Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Your resume won’t be as good for react-only roles as someone who’s been doing react for the past few years. You’ll look better for roles that need cross-functional skills.

Really though it doesn’t matter. Apply for the jobs you want. If you’re currently unemployed and don’t have the funds to support that, also apply for jobs you don’t want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Remote job update! The c-levels approved the budget for me, and I'll start at the end of this month! Insurance coverage is good, not great, and pay will either be 117k or 120k up from my current 104k. I also get a small pile of stock options vested over 4 years.

But best off, I get to work Remote full time! Hell yes :D
Woot!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Careful Drums posted:

Woot!

Hell yes indeed. Remote full time is amazing. I'm looking forward to another summer spending the best part of the day outdoors and then coding around that.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vonnegutt posted:

Hell yes indeed. Remote full time is amazing. I'm looking forward to another summer spending the best part of the day outdoors and then coding around that.

Definitely looking forward to 1. Being able to take my kids to school and 2. Not sitting in traffic on hot-rear end summer evenings

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Remote + bonus + stock with somewhat reasonable rates is pretty decent of a combo if you're not making the 450k+ total comp range that would make sense for being local to most tech towns as an average old person. Wage / living situation arbitrage is what I've been trying to do for years but it's really hard to find non-crap companies in general and most almost no SRE type jobs exist as remote. If you start off with a good company in your career things work out better in this respect compared to trying to start in, say, Missouri and get picked up by a company to write CRUD software for $200k+ / yr.

Which is why I'm letting people know that my (new) company is hiring for:
  • backend engineers (on a Golang, Postgres, Kafka, Python, and gobs of other stuff stack)
  • machine learning engineers. Fingerprinting arbitrary binaries is the bread and butter so focused mostly on classification and clustering while I might be able to push for time series analysis from the SRE side
  • kernel hackers focused on security (ALL major OSes - we do endpoint protection and binary detection with some... creative techniques)
  • ...and senior SREs like me

We support remote as first-class citizens (25% of engineers are remote) and have stock, bonus, and above-market pay. Annual hackathons happen and other start-up type stuff sans horrible work hours. Of interest to machine learning researchers in particular, we support open source by opening most of our research and have an annual training / conference budget for all engineers baseline. Company is a security SaaS and mixed on-premise product company (not a consultancy) under 60 engineers and is growing fast enough they're asking people even during interviews if I know anyone else they'd recommend.

And because I can sound like a complete maniac on the forums - if they hired me I can't be all that bad to work with considering how important collaboration and ego-less engineering is to the company. It's been a long time since I was really excited to join a company and I don't really shill for anyone, so this is a rare recommendation from me.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

Sounds like they are an up-and-coming org with an exit strategy of being acquired by someone like FireEye...

... not that I happen to know about that particular market or anything. :ssh:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I don't know if that's an objective but I do know there's some ex-FireEye folks on the R&D side and that in most tests our tech has a better detection rate which is part of why the three letter agencies are using them (probably also because most of the big vendors are charging even more ludicrous amounts, but that's another matter). The market is pretty incestuous though in security so shared employee history is no surprise if you ask me. FireEye isn't a terrible company at least, so I'm not exactly opposed.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Dark Wind posted:

Question for you oldies: How important is your current experience vs previous experience for a job? Not exactly sure how to phrase this, but here's an example I'm thinking of:

Say that a few years ago you worked at a place that was really focused on React and other front end work. After that you started working at a place mainly doing back end work, maybe in Java or Python or something like that. Now, you're looking at positions again because you want to go back to working in react. Would employers count the the few years outside of the react world against you, or would the simple fact that you can list jobs/projects in the past that used that technology be enough to have employers be interested in you?

I'd say that I get asked about my past jobs in interviews about 95% of the time. It may be that only people that are willing to count less recent work experience are interested in hiring me though; its not like there's a good way for me to tell.

A lot of the initial screens only ask about x years of experience. I've seen many more job postings asking for 5 years of experience in a language than I've seen asking for recent experience.

