Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

That’s never happened to me and I’m not sure I get the rationale in doing so. Chase has a rule for maximum credit limited allowed across all cards so maybe something similar? Do you have more than one Amex branded credit cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

That’s never happened to me and I’m not sure I get the rationale in doing so. Chase has a rule for maximum credit limited allowed across all cards so maybe something similar? Do you have more than one Amex branded credit cards?

Nope. I only have three cards and the other two are Chase and Capital One with similar or higher limits than what my Amex was originally. I treat them like cash and pay all balances in full every month. In all the years I've had the other cards they've never pulled this kind of crap.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
When I had an Amex in the past, they reduced my CL in half but that was during the subprime mortgage crisis and I figured they were just shoring up accounts to make sure they wouldn't get out of hand.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The_Franz posted:

Amex can eat a dick. They cut my credit limit in half from $16k to $8k citing a few months of light usage even though my credit is spotless and my credit scores are 800+ across the board. No other card has done that, even after longer periods of dormancy.

When's the last time you used the Amex?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

astral posted:

When's the last time you used the Amex?

March 2, the same day the letter telling me my limit was cut was dated. Prior to that, I used it a bit in December.

I don't use it much, but I've gone months without using some of my other cards as well and they didn't cut my limits because of it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The_Franz posted:

March 2, the same day the letter telling me my limit was cut was dated. Prior to that, I used it a bit in December.

I don't use it much, but I've gone months without using some of my other cards as well and they didn't cut my limits because of it.

Yeah that's really weird. Was the transaction on March 2 by chance a large one?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

astral posted:

Yeah that's really weird. Was the transaction on March 2 by chance a large one?

About $1000. Not small, but not an enormous amount and I already paid it off.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The_Franz posted:

About $1000. Not small, but not an enormous amount and I already paid it off.

Yeah that was most likely the trigger, a sudden large spike in spending after not having much spend for a while. Would you by chance have had a high (reported, not necessarily carried) balance on any of your other cards at the same time?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

astral posted:

Yeah that was most likely the trigger, a sudden large spike in spending after not having much spend for a while. Would you by chance have had a high (reported, not necessarily carried) balance on any of your other cards at the same time?

Nope, my other cards were at 0 and during the last couple of months I've been under 1%-2% total credit utilization.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Do you pay off the full balance or just the current balance on the bills?

I personally have auto pay set up on my cards to only pay the current balance (minimum balance during promo 0% APR period) until the final week before it's due to keep my utilization up a little (and to keep my cash earning interest for as long as possible).

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Do you guys lock / freeze your credit at the 3 bureaus (Transunion, Experian, and Equifax). Is it pretty straight forward to do so and would you recommend it? I lost some important documents recently (No SS number or anything but I want to be safe).

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dear lord, do I have to wake up at 3am to actually get anyone from Chase on the phone? Have to speak to a CSR because we apparently exceeded amount of login attempts for a new card account (actual attempts to log in: 0) and it doesn't seem to matter how long we hold, nobody ever picks up. Great first impressions guys.
Huh that’s not my experience with Chase, and I only had a standard Freedom, the hold time the couple times I called was always hear zero. However, that was 2014-15, maybe customer service has gone downhill since then.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I have to do this for a chargeback on my Freedom and am dreading it, especially since I have a CSR. CSR's customer service has spoiled me.
You can do it online. I did one last spring without a phone or paper. Super easy.

The_Franz posted:

Amex can eat a dick. They cut my credit limit in half from $16k to $8k citing a few months of light usage even though my credit is spotless and my credit scores are 800+ across the board. No other card has done that, even after longer periods of dormancy.

No wonder the internet is full of Amex horror stories over the last decade. I almost want to cancel the account, credit score be damned, because I don't want to have to play games with a company that does that.
Wtf! I only put a few charges a year on my Amex Blue and they haven't changed my 32k limit yet (which they happily gave me when I was making ~60k, and had >50k of [unused] credit from Chase/Citi/Discover)... I wonder if they changed their credit limit algorithms recently and I should expect a reduction. My overall utilization is a few %, a couple grand gets charged and paid off in full monthly.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Busy Bee posted:

Do you guys lock / freeze your credit at the 3 bureaus (Transunion, Experian, and Equifax). Is it pretty straight forward to do so and would you recommend it? I lost some important documents recently (No SS number or anything but I want to be safe).

I've locked mine since the credit report leak fiasco.

It's really easy to temporarily lift the freeze if you ever need to for any reason. I opened a new account at a credit union and they needed to do a pull. I just went on my phone to whichever of the credit reporting agencies they were using and lifted the freeze for that day.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

Wtf! I only put a few charges a year on my Amex Blue and they haven't changed my 32k limit yet (which they happily gave me when I was making ~60k, and had >50k of [unused] credit from Chase/Citi/Discover)... I wonder if they changed their credit limit algorithms recently and I should expect a reduction. My overall utilization is a few %, a couple grand gets charged and paid off in full monthly.

