Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Got five historical bloodlines plus an ambition bloodline plus a saint bloodline all on a pretty big family.

Black Death wipes all of them out except for a distant branch that's been hanging out in Outrejordan for two hundred years and has no bloodlines attached.

gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bold Robot posted:

I'm having a weird thing happen as viking Denmark from the 867 start where I have tons of prisoners for unclear reasons. Right now it's 927, I have 113 prisoners, including the Emperor of Francia whom I don't remember capturing. A few years ago I noticed that my wife had somehow ended up in my prison, I have no idea how. I have been raiding here and there but have not captured nearly as many as this. What's going on?

Sounds like a bug? I can't find any explanation for this. Perhaps if the people your vassals captured through raiding would end up in your dungeon (which would still be a bug)? But that wouldn't explain your wife getting imprisoned. This is really strange.

Funky Valentine posted:

Got five historical bloodlines plus an ambition bloodline plus a saint bloodline all on a pretty big family.

Black Death wipes all of them out except for a distant branch that's been hanging out in Outrejordan for two hundred years and has no bloodlines attached.

gently caress me.

At least your dynasty didn't die out. A shame about the historical bloodlines. Perhaps you could check if some of your main branch dynasty members passed their bloodlines on to some bastards, or were matri-married into other families that are still alive?

Should be easy to check, the bloodlines tab list all alive characters with the specific bloodline.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Close the drat gates!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Need some help in my Navarra game I'm planning on porting to EUIV eventually. It's about 1095.

I think I switched to primogeniture a little too quickly because for the last three generations I've been playing as a demoted duke because I chose to give up the throne to my cousin after my granddad King Gilen the Just died after ruling for about 35 years.

The line of the family that's ruling as kings now has passed to a daughter who married some Muslim and has like 4 Muslim kids outside our dynasty. If I let it play out, we're gonna get holy warred. Since I'm still in regency, what are my options? (I've been playing since 769 so if worse comes to worst I might just console kill those non-dynastic inheritors.)

But even if I wasn't in regency, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get people to join factions. How does that generally work?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you can burn a favor to make someone join factions you lead, but obviously that's expensive. beyond that, it's more or less "is there something in this for me and do i hate the current liege"

if you're talking about a claimant faction you want to make sure people like the claimant a lot more than they like the current ruler. use sway on critical targets, get the Rumors malus on the liege for -10 general opinion, or take the carousing focus and get a bunch of people to party with you. if you're talking about an independence faction then lol good luck, people rarely join independence factions because there is never anything in it for them.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Independence factions only really form up if there are vassals outside dejure territory of the primary title.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any tips to break up giant nations from the outside in the earlier starts? I知 about 100 years into an 867 game and Francia (consisting of a unified west and east Francia, but not Lotharingia) has been annoyingly stable.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Thanks all. Yeah I don't plan on going independent. I'll probably just console kill those non-dynastic kids and get on with it since I'm still in regency. If this were ironman I would probably declare independence to keep my core territories safe and join in on the eventual holy war to reconquer the kingdom not only for Catholicism but also for my branch of the family. But since it's not and I plan on exporting eventually, I'll just do what makes sense for my sandbox-ish playthrough. Even from an RP perspective I don't see why a potential woman inheritor would ever not get matri-married (or at least not marry a non-Catholic).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the primary thing to do if you can't beat them in the field is to make the top liege very unpopular. there's a few ways you can manage this.

1) you can antagonize the liege and hope the blackguard event pops, which will give you the (costly) opportunity to seriously harm vassal relations
2) get a good chancellor and send him around to the liege's most powerful vassals with the 'sow dissent' mission
3) become rivals with the liege and then duel him until you disfigure him
4) if catholic, get him excommunicated.

many AI realms don't need that much cajoling to get a powerful increase council power faction going, and if that revolt succeeds you can basically double down on your tactics to get a gavelkind faction going.

if you CAN beat the enemy ruler in the field, then the answer is simple, just antagonize him until you are rivals and then gently caress him up with the Rivalry CB. if you win that war you will imprison him. keeping him in prison will destroy his options for stopping any bullshit in his realm and also kill his personal diplomacy, which will make his council dislike him.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I may have been Viking a bit too hard lately, but antagonize -> duel -> crush skulls until there's a baby on the throne.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Interesting, I haven稚 really played since Antagonize got added so I値l have to try that. My dude has like 200 personal combat skill so I値l try to piss Francia off and set up a duel.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Any tips to break up giant nations from the outside in the earlier starts? I知 about 100 years into an 867 game and Francia (consisting of a unified west and east Francia, but not Lotharingia) has been annoyingly stable.