If you're going to be whiteboarding in React it is a good idea to do some prep in that language to give yourself a chance to remember it in a lower stress situation than an interview.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

• backend engineers (on a Golang, Postgres, Kafka, Python, and gobs of other stuff

I could be keen to hear more....

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Careful Drums posted:

Remote job update! The c-levels approved the budget for me, and I'll start at the end of this month! Insurance coverage is good, not great, and pay will either be 117k or 120k up from my current 104k. I also get a small pile of stock options vested over 4 years.

Woot!
Congrats! Glad this story had a happy ending!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Are there any goons who have or know of positive workplaces that use an open office layout? Everything I've read about open offices suggest they're terrible and I'm tempted to consider it an automatic hard pass when interviewing at new companies. Maybe I'm not giving them a fair shake though. I've worked in a cubicle farm once and it wasn't too bad, although my coworkers having political debates 3-4 times a week was pretty distracting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They're terrible, but considering them an automatic hard pass will severely limit your options, at least in my area. Everyone's moving to them, even though all the research says not to. I guess real estate is just that expensive. :shrug:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

LLSix posted:

Are there any goons who have or know of positive workplaces that use an open office layout? Everything I've read about open offices suggest they're terrible and I'm tempted to consider it an automatic hard pass when interviewing at new companies. Maybe I'm not giving them a fair shake though. I've worked in a cubicle farm once and it wasn't too bad, although my coworkers having political debates 3-4 times a week was pretty distracting.

My place has an open office layout and it's pretty good. However the entire office is engineering focused and it's reasonably quiet during working hours.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

necrobobsledder posted:

Remote + bonus + stock with somewhat reasonable rates is pretty decent of a combo if you're not making the 450k+ total comp range that would make sense for being local to most tech towns as an average old person. Wage / living situation arbitrage is what I've been trying to do for years but it's really hard to find non-crap companies in general and most almost no SRE type jobs exist as remote. If you start off with a good company in your career things work out better in this respect compared to trying to start in, say, Missouri and get picked up by a company to write CRUD software for $200k+ / yr.

• backend engineers (on a Golang, Postgres, Kafka, Python, and gobs of other stuff stack)
  • machine learning engineers. Fingerprinting arbitrary binaries is the bread and butter so focused mostly on classification and clustering while I might be able to push for time series analysis from the SRE side
  • kernel hackers focused on security (ALL major OSes - we do endpoint protection and binary detection with some... creative techniques)
  • ...and senior SREs like me

We support remote as first-class citizens (25% of engineers are remote) and have stock, bonus, and above-market pay. Annual hackathons happen and other start-up type stuff sans horrible work hours. Of interest to machine learning researchers in particular, we support open source by opening most of our research and have an annual training / conference budget for all engineers baseline. Company is a security SaaS and mixed on-premise product company (not a consultancy) under 60 engineers and is growing fast enough they're asking people even during interviews if I know anyone else they'd recommend.

And because I can sound like a complete maniac on the forums - if they hired me I can't be all that bad to work with considering how important collaboration and ego-less engineering is to the company. It's been a long time since I was really excited to join a company and I don't really shill for anyone, so this is a rare recommendation from me.

CrowdStrike or Threat Stack?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

LLSix posted:

Most engineering-focused open offices are so quiet that they actually go the other way and limit collaboration, because everyone's too afraid of making noise and distracting an in-the-zone coworker. Some of the best offices are open with lots of available quiet spaces.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

LLSix posted:

I've worked in it in two different jobs and it was pretty good both times. The first did tend to be more quiet and there were enough huddle rooms around where if you were going to take a call or have more than two people in a conversation you could grab a room and it was relatively quiet. Where I'm at now it's got way less opportunity for that so it means you need to be prepared to throw on a headset/headphones if you need less distraction and can't get a room booked. I like being able to see people come and go and easily look to see if someone's available, personally, but I'm able to go heads down and focus if I need to in spite of the potential distraction. I can see it potentially bothering some folks but we haven't had any real complaints.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

LLSix posted:

You'll never* find somewhere to work if you have a hard pass on open offices.

