Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I know we've all accepted this show looks great, but im still amazed by just how crisp and beautiful everything looks. even when the episodes aren't all out stunners, they have such a strong baseline of quality that they look amazing. im getting sad we only have three episodes left.

my favorite thing this week was Dimple peeling off Mob's face like a skin mask

I also never picked up on the HxH York New City vibes this arc gives off until someone else said it but yeah it kinda does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

body improvement club ftmfw

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Also important:

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

So wholesome how proud the captain is of Mob :3:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It makes me so happy that the body improvement club are such good friends with Mob.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

skaianDestiny posted:

Also important:

in a show full good boys, it's nice to see some good girls too :3:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I might never be able to remember the names of the BIC boys but I will forever remember how wholesome and positive they are. It's genuinely touching to see that just as they're all an inspiration for Shigeo he also inspires them to try their hardest in return.

Really wish this was a 2 cour season so we could see the rest of the manga animated this year but I'll wait if it means BONES don't have to work themselves to death.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I don't imagine every one of Mob's relatives and close friends is going to have a moment with him during this war, but I'm going to deeply cherish each one. I can feel it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

GimmickMan posted:

I might never be able to remember the names of the BIC boys but I will forever remember how wholesome and positive they are. It's genuinely touching to see that just as they're all an inspiration for Shigeo he also inspires them to try their hardest in return.

here you go
Musashi Gouda

Ryohei Shimura

Hideki Yamamura

Hiroshi Kumagawa

Jun Sagawa

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was hoping someone would post those, yes, thank you.

We just need one for Oniwabara now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So the Claw leader is Jordan Peterson, isn't he

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I thought they were all good strong boys. But who the hell does not like Bell Peppers?

Kfroog
Nov 9, 2012
Japanese children do not like bell peppers.
It's okay, though, they get better as adults.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think in Japan, bell peppers are used in the same way that we in the west might use a broccoli. Like, it's a stereotypical childish character trait not to like Bell peppers. Just imagine the symbolism of the broccoli and its the same kind of thing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's the stereotypical equivalent of a kid who won't eat broccoli.
(I'm given to understand that locally grown bell peppers tend to be more bitter-tasting owing to the soil.)

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Bell peppers suck regardless of age, there, I said it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Conot posted:

But but but, they're delicious when fried in slices with garlic and butter with salt and pepper!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
They are king when it comes to Vitamin C

I use them in a lot of my dishes. Almost anything gets improved by adding a bit of red bell pepper.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

I would... Not make careless comparisons to real life personas...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Conot posted:

I say stuff that isn't true all the time, bitch

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Fangz posted:

i mean, he is a snake oil salesman giving terrible advice to disenfranchised men who believe his every word while also having a distant relationship with his son so

Toichiro at least doesn't look like he's going to keel over and die from a meat only diet

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Get yourself some friends that love and respect you like the Body Improvement Club love and respect Mob.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There are ways in which Jordan Peterson and his philosophy can be said to be like a cult of personality.

But if your reaction after seeing a cult/terrorist organization bomb a major city and kidnap a public official is, "oh, this is just like Jordan Peterson!" then I think you may be approaching things from the wrong direction.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Conot posted:

Big agree, they have the most horrendous aftertaste regardless of preparation

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you are watching this and thinking the point of the show is that "blowing up cities and kidnapping officials is bad" and the show is otherwise not applicable to anything in real life - and not that "one should be worried about the sorts of personality Peterson the Claw boss represents and the insecurity he exploits, of which the aforementioned crimes is just an extreme example of a consequence"...

Then I think *you* are approaching the show from the wrong direction.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I understand not wanting to jump to People Like Peterson Are Violent Terrorists, but the comparison of evil leaders like Toichiro with real rear end people who belief and preach that you should never care what anyone thinks of you and through that you are free to do or say anything is a fair topic of discussion.

