Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slamhound posted:

Brendan Fraser sounds like one of the Xtacles.

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Machete patrol.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha @ Gotham being anyone’s go-to for “good show I like”

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Slamhound posted:

Boosh! Boosh! Boosh!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Doom Patroooool, more than you bargained foooooorrr...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hey come on guys stop being so mean

Slamhound posted:

pile of brown posted:

Boosh! Boosh! Boosh!

To Cliff!
Niles built that clunky Robotman chassis in the 80s/early 90s after watching a "How To Weld" videotape, long before the existence of plasma CNC fabricators and 3D printers. He must already have tech envy with every noisy step he takes, Meanwhile Cyborg over there has an arm that can turn into a sonic cannon!
Cliff ought to request a helpdesk ticket for some upgrades.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

hahaha @ Gotham being anyone’s go-to for “good show I like”

It's pretty fun?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Binary Logic posted:

Niles built that clunky Robotman chassis in the 80s/early 90s after watching a "How To Weld" videotape
I'm only two episodes in so far, but "How To Weld" was my favorite thing. (Similarly in Titans the "The Flying Graysons" sign.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Niles probably had to concentrate on the life support for the brain first, then slap together a serviceable body before the brain passed its expiration date..

It ain't easy keeping -just- a brain alive ya know..

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I still don't know what Cyborg is doing here. He has never had anything to do with the Doom Patrol.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still don't know what Cyborg is doing here. He has never had anything to do with the Doom Patrol.

Eh, he fits in terms of backstory/tragedy. Dude in a hosed up body, in the show he's a bit more adjusted to it on the surface but clearly has issues he hasn't dealt with yet. From an out of show perspective they probably wanted someone a bit more recognisable and Cyborg gets jammed in a lot of stuff.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Because he fits in the story they wrote, and it's a good way to introduce him as a leader type if (when) he moves over to the main team.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is there to have a racially diverse enough cast not to be called a 100% white cast show and he replaces beast boy, another Teen Titan. Not the worse choice, even if his condition is kinda too close to robot man, but hey cyborg was always a better character than beast boy, but your mileage may vary.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

He is there to have a racially diverse enough cast not to be called a 100% white cast show and he replaces beast boy, another Teen Titan. Not the worse choice, even if his condition is kinda too close to robot man, but hey cyborg was always a better character than beast boy, but your mileage may vary.

All the best 100% white folks are called Guerrero...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Norwegian Rudo posted:

All the best 100% white folks are called Guerrero...
Even with Diane, without Cyborg, it would still be 0% black.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Even with Diane, without Cyborg, it would still be 0% black.

Sure, but not every show needs to, or can, have every ethnicity. Where's my Asian representation in this show! (I'm 0% Asian).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's got points for a gay mummy though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Sure, but not every show needs to, or can, have every ethnicity. Where's my Asian representation in this show! (I'm 0% Asian).
Oh i do agree. I just tell you someone was "hmmmmm can we easily dodge having to deal with the lack of afro-american cast member in our show considering the super-healthy current american political discourse?". Cyborg is a good substitute. Also Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man is asian now which is fine too and better than Katana in the doom patrol.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

I hope they're going full on Rebis in season 2.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Oh hello

Rocksicles posted:

Is Larry considered gay or bi? He had both a female wife and a male lover and was trying to please both.
The Negative being kept trying to show Larry something on video. At first I thought it (they?) was trying to force Larry to come to terms with his own sexuality but maybe it's trying to show Larry something about its own orientation or nature.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hope they're going full on Rebis in season 2.

Yes please.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 12, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Logic posted:

Oh hello

Is Larry considered gay or bi? He had both a female wife and a male lover and was trying to please both.
The Negative being kept trying to show Larry something on video. At first I thought it (they?) was trying to force Larry to come to terms with his own sexuality but maybe it's trying to show Larry something about its own orientation or nature.

It was the 50's that's how you came out as gay, you got married, had some kids, and ignored your wife sexually, who knew.... she knew.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

It was the 50's that's how you came out as gay, you got married, had some kids, and ignored your wife sexually, who knew.... she knew.