There are a lot of stories about Amex pulling crap like this when the global economy crashed a decade ago, demanding financial statements from long time, big money customers (e.g. road warrior business travelers) and then often reducing their spend limits to a laughably low amount or cutting the limits of people if they spent money at establishments that tended to be frequented by other customers who "have a poor repayment history with American Express". They actually used that language in the letters sent to people.

They seem to think they are still a prestigious brand, but there is a reason why merchants hate them (high fees), Costco dumped them and other banks have been eating their lunch when it comes to high-end travel cards. They posted a loss last year for the first time since the early 90s, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing house cleaning/risk mitigation.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Busy Bee posted:

Since Equifax for all intents and purposes leaked everyone's personal info, I highly recommend everyone put a security freeze on their accounts since there's really no reason not to.

Here's a good guide on it. Here's a better, more up-to-date guide on it. I'd suggest following it and placing freezes on Equifax, Experian, Innovis and Trans Union, and submitting a notification to ChexSystems. While trying to find that link, I found this article, and subsequently I just added a freeze to the NCTUE.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
What do we think the chances are that buying lift tickets for a Ski Resort online counts as "online shopping" for BOA 3%?

excluded categories posted:

Insurance

Direct Marketing of Insurance Services
Insurance Sales, Underwriting and Premiums
Utilities

Cable, Satellite and Other Pay Television and Radio Services
Telecommunications Equipment including Telephone Sales
Telecommunications Services/Credit Card Activated Utilities – Electric, Gas, Sanitary, Water
Colleges, Universities, Professional

Business and Secretarial Schools
Colleges, Universities, Professional Schools and Junior Colleges
Correspondence Schools
Elementary and Secondary Schools
Schools and Educations Services (not elsewhere classified)
Trade and Vocational Schools
Membership Organizations

Associations, Civic, Social and Fraternal
Clubs, Country Clubs, Membership (Athletic, Recreation, Sports), Private Golf Courses
Political Organizations
Religious Organizations
Doctors and Hospitals

Ambulance Services
Chiropractors
Dentists and Orthodontists
Doctors and Physicians (not elsewhere classified)
Hospitals
Medical and Dental Laboratories
Medical Services Health Practitioners (not elsewhere classified)
Nursing and Personal Care Facilities
Opticians, Optical Goods and Eyeglasses
Optometrists and Ophthalmologists
Osteopathic Physicians
Podiatrists and Chiropodists
Government Services and Taxes

Court Cost Including Alimony and Child Support
Gambling – Government-Owned Lotteries
Government Administrative Entities Fines
Government Services (not elsewhere classified)
Intra-Government Purchase (Government Only)
Postage Services (Government Only)
Tax Payments
Tax Preparation Service
Non-Retail Services

Accounting, Auditing and Bookmaking Services
Advertising Services
Attorneys, Legal Services
Child Care Services
Cleaning and Maintenance, Janitorial Service
Cleaning, Garment and Laundry Services
Computer Programming, Data Processing and Integrated Systems Design Services
Systems Design Services
Consulting, Management and Public Relations Services
Consumer Credit Reporting Agencies
Courier Services (Air and Ground, Freight Forwarders)
Debt, Marriage, Personal Counseling Service
Detective Agencies, Protective Agencies, Security Services
Including Armored Car
Employment Agencies, Temporary Help Service
Exterminating and Disinfecting Services
Motorfreight Carriers, Trucking, Local/Long Distance,
Moving/Storage Company, and Local Delivery Services
Professional Services (not elsewhere classified)
Public Warehouse (Farm Products, Refrigerated Goods,
Household Goods Storage)
Recreational and Sporting Camps
Veterinary Services
Miscellaneous

POI Funding Transactions

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Elysium posted:

What do we think the chances are that buying lift tickets for a Ski Resort online counts as "online shopping" for BOA 3%?

My guess: likely to code as one of the travel categories but travel does not appear to be excluded, so maybe?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

astral posted:

My guess: likely to code as one of the travel categories but travel does not appear to be excluded, so maybe?

Well travel is its own category:

"travel posted:

Airlines, Air Carriers, Airports, Airport Terminals, Flying Fields | Amusement Parks, Carnivals, Circuses, Fortune Tellers | Aquariums, Dolphinariums, Zoos and Seaquariums | Art Dealers and Galleries | Boat Leases and Boat Rentals | Bus Lines | Campgrounds and Trailer Parks | Car Rental Agencies | Cruise Lines | Direct Marketing — Travel-Related Arrangements Services | Hotels, Motels, Resorts | Motor Home and Recreational Vehicle Rental | Package Tour Operators (for use in Germany only) | Parking Lots and Garages | Real Estate Agents and Managers (Rentals) | Recreation Services (not elsewhere classified) | Suburban and Local Commuter Passenger Travel, including Ferries | Taxicabs and Limousines | Timeshares | Truck and Trailer Utility Rentals | Passenger Railways | Toll and Bridge Fees | Tourist Attractions and Exhibits | Transportation Services (not elsewhere classified) | Travel Agencies and Tour Operators"

Resorts or Recreational Services maybe?

