Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

What are enchanters like post-PoP? I understand they're always of limited usefulness in raids outside of buffs but aren't there issues with charm and CC even in group content later on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Enchanters are one of those classes you always want around, but only maybe 2-3 of them and not for their DPS. They don't really get many dps increases (at House of Thule they get extra nukes, and Prophecy of Ro they get a second DoT line) but they get a lot of stuff that makes other people around them do a lot more (mana flare (aura and regular), twin cast aura, mez, weakening, etc). Their charms eventually build the haste component directly in and can even stun the mob when it wears off. The things they can do to mobs to reduce raid damage is just incredible though.

Enchanters take a certain mindset to play past Gates of Discord, and a lot of people find they can't handle it during the dark ages of Level 70. As a raid leader, I love having the two enchanters in EoE around, but I wouldn't advocate bringing more on unless one of those two quit.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Runes are the poo poo. As a healer it's depressing seeing how poorly utilized they are in raids by enchanters who don't give a gently caress. They also have an aggro boost or decrease line that I never see them use.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Solarin posted:

Runes are the poo poo. As a healer it's depressing seeing how poorly utilized they are in raids by enchanters who don't give a gently caress. They also have an aggro boost or decrease line that I never see them use.

I remember doing rune spam rotations on tanks early into Kunark progression.

Also see a shocking lack of grouped enchanters with charm pets not using rune. Just slap a 1p shield up on yourself. It lets you have more than half a second to respond in time to not die on a pet break!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

onesixtwo posted:

I remember doing rune spam rotations on tanks early into Kunark progression.

Also see a shocking lack of grouped enchanters with charm pets not using rune. Just slap a 1p shield up on yourself. It lets you have more than half a second to respond in time to not die on a pet break!

Runes aren't needed for the bulk of the levels that enchanter charm is useful tbh.

All you need to cast is your 4 second AE stun (level 3?) and is very fast cast time, your first mez which is at level 2 and lasts 12 seconds. Assuming you don't chain fizzle, mez will land before the stun drops. Follow with a re cast of tash and then cast your charm again. The mez drops off a few seconds later.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I remember when I first played the game someone cast a rune on me at like Lv. 2 and it boggled my mind how I was suddenly invincible.

Anyway I think I'll go mage on Selo and monk on Mangler. Hopefully the exp bonus is generous enough that I can level both up before it ends and have my monk in a RotLC before kunark opens up. Can mage pets damage mobs with immunities without bane weapons like Emp and Seru?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Tomorrow's patch pushes Gnome Mountain, 20th anniversary stuff live along with tabbed chat (tabbed chat is nice if you like futzing with UIs, it has some issues but I'm starting to trust that Niente knows what he/she is doing).

8 Hour downtime starting at 3 am, odds of that impacting prime time!?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Tai posted:

Runes aren't needed for the bulk of the levels that enchanter charm is useful tbh.

All you need to cast is your 4 second AE stun (level 3?) and is very fast cast time, your first mez which is at level 2 and lasts 12 seconds. Assuming you don't chain fizzle, mez will land before the stun drops. Follow with a re cast of tash and then cast your charm again. The mez drops off a few seconds later.

Right this is all true, but the second you go exping into the Hole you better bet having a 2k hp shield helps you not get flatlined in 2 seconds because you decided to take a drink / take your hands off the keyboard for half a second at the wrong time. Can’t tell you how many times I died from literally just taking a drink of water at the wrong time during downtime. Anything you can buffer to prevent this helps.

Is it necessary in optimal play? No, but it helps give you that extra second if your healer isn’t on the ball and you just got quadded for 144s by a hasted rock golem.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Tai posted:

The level 2 mez lasts 24 seconds so it's a safe strategy but you lose time the pet could be wrecking things. After I got used to the class I liked to keep the 48 second mez as my primary memmed mez and use the 6 and 8 second PBAE stuns to handle charm. Once you get the level 53 charm you can fit a tash and charm cast in one 8 second stun.

Also using /pet sit can be really useful for charm breaks that you know are about to happen.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Does Daybreak care about plat sellers? They don’t seem to care about rule breakers but if it hurts krono sales...

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Republicans posted:

What are enchanters like post-PoP? I understand they're always of limited usefulness in raids outside of buffs but aren't there issues with charm and CC even in group content later on?

Enchanters are still an elite grouping class w/o charm. They're always the best pullers since you're not losing out on DPS or songs while they're outside camp. You can pull trains and CC instead of worrying about paci or splitting pulls. From PoP onward you get access to an increasing number of tools to make CC and pulling easier. Self rune & eldritch rune (PoP), Veil of Mindshadow (TSS), Beguiler's Directed Banishment (SoF), Beam of Slumber (Underfoot) are all incredibly good. You get a fade in SoD. The amount of control you have over mobs at the group level feels like cheat mode almost always. There are some spots where mobs are immune to everything, but it's rarely that oppressive.