They suck and it's all about maximizing space (at the cost of productivity). Make sure you ask about quiet areas for people to focus, office etiquette (don't bother someone with headphones on), communication practices (async communication via slack/email) etc. Those are very important in open offices in order to keep them somewhat sane.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Blinkz0rz posted:

CrowdStrike or Threat Stack?

Neither

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Vulture Culture posted:

Some of the best offices are open with lots of available quiet spaces.
This. Open's fine most of the time, but you need the option to bail into a huddle room for a conversation or to enable focus.

My old company would subsidize noise cancelling headphones too.

Another place I worked had a problem with people talking too much, too loudly. Eventually they installed a stupid traffic light noise meter which buzzes when people have been talking too loud for too long. It was intended as a neutral way of pointing blame, but since it was originally created to control unruly 9-year-olds and interrupted everyone's fun conversation, everyone felt a lot of animosity towards it and the boss who installed it. When I left it was still there, but people just kept dialing down the sensitivity to make it useless.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

minato posted:

Another place I worked had a problem with people talking too much, too loudly. Eventually they installed a stupid traffic light noise meter which buzzes when people have been talking too loud for too long. It was intended as a neutral way of pointing blame, but since it was originally created to control unruly 9-year-olds and interrupted everyone's fun conversation, everyone felt a lot of animosity towards it and the boss who installed it. When I left it was still there, but people just kept dialing down the sensitivity to make it useless.

lol this is amazingly petty

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
installing the noise meter, that is, not the dialing it down part. i'd have taken it off the wall and chucked it into the trash tho.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
seconding that open offices can be alright if it's not too loud in general, people respect those with headphones on, and there are places to "break out". I'm in an open office plan right now and it's not my favorite thing ever but it's not bad.

One place I worked had a different response to noise levels in an open plan - they installed white noise machines everywhere in the building. I never noticed them until one time they went down and I realized that they were making me go mad.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Careful Drums posted:

seconding that open offices can be alright if it's not too loud in general,

*flies quadcopter into ur monitor*

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'm looking for a sanity check. I work for a company that does consulting with a high level of expertise. Our engineering staff (all "senior" people with lots of industry experience) has grown about 3 fold in the last couple of years, but the number of engineering managers has shrunk. For a while each engineering manager had 7 or 8 engineers reporting to them, and the person those engineering manager reported to had about 20 engineers directly reporting to him.

The problem is that most of our contracts are time and materials, so each engineer is worth 40 billable hours per week to the company, minus a small percentage to account for vacation and whatnot. Each engineering manager is also expected to do 40 hours of billable work per week (or more if they're on a fixed contract). I think this is a bad idea because an engineering manager's most important job is their reports, and it shouldn't be lumped on top of a full engineer's workload. Our engineering managers manage engineers that are on lots of different contracts, so they don't have to perform any project management or other technical leadership (other than advice), just in-house HR-type stuff. But having a manager handle the boring non-technical stuff is crucial and I think it's fair to dedicate an hour per week per direct report.

I argued that an engineering manager should be expected to do 40 - n hours of billable work per week, where n is the number of direct reports they have. A less desirable choice would be for them to do 40 hours of billable work on top of their management time, but be compensated for the additional work. The company has chosen option C, which is that an engineering manager does 40 hours of billable work, manages some engineers, and doesn't get additional pay, just the "satisfaction that come with being a manager."

To compromise, they've rolled out a new plan for each engineering manager to be capped at 3 direct reports. This means a lot more engineering managers, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but it's still the wrong path in my mind. The engineering manager is still given an additional workload on top of their 40 hours of billable work, with no enforcement of priorities (though certainly a good manager is going to prioritize their reports over client work). I have managed, and I'm good at it, but I'm not interested in this role because I can do less work and get paid the same by staying an engineer. I'm curious to see if enough engineers are interested in taking the engineering manager positions simply for the allure of being a manager. Even if there are, I feel this attracts a certain type of manager (the one who likes to feel important and talk about how good of a manager they are).

