratulations, you never need to buy another game.

Dead cells doesn't deserve to hang in that league imo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Andrast posted:

Dead cells doesn't deserve to hang in that league imo

It’s as good if not better than some of the games listed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s as good if not better than some of the games listed.

I found it really repetitive. There are barely any interesting choices to make during a run so they end up feeling really samey. All the roguelikes that I like a lot have way more going on than dead cells in that department.

Also the early game is easy as hell so every loving run is just you speeding through trivial areas until you get to the interesting parts

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
If you're a Celeste fan and never played Towerfall (the developer's previous title), you need to play Towerfall, because it's a better game than Celeste.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Andrast posted:

I found it really repetitive. There are barely any interesting choices to make regarding builds so runs end up feeling really samey.

????

The game plays very, very differently depending on what weapons you get/roll for and if your build is Brutality/Tactics/Survival. Some lend themselves better to certain routes but in general I rarely have two games play the same unless I’m aiming for a same style while farming. Most of the time I just roll with what I’m given and build around it. And the recent update rebalanced a lot of stuff (Survival / Shields OWN now) so there’s even more ways to play.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

????

The game plays very, very differently depending on what weapons you get/roll for and if your build is Brutality/Tactics/Survival. Some lend themselves better to certain routes but in general I rarely have two games play the same unless I’m aiming for a same style while farming. Most of the time I just roll with what I’m given and build around it. And the recent update rebalanced a lot of stuff (Survival / Shields OWN now) so there’s even more ways to play.

ymmv I guess because I found it really one note

I haven't played after the recent update though

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

FFVII's recent release is odd to me...as a kid the backgrounds were one of, if not, the most amazing thing about that game. Graphically, it and Super Mario 64 are the two most impressive games of all time to me. 10 year old me was blown away by them.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Kirios posted:

FFVII's recent release is odd to me...as a kid the backgrounds were one of, if not, the most amazing thing about that game. Graphically, it and Super Mario 64 are the two most impressive games of all time to me. 10 year old me was blown away by them.

I didn't have a 64 because I chose PSX that generation specifically for FF7. It was seriously impressive to me as a fifth grader. What really blew my socks off was the graphics jump from FF7 to 8. The overworld looked like FF7's battle scenes!

The next time I was blown away by graphics was the Normandy beach landing in Medal of Honor Allied Assault. I remember my buddy and I losing our minds because soldiers had individual fingers!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Polyakov posted:

In my view 7 has the better non main plot side content. I love 9 very dearly but i only really play the main story when i play it whereas i can get into a lot of the side stuff in 7 more easily. As a possible thought on how much content you will get if you are leaving civilisation for a month.

On another note, 7 is getting a "reboot" with more modern systems.

I didn't play 7 until the PS2 came out but had played every other Final Fantasy on the PSX (I had to borrow T/M games, and the friend lost disc1 of 7). Anyway it might have been that it failed to live up to the hype, but I found it boring. I've tried to play it a few times but never was able to get into it.

7 is a game that was very impressive for the time it came out, and the pre-rendered cinematic were crazy good they just don't hold up and without nostalgia it's hard to recommend. Pick up 9, it's a much better game, I'd actually recommend 6 over any of the PSX titles (you can get 6 on some complication disc for PSX but you are looking for a switch port so...)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Wildtortilla posted:

I didn't have a 64 because I chose PSX that generation specifically for FF7. It was seriously impressive to me as a fifth grader. What really blew my socks off was the graphics jump from FF7 to 8. The overworld looked like FF7's battle scenes!

The next time I was blown away by graphics was the Normandy beach landing in Medal of Honor Allied Assault. I remember my buddy and I losing our minds because soldiers had individual fingers!

It's funny to me how our expectations color things like that. I was thinking about it playing Devil May Cry 5 last night. It's an insanely pretty game, but I'm just so numb to it at this point that I hardly even notice.

But back when they first announced Super Smash Melee and you could see the little details in Mario's overalls? That poo poo was incredible.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pixaal posted:

On another note, 7 is getting a "reboot" with more modern systems.

This is never coming out.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

pixaal posted:

I'm not who you quoted but I did play maybe 12-15 hours on PS4 of WoFF.

So I guess the real question is, what did you think of Octopath?
Thanks for the impressions! Recently my free time for games has gotten significantly tighter so I don't have much interest in games that are just okay or don't hold my attention, and I have no interest at all in an RPG without a good story. So it definitely seems like WoFF is one to skip and (to answer your question) Octopath is the one to wait for since I haven't played it. I've heard mixed reviews about it, but it seems like the kind of game I'd enjoy and my adoration of the Bravely series has earned it enough good will regardless.

also to drop in on the other conversation, play FF7 before 9 because 9 is better and while not everyone has issues going backwards in terms of gameplay/visuals, its not something I'm personally fond of.

EDIT: and as to the third conversation, the graphics thing has a lot to do with age (how old you were when you saw it) and yeah, diminishing returns. Red Dead Redemtion 2 is supposedly insanely visually impressive but I'm no longer at an age where good graphics alone can impress, it's gotta have style over realism.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 12, 2019

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

It's funny to me how our expectations color things like that. I was thinking about it playing Devil May Cry 5 last night. It's an insanely pretty game, but I'm just so numb to it at this point that I hardly even notice.

But back when they first announced Super Smash Melee and you could see the little details in Mario's overalls? That poo poo was incredible.

IMO we've arrived at a point with graphic improvements having diminishing returns. What I'm more interested in is the style of games and the colors they use. I don't need flashy sequences and oodles of effects.

The colors used by Nintendo are one of the major draws to me. I think most AAA games have boooooring color palettes. Also, and this may sound crazy, I like to be outside more than inside, so my house has lots of windows and the curtains are almost always open. Typically my time to sit down at the TV and play a game is mid-day on my day off or mid-day on a weekend. The brilliant colors in Nintendo games stand up very well in a bright room. Playing something like Dark Souls is impossible in a bright screen because of reflections, however, the wild colors in a game like Mario Odyssey are more powerful than the bright room.

My, what a deviation I had.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is never coming out.

Not only is it never coming out, based on every single piece of material made about FFVII following its release except possibly Crisis Core the game will butcher its characters into fitting how the fandom and SE remembers them being not how they actually are.

This concept of only reading the surface, distorting the past to fit a comfier narrative, and never understanding people's true selves is in fact a major theme of the game so its almost poetic that this is the game in the FF series it happened to.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Polyakov posted:

Thanks for the quick replies. I was gonna go with 7 but the decision was made for me when it was only available for pre order in the nintendo e shop. I'm sure I'll play both eventually.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.fangamer.com/products/hollow-knight-switch-ps4-pc-collectors-edition-game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

NESFlix updated early, with Kid Icarus and Star Tropics. I never played Tropics before.

Thw two SP games are Kirby's Adventure on hard mode with sound test unlocked, and Zelda 2 with maxed stats.