Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what did it say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

"Elizabeth Warren would bring a whole new meaning to Commander in “Chief”."

he was trying to own the libs, forgetting they are his entire twitter audience lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh noooo lmao

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

he was trying to own the libs, forgetting they are his entire twitter audience lmao

But my :decorum:???

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol, it's not even as clever as the burns trump stole from one of his staff.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

god drat this is just amazing

tear that veil rob

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Did we not talk about how Rob Lowe is a total poo poo, famous for being "conservative" even back when you could get away with it in Hollywood as long as you were quiet about it?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I remember watching this show as a kid that didn't know any better and was like "wow these are well-meaning people that want to do good, I guess this show is all right" until I reached one of the Israel episodes and it made me puke

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Did we not talk about how Rob Lowe is a total poo poo, famous for being "conservative" even back when you could get away with it in Hollywood as long as you were quiet about it?

the citations needed episode brought it up, how he is far to the right of his co-stars real life politics. so all the WW fans on twitter assume he is a good liberal like whitford or sheen and they react predictably whenever he does tweets like that.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/owenrumney/status/1097572552279347200?s=21

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lol yeah i saw this

sad. low-energy. TAKE MINE, BERNIE, STAND TALL

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The Newsroom, HBO’s acclaimed political drama, is rumored to be making a huge comeback, and the times couldn’t be more perfect for it.

When The Newsroom appeared on HBO in 2012, the times seemed to align with a political drama that focused on what goes on in this controlled-chaos climate.

Now comes word that the critically-acclaimed series is making a comeback, and the times could not be more ripe for this series to make its grand reappearance. According to Digital Spy, Olivia Munn, who portrayed economist Sloan Sabbith, said at the Television Critics’ Association press tour that she and Tom Sadoski were in conversations with showrunner Aaron Sorkin about a reboot.

“He’s very busy, but we have very high hopes that it would be able to come together, hopefully,” Munn told ETOnline.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

On the official podcast, one of the cast members admitted that once they were all having dinner together and Sorkin said "I'm just gonna take a picture of us and say we're talking about a possible reboot of The West Wing" and they all played along even though there was literally nothing in the works.

Hollywood is loving weird.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

just a quick reminder that rob lowe committed statutory rape. well, bye!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Hello welcome to season two! and thank you for coming along with us! We're mostly rambling about Television in this episode because the political side of the rootin-tootin' poorly-shootin' attack on the administration is not well fleshed out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Multi-track drifting?!?

E: VVV Now I want an anime version of that scene. Anime Ron Butterman makes shocked face and we get speed lines as he yells "BLUE BLUE BLUE"

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 02:20 on Feb 23, 2019

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it just popped into my head when you were talking about six-lane u turns lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lol at Democrats not knowing what they’re for or against.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think you guys previously kind of tackled the idea, when discussing the liberal fascination with the force of personality; but I've been finding it kind of funny how the show romanticizes how some politicians who are Destined To Become Great Leaders possess "It". The flashbacks depict Governor Bartlet as having "It" while Senator Hoynes does not. Hoynes was simply a guy Lyman worked for, not a guy he believed in. Later on, the show has Lyman using his metaphysical It-detecting abilities again and asks Matt Santos to run as an alternative to all the empty suits.

Like, I guess it's fine in liberal comfort food fiction. Competent staffers can immediately gauge the personality of someone and decide if he or she isn't a total Jeb. The attempts to draft Obama for president were heavily reliant on this trope, how he was uniquely able to inspire a new generation, blah blah blah. I kind of get it. I liked Obama back in 2008.

But it's just more jarring and hilarious now seeing lanyards project onto Kamala or Beto. And then seeing these lanyards explain to the unwashed masses why these guys are the leaders we didn't know we want.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
that's another part of the time capsule effect too IMO, the information just was not available, or rather I think the better word would be "accessible" (lol) as it is today. the gatekeeping of "Oh josh has to take a bunch of time off and literally fly to a place to observe a man carry himself and talk about issues in person" is hilariously opaque to people who aren't wealthy / political operators.

i think the lanyard thing is wholly a product of people angling, via the newly available platform of popularity contests writ large across tweets, for getting noticed by senpai and given a cushy job.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I think you guys previously kind of tackled the idea, when discussing the liberal fascination with the force of personality; but I've been finding it kind of funny how the show romanticizes how some politicians who are Destined To Become Great Leaders possess "It". The flashbacks depict Governor Bartlet as having "It" while Senator Hoynes does not. Hoynes was simply a guy Lyman worked for, not a guy he believed in. Later on, the show has Lyman using his metaphysical It-detecting abilities again and asks Matt Santos to run as an alternative to all the empty suits.

Also telling that basically any time a campaign is going badly for Our Heroes, the solution is always a rousing speech or "winning" a debate or something and never a big new policy push.

I think this is something that the lanyards who got their political inspiration from this drat show believe, that you can just charisma hard enough to win over anyone without actually offering them anything.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm going to give this a whirl, it sure as hell beats watching The West Wing

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

WampaLord posted:

Also telling that basically any time a campaign is going badly for Our Heroes, the solution is always a rousing speech or "winning" a debate or something and never a big new policy push.