So maybe I should switch my 3% category to Travel? Or what are the chances this counts as travel for my Chase Reserve?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Elysium posted:

Well travel is its own category:

Resorts or Recreational Services maybe?

So maybe I should switch my 3% category to Travel? Or what are the chances this counts as travel for my Chase Reserve?

I looked into this a bit and it sounds like lift ticket coding varies depending on the resort. Popular codings seem to be hotel/travel or even 'entertainment'. If it were me I'd probably try something with a generous travel category, but it sounds like it's anything but certain.

You might have better luck googling up the exact destination name, lift tickets, and 'coding' or 'category' or 'mcc'

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Can you not make a small purchase from the same vendor and see what pops up?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I don't think they'll let me buy 1/100th of a lift ticket.

"I'm just totally gonna jump off before it gets too high, I swear."

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I figured you were buying a bunch of tickets and you could just get one and see what code pops up. Or maybe they have some $1-5 item in their shop you could buy and maybe return after you get the code.

Obviously not worth it if you're spending $100 bucks, but might be worth it if you're about to burn $1000 or more.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
I took the plunge and finally got a Chase Sapphire Reserve. Still waiting for the card. I’m booking a 2 person flight to Bermuda for June as the first travel purchase. Would be nice to pay for it with the 50k bonus, but I’d have to wait a month and don’t want to wait to book the flight.

Besides getting global entry, what else should I set up for this card? My only other card is a boring Citi DoubleCash.

gregday
May 23, 2003

howdoesishotweb posted:

I took the plunge and finally got a Chase Sapphire Reserve. Still waiting for the card. I’m booking a 2 person flight to Bermuda for June as the first travel purchase. Would be nice to pay for it with the 50k bonus, but I’d have to wait a month and don’t want to wait to book the flight.

Besides getting global entry, what else should I set up for this card? My only other card is a boring Citi DoubleCash.

You can enroll in Priority Pass if airport lounges are your thing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

gregday posted:

You can enroll in Priority Pass if airport lounges are your thing.

Also good at certain airport restaurants. Request that Priority Pass ASAP!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

howdoesishotweb posted:

If you intend to keep the CSR, then you should also get the Freedom Unlimited. Use that for every purchase that’s not restaurants and travel related, then transfer the points to your CSR, effectively making the FU a 2.25% card on everything.

I also use the regular Freedom card but lately some of the quarterly categories have been kind of stale.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
When are the March Freedom categories coming out?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Jerk McJerkface posted:

When are the March Freedom categories coming out?

The next quarter is usually announced on the 15th of the last month of the previous quarter, so should be March 15 for Q2.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Chase is getting really good at last-minuting it. I appreciate that Discover announces the whole year at a time and sometimes even adds an extra targeted category.

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005
My wife and I are taking a trip to Europe in a few months so wanted to get a no-foreign-transaction-fee card. I skimmed this thread and a bunch of stuff on Nerdwallet/Wirecutter and settled on the CSP (we travel only occasionally so the CSR annual fee doesn't make sense for us).

She applied for it yesterday (with me as authorized user if that matters) and didn't get auto approved (we will hear from them in 10 days or something) which is surprising since both of our FICOs are 780+, we pay all of our cards off every month, and the only hard pull on her report in the past 2 years was a year+ ago when we switched cable providers. Actually when we checked the annual credit report (after the application) it didn't even show a pull from Chase.

Basically what I want to know is - is this just a part of their process and we will get approved in 2 weeks if we sit tight? Or do we need to call Chase to figure it out and get it moving? I saw the flowchart a couple pages upthread but it didn't seem to exactly match our situation.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blistering Sunburn posted:

My wife and I are taking a trip to Europe in a few months so wanted to get a no-foreign-transaction-fee card. I skimmed this thread and a bunch of stuff on Nerdwallet/Wirecutter and settled on the CSP (we travel only occasionally so the CSR annual fee doesn't make sense for us).

She applied for it yesterday (with me as authorized user if that matters) and didn't get auto approved (we will hear from them in 10 days or something) which is surprising since both of our FICOs are 780+, we pay all of our cards off every month, and the only hard pull on her report in the past 2 years was a year+ ago when we switched cable providers. Actually when we checked the annual credit report (after the application) it didn't even show a pull from Chase.