Okay.

One more gif: this is precisely how I'd prepare for the De-creator and end of existence:

"If we're fighting I want to be properly rat-assed."

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I REALLY loved the latest Doom Patrol ep.

The series has been really hit-or-miss for me so far with some standout moments in between a lot of awkwardness, but the latest one perfectly nailed the tone for what I wanted to get out of a Doom Patrol series.

The chaos-magick and reality-bending weirdness mixed with characters struggling with their own identities and starting to bring out the heroic qualities within them is everything I could have hoped for.

But yeah, the cult of the unwritten book adaption has been handled excellently so far.

Now I'm hoping for the Brotherhood of Dada to make its glorious debut.

MonsterEnvy posted:

From what I remember Mr Nobody in the comics does not have any active powers. They were all just passive. Stuff like lost objects coming to him allowing him to easily nearly anything he wanted. As something that is lost belongs to "nobody". The power to drain people's sanity, and that he can't be properly looked at.

I like that in the comics when he was finally deprived of his powers it turns out he had literally been streaking the whole time.

Also - Mr. Nobody was never actually a villain. He was actually more of a chaotic-good hero who wanted to make reality a hell of a lot better, but it took a while for Doom Patrol to realize it. He's a bit like what would happen if Joker's chaotic schemes actually had some thread of positive anarchist vision to them instead of evil-for-evil's-sake.

I'm interested in how that might potentially play out in the series, but so far he's been a charismatic fourth-wall-breaking menace.

Also - for anyone hungry for more creative reality-bending weird poo poo, I strongly recommend Channel Zero's "Butcher's Block" arc. That arc to me was basically a Grant Morrison Doom Patrol story. (Although arguably all the other arcs in the show are to some extent, and all worth watching.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 12, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Spacedad posted:

I REALLY loved the latest Doom Patrol ep.
It reminded me a lot of a mid-season Supernatural episode. One of those ones where they're like "we've got no leads on the main bad guy, so how about we go save some people, hunt some things, the family business?" It's enjoyable but it doesn't really get you anywhere. And if it's a soap opera that will never end, like Supernatural, that's fine, but if it's a new show like this one then I feel like they should have some kind of actual season-long story to tell - like Supernatural did in the first five seasons.

Before Crowley showed up they did mention that they're supposed to be looking for the chief, but it doesn't seem like any of them have any actual idea how to do that. And I feel like we've had Alan Tudyk and the guy with a dinosaur head introduced as villains but the characters don't seem to realise that so they're not doing anything about them - and we're not seeing what those two are doing behind the scenes either.

This really seemed like it should have been the first episode. A two-parter to establish the characters and tone before the real antagonists show up and the proper story starts. I actually would have felt a lot more positive about the series if it had started out this way.

So yeah, good episode, but coming at this point it makes it seem like the writers don't really have a plan.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eh at this point of the TV show boom I can take or leave season-long storylines. Leaning pretty strongly towards leave, actually. I'm ready for some episodic whimsicalness and Doom Patrol delivers. It's in line with the comics, too.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, quite literally the show would have been on better footing if it started exactly like what we're seeing now in the latest episode. The other stuff feels a bit like filler by comparison. Although there is some good stuff in those that has helped build our understanding of the characters.

Also I'm really happy with Robot Man. He's exactly the Hellboy-ish sad-boy-with-big-heart he was best at being in the comics. I'm not completely happy with Jane but she is at least proving to be a great duo with Robot Man, as they were always meant to be - and the two have had some great moments together. I'm confident we'll see the best of Jane later on. (I really can't wait to meet Driver 8.)

I like Negativeman, but didn't like that he hadn't figured out how to use his powers...we FINALLY got that in this episode. I'm only sad that we're getting Negativeman instead of Rebis in this. Rebis constantly floating around everywhere and having a range of potent psychic abilities aside from just the negative spirit is something that's missing from the image of Robotman in leather jacket hanging with Jane for me.