Obviously this arc is going to be trying to answer "What do we do with those kind of people? With people who aren't childish bullies looking for attention and respect, but dangerous manipulators who don't care about anyone?"

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 12, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I see Claw boss as sort of a Dark Reigen. That conversation he had with umbrella guy had a similar tone to Reigen talking to Mob.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, even down to the reactions of both of them being blushy and starry-eyed when hearing wisdom from their Shishou, with a third party of Dimple and Shimazaki in disbelief. It's just the wisdom is Be A Selfish Person, That's All.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fangz posted:

If you are watching this and thinking the point of the show is that "blowing up cities and kidnapping officials is bad" and the show is otherwise not applicable to anything in real life - and not that "one should be worried about the sorts of personality Peterson the Claw boss represents and the insecurity he exploits, of which the aforementioned crimes is just an extreme example of a consequence"...

Then I think *you* are approaching the show from the wrong direction.

Cult leaders telling their indoctrinated followers to commit terrorism may be a bit more applicable in Japan than I think you are giving credit.

If we're going to compare Claw Boss to a real rear end person I'd start with Shoko Asahara and not the lobster guy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i mean you're not wrong, but it's also not wrong for someone to instantly map a character on a figure they know better. it's not like either is really a stretch

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There's already two cults in Mob Psycho 100. Claw is not a cult, and certainly isn't an apocalyptic suicide cult like that one. It's explicitly secular and philosophical, and global in extent. Peterson is a pretty good fit from what we have seen.

I mean they literally kidnap the PM at an event on sexual harassment........

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 12, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah, even down to the reactions of both of them being blushy and starry-eyed when hearing wisdom from their Shishou, with a third party of Dimple and Shimazaki in disbelief. It's just the wisdom is Be A Selfish Person, That's All.

Oh, I like this angle.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

i mean you're not wrong, but it's also not wrong for someone to instantly map a character on a figure they know better. it's not like either is really a stretch

Fangz posted:

Peterson is a pretty good fit from what we have seen.

I mean they literally kidnap the PM at an event on sexual harassment........

That's exactly why I think it is a stretch. Peterson is some lovely professor who sells pop psych. He's not kidnapping PMs.

You are giving the man way too much credit by making this comparison.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Claw boss didn't kidnap the PM himself.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I mean we just had that whole conversation about chuunis and manchildren relative to the last arc of series one. Is the series literally saying chuunis are kidnapping kids, setting up secret lairs in the woods, blowing up buildings?

The precise nature of what the Claw boss is up to is a metaphor - it's not literally saying Peterson is kidnapping the PM. And when I say 'he's Peterson' I mean that the Claw boss is representative of Peterson's ilk.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Schwarzwald posted:

That's exactly why I think it is a stretch. Peterson is some lovely professor who sells pop psych. He's not kidnapping PMs.

You are giving the man way too much credit by making this comparison.
Peterson is a lovely professor who believes that that you should be able to just say whatever you want (Toichiro believes that you should just act however you want) and sells his awful ideas to lonely insecure men (Toichiro gives his bad advice to Serizawa who really looks up to Toichiro and it's been alluded that Serizawa was a neet that Toichiro's been grooming) so you can see the dna of one in the other.

It wouldn't have been my first comparison and it's absolutely not the authorial intent but with it being brought up, it's a "oh yeah i can see that" for me. i don't think it's bad to discuss. we absolutely have cults of personality in the west so for someone to post "oh he's kinda like this other guy" makes sense

this is probably too much discussion about peterson but oh well

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What would be your first comparison?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Real world people generally don't lead psychic takeovers of government buildings but there are real people who are incapable of parsing the concerns of other human beings as a thing that they should think about or care about beyond how they can extract value from them, and I'm pretty sure that is what Boss Claw is going for.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I don't really care for discussion of some loser I've never heard of in the Mob Psycho thread personally.

More importantly Bones cut out the part where Mob shoots a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Hey, let's be fair here.

Dimple shoots a gun.