Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Do you accept VA mortgages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EBB posted:

Do you accept VA mortgages?

No, but we will accept Western Sky

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Well, it is Week 8, and I want to die. I want to build a time machine, and go back 6 weeks and slap myself for thinking that working full time, going to school full time, and taking on an Internship for the work based learning credits was a good idea. I really should have paid attention to the fact that my electronics class is 4 credit hours, and that this paid internship only gives me - 1 -.

The up sides are that the job I am doing is handled by 2 guys in a factory employing a few thousand, and they have been doing it for 25 years. So yay, job security and a somewhat specialized skill set right out of the box. It pays pretty well, and circuit boards don't talk back. My boss is using words like "If you decide to stay with the company" instead of "If you get hired in...", so I must be doing ok. I am making more at this internship than I am in my day job, and the combined paychecks are nice.

The down side is I am only home to maybe sleep, and I am having real problems keeping Coffee in me, namely I cannot bring Coffee into the Clean Rooms. I need to figure this problem out as the alternative that is actually sleeping is not going to happen for another 8 or so weeks. Wait, Spring break is next week. I MIGHT be able to sleep, but probably not.

I cannot wait for this to end.

As an aside, does anyone have a quick and easy guide to boolean algebra?

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Anybody remember if you need to physically sign out on your last day/ETS date or is it just start terminal leave and seeya later? I have a residency week in NY the same week as my ETS date and I'm stationed at Campbell.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I was on terminal and didn't sign out, when I got my DD-214 it was marked SM UNAVAIL SIGN or similar.. (This was in 92/93 though)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
As long as you're signed out on terminal you should be fine. I was quite literally halfway across the country in buttfuck nowhere when my ETS date hit.

You should be able to pick up your DD-214 ahead of time.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I got my DD214, then came back after midnight to sign out on terminal because the ncoic was a dickhead.

It should all be laid out in the ets clearing paperwork that you get from batt/brigade

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Left for home on terminal. Don’t recall if I had a DD-214 in hand at the time. Didn’t have to do anything when terminal ended either.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The requirements for entry level roles are often laughable. You’re paying me how little and you want five years experience in this niche field that’s eight years old and I just graduated??? My gf was looking for work and minimum wage receptionist roles wanted like three years experience as a receptionist

I think I read on reddit that a lot of those ads means they already decided to hire someone internally, but have to make it publicly available or some such? Or nepotism idk

The position I applied for is a GS-11. It's basically a budget slash HR position.

The announcement said if you're solely using education as the criteria, it wants a PhD.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Left for home on terminal. Don’t recall if I had a DD-214 in hand at the time. Didn’t have to do anything when terminal ended either.

I was warned ahead of time that I had to be in uniform to sign out on terminal leave.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I left last year. ETS was end of July, got my DD-214 and signed out on terminal in early July. No problems.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

App13 posted:

With your veteran status I recommend looking into USGS/EPA technician positions. The starting pay is the same as private sector (crappy) but the quality of life is way higher and you have more room to grow.

thanks

I sometimes see a few jobs here and there that seem like I am qualified for (or will be next year with a degree in hand) on the usajobs. I'd like to get in around GS-5, maybe like a pathways internship or whatever. My upper-division classwork and half of my field studies are in hydrogeology and other near-surface processes so I guess I'm in one of the more marketable geo- fields of study. I guess I should write an extremely verbose resume

App13
Dec 31, 2011

GD_American posted:

The position I applied for is a GS-11. It's basically a budget slash HR position.

The announcement said if you're solely using education as the criteria, it wants a PhD.

I was warned ahead of time that I had to be in uniform to sign out on terminal leave.

Yep GS-11 is PhD land, GS-9 if you’re in a highly educated area.

At my job they just hired on 2 GS-5’s with masters degrees and a bunch of experience, a a GS-9 with her PhD and postdoc experience. It’s insane.

To put this in perspective, GS5 pays like $17/hr here and it’s a scientific research agency with fierce competition

DownByTheWooter posted:

thanks

I sometimes see a few jobs here and there that seem like I am qualified for (or will be next year with a degree in hand) on the usajobs. I'd like to get in around GS-5, maybe like a pathways internship or whatever.

Pathways internships are dope and definitely the way to go if you’re still in school. I graduate in May and already have a full time position in my dream agency thanks to completing my pathways program

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

App13 posted:

At my job they just hired on 2 GS-5’s with masters degrees and a bunch of experience, a a GS-9 with her PhD and postdoc experience. It’s insane.

To put this in perspective, GS5 pays like $17/hr here and it’s a scientific research agency with fierce competition

Pathways internships are dope and definitely the way to go if you’re still in school. I graduate in May and already have a full time position in my dream agency thanks to completing my pathways program

I've seen a lot of Pathways positions that were for recent grad or early-arc grad students, too but building resume and applying to stuff now won't hurt. I don't think I can really work until my classes are over, though. I'm just barely surviving my studies as it is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

App13 posted:

Holy poo poo. A guy I used to work with is a retired master sgt with a high school degree and he's a GS-13.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

DownByTheWooter posted:

I've seen a lot of Pathways positions that were for recent grad or early-arc grad students, too but building resume and applying to stuff now won't hurt. I don't think I can really work until my classes are over, though. I'm just barely surviving my studies as it is.

The hiring process takes about 4 months on average so I would keep that in mind when you start applying places!

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo. A guy I used to work with is a retired master sgt with a high school degree and he's a GS-13.

