Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Jag incapable of using concrete examples in his speeches? Out of all three leaders he has got to be the least decisive sounding speaker. Trudeau might be wishy-washy and spout a whole lot of nothing but when he's working off of a script his speechwriters have tailored for him he can actually sound articulate.

Every drat time Jagmeet talks it's a blur of white noise "were doing a thing to a thing because of a thing for a thing" without ever saying what thing is.

"Quebec has an identity. So we're doing a thing for Quebec, such as"

This isnt quite true. When Trudeau first took over and during the first half of the campaign that is very much what he sounded like. It was a big part of the reason expectations for him were so laughably low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Furnaceface posted:

This isnt quite true. When Trudeau first took over and during the first half of the campaign that is very much what he sounded like. It was a big part of the reason expectations for him were so laughably low.

The masses of the people demand feelings, not policies

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

vyelkin posted:

Never forget that one of the things JWR was told when they were pressuring her was "we can line up op-eds from here to the moon saying you did the right thing".

I've no idea actually. From personal experience I'm young and I don't think I ever remember it being a different way. My hunch would be the same as yours, that it's something that came with neoliberalism and love for "job creators". Certainly the narrative from the wealthy has been that by providing jobs they're immune to all criticism for a lot longer than that, but before the advent of neoliberalism it seems there was a much stronger counter-narrative saying jobs aren't the be-all and end-all and in fact our end goal should be no one having to work at all.

The first factory closures and the like from relocation to China would've been the mid to late 70s as after Nixon's push to open trade. Shortly after that the rhetoric became a favorite tool of the establishment cause. However, it's a knife sharpened by economic downturns. We live in the shadow of 2008. Everyone is always terrified of losing their job still, it's the omnipresent post economic apocalypse feeling we likely won't escape from, absent a very big shift in societal perspectives.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Le Saboteur posted:

Just got retweeted by a super obvious Trudeau bot account. Very odd. https://twitter.com/judyjackson2086?s=09

The new ad money buy

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/M_Vastel/status/1105426421642596353

This is a big get and dramatically ups the odds of the NDP holding the seat. The Khadir/Machouf household (and I do mean literally their house) has been at the nexus of all left politics in Montréal for like, two decades.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My only hope is that this brings us one step closer to QS doing a hostile takeover of the federal NDP.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

vyelkin posted:

My only hope is that this brings us one step closer to QS doing a hostile takeover of the federal NDP.

My sense when I was in Mtl (which might be outdated, we've had a general election and mayoral election and provincial election since then) is that there was a big Project Montréal/QS activist overlap and a big Projet/NDP overlap, but not so much QS/NDP. Hopefully this helps bridge that!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Yay

https://twitter.com/EricGrenierCBC/status/1105450765722750976

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I really like how Eric Grenier doesn't provide any of his methodology for seat projections or probability of winning.

:pseudo:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Proprietary haruspicy

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I really like how Eric Grenier doesn't provide any of his methodology for seat projections or probability of winning.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-vote-seat-methodology-1.4054947

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

what methodology

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
To put probability into practical context, a party with a 25 per cent probability of winning has as much of a chance of winning the election as someone does of flipping a coin twice and getting "heads" both times. Unlikely — but still very possible.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

To put probability into practical context, a party with a 25 per cent probability of winning has as much of a chance of winning the election as someone does of flipping a coin twice and getting "heads" both times. Unlikely — but still very possible.

WTF is this Discovery Math bullshit?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
:siren:Just in case some of you political junkies have some love left in your hateful hearts::siren:

Lowtax discussing SomethingAwful Money Problems

You can donate the usual way, or support the patreon, or buy some poster you think is really cool/stupid an AV that says "yo i'm cool/stupid as hell"

and also there is apparently a store where you can buy the worst looking t shirts but the other options are better imo

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

WTF is this Discovery Math bullshit?

It's the last bit of eric grenier explaining his methodology to practical canadians. Lowtax is so hosed, why not get his canadian wife to sponsor him and move here in 6-8 months, spouses are exempt from the medically demanding denial.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

The seat projection ranges are hilarious. 90-190? Why not just say, I have no loving idea.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Also lowtax has made a lot of money off mine and everybody else's content and i'm sorry he was too dumb to save it, but thems the breaks aint it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RBC posted:

The seat projection ranges are hilarious. 90-190? Why not just say, I have no loving idea.

Because that's always been his MO?

His error bars are a mile wide and when reality lands just slightly outside of that he claims 90% accuracy.

It's the last bit of eric grenier explaining his methodology to practical canadians. Lowtax is so hosed, why not get his canadian wife to sponsor him and move here in 6-8 months, spouses are exempt from the medically demanding denial.