Basically what I want to know is - is this just a part of their process and we will get approved in 2 weeks if we sit tight? Or do we need to call Chase to figure it out and get it moving? I saw the flowchart a couple pages upthread but it didn't seem to exactly match our situation.

First question: Bureaus all unfrozen/unlocked?

You can call chase to get the application status: 800-432-3117
If you weren't approved, you can call Chase's reconsideration line: 888-270-2127

How many credit cards does she have? What's her oldest and youngest card?

If there's nothing strange there, there's a fair chance it's just identity verification, in which case the easiest way is to go into a branch and get the documents uploaded by a banker (not a teller) there.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Check out this Chase Approval Flowchart. You might not be denied yet and you can still get it done through recon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/65vg85/chase_nonautomatic_approvalreconsideration_guide/

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005
Bureaus have never been frozen by us which I assume means they are not locked? This is the first time since we bought our house 4 years ago that we've interacted with credit report stuff at all.

She has 1 card currently that we use (typically like 30-40% of the credit line which may be why her score is only good not excellent) and pay off every month and several old closed ones from 4+ years ago that were always paid off but still show up as old cards on the report. The active card is 5ish years old.

Sounds like there's no reason not to try calling to at least get more details/next steps so we'll try that next.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blistering Sunburn posted:

Bureaus have never been frozen by us which I assume means they are not locked? This is the first time since we bought our house 4 years ago that we've interacted with credit report stuff at all.

She has 1 card currently that we use (typically like 30-40% of the credit line which may be why her score is only good not excellent) and pay off every month and several old closed ones from 4+ years ago that were always paid off but still show up as old cards on the report. The active card is 5ish years old.

Sounds like there's no reason not to try calling to at least get more details/next steps so we'll try that next.

Yeah sounds like she just has a thin file - only one card is a bit of a weakness, but should be fine with reconsideration especially mentioning that she has a long relationship with her current card's bank and the good payment history.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I got one of those Amex letters yesterday about reducing my credit limit because I didn't use it much. Oh well, whatever.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

looking at the chase sapphire preferred with an intro offer that kicks in when $4000 is spent in the first three months.

i pay my rent via paypal and i take it this means my original plan of putting my rent on the card and eating the tacked on paypal fee for doing so to make sure i'm safe won't work and i better wait until i have a major purchase planned?

Asked this a few weeks ago and was told to use plastiq to pay my rent. Was about to sign up for the card until i read this:

https://www.theglobetrottingteacher.com/how-to-use-plastiq-to-meet-credit-card-minimum-spend/

quote:

You’ll notice Mastercard and Discover cards can be used to pay all kinds of bills with Plastiq. Visa and American Express cards come with a few restrictions.

With Visa, in particular, the workaround to using it successfully for Plastiq payments is to first use an Amex, Discover, or Mastercard to pay that bill first. Then moving forward, you’ll be able to pay with a Visa without worrying about your payment coding as a Plastiq cash advance.

this is getting more complicated than i'd like, especially as i'd like to get that card soon. no one else mentioned this with this particular visa card which seems popular on here, does that mesh with others' experiences?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Looks like Chase Freedom is Groceries and Home Improvement. That's pretty good, but now I have to figure out if I'm going to hit $6000 on my Amex BCP, since Q1 was 10% groceries for Discover (5% plus double) and now Chase as well, so for half the year the Amex isn't worth it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Looks like Chase Freedom is Groceries and Home Improvement. That's pretty good, but now I have to figure out if I'm going to hit $6000 on my Amex BCP, since Q1 was 10% groceries for Discover (5% plus double) and now Chase as well, so for half the year the Amex isn't worth it.

Yeah I had been staying away from Discover It since Chase Freedom usually overlapped categories with them, but if they stop stepping on each other's toes I can justify having both cards

This year...so far so good!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

astral posted:

I looked into this a bit and it sounds like lift ticket coding varies depending on the resort. Popular codings seem to be hotel/travel or even 'entertainment'. If it were me I'd probably try something with a generous travel category, but it sounds like it's anything but certain.

So I just decided to put it on my Reserve and hope it coded as Travel.

It ended up coding as "Personal." That makes it the second "Personal" coding of any charge I've ever put on the card, the other one being my Vet's office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah I had been staying away from Discover It since Chase Freedom usually overlapped categories with them, but if they stop stepping on each other's toes I can justify having both cards

This year...so far so good!

The thing is I can typically spend the $1500 on groceries in two months. I know some goons in this thread somehow spend like $160 on groceries a month for a family of 19, but I just can't do that.

I do however also buy gift cards at grocery stores for other purchases to get the 5% cash back on everything (like Lowes for projects, Old Navy for clothes, or Ebay and stuff), that does inflate my grocery budget, but it's all planned and budgeted purchases.