Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

I think the most frequent claim is that he created Dust "the first Muslim X-Man" and Jessica Cruz* "the first Latina Green Lantern" and therefore he can't be racist.

*citation needed

Sometimes he remembers to say "co-created", other times not.

I mean Jeff Dunham created probably the first Muslim ventriloquist dummy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Edge & Christian posted:

I think the most frequent claim is that he created Dust "the first Muslim X-Man" and Jessica Cruz* "the first Latina Green Lantern" and therefore he can't be racist.

*citation needed

Sometimes he remembers to say "co-created", other times not.

He created the first Arab-Muslim X-Men character and gave them sand powers. If he had been on the marvel team way back when and been given the task of making the first black X-Men what on earth would he have done then? Cotton and Watermelon powers?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

He created the first Arab-Muslim X-Men character and gave them sand powers. If he had been on the marvel team way back when and been given the task of making the first black X-Men what on earth would he have done then? Cotton and Watermelon powers?

Also designed her hijab to tightly hug her body at all times. The thing that hijab is DEFINITELY DESIGNED TO DO.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

Also designed her hijab to tightly hug her body at all times. The thing that hijab is DEFINITELY DESIGNED TO DO.

Which is doubly funny given how Dust said she didn't wear it because she had to, but because she liked the modesty it provides.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Myer stole his idea folder and cashed out the "power of 1,000 slaves" concept.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ObscureAaron/status/1105183113049595906?s=19

20 hours.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Probably lightning and a skateboard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That's of final, edited content. Can you imagine how much footage he shot and the time he spent editing?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Honestly I think Dust is a pretty good depiction. She's pious and devoted, but at the same time she hates violent extremists, and takes pleasure in using her Sand Powers to remove their skin. Kamala Kahn is another awesome character... she's a normal teenaged American girl who just happens to be Muslim, and wants to live a normal teenaged American life. (whoops! Inhuman!)

On the other side we have M, whom they decided to make Muslim because why the gently caress not. She's drank alcohol, had sex, and practically flies around with her boobs flopping out. She's not even remotely humble or spiritual.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

That's of final, edited content. Can you imagine how much footage he shot and the time he spent editing?

Naturally he bragged about how much that amounted to in monetized views, forgetting that Aaron's point was this was time spent he could have spent drawing Bloodfrog.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Puppy Time posted:

I know it's fun to dunk on EVS who don't get me wrong deserves all of the scorn in the world, but I'm not sure where you're getting that from?

Ethan Van Sciver drew four issues of Grant Morrison's 40-ish issue run of New X-Men: 117, 118, 123, and 133. The last of these featured the debut of Dust. She only appeared on a few pages:

I guess it shows off her figure more than many niqab/gown combinations out there, but it doesn't seem to be tightly hugging anything.

It's more figure-revealing then the next time she shows up drawn by Frank Quitely

Most of the subsequent artists on mid-2000s X-Men books draw it somewhere between those two:

Here's Phil Jimenez in Morrison's New X-Men:

[tmg]https://i.imgur.com/MGK7tpI.jpg[/tmg]

Here's Clayton Henry in Hellions:

The main thing you find where you look up Dust's costume is this tweet/thread, which may honestly be based on fanart; if the original skin-tight gown is from an actual Marvel comic, it's not one I ever read and doesn't appear to be from the first five years or so of Dust appearing as a character.

https://twitter.com/TheFoofinator/status/1033509322502889472

So yeah, Dust as a character is a pretty lazy shorthand, which is attributable almost 100% to Grant Morrison, not Ethan Van Sciver. And I don't know who put her in a spandex niquab and gown, but it wasn't Ethan Van Sciver either. This is also why it's kind of weird that he takes credit for the character he drew as a fill-in artist for four panels, but we should probably let facts get in the way of a good story even if EVS never would.

Speaking of which:

Bruceski posted:

Probably lightning and a skateboard.
I was going to ask Rhyno if he posted this just to taunt me, but then I realized it isn't Rhyno. Bruceski, did you post this just to taunt me?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The skateboard thing is real though. I mean I don't gotta dig up that Dwayne McDuffie memo do I?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Aight, I remembered it being A Thing years ago but didn't really care enough to actually check my sources like I shoulda.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dont antagonize anymore!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

The skateboard thing is real though. I mean I don't gotta dig up that Dwayne McDuffie memo do I?
The skateboard thing is simultaneously more real and less real than the lightning power thing.

Here is the pitch/memo to save you time.