Yeah it’s loving insane. People just want to get into the agency and they’re willing to take a 50% pay cut to do it. Myself included

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Is he in intel or IT?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

Is he in intel or IT?

He's IT for intel.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So any tips on federal resumes or the federal application process? This poo poo is maddening, just applied to a few random positions that I should in theory qualify for but who knows if my application will ever see the light of day.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

App13 posted:

That's loving cuckoo. My agency's second career step is a 9-11, and that's with a bachelor's, maybe a master's to be more competitive. Supervisors are GS-12, still no postgrad required (but bachelor's are less competitive). GS-13 for ADMs I think is the first area that genuinely requires postgrad.

I mean, we're loving clerks. Who the gently caress is going to get a PhD to shuffle paper?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Those job requirements are often such-and-such education or some combination of education and relevant experience. Even if you don't have a graduate degree in paper shuffling, you should apply if you can demonstrate that combination of education and experience. You're likely more qualified than most other applicants, anyway.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The ARTs in our squadron are almost all 11s, and a bunch of them only have CCAF.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Here I am trying to get my foot in the door with GS7 jobs.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Anybody ever have to deal with using your security clearance after you ETS? Mine's good until 2021 I think but I ETS this year. Do they revoke that as soon as you ETS?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What kind of clearance is it? For TS, when you stop using it, it becomes inactive and expires two years after that.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I got hired as a 10 step 3 because that's the highest that they could hire :shrug:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They don't revoke it. There's different status based on when the last time you accessed material:

Active, Valid Clearance: Can be read in to material immediately [you can list your clearance on the resume]
Inactive, Valid Clearance: Requires reactivation but can then be read in to material [you can list your clearance on the resume]

If you don't access classified material within two years it becomes inactive. For the military, they start that clock at your ETS. For contractors, it's the last time you were on a classified project.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I think it also downgrades once you leave active and hit reserves /guard.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I'm talking just a basic Secret clearance and once I ETS. I'm told it expires in 2021 but I would think they revoke it once you ETS.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Syrian Lannister posted:

I think it also downgrades once you leave active and hit reserves /guard.

Not true depending on your MOS/duty position. There are a huge amount of guard & reserve w/ TS/SCI. The requirements don't change based on component, for example basically all MI MOS require TS/SCI to be MOS qualified.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I didn’t know that. I know I downgraded once I hit my reserve med labs.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Triggs posted:

I'm talking just a basic Secret clearance and once I ETS. I'm told it expires in 2021 but I would think they revoke it once you ETS.

Nope, it doesn't go away. A two year clock starts once you ETS before it falls under Inactive, Valid. Then it expires for real in 2021 unless you get someone to renew it.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Vasudus posted:

Nope, it doesn't go away. A two year clock starts once you ETS before it falls under Inactive, Valid. Then it expires for real in 2021 unless you get someone to renew it.
Does this two year clock start when I transfer to active reserves through C-WAY, or not until I'm out the Navy entirely?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It stops every time you join an org that uses the clearance. I managed to keep mine going by first going in the reserves about 8 months after my active ETS, and then with three contracting companies.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm actually curious on that clock. My SSBI was out of date in 2016 or 2017 so my TS/SCI is almost certainly gone since I didn't have a reinvestigation, but I might still have an inactive Secret depending on when that 2 year clock started. That depends if the clock started on ETS from the Guard or when my IRR time expired. Might be useful in job seeking I guess.

FWIW IRR can renew your clearance, especially if you have a job that requires it to be MOS-Q, although I was too lazy/short of time to deal with them.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Always a good time when the math prof is lazy and uses homework problems for the midterm. :smuggo:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I applied to a job at the VA last week and the position closed a few days later. Today I got categorized as "Best Qualified" and referred to the hiring manager. That seems kind of quick?

It's for a GS-5 position that is kind of general (in that it only requires experience or any 4 yr degree to qualify) and not at all related to my degree, so it's not something I'm super interested in. On the other hand it's local, better than being unemployed and also starts the clock on federal work. Is there any downside to taking a GS-5 position like this while I'm actively searching for other (higher paying and within my field) federal stuff?

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 15, 2019

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

not to be a buzz kill but I got that a bunch and then nothing. Are you using your disability status for preference? I think that automatically bumps you to “best qualified” etc

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I have 10 point/non-competitive eligibility. They're hiring 9 people for this location and I have somewhat of a direct referral to the position. Not saying it's a lock but I'd wager I have a pretty good shot.

My understanding with preference is that you're dumped into one of two pools, qualified or best qualified and that preference goes in order in each respective pool. So basically I'm competing with other 10 point preference people within the best qualified pool.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 15, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Getting your foot in the door in the Federal system might be good. I didn't have any luck myself back when I was trying to get an internship. I spent a few hours messing with my USAJobs resume, and another hour filling out application poo poo for a USGS internship. Right towards the end they asked some pointed questions that made it clear what they really wanted was somebody in an environmental sciences master's program. The description hadn't said anything about that. I punched submit anyway since I'd already wasted all that time but knew deep down I wasn't even going to get called on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

On the other hand it's local, better than being unemployed and also starts the clock on federal work. Is there any downside to taking a GS-5 position like this while I'm actively searching for other (higher paying and within my field) federal stuff?

There’s a trade off. If you’re really after a bigger grade job, then hiring in as a GS-5 is bad b/c you can only jump two grades within that agency. But, if you have bills to pay, and need to get a door in the federal system, there’s your choice.

It happened to me. Thankfully the job was a GS5-GS8, jumping a grade every year.