Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
linku?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Why did the captain of USS Stark get reprimanded and forced to retire early? It seems like he didn't really do anything wrong.

he retired to his cabin and the Stark did not take correct actions in terms of readying the ship for action in the presence of potentially hostile warplanes and generally the whole management was a big fuckup in terms of not correctly communicating information between different people in the CIC and between the CIC and other parts of the ship

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Why did the captain of USS Stark get reprimanded and forced to retire early? It seems like he didn't really do anything wrong.

To cover the higher ups' asses (including el Jefe)?

also lol at the latter's response

quote:

Iranian Prime Minister Mir Hossein Mousavi called it a "divine blessing" and reiterated the standard Iranian view that the Persian Gulf "is not a safe place for the superpowers and it is in their interest not to enter this quicksand". Iraq Foreign Ministry spokesman said Iraq would never intentionally attack any target in the Gulf unless it was Iranian, and laid the blame on Iran.

Washington used the incident to pressure Iran, which it later blamed for the whole situation. President Reagan said "We've never considered them [Iraq's military] hostile at all", and "the villain in the piece is Iran".

The Pentagon said that an Iranian helicopter had joined a Saudi Arabian vessel in rescue operations.

also double lol that the post-Saddam democratic government was forced to pay hundreds of millions in compensations to families, which seems fair until you realize how many millions of Iraqi families lost lives due to the invasion and no compensation but in the end it's more than a fair trade, they were given democracy and freedom! :911:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Big Dick Cheney posted:

In the military if something goes wrong you will get hung out to dry whether it is your fault or not*. This is especially true as far as ships are concerned; if your boat gets hurt (or run aground), you're responsible, end of story.

* For example - when I was in the service another platoon in my company had a tank flip. They had been firing on a range on Okinawa on a day with heavy rain. On the drive from the range back to the ramp a tank slipped in the mud and went off the trail; it flipped and killed one of the crew. The battalion commander was relieved of command - a career-ender - even though he was at home in the States when the accident happened.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Cessna posted:

In the military if something goes wrong you will get hung out to dry whether it is your fault or not*. This is especially true as far as ships are concerned; if your boat gets hurt (or run aground), you're responsible, end of story.

I met a guy a wedding who had just been booted out the navy for running his ship aground. He was extremely bummed out. Like, to the extent that it was not fun to talk to him.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

I've just received a stack of WW2 Admiralty booklets which (unfortunately) didn't arrive in time for my Officer Training article. There's one called 'Your Ship' which was issued to new first-time commanders of minor warships. It's packed with very :britain:-ish bon mots, guidelines on discipline, what literature to put on the wardroom shelves and discourses about the philosophy of leadership, war and humanity in general. The introduction includes this:

"Firstly, you require to realise that, once appointed in command, no matter what rank you hold, you are The Captain, which means that you are the ship - when a fender is left over the side it is your fender left over by your OOD. That when a confidential document is mislaid by a Sub-Lieutenant it is still your document, that when a seaman from your crew is seen wearing his cap flat-aback ashore, that seaman is reflecting a lack of pride in your ship, and that when you hit the tug and not the target with your first salvo, it is your deflection that is wrong."

There's also an (at the time) confidential pamphlet called 'Mutiny in the Royal