I think this is something that the lanyards who got their political inspiration from this drat show believe, that you can just charisma hard enough to win over anyone without actually offering them anything.
I think "It" is something a little more insidious than even the obsession with intelligence and charisma. West Wing lanyards would probably not disagree that someone like pre-scandal John Edwards was intelligent and charismatic, but he largely was not an "it" politician. It's a very specific kind of vague, hard-to-define, cultural signal and performance that requires a blank slate.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Great episode as always. I'm glad you guys started the second season without a break, thank you for this content. I'm especially looking forward to finding out in a few months that my personal favorite episode, Noël, was actually always bad.

Highlight of this episode was you describing someone's face as they "try to Numbers Fuckstein their way out of this".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Great episode as always. I'm glad you guys started the second season without a break, thank you for this content. I'm especially looking forward to finding out in a few months that my personal favorite episode, Noël, was actually always bad.

Highlight of this episode was you describing someone's face as they "try to Numbers Fuckstein their way out of this".

Hey, thanks! :)

My memory of Noel is that Josh's subplot is a fairly good examination of PTSD for network TV, but I'm sure there's some very dumbass politics in there as well. Also I really like the actor they get to play the therapist and he makes a cool return in that one episode where Bartlett has trouble sleeping.

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Feb 24, 2019

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think im going to stop watching the episodes along with the podcast. i hate this loving show and you guys do a great job hitting every issue and plot point anyways. aaron sorkin can eat my rear end in a top hat

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hell yeah im rewatching this all on digital rips that my wife pirated from the library so aaron sorkin doesn't get his $0.0002 per play on Netflix

suck it hollywood libs

thanks for the nice feedback y'all

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i think im going to stop watching the episodes along with the podcast. i hate this loving show and you guys do a great job hitting every issue and plot point anyways. aaron sorkin can eat my rear end in a top hat

Let us suffer the torture so you don't have to!

:smithicide:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh boy, TIES

I love not winning, BUT NOT LOSING!

Lots of that in this episode for y'all as the title of this particular slice of the west wing canon could literally have been "The Democrats!"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Great episode but one small bug report. You seem to be describing the radio reception scene as bad when according to my notes its actually [heart eyes]This EPIC canceling of a DRUMPF radio star with THEIR OWN LOGIC will make you feel YAAAAS #resistance[heart eyes]. Please resolve promptly.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Tangentially Sorkin-related
https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/1101504111680372736

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

can verify that rich white winemom libs are creamin jeans over this show so naturally it will destroy and consume any other iteration of it

why loving bring that poo poo to the stage at all I mean ok I guess but... do a new thing, maybe?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

do a new thing, maybe?

Sir, this is America, not some sort of leftist utopia where people come up with new ideas. I mean, we're talking about a guy who's most genius idea was to re-litigate news stories from a few years ago.

I'm sitting at my desk looking over the movies coming out from now through the end of summer and more than 2/3rds of them are sequels and/or remakes. Probably there are more that I'm just not recognizing. It's very depressing when people complain to me about there being so few original films as if I should call up Hollywood and tell them to knock it off.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
is it that time already? yes indeedy! It's time to consider...

AFRICA

NAAAAANS NGONYAMAAAAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsINANZ6Riw

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

big mood right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNisipxnp58

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My guess is that oil was found in that African cuntry and some corporation bankrolled the rebels.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

My guess is that oil was found in that African cuntry and some corporation bankrolled the rebels.

Oh for sure. I 'love' the way Bartlet lectures them all about the situation as if he's dealt with this sort of thing a hundred times and it's just the sort of thing that happens in those sort of countries; of course with no relation to his lovely policies and the lovely policies of all the presidents before him.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
well yeah what else are you gonna do if you're Germany late-game in rocky terrain those stacks of doom don't maneuver themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sure, but even just narratively it would have been nice for this to get a little setup before the payoff. An aide coming in with a note and whispering in his ear, then he looks nervous and says to the pharma dudes "sorry, I just heard word that rebel activities are increasing, please continue with your discussion of how we can't save my people because you're not making enough money"

For those of you who don't watch the episode before listening (and gently caress, I can't blame you at all, that's why we do our best to summarize everything important) I can't stress enough how OUT OF NOWHERE the final twist comes of "oops, your country is in chaos, because, ya know, AFRICA" like it's not only white_boomer_view_of_africa.mp4 it's just awful writing for a television episode, it's basically a deus ex machina.

Acinonyx posted:

Oh for sure. I 'love' the way Bartlet lectures them all about the situation as if he's dealt with this sort of thing a hundred times and it's just the sort of thing that happens in those sort of countries; of course with no relation to his lovely policies and the lovely policies of all the presidents before him.

Bartlet as paternalistic all knowing God-Dad-President is going to be a big theme of this season, culminating with Two Cathedrals where he swears at God in unsubtitled Latin