It's a valid point/snark in 1989.
    *Luke Cage had been written out of comics when PM/IF ended in 1986, and hadn't appeared in almost three years.
    *Roger Stern had pitched bringing Luke Cage back and having him join the Avengers in 1988 (they even included him in a teaser house ad!) but he either got shot down or left the book before he could appear
    *Roger Stern had prominently featured Monica Rambeau as a member and eventually the leader of the Avengers, and left the book at the end of 1988 when he was told that she needed to step down as leader and leave the team in favor of Captain America
    *Bill Foster had appeared in like one issue of the Evolutionary War Annual crossover as his only real appearance between 1982 and 1992, when Dwayne McDuffie brought him back in a serialized story in Marvel Comics Presents
    *Blade straight up didn't appear in anything other than flashbacks/cameos/handbooks/an eight page one-off between 1982 and a Tomb of Dracula mini-series in 1991
    *Jim Rhodes had been Iron Man for several years in the mid-1980s but had for a variety of reasons decided he just wasn't good enough to be Iron Man (the armor made him act all crazy and also he was afraid to die) so he refused to put a suit on and was basically just Tony's chauffeur/helicopter pilot as of 1989
Cloak and Dagger did have their own ongoing, though the "smart white friend to get them out of trouble" is definitely a dig at how that book was being written.
Storm was still in the X-Men (though as of the writing of that memo, she had recently been presumed dead for six issues and had just been revealed to have turned into a amnesiac depowered child.
Black Panther still had a decent profile, having his own mini-series in 1988, a headlining McGregor/Colan serial in Marvel Comics Presents, and briefly rejoining the Avengers in the summer of 1989.
Falcon was a sporadic supporting character in Gruenwald's Captain America, only appearing in a couple of issues in 1989.

Meanwhile, with all of the characters listed above sidelined and/or ignored, former Marvel EiC Gerry Conway did a backdoor pilot for THE OUTLAWS in Web of Spider-Man #50 (released March 1989), a team of ex-cons led by smart white lady Silver Sable and featuring the dug-out-from-obscurity jive-talkin' skateboard-ridin' Rocket Racer.

A few months later, then-current Marvel EiC Tom DeFalco introduced "THE HEROES FOR THE 90S" The New Warriors in his Thor comic, featuring the skateboard ridin' Night Thrasher. He doesn't crack wise or use slang, but he's a rage filled hothead who starts raving about NOT BEING IGNORED and how he'll MAKE EVERYONE PAY and smart white lady Firestar notes that he is "losing it" and she'd better rescue him from the Juggernaut. To say nothing of the name NIGHT THRASHER being given to a new young black New Yorker character the same summer that there was a nationwide panic about "Wilding" and the uncontrollable young minorities stalking the night looking to rob/rape/murder anyone they see, sparked off by the Central Park Five case. If you're not familiar with the case, look it up or watch the Ken Burns documentary about it. It is hosed up!

So yeah, Night Thrasher was a hosed up character debut as essentially the only prominent new black character introduced in 1989, right on the heels of bringing back the other black dude on a skateboard who is a former criminal. And that the character was being created as part of a big initiative by the editor-in-chief of the company. McDuffie was right to be pissed off about black guys writing skateboards at the end of 1989. But there are literally two black dudes on skateboards than I can think of in the entire history of superhero comics.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I mentally include Static and his hoverboard on that list, though he didn't come out until a few years after the memo. I thought I remembered more guys with a similar shtick, but poking around I think I just saw Static in a bunch of different contexts over the years and my brain filed them as separate. Like I was familiar enough with the guy to say "I've seen that powerset before" but not to say "oh it's Static again".

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Edge & Christian posted:

But there are literally two black dudes on skateboards than I can think of in the entire history of superhero comics.

It was after the fact, but Spyke from the X-Men: Evolution cartoon embodies the memo to a T. That's comics-adjacent, though.

Also he was related to the other black character on the show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Man, I gotta quit sleeping on that F&F series

They only becomes entertaining when the Rock joins the cast.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dawgstar posted:

Does he still demand credit for being racially sensitive for creating Dust and being creative in general because he created the Stepford Cuckoos even though he was working with Grant who sketches his characters to give to the artist beforehand?

I'm amazed that Morrison takes credit for creating the Cuckoos when they're explicitly taken from the movie adaptation of a John Wyndham novel.

