Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

I never played any of the Borderlands because I thought they looked realllllly ugly and the few snippets of "humour" I saw in promotional material turned me off massively

The first one is brown as gently caress but the second one did better with the environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

the second one did better with the environments.

Still got the best sea ice I've ever seen computer-generated.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Looking back on Borderlands I marvel at how I put up with such awful gun control and moonjump physics. Kind of looking forward to RAGE2 since it looks like a better Borderlands with DOOM gun gameplay and development by a studio that isn't fuckdumb.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

the sniper guy was cool but i also like playing as sniper guys

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

greetings fellow gamers, I am so hip that I use mental illness as a pejorative to put down people who enjoy their hobbies differently from me

Post smugness/av smugness combo.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I remember kinda enjoying Borderlands 1 but 2 was really boring. Maybe the novelty had worn off

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i played borderlands 1 and shooting the bad guys with guns and having their healthbars kinda fart away just immediately felt so bad, like guns aren't meant to interact with bad guys like that

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 12, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i used to kinda like borderlands 2 on the vita just for having a pretty serviceable shooter on a portable/handheld but now i have doom for the switch so i'm pretty well set there until doom 2019 comes out

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The problem with Borderlands 2 is that 90% of the guns you find in stores and general loot are just the same basic 6 weapons (pistol, shotgun, smg, rifle, sniper rifle, rocket launcher) with slightly different damage, clip size and firing rate and if you just play through the game casually that is all you will ever use.

Now if you actually look up the special weapons that bosses can drop and grind them out there are some stupidly fun weapons to be found and make the game much more enjoyable, but their drop rate is just so low.

So if anyone feels the urge to play through the game again or for the first time, look up one of the mods that drastically increases the unique weapon drop rates.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Better yet get the randomizer mod. It lets any part spawn on any gun with any stats so every gun you find is hilariously broken in some way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Borderlands is cool and good because it's targeted at people who just want to have a chill good time with friends and goes out of its way to punish tryhard idiots who love to identify themselves by complaining about drop rates

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

internet celebrity posted:

Better yet get the randomizer mod. It lets any part spawn on any gun with any stats so every gun you find is hilariously broken in some way.

This sounds like the best way to play Borderlands 2 and heck I enjoyed it start to finish solo on 360

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Borderlands is cool and good because it's targeted at people who just want to have a chill good time with friends and goes out of its way to punish tryhard idiots who love to identify themselves by complaining about drop rates

nah it sucks

Caesar Saladin posted:

i played borderlands 1 and shooting the bad guys with guns and having their healthbars kinda fart away just immediately felt so bad, like guns aren't meant to interact with bad guys like that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Borderlands series were ok unless you were a whale and grinded at top level for some reason.

Borderlands feels like an actual game instead of like a hub to connect with other people and grind, like Destiny or pretty much any other game like it. there's actually a story, a coherent path of progression you move through and it doesn't ask you to do the same content over and over. Also, the loot stuff in it is more just stupid fun than a gambling machine for people with mental problems.

Loot games suck because they miss what was actually fun in borderlands in favor of doing everything that makes MMO's suck.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 13, 2019

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Dialbo was pretty good

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are people in this thread actually missing out on how Borderlands basic gameplay loop, ie shooting people, was actually really poor? You can talk about drop rates, scaling, lack of variety etc all you want, but it's still a shooter game where the shooting sucks. Compare it to its contemporary Rage, a game that was shipped literally incomplete, for guns that where satisfying to use. (Or the Doom2 shotgun, for the gold standard)

Penny Arcade, for all their faults, said it best: A mediocre shooter bolted onto a medieval quest system.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

borderlands has a million guns and they all shoot farts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I liked how when I pulled the trigger bullets came out of the gun and killed the guys. Beyond that I don't really know what to say.

I tried Doom 2 once and it was poo poo. Nothing wrong with the guns tho.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Try Doom 2016 instead

Doom 2 is 25 years old and to say it mildly, an acquired taste

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It can be hard to get into OG Doom because of the sheer scope of its influence. Doom DNA is shot through so many games and entire genres that, in a very real sense, you have already played it.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Tumbleseed is a really, really good game, but it’s intentionally not a power fantasy and the metaprogression system doesn’t just make the game easier so of course gamers hated it.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Are people in this thread actually missing out on how Borderlands basic gameplay loop, ie shooting people, was actually really poor? You can talk about drop rates, scaling, lack of variety etc all you want, but it's still a shooter game where the shooting sucks. Compare it to its contemporary Rage, a game that was shipped literally incomplete, for guns that where satisfying to use. (Or the Doom2 shotgun, for the gold standard)

Penny Arcade, for all their faults, said it best: A mediocre shooter bolted onto a medieval quest system.