I was actually really starting to like Elasti-Woman's strange Twin Peaks-ish presence too - and after finally seeing her act like a real hero in talking someone out of suicide, her confidence apparently has fueled her to control her powers like the superhero she always was. I really have grown to like her as a character. Grant Morrison kind of handled her poorly in the comic (Jane was basically her replacement for the team - when Elasti-Woman did finally show up it was as a weird deity creature) but the show is handling her in a really interesting manner that I think is an improvement over Morrison.

Cyborg is the weakest part of the show but he's still enjoyable. He's a DC Universe B-Lister there to kind of contrast the rest of the weird crew. His modern techie gizmos up against the rough punk-rock & sideshow freak looks of the other characters is kind of neat. Also red sweats are a good choice for a casual hero costume, gotta say. He's eventually going to leave the team of course because Justice League calls and all, but establishing him as the guy who's gonna be (in this continuity) be the link between Doom Patrol and Justice League is pretty important - JL in the comics has a grudging respect for Doom Patrol, who often handles the more bizarre reality-bending-world-ending-scenarios way outside the realm of understanding or expertise for even Superman.

Also it was confirmed that yes, Flex Mentallo has been cast. Now it's just a question of where and how the Man Of Muscle Mystery shows up.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 12, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Eh at this point of the TV show boom I can take or leave season-long storylines. Leaning pretty strongly towards leave, actually. I'm ready for some episodic whimsicalness and Doom Patrol delivers. It's in line with the comics, too.

I would also love if more shows stopped regarding the season-long plots as mandatory, but they need to actually commit to that. This show started by introducing a season-long plot. If you're going to make your entire first episode a prologue then the rest of the season has to be the rest of that story. If they wanted to do random, one-off stories then they shouldn't have had the obvious main villain frame the entire first two episodes.

Like, look at the most recent season of Doctor Who. Aside from a callback episode, it was all stand-alones, and that worked fine because they hadn't spent episode one telling us all about this big problem that the characters should be focusing all their attention on. It's fine to run off after random things that catch your attention if you have nothing better to do.

But this show didn't do that. It gave us a mysterious villain and an inciting incident and then just kind of left us hanging. It might be entirely plausible for the characters to not have any idea of how to proceed, but it's not narratively satisfying. And to have this other world-ending threat show up, completely distracting from what we've been led to believe was the season's main focus, is a really weird decision to say the least.

So if you're saying that this episode is what the show should be like, I agree. It was good. But it doesn't seem like it's what the show is going to be like, because we've got that "find the chief, stop Alan Tudyk's evil plan" thing hanging over our heads.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

If you know what the comics are like, both those threads of 'find the chief' and Mr. Nobody are basically setting us up for realizing we've been had. There's very likely going to be some major rugs pulled out from under the audience for both those threads for reasons you'd be aware of from reading the comics. The comics fans like myself see it coming and are mostly sadistically waiting for everyone else to react. (The way they play out might not be literal to the comics but thematically I am gambling it will likely be very similar.)

The real meat of the series (as with the Morrison run) is the avalanche of loving weird imaginative poo poo that the Doom Patrol cast have to deal with. Their victories have to do more with their own self-discovery & enlightenment than good-guy-versus-bad-guy poo poo.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 12, 2019

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Spacedad posted:

Grant Morrison kind of handled her poorly in the comic (Jane was basically her replacement for the team - when Elasti-Woman did finally show up it was as a weird deity creature) but the show is handling her in a really interesting manner that I think is an improvement over Morrison.

Rita wasn’t in the Morrison run at all - she was dead up until about 2004. I think maybe the deity creature that you’re talking about might be Rhea/Lodestone?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm a little mixed if I want to see Rebis. Nothing at this point hints at that plot development and as a result, there's not a reason for its inclusion, at least for a good while. Larry has his own personal issues to work on and that's already more than enough for me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I forget has Mento been cast? I remember hearing something about that, but now can't remember if I imagined it or not.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

PantsOptional posted:

Rita wasn’t in the Morrison run at all - she was dead up until about 2004. I think maybe the deity creature that you’re talking about might be Rhea/Lodestone?