The haste and clarity buff lines stay useful and you eventually get Twincast aura and and some caster buffs that cause spells to proc extra damage. But in general enchanter falls off as a buffing class, especially compared to bards. You get a couple additional disempowering debuff options with Deep Sleep in DoDH and Mental Contortion in HoT. Otherwise your offense is tash/slow/cripple plus weak dots until the 90-100 range when you get a decent nuke line. There's also a continuation of the boon of the garou/night's dark terror melee proc illusion spells, but it comes at 100+.

The issue with charm happens while leveling. You go into a new level range with very limited charm targets since you're capped at old level cap -1. Then you get the leveling charm at say 77, 82, or 87 and it's good for like one level then useless. Once you hit the cap you get the better charm, which is generally good for AA-ing. Outside of those gaps, charm recovers to an ok state by level 75/TSS at the latest. It's just never insane again like pre-70. If there are mobs around to charm, the extra damage is never bad considering how trivial it is to maintain charm and still do other stuff. It's also not hard to have a reverse charm setup going on the side while still keeping your group fed with mobs to kill.

Since you're not nuking or medding you're free to always be looking for ways to use the enchanter toolkit to do cool stuff. If you work for it you can have every group you're in running at super smooth, machine efficiency levels and it's very rewarding. There are pockets here and there where tanks can sit with 4-5 unslowed mobs hitting them and not care, in which case you lose a lot of relevance. But usually you can find a harder, faster exp spot to take advantage of stuff enc is good at.

Raids never stop being rough, though. The first enc in a raid is always super valuable, then every one added after that is something like 90% less useful than the one before. Second enc is usually fine, but playing as third or fourth enc is no fun. The occasional mes gimmick fights don't do anything to redeem it, either.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Richard Cabeza posted:

Does Daybreak care about plat sellers? They don’t seem to care about rule breakers but if it hurts krono sales...

They do care but it's generally only the extreme examples where they finally do something about it. I.e. people who are hoarding hundreds of krono. The reason why is that on their record books a krono sale is not registered as profit unless it's been used (there's a dev quote saving this somewhere). Even still, I've had hundreds of kronos on me for significant periods of time and I've never gotten in trouble for it, but I've also known people who had hundreds of them that got banned for it. I'm guessing the people who got banned were buying/selling in small amounts whereas I was just human garbage who bought hundreds at $7-8 to hold onto until the market went back up to $11 or $12 and sold them all.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
First we got a faction window, now we're getting tabbed chat.

What a world we live in.

(Also annoyed that I can't find any screenshots, I've already seen people bitching about it...I'm wondering how they hosed it up).

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

xZAOx posted:

I've already seen people bitching about it...I'm wondering how they hosed it up).

I was just online on FV. Folks were just more joking than serious. With EQ, every change “destroys my nostalgia”, even when they fix broken things.

I was claiming it was ruining my DPS.

I did not find it intrusive. Also seems to be more option when you right click on windows. I like it

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

xZAOx posted:

First we got a faction window, now we're getting tabbed chat.

What a world we live in.

(Also annoyed that I can't find any screenshots, I've already seen people bitching about it...I'm wondering how they hosed it up).

E:

If they integrated it into the title bar I wouldn't have much issue with it, but at the moment its just a bunch of wasted space and ugly.
EE: Also that's my lvl 1 character with /faint

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Krazuel posted:

If they integrated it into the title bar I wouldn't have much issue with it, but at the moment its just a bunch of wasted space and ugly.
To be fair, that wasted space is still a net gain when you think about not having other windows hidden elsewhere. Combine this with some hot /viewport action and you've got a ton of space saved!

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I mean I guess, but I don't hide windows I display lots of stuff so that I can see it on the fly, this is just a base setup getting ready for the new TLP so I don't have them named or filtered but this many chat tabs redundantly naming themselves is pretty annoying.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Pilsner, we gonna see a freshly updated ZlizUI? <3

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Krazuel posted:

E:

EE: Also that's my lvl 1 character with /faint

I mean, for EQ, that's not miserable, heh.

But yeah, the title bar then tab titles is silly. Tabbed windows shouldn't have their own chrome. I suspect (hope) once Savok updates it'll have less double chrome.

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

MrSargent posted:

I just created a Discord Server if people want to join. Made it general “EQ TLP Goons” and added a separate channel for mangler and selo’s. Link to the server is below:

https://discord.gg/6XGeKcj

It’s been a while since I set one up so let me know if I need to make changes.

The selo's chat in here is dead AF. Come join selo's goons so we can try to get an idea of how many we're gonna have running around on Saturday.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Dreaddor posted:

The selo's chat in here is dead AF. Come join selo's goons so we can try to get an idea of how many we're gonna have running around on Saturday.

Yah I'm sorry about that. Created it in case people wanted to use it but looks like most people (me included) are posting in the Mangler chat.

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

MrSargent posted:

Yah I'm sorry about that.

Nothing to be sorry about. I'm grateful that we even have a channel for selos. I just wish it was poppin as much as the mangler one seems to be.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Going to be playing a necro in Faceless on Selo, I can't think of anything amazing to box with it for a duo. Maybe shaman for malo / more dots?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Tehran 1979 posted:

Going to be playing a necro in Faceless on Selo, I can't think of anything amazing to box with it for a duo. Maybe shaman for malo / more dots?

Mage? Druid? Cleric?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

iNteg posted:

Pilsner, we gonna see a freshly updated ZlizUI? <3

Just got word today from another player that it's broken, so I'll look into it soon.

For a quick fix, try deleting the file "EQUI_ChatWindow.xml" in the \zliz directory of my UI and see if the one in the default UI works instead of the customized one from ZlizUI. I suspect that the EQUI_Animations.xml file also needs updating, however, but it's worth a shot.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Tehran 1979 posted:

Also maining a Necro and looking for a box that is as hands off as possible.

Best options to me look like:
Bard, magician, druid, cleric.

Bard as melody regen speed and track box will be amazing empowering the necro.
Mage adds the most dps with one click.
Druid for some buffs, heal and ports.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mage is especially nice for all the goodies it can summon for both you and your pet.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I feel like druid is by far the best box with necro. Regen, ports, heals, root, also dots if kiting.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Best box for a necro? None, play a better class!

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Going for Bard on Selos. Off for an entire week starting Saturday, so why not.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Great way to start on selo's... missing 1/6 weeks of the first 4 continents...

Not sure if at lvl 60 a melodybard running regen/mana + speed + AE slow/snare is a better box than just having a magician pet assist everything you are trying to hit.

While leveling however before lvl 32 the bard doesn't add terribly much though.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Got talked into playing an Enchanter because my group is all OG Test people who want to watch the world burn. One of the 2 classes in the game I've absolutely never touched and have no real idea how to use.

Gonna be fun :getin:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Enchanter is incredibly fun to play. My first time playing one was magical. There's times where you feel god-like. Saving your group by mezzing/stunning/charming your rear end off in a panic stricken frenzy after a bad pull. Stunlocking half of a zone while your AE group burns it down. It's really awesome. Plus you are always desired for groups and make good money from Clarity donations.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 14, 2019

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
^^^ I can't wait for AE groups. They always looked so awesome when I was watching from outside and not allowed in

Pilsner posted:

Just got word today from another player that it's broken, so I'll look into it soon.

For a quick fix, try deleting the file "EQUI_ChatWindow.xml" in the \zliz directory of my UI and see if the one in the default UI works instead of the customized one from ZlizUI. I suspect that the EQUI_Animations.xml file also needs updating, however, but it's worth a shot.

Seems like deleting ChatWindow is enough to get everything working even though you get the standard error message from Animations.

If you can figure out a way to completely hide the tabs so it looks like they were never added, I'll be your BFF. They're hideous. Great to see the devs are still spending their time adding poo poo nobody wanted in the first place!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

^^^ I can't wait for AE groups. They always looked so awesome when I was watching from outside and not allowed in

I'll ask you again after you've done it for a few hours heh

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

Great to see the devs are still spending their time adding poo poo nobody wanted in the first place!

Gonna have to disagree with you there Mr Trees - even though this implementation has too much chrome, every other MMO that exists has tabbed windows. EQ has needed it for a long rear end time to clean up the UI.

Just because we're all used to 500 windows doesn't mean it was ever good, lol.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I've never done aoe groups, is mage aoe potent enough for them?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
For leveling in Kunark, ehhh it's not ideal. You have one AE and it has like a 6 second recast timer. You next AE is at 60 and has nice damage but high as gently caress mana cost if you were to twist those.

Basically, I highly doubt you will get an AE spot for kunark leveling and at 60, probably only from friends or if there isn't a wizard on in your guild to fill the slots.

Tai fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 14, 2019

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I seem to recall AE groups really took off in Luclin, but that may just be because that's only when I really noticed them.

On another note, I've been checking on Venril Sathir on FV for a few weeks now, not really dedicating a super ton of time to it, basically just wishful thinking. Today I logged in right before work just to check and a friendly druid was just doing the turn-ins to VSR. We grouped up and I got my stone. It was very nice and friendly teamwork out of the blue, and I love that part of the game. I super hate weeks-long spawn camps though. I can't believe this is even after a revamp that made them not quite as bad as they used to be.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
No one is going to intentionally make an AOE group with just a mage aoe'ing but they can do it just fine. Even druids can do it fine in Luclin with gear/AA's. You wouldn't be able to consistently get into groups as either but once off peak hours are around and those picks are dwindling they'll take what they can get. Or just be in a good guild/friendly with good people (lol goons being friendly).

And yeah, guess druid is the only worthwhile thing to box with my necro. Will be able to ghetto undead charm at least, or be the king of Kod'Taz / Vxed double charming.