I'm pretty sure he's also being sued by the great state of Missouri for outstanding tax debt of like $100k, which might complicate things somewhat

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Seat projections are impossible without regional polling which no one wants to do here with any regularity so why not just throw darts at a dartboard and get a nice CBC paycheque

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

:siren:Just in case some of you political junkies have some love left in your hateful hearts::siren:

You can donate the usual way, or support the patreon, or buy some poster you think is really cool/stupid an AV that says "yo i'm cool/stupid as hell"

and also there is apparently a store where you can buy the worst looking t shirts but the other options are better imo

I bought archives and donated before even seeing this post because if the forums die I'll lose all my friends by ranting at them about Canadian politics instead of doing it in this thread.

The actual most revealing part is when he says that a "star candidate" gives a flat 15% boost.

Like the fact that it's such a nice round number says so much about how he just picked a number at random instead of bothering to look at whether or not running a high-profile candidate actually makes any difference.

"Star candidate = +15%" is the kind of thing you would expect to see in a bad computer game about running an election, not in a supposedly serious poll tracker and election predictor.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

hello cbc i predict the liberals will win 0-338 seats can have money now

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Blood Boils posted:

That's why they never shoulda pera'd CI. Coulda just kept banning him once a week or so whenever he couldn't restrain himself. Easy money.

For real though, support your forums and the Tax man, or were all gonna have to take the poli chat to r/canada.

*shudder*

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

RBC posted:

Also lowtax has made a lot of money off mine and everybody else's content and i'm sorry he was too dumb to save it, but thems the breaks aint it.

Hey banker man if you know of a better internet forum place then by all means give us the deets

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I'm pretty sure he's also being sued by the great state of Missouri for outstanding tax debt of like $100k, which might complicate things somewhat

oh dear god what the gently caress lowta-- ohhhhhh

poor guy. Suddenly being afflicted with a debilitating illness that requires major surgery sucks rear end

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 13, 2019

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

vyelkin posted:

if the forums die I'll lose all my friends by ranting at them about Canadian politics instead of doing it in this thread

I think you speak for all of us here.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Fr-i-en-ds?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

American healthcare is worse than cancer

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

THC posted:

Thanks Obama.

(no seriously, that one you can legit blame at least in part on Obama)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

American medical debt is heartbreaking and enraging,

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Blood Boils posted:

:smith:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

If we band together we can sponsor him as a refugee

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

THC posted:

It's nice to have a reminder preview of what will happen if when Dougie and his small government buddies get their way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jan posted:

It's nice to have a reminder preview of what will happen if when Dougie and his small government buddies get their way.

First they came for the single-use plastics and I didn't speak up because I- wait, that's not a bad idea actually?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

xtal posted:

If we band together we can sponsor him as a refugee

It's government oppression if I've ever seen it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

First they came for the single-use plastics and I didn't speak up because I- wait, that's not a bad idea actually?

The only question I have is what the access will be like for medical/disability uses. Like straws are an easy target but make drinking a lot easier for people with physical disabilities. I’m going through a bunch doing voice therapy. I can imagine a douche being counted as a single-use plastic, although I reuse one for medical reasons daily. How will those kinds of uses be accounted for? I’m skeptical of Dougie caring for medical/disability rights.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arivia posted:

The only question I have is what the access will be like for medical/disability uses. Like straws are an easy target but make drinking a lot easier for people with physical disabilities. I’m going through a bunch doing voice therapy. I can imagine a douche being counted as a single-use plastic, although I reuse one for medical reasons daily. How will those kinds of uses be accounted for? I’m skeptical of Dougie caring for medical/disability rights.

Yeah I don't know how comprehensive it is in other states or countries that do it. There are lots of other medical examples of single-use plastic but my understanding is bans are usually centred more around basic consumer stuff like shopping bags and straws and take-out containers. Things that largely we could choose to avoid or replace. Not literally all single-use plastics including things we need to live.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Speaking of previews. Things to look forward to on a federal level from the cons.

The result of cuts to children's aid is already well underway just a few months into this train-wreck.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/budget-cuts-force-children-s-aid-layoffs-in-opioid-ravaged-brant-ont-1.4333758

quote:

With more than 400 open cases and limited foster homes, the cuts will make an already difficult situation even worse.

“I realize there’s always efficiencies to be made, but when I see drastic cuts like this that are going to affect the lives of these kids that are already in trouble, I find that really hard to take,” Koster said.

“The Ministry can say ‘do these cuts,’ but I have to live with the consequences of my actions.”

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If I were witty I'm sure I could pen a modern satirical pamphlet mixing A Modest Proposal with Murray Rothbard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
While I am sympathetic to Lowtax as a founder for this wonderful website, and I wish him all the best and hope he raises the money to pay off his debts, it's a shame he got rid of Laissez-Faire, the most popular subforum, because of a measly visit from the Secret Service. If he hadn't, perhaps we could have instituted some sort of public healthcare after the glorious revolution that was only months away!

;)