I don't know man. I liked the noises people made when you set them on various kinds of fire, and I liked making really big numbers pop out when you crit someone with a sniper rifle. I guess that makes me easy to please, but I had fun doing the shooting in Borderlands.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

I don't know man. I liked the noises people made when you set them on various kinds of fire, and I liked making really big numbers pop out when you crit someone with a sniper rifle. I guess that makes me easy to please, but I had fun doing the shooting in Borderlands.

Buh buh buh but PEMNY ARCEADE said it's BAD, dude!

e: I actually clicked on the link, fool that I am, but it was literally just talking heads so I didn't read it because I'm not that much a fool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm playing Borderlands 2 in VR with a light gun right now, and it's fun as hell.

My unpopular borderlands 2 game opinion is that it's actually pretty funny even if it lays it on a little bit thick sometimes.

Kerplunk
Oct 24, 2003
FECES!!!
Final Fantasy 7 is the most overrated game of all time and turn based RPGs in general just suck.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

It can be hard to get into OG Doom because of the sheer scope of its influence. Doom DNA is shot through so many games and entire genres that, in a very real sense, you have already played it.

there is no reason to play any other shooter than OG Doom. There are enough custom WADs and level generators out there to last a lifetime.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kerplunk posted:

Final Fantasy 7 is the most overrated game of all time and turn based RPGs in general just suck.

FF7 isnt turn based

Kerplunk
Oct 24, 2003
FECES!!!

Rutibex posted:

FF7 isnt turn based

Oh. What is it then?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Active Time Battle, every character has a cooldown and attacks when the cooldown is up

Kerplunk
Oct 24, 2003
FECES!!!
Ah, my bad. I suppose I shouldn't have said turn based combat. I guess I mean combat where you pick an action and watch it happen with no further input.

Sorry guys :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OG Doom fans are one of the weirdest fandoms out there. You aren't even the first person I've heard say that it's the only shooter worth playing.

Thanks, but I think I'll play some of the other shooters made in the last 25 years instead of playing an ancient game but with pepe and hentai mods until the end of time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kerplunk posted:

Ah, my bad. I suppose I shouldn't have said turn based combat. I guess I mean combat where you pick an action and watch it happen with no further input.

Sorry guys :(

in a way...

... all games are picking an action and watching it happen with no further input

:lsd:

Kerplunk
Oct 24, 2003
FECES!!!

The White Dragon posted:

in a way...

... all games are picking an action and watching it happen with no further input

:lsd:

I knew someone would say this and I hate you for it :colbert:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

2house2fly posted:

Active Time Battle, every character has a cooldown and attacks when the cooldown is up

This is an absurd distinction, it's turn-based.

Actual ATB would have everyone acting in accordance with their own personal cooldown and taking an action independent of others' actions (barring cutscene poo poo). Think FFXII.

FF7 and other FFs until... I guess XI was the first, are just modifications of turn-based combat wherein the turn order isn't determined by a traditional initiative roll. Instead, turn order is determined by speed and poo poo like that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

[insert 3 page derail about turn based games here]

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kerplunk posted:

I knew someone would say this and I hate you for it :colbert:

i don't mean it like that's you or your phrasing

i think we're just watching two different stations of the same game. to me that is galaxy brain poo poo because sometimes you have to think about a problem from that perspective when you program a thing

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

jokes posted:

This is an absurd distinction, it's turn-based.

Actual ATB would have everyone acting in accordance with their own personal cooldown and taking an action independent of others' actions (barring cutscene poo poo). Think FFXII.

FF7 and other FFs until... I guess XI was the first, are just modifications of turn-based combat wherein the turn order isn't determined by a traditional initiative roll. Instead, turn order is determined by speed and poo poo like that.

The monsters will keep taking action while you're at the menu if it's set to active from FF4-FF9. FFX removed ATB and went back to turns.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

The monsters will keep taking action while you're at the menu if it's set to active from FF4-FF9. FFX removed ATB and went back to turns.

That's just a further modification! It's a thing that says "if you don't decide what to do fast enough, the next person takes their turn" like a house rule in DnD.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Yeah setting it to wait or active and changing the speed in all these games is basically a difficulty slider in those FF games. What the devs basically noticed after five of these titles is that most people slapped it on wait because nobody likes getting rocked for menuing.

Ask me about getting my poo poo rocked in older FF games as a kid because I set the battle speed high and had active on so enemies could get two or more turns to ever turn I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

I'm aware that people say that but please refer back to my "they deliberately piss off tryhard idiots" comment because apparently millions of people didn't care and bought the second and third games anyway

the guns were fine you're not going to catch cooties for using cartoony guns