Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I also caught the last act of Serkis's Jungle Book adaptation, and that poo poo blows. Shere Khan looks like Kenny the white tiger with down syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Toxic will be the song where Snow White gets the poison apple from the old lady/evil stepmother and instead of eating it she shoves it down the old lady's throat and then dances with a snake

honestly the only requirement I have for this musical is that someone, at some point, dances with a snake.

Are you an MTV executive?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are you an MTV executive?

i was, but i work for VH1 now

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

Oh, I also caught the last act of Serkis's Jungle Book adaptation, and that poo poo blows. Shere Khan looks like Kenny the white tiger with down syndrome.

It truly is a special kind of awful. I had to turn it off after like 45 minutes, I couldn't even tolerate it as background noise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw Prince of Persia and don't remember a single thing.

Surely you remember that it stars Jake Gyllenhall.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

i was, but i work for VH1 now

Weirdly you traded up

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fart City posted:

The Shining.
Misery.
Stand By Me.
Christine.
Shawshank Redemption.

I dunno, I think Dolores Claiborne is better than Misery and she's better in it too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Surely you remember that it stars Jake Gyllenhall.

Ok that was the one thing. The rest of the things got dredged up because the movie was last week's WHM.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Skwirl posted:

Casting an Arab rather than Jake Gyllenhaal possibly would have been a step in the right direction, but Arab and Persian are different things.

That is true, and I should not have phrased it like that. Basically, this movie has a lot folks who would fall under the definition of “definitely not from the Middle-East” and probably got a spray-tan during production.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 12, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1105525373780090880
Ok, the timing on this one is good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Peccadillo posted:

How you mean?

Obviously it's a bit of a hyperbolic take, but what I mean is that I genuinely don't think Marvel movies are nearly as similar as people pretend. They have different directors, effects studios, CGI people, production crews, stunt coordinators, composers, writers, etc etc between each of them. The major similarities come in editing style and broad plot structure, and even those tend to deviate somewhat depending on who's handling the project. That someone could watch, say, GOTG and Winter Soldier and come away thinking "Dang Marvel movies, they're all the same" doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Obviously it's a bit of a hyperbolic take, but what I mean is that I genuinely don't think Marvel movies are nearly as similar as people pretend. They have different directors, effects studios, CGI people, production crews, stunt coordinators, composers, writers, etc etc between each of them. The major similarities come in editing style and broad plot structure, and even those tend to deviate somewhat depending on who's handling the project. That someone could watch, say, GOTG and Winter Soldier and come away thinking "Dang Marvel movies, they're all the same" doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

They're also pretty similar in tone and themes and in some of the shortcuts they use to crank these out, like using second units to film action which leads to the sub-par fight choreography you mentioned.

Obviously there's a bit of hyperbole the other way, but "it's not as similar as people complain" is kind of a low bar to clear. I haven't seen CM yet (going on Monday for my wife's b-day) and I'm sure I'll be entertained and enjoy it enough but I have no illusions that I'm going to come out of it genuinely surprised by anything or stoked by some visual/action sequence. And that's not just because of the genre itself, because Into the Spider-verse and Alita and even Aquaman to an extent all did that for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

What makes them similar is that that they have different directors, effects studios, CGI people, production crews, stunt coordinators, composers, writers, etc, yet every single one is the next episode of the same Saturday morning cartoon. They even say they do this on purpose and haven't really been shy about that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What makes them similar is that that they have different directors, effects studios, CGI people, production crews, stunt coordinators, composers, writers, etc, yet every single one is the next episode of the same Saturday morning cartoon. They even say they do this on purpose and haven't really been shy about that.

To put it in comics terms, it’s house style. The same way that for a while every superhero comic looked like a Jim Lee comic despite having different pencillers, different inkers, etc

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Black Panther kind of broke any remaining illusions I had about the MCU house style. Fruitvale Station and Creed definitely feel like two films made by the same director, but BP has so little in common with them in terms of character work or action (speaking of Creed specifically here, obviously) that it feels like Coogler is barely visible in it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

To put it in comics terms, it’s house style. The same way that for a while every superhero comic looked like a Jim Lee comic despite having different pencillers, different inkers, etc

Fart City posted:

Black Panther kind of broke any remaining illusions I had about the MCU house style. Fruitvale Station and Creed definitely feel like two films made by the same director, but BP has so little in common with them in terms of character work or action (speaking of Creed specifically here, obviously) that it feels like Coogler is barely visible in it.

Yeah, exactly.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

That someone could watch, say, GOTG and Winter Soldier and come away thinking "Dang Marvel movies, they're all the same" doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It's funny you say that, because don't both of those movies end with a giant airship crashing down onto a metropolitan area? I enjoy the Marvel movies for the most part, but the nature of superheroes and the Marvel Studios factory means there's going to be some bleeding together between many of the individual movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of them's a spaceship.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Both movies are morally bankrupt.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I mean, surely you've noticed that all music biopics look exactly like Walk Hard now, no?

The point of a parody is that it kills the genre that it parodies; you can't make a film like that anymore because it's been so effectively parodied. But still we have music biopics as if Walk Hard was never made.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

One of them's a spaceship.

Well yeah but okay.

But one of my favorite things about the MCU is how many times they introduce a new faceless horde of cannon fodder for the heroes to beat up that are usually never seen again. You've had Hydra, the Chitauri, AIM, the Frost Giants, the Dark Elves, Sam Rockwell's drones, the Kree, the Ultrons...I think the ones in GotG were called the Necroswarm? Anyway, they're all completely interchangeable because all they ever do is fire laser guns and get stomped by the good guys.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fart City posted:

they're forced to stay within the lines and not say or portray anything too provoking or controversial, because they don't want to offend anyone unless it's a calculated risk that will bring in more money. That means their products are bland and inoffensive family fun, which is alright if you're mildly bored or got kids or whatever, but it doesn't make for good cinema. It's great if you don't care about lazy cinematography and love superheroes and lame quips, I suppose

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The faceless hordes are really bad and I will not defend them. Interestingly enough all the battles with faceless hordes start being CGI'd before the movies even go into production, according to director reports, and that explains why those parts are always lovely.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

One thing that does annoy me though is how Disney has mastered the "wokeness as pr" thing. The media are fellating Disney for finally making a movie starring a female superhero and are now bending over backwards excusing the lovely quality of said movie with titles like "
Why 'Captain Marvel' Should Have the Right to Be Just O.K."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

therattle posted:

The point of a parody is that it kills the genre that it parodies; you can't make a film like that anymore because it's been so effectively parodied. But still we have music biopics as if Walk Hard was never made.

The news caught up to and bypassed the parody of the news, both in presentation and content, so this doesn't present that much of an issue.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I would like all these comic book movies if they were even half as bonkers as actual comics were - if your superhero movie doesn't have stuff like this in it, I'm not going to pay attention:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

McCloud posted:

they're forced to stay within the lines and not say or portray anything too provoking or controversial, because they don't want to offend anyone unless it's a calculated risk that will bring in more money. That means their products are bland and inoffensive family fun, which is alright if you're mildly bored or got kids or whatever, but it doesn't make for good cinema. It's great if you don't care about lazy cinematography and love superheroes and lame quips, I suppose

Which is especially egregious when you look at BP in comparison to Creed in that light. Creed is, what, the seventh installment in a blockbuster franchise, while also serving as a soft reboot? And it still manages to have intimate character work and tension and drama. Like Creed is definitely a return to the tone of the earlier Rocky movies, but it’s still a film that exists in a universe where Uncle Paulie had a robot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I would like all these comic book movies if they were even half as bonkers as actual comics were - if your superhero movie doesn't have stuff like this in it, I'm not going to pay attention:

You should check out the new Doom Patrol show

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

How did anyone ever get the impression this was a medium for children?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
When they actually end up embracing silliness, people will absolutely hate it, hence the reaction to the Martha scene in BvS.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

When they actually end up embracing silliness, people will absolutely hate it, hence the reaction to the Martha scene in BvS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvIhNXrtD8k

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Imagine defending the Martha scene with a straight face haha

oh wait this isn’t the right thread sorry

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tcPBx3O_H4

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fart City posted:

Which is especially egregious when you look at BP in comparison to Creed in that light. Creed is, what, the seventh installment in a blockbuster franchise, while also serving as a soft reboot? And it still manages to have intimate character work and tension and drama. Like Creed is definitely a return to the tone of the earlier Rocky movies, but it’s still a film that exists in a universe where Uncle Paulie had a robot.

Right. Disney sucks all the creative juices out of its cast, leaving only a gray nutritionless gruel. It's probably why the new Star wars movies are so utterly uninspiring as well.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I mean, this is what Venom did really well. Thor: Ragnarok also did a good job at making the film overall a campy comedy. And I haven't seen Into the Spider-Verse yet but from what I've heard it similarly embraces the vibrant goofiness of comics. I think the "Martha" stuff was just dumb, it was the wrong kind of silliness.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I need to see it again to make sure I'm still high on it, but Into the Spiderverse might be my favorite super hero movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Lowtax discussing SomethingAwful Money Problems

I'm gonna look into doing a CineD fundraiser, and maybe something else fun and exciting. If anyone has ideas or would like to help, please DM me or hit me up on Discord.

You can donate the usual way, or pay for Lowtax's patreon, or buy AVs and upgrades.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I don't think it was supposed to be silly, and imo it works fine for what it tries to do, which is show Batman having a classic parent induced PTSD. It's just that some people are dumb and thought it was all about the parents having the same name and then it became a meme and that was that. It is a bit clumsy though. and it's a scene that could use some work, but nowhere near as bad as the meme makes it out to be.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TrixRabbi posted:

Thor: Ragnarok also did a good job at making the film overall a campy comedy. And I haven't seen Into the Spider-Verse yet but from what I've heard it similarly embraces the vibrant goofiness of comics.

Thor: Ragnarok has jokes but it absolutely is not silly in the way that older comics could be silly.

Spider-Verse had it in parts but it kinda leaned back from it. Like, Spider-ham was a character, and he did jokes, and there were scientists with ray guns and the like, but actual vibrant goofiness is more like that one street lamp/street corner that became increasingly discombobulated as a side effect of the villains machine. And that was only a sight gag for a few scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Lowtax discussing SomethingAwful Money Problems

I'm gonna look into doing a CineD fundraiser, and maybe something else fun and exciting. If anyone has ideas or would like to help, please DM me or hit me up on Discord.

You can donate the usual way, or pay for Lowtax's patreon, or buy AVs and upgrades.

Maybe hbomberguy can do a charity stream for him.