(Actually I'm not, because Morrison takes credit for everything, but YKWIM.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alhazred posted:

They only becomes entertaining when the Rock joins the cast.
I don't really agree. The only pre-Rock one I'd say isn't even really entertaining is 2F2F. Tokyo Drift is at least fun, if bad, and the first is an okay action movie, if of its time. F4 is good, though it's definitely a transitory movie into what the series becomes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

I don't really agree. The only pre-Rock one I'd say isn't even really entertaining is 2F2F. Tokyo Drift is at least fun, if bad, and the first is an okay action movie, if of its time. F4 is good, though it's definitely a transitory movie into what the series becomes.

Tokyo Drift is flawless

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

The first ones doesn't seem to realize how silly they are and tries to be somewhat realistic. Then the Rock joins and they finally embrace the silliness and they becomes violent car-toons.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

The first ones doesn't seem to realize how silly they are and tries to be somewhat realistic. Then the Rock joins and they finally embrace the silliness and they becomes violent car-toons.

The third movie is literally an 80s sports movie with a winner gets the girl losers leaves town race down the mountain and is by the guy who made 4-6

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
2fast gets a lot of unnecessary poo poo imo theres a some great sequences in there and the end is where the bonkers style f&f that everyone praises nowadays originated

Tokyo drift is worth watching if you're getting into series because HAN and like 4-7 are a lot better when you know the "first" han story, but ive seen fair criticisms about it being a white savior story

site fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 12, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

site posted:

2fast gets a lot of unnecessary poo poo imo theres a some great sequences in there and the end is where the bonkers style f&f that everyone praises nowadays originated
Yeah, if you're going to watch any pre-Rock F&F films, 2Fast is the only one that's worth watching.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

. Tokyo Drift is at least fun, if bad, and the first is an okay action movie, if of its time.

WHAT

in the actual gently caress

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Comicsgate: Rank Your Fasts and Furiouses

Jedit posted:

I'm amazed that Morrison takes credit for creating the Cuckoos when they're explicitly taken from the movie adaptation of a John Wyndham novel.

(Actually I'm not, because Morrison takes credit for everything, but YKWIM.)
Naming characters inspired by the Midwich Cuckoos/Stepford Wives the "Stepford Cuckoos" is not exactly hiding the inspiration, but IMHO IYKWIM ISTM ATEOD Morrison still CTCFTMU so YMMV but I'm comfortable with him taking credit for the characters in the same way that Geoff Johns is credited with creating the Black Lanterns or Kurt Busiek gets co-creator credit for all of the Astro City characters or Morrison also gets credit for creating Fantomex and Cassandra Nova. MIMS.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This is an amazing line of reasoning because I don't even feel like all the people who wrote X-Men universally had an iron-clad grasp on what the X-Men were about (Whedon and Bendis spring to mind), let alone the people who illustrated them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is MOrrison on any social media? I feel like it's time for him to weigh in on how much Ethan contributed to Dust and the actual plot.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gynovore posted:

On the other side we have M, whom they decided to make Muslim because why the gently caress not. She's drank alcohol, had sex, and practically flies around with her boobs flopping out. She's not even remotely humble or spiritual.

I mean I had a casual thing with a Turkish woman who did all of that bar the flying at the drop of a hat and still swore up and down she was an upright Muslim woman. Seeing her try to do the prayer to Mecca drunk and stoned could be a good time.

Every religion has em.

Edit: Gonna amend that I wasn't saying she isn't. Just saying that just like any religion, many if not most people pick and choose what's important to them.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 13, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gynovore posted:

It's a little ridiculous to assume that every muslim is a pious individual that follows every rule.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

WHAT

in the actual gently caress

Truth, it's better than 2, and as a whole I probably like 4 more, but parts of that drag which isn't an issue with 3.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not one, not two, but THREE IndieGoGos for Cyberfrog!

https://twitter.com/AGramuglia/status/1105541358515879936

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

No see, it's been shipped to the printer, he just used Zeno's Paradox shipping. It just has to get half the original distance, then halfway there again, then halfway there again, etc.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Alhazred posted:

It's a little ridiculous to assume that every muslim is a pious individual that follows every rule.

Eh. I don't claim to be an expert on Islam, but from what I've heard, alcohol and extramarital sex are BIG no-nos.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, extramarital loving is also a big no-no in most every Christian sect, and I have terrible news about how often people stick with that one. You probably shouldn't jump so fast into the subject if you're self admitting you don't know much about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Eh. I don't claim to be an expert on Islam, but from what I've heard, alcohol and extramarital sex are BIG no-nos.

What if I told you there were Catholics who went to mass every Sunday and also had extramarital sex, also Jews who ate bacon?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Breaking kosher laws is too delicious to stop, yes

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Gynovore posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Don't tell him about the entire centuries long tradition of Jewish-American humor, his monocle might shatter.