Ah yeah, you're right. I'm not up on my Doom Patrol continuity outside of Morrisson's run.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I forget has Mento been cast? I remember hearing something about that, but now can't remember if I imagined it or not.
Will Kemp was cast as Mento .

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

They're trying to keep elements from both the Morrison run -AND- the classic Arnold Drake 60's run, which is fine by me. Animal-Vegetable-Man (and Mento) is definitely classic Doom Patrol.

Remains to be seen if we get General Immortus, Garguax, or the Candlemaker.

Edit: Trailer for S01 E05, Paw Patrol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU7X1qy7xVw

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 12, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Binary Badger posted:

They're trying to keep elements from both the Morrison run -AND- the classic Arnold Drake 60's run, which is fine by me. Animal-Vegetable-Man (and Mento) is definitely classic Doom Patrol.

Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man. Losing Minerals from his powers would nerf him hard.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Remains to be seen if we get General Immortus, Garguax, or the Candlemaker.

Edit: Trailer for S01 E05, Paw Patrol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU7X1qy7xVw

This to me is a winning formula because classic Doom Patrol blended with faithful adaptions / spiritual emulation of Morrison weirdness is a good combo.

We know for a fact that Flex Mentallo is coming too. If Dorothy Spinner is in the show we'll definitely get the Candlemaker.

HERO

OF THE

BEACH

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

They're probably saving Dorothy for a potential Season 2, there's a lot they can do with her that could span most of a season. With the current Antigod plotline, AVM Man, and Nobody + probably the Brotherhood it's unlikely they can fit in Candlemaker in this season too (and they probably shouldn't, or else we'll get a heavily-trimmed version)

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

I think I could have done with a little more exposition because to me the Nurses with Straight Blades and the Dry Bachelors were well done but they literally popped out of nowhere with no rhyme or reason to explain their existence other than that they are assassins that act as precursors for the Decreator.

This is a valid criticism.
On the printed page of a comic book, we read that Nurnheim is a ghost city that was destroyed a long time ago, is the centre for the Cult of the Unwritten Book and can only be entered via stigmata. And when it needs to send assassins out they are created from "dead skin and unsent letters".
When reading these words on a comic page it all fits together into the metaphysical conceit (or concept), like a story by Jorge Luis Borges or the lyrics in a song. Of course, ghosts would create assassins from discarded, forgotten elements of past lives.

But on tv the emphasis is on the action scenes, and the poetic threads of Morrison’s writing are subsumed by the vision of a flaming sword and arm cannon. The spectacle happens so fast and wild, the original lyricism is hard to notice.

Similarly many comic readers want to have The Brotherhood of Dada show up onscreen. The Doom Patrol had been fighting the Brotherhood of Evil since they 60s. And along comes Mr. Morrison around 1990 and he has Mr Nobody proclaim, “Evil? Good?! Outmoded concepts! I’m here to free people from this ridiculously rational dichotomy. We’re liberators, not villains Rid your minds of reason, embrace us as The Brotherhood of Dada! Patent pending of course.”
But without the history and backstory of the original group of bad guys, the introduction of a Brotherhood of Dada isn’t a twist and won’t have nearly as much creativity and impact. It will just be another weird thing that seems to happen for no reason.

I'm loving this series so far but can't imagine how people who have never read the comics are able to follow along.

ps thanks for posting the trailers, Badger.

pps for Tiggum: Who's Crowley?!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Logic posted:

pps for Tiggum: Who's Crowley?!

Mark Sheppard's character in Supernatural. He's the King of Hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All comic book adaptations suffer from the exposition problem. There's just no way to emulate the impact of 30-odd years of accumulated backstory from print publishing in a movie or show where characters appear for the first time, let alone put radical twists on it (incidentally this is part of why I feel Watchmen didn't work as a movie). The MCU has built for ten years and they can pull it off at this point, but they're rushing stuff like Spider-Man's whole introduction too, and they're decidedly not interested in any postmodern twists on the basic idea.