Wait--west and east WITHOUT Lotharingia? If they're not connected by any land, then maybe you could make them start to schism just by getting rid of East Francia's coast...depending on whether you're playing with the exclave independence rule.

If they haven't actually formed the Empire of Francia, and it's just one Francia having swallowed both titles, then you might just be able to gavelkind them apart.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Interesting, I haven稚 really played since Antagonize got added so I値l have to try that. My dude has like 200 personal combat skill so I値l try to piss Francia off and set up a duel.

perfect. eventually through Antagonize you can make him your rival. just constantly challenge him to duels and severely wound/maim/etc him, eventually he's gonna either die or get disfigured. if he gets disfigured, perfect, that's what you want. if he dies, fine, just do the same thing to his successor until the realm is a complete disaster from all the administration changes.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wait--west and east WITHOUT Lotharingia? If they're not connected by any land, then maybe you could make them start to schism just by getting rid of East Francia's coast...depending on whether you're playing with the exclave independence rule.

If they haven't actually formed the Empire of Francia, and it's just one Francia having swallowed both titles, then you might just be able to gavelkind them apart.

It's a weird shape and they have formed the Empire of Francia:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Is that a Rorsach test?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Bold Robot posted:

You can always swear fealty and destroy from the inside, but generally that leaves you in charge of the empire you swear to. Getting in range of China and blowing them up isn't impossible, but that would involve a massive expansion into Russia/the Mediterranean.

edit: swearing fealty would involve falsely confessing to christianity

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

gently caress me.
Someone didn't seed the historical plague exclusion zone just in case~

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

What's that? Iceland?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yes, he's referring to iceland. if it's even remotely convenient it's worth it to install your dynasty at every level of government up there and then just make them independent - they won't contribute much being part of your realm, but they're very safe from the ravages of plagues.

i like to try to flip the place as soon as i have my kingdom if i can manage it because after a few generations it also makes for a good occasional dynast with no claims on your poo poo that you can invite to your realm in order to land them. obviously in an ideal world, all your counts, dukes, and vassal kings are dynasts with no claims other than the ones you give them, since they will be marginally friendlier and contribute to your dynasty prestige.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought the plague exclusion zone was Poland

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Poland was completely untouched by the Black Death in my game so it also counts in Plague Exclusion Zone.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

poland definitely got bent over by the black death the last two games i played so i wouldn't count on that at all. all that said, if you are using the historical black death outbreaks and start in 769 it's entirely probable that at least your home county, if not your home duchy will be mostly immune to the disease by the time it shows up. 75% disease resist is iron-clad against the plague. it costs a metric assload of money to get the level 5 hospital and the few accouterment buildings to make it happen with prospering (around 8k per county) but if you get to king early and emperor not long after that's a lot more manageable than it sounds.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 12, 2019

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There's actually a way to see the historical plague exclusion zone in game, it's one of the region toggles. Iceland is one, yes, but so are parts of Africa

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Declare war and let all your border counties get looted when the plague shows up to kill prosperity and improve disease resistance

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

There's actually a way to see the historical plague exclusion zone in game, it's one of the region toggles. Iceland is one, yes, but so are parts of Africa

I've definitely had the plague sweep through all of Africa in a recentish Africa game. It only happened after I went feudal though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TTBF posted:

I've definitely had the plague sweep through all of Africa in a recentish Africa game. It only happened after I went feudal though.

It has a bunch of outbreak scenarios, and only 50% of the time does it respect the historical plague free zone :

code:
                outbreak_scenario = { # Classic plague, misses India and respects the HPFZ
                        chance = 0.30
                        start_provinces = {
                        }
                        excluded_regions = {
                                world_india_deccan world_india_bengal world_india_rajastan custom_historical_plague_free_zone world_himalayas
                        }
                }

outbreak_scenario = { # Classic plague, misses India but does not respect the HPFZ
                        chance = 0.20
                        start_provinces = {
                        }
                        excluded_regions = {
                                world_india_deccan world_india_bengal world_india_rajastan world_himalayas
                        }
                }