I think it's a bad plan that maximizes billing revenue now with no thought given to retention. I think minimizing turnover is more important over the long-run, and that means engineers having good managers that dedicate time for them. Am I off base? I can certainly see the appeal of maximizing billable hours, but I think it's short-sighted.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rt4 posted:

*flies quadcopter into ur monitor*

this actually happened once lmao

someone got a toy drone and flew it around the office until it crashed and was asked to not do that anymore

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Erwin posted:

I'm curious to see if enough engineers are interested in taking the engineering manager positions simply for the allure of being a manager. Even if there are, I feel this attracts a certain type of manager (the one who likes to feel important and talk about how good of a manager they are).

I think it's a bad plan that maximizes billing revenue now with no thought given to retention. I think minimizing turnover is more important over the long-run, and that means engineers having good managers that dedicate time for them. Am I off base? I can certainly see the appeal of maximizing billable hours, but I think it's short-sighted.

I don't have much experience working on a serious billable-hours system. But I'm posting because I'm bored today. I think that you're going to get some nerds to bite and the company is going to get what it wants :capitalism:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Careful Drums posted:

asked to not do that anymore

That's an important part of making an open plan office work well

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Erwin posted:

I'm looking for a sanity check. I work for a company that does consulting with a high level of expertise. Our engineering staff (all "senior" people with lots of industry experience) has grown about 3 fold in the last couple of years, but the number of engineering managers has shrunk. For a while each engineering manager had 7 or 8 engineers reporting to them, and the person those engineering manager reported to had about 20 engineers directly reporting to him.

The problem is that most of our contracts are time and materials, so each engineer is worth 40 billable hours per week to the company, minus a small percentage to account for vacation and whatnot. Each engineering manager is also expected to do 40 hours of billable work per week (or more if they're on a fixed contract). I think this is a bad idea because an engineering manager's most important job is their reports, and it shouldn't be lumped on top of a full engineer's workload. Our engineering managers manage engineers that are on lots of different contracts, so they don't have to perform any project management or other technical leadership (other than advice), just in-house HR-type stuff. But having a manager handle the boring non-technical stuff is crucial and I think it's fair to dedicate an hour per week per direct report.

I argued that an engineering manager should be expected to do 40 - n hours of billable work per week, where n is the number of direct reports they have. A less desirable choice would be for them to do 40 hours of billable work on top of their management time, but be compensated for the additional work. The company has chosen option C, which is that an engineering manager does 40 hours of billable work, manages some engineers, and doesn't get additional pay, just the "satisfaction that come with being a manager."

To compromise, they've rolled out a new plan for each engineering manager to be capped at 3 direct reports. This means a lot more engineering managers, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but it's still the wrong path in my mind. The engineering manager is still given an additional workload on top of their 40 hours of billable work, with no enforcement of priorities (though certainly a good manager is going to prioritize their reports over client work). I have managed, and I'm good at it, but I'm not interested in this role because I can do less work and get paid the same by staying an engineer. I'm curious to see if enough engineers are interested in taking the engineering manager positions simply for the allure of being a manager. Even if there are, I feel this attracts a certain type of manager (the one who likes to feel important and talk about how good of a manager they are).

How many billable hours does the CFO do?

(No one leading this company has any idea what they're doing, and none of these managers has any real authority to be an agent of change—it only adds accountability for the work that others produce. Take from what what you want.)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Vulture Culture posted:

(No one leading this company has any idea what they're doing, and none of these managers has any real authority to be an agent of change—it only adds accountability for the work that others produce. Take from what what you want.)

They're maximizing billable hours/head which is how they get paid.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Don't get me started on the CFO who tried to insult me for my unreasonable idea that a person in general should work less than 50 hours per week and that salaried doesn't mean "more than 40, always."

I still like the company, and the worst part about all this is that there's no way to A/B test this. 5 years from now, the business will be at a certain size, and even though I think it could have grown larger if they had a better engineering management structure, there's no way to know.

Careful Drums posted:

I don't have much experience working on a serious billable-hours system. But I'm posting because I'm bored today. I think that you're going to get some nerds to bite and the company is going to get what it wants :capitalism:
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. It's like people in tech who work 70 hour weeks without complaint make it harder for people with lives to push back during planning meetings.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Erwin posted:

It's like people in tech who work 70 hour weeks without complaint make it harder for people with lives to push back during planning meetings.

speaking as a dude who works in tech with three kids yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyep though some companies are much better about it than others.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah I don't even have kids (and intend to keep it that way) but I do a ton of volunteer poo poo and music performances and I work so I can do those things. I count myself as extremely lucky that I got the right combination of experience to be in-demand in the industry and able to put my foot down on stuff like that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Erwin posted:

To compromise, they've rolled out a new plan for each engineering manager to be capped at 3 direct reports. This means a lot more engineering managers, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but it's still the wrong path in my mind. The engineering manager is still given an additional workload on top of their 40 hours of billable work, with no enforcement of priorities (though certainly a good manager is going to prioritize their reports over client work).
I can't imagine this plan actually going the whole way. Like if they were profitable at 8, let it balloon up to 20, what possible incentive does anyone have to go on the serious hiring blitz that would bring it down to 3? Not to mention it doesn't scale, is it 3 direct reports on up the chain and you'll be staring at 11 middle managers between you and the CTO? Nah.

It really sounds like they want that many more engineers. And they'll just figure out the maximum amount of management they can wring out for the cost of a title bump.

1 hour a week per direct report sounds fine, but I'd think there'd be work outside of the 1:1??

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Heh, for a second there I thought you might have been talking about my company. The one I'm probably leaving here real soon.

I'm an engineering lead at a consulting company very similar to yours, and my report list has been slowly growing from something manageable to now over 10 by the end of April, with no plan that I'm aware of to hire/promote another lead to spread the load. This is just one thing that is indicative of a new, money-hungry, growth-first culture shift that I'm just plain not on board with. I keep getting given new responsibilities and more reports with little guidance, but still expected to bill near full-time on my own senior engineering work.

I was willing to put up with slightly under-market salaries when my workload and responsibilities were chill and the company was growing organically, but they pushed me a bit too far and now I'm one foot out the door.

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016
What should my strategy be if a company told me they want to fly me across the country to visit (and, probably, give me an offer if that goes well) but neither of us have named a number for salary yet?

Two phone screenings ago they said "between x and x+$30k" but this time they said "we won't be able to give you more than x+$30k" then asked me what number I had in mind (which I managed to avoid answering).

I do have a number, in that range, which will probably force me to say no to an offer if they don't give me at least that. Unless they change their mind or are just biding their time it sounds like they're going to arrange to have me fly out, what I want to avoid is to fly out there just to hear a number I have to say no to.

Advice?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

You know that your number is in their range, so there’s no reason not to interview. If they make an offer that’s too low, you counter. You can do this because you already know that they’re willing to pay you the amount that you need. You’re in basically the best possible position (other than the one where your number is like x / 2, but you know what I mean :shobon:)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Uhh Nope posted:

What should my strategy be if a company told me they want to fly me across the country to visit (and, probably, give me an offer if that goes well) but neither of us have named a number for salary yet?

Two phone screenings ago they said "between x and x+$30k" but this time they said "we won't be able to give you more than x+$30k" then asked me what number I had in mind (which I managed to avoid answering).

I do have a number, in that range, which will probably force me to say no to an offer if they don't give me at least that. Unless they change their mind or are just biding their time it sounds like they're going to arrange to have me fly out, what I want to avoid is to fly out there just to hear a number I have to say no to.

Advice?

Anytime my number is in the range they give I just say the max of the range as my number.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I guess your open offices don't have a Sonos that blasts music all day if you consider them "fine".

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I guess your open offices don't have a Sonos that blasts music all day if you consider them "fine".

A VP in my office started doing this to be "trendy" and it got shut down real quick, thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Officially accepted that offer. Have to/get to drop the bomb at my current employer tomorrow. Both looking forward to and dreading it. There's really nothing realistic they could counter with, so I guess at least it'll be easy to be firm about it. Money aside (and it's a big aside), the numerous lifestyle upgrades and relinquishing of people management to focus on technical leadership is so very appealing.