outbreak_scenario = { # Classic plague, misses Africa rather than India and respects the HPFZ
                        chance = 0.10
                        start_provinces = {
                        }
                        excluded_regions = {
                                world_africa custom_historical_plague_free_zone
                        }
                }

outbreak_scenario = { # Classic plague, misses Africa rather than India but does not respect the HPFZ
                        chance = 0.10
                        start_provinces = {
                        }
                        excluded_regions = {
                                world_africa
                        }
                }

outbreak_scenario = { # Comes via India and misses Scandinavia and respects the HPFZ
                        chance = 0.10
                        start_provinces = {
                        }
                        excluded_regions = {
                                world_europe_north custom_historical_plague_free_zone
                        }
                }

outbreak_scenario = { # Comes via India and misses Britain
                        chance = 0.10
                        start_provinces = {
                        }
                        excluded_regions = {
                                world_europe_west_brittania
                        }
                }

outbreak_scenario = { # Comes via India and misses the Steppe and Himalaya
                        chance = 0.10
                        start_provinces = {
                        }
                        excluded_regions = {
                                world_steppe world_himalayas
                        }
                }
e: I guess if you use the historic plague game setting (but why would you?) it uses the following:

code:
                outbreak_scenario = { # Classic plague
                        chance = 1
                        start_provinces = {
                        }
                        excluded_regions = {
                                world_india_deccan world_india_bengal world_india_rajastan custom_historical_plague_free_zone world_himalayas
                        }
                }
        }

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 12, 2019

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Playing as the Byzantines. I've noticed that some of my Themes have been reverting to Duchies, which means they have a big malus against me because they hate viceroyalties. Why does that happen? How can I stop it, or change them back into viceroyalties?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

They don't just revert on their own. Have your vassals been taking titles from each other? Have you been accidentally handing them out as non-viceroyalties?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Node posted:

Playing as the Byzantines. I've noticed that some of my Themes have been reverting to Duchies, which means they have a big malus against me because they hate viceroyalties. Why does that happen? How can I stop it, or change them back into viceroyalties?

Are you sure these were viceroyalties before? It might be your vassals conquering stuff and forming the duchies themselves.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also even if the title is a viceroyalty they will still hate you for handing them out. That penalty is based off government type. If they were somehow switched to Imperial instead of Feudal then they wouldn't care.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mission accomplished:

Now to spend the next couple of centuries until the end of the game consolidating all my god drat bloodlines. They just keep piling up but because I've got eldership inheritance I keep ping ponging around different branches of the dynasty so no one has all the six or so bloodlines and some just have one.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Not been playing CKII for a while. What's the verdict on Holy Fury? Worth the pickup? The features look pretty good and being able to steer your religion sounds awesome.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

holy fury is awesome, well worth the money

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Holy Fury is the best DLC since Conclave

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mission accomplished:

Now to spend the next couple of centuries until the end of the game consolidating all my god drat bloodlines. They just keep piling up but because I've got eldership inheritance I keep ping ponging around different branches of the dynasty so no one has all the six or so bloodlines and some just have one.

Man they need to adjust the realm-name-display algorithm to let it expand across deserts. Uniting Africa looks like a lot of fun but I want to see the giant AFRICA spread across the continent rather than jammed awkwardly in a corner :(

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

I was confused when my third child was given the same name as the second one, so I checked and... my character may not be the most imaginative gal out there, it seems :raise:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jiru posted:

I was confused when my third child was given the same name as the second one, so I checked and... my character may not be the most imaginative gal out there, it seems :raise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Foreman

quote:

Foreman has 12 children, five sons and seven daughters. His five sons are George Jr., George III ("Monk"), George IV ("Big Wheel"), George V ("Red"), and George VI ("Little Joey").

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jiru posted:

To be fair I'm given to understand that actual parenthood is more a matter of "you" and "the other one" than actually using names so really she's just maximizing her efficiency.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Makes sense, he even forced George III to take the vows to remove him from the succession!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Coolguye posted:

holy fury is awesome, well worth the money

Elias_Maluco posted:

Holy Fury is the best DLC since Conclave

I may have to pick that up then once i get off my brick laptop. It's going to be awesome to reform a pagan religion with my own spin and the bloodlines look awesome. It's a shame shattered world isn't actually shattered like the randomized map of the new world in EU4. That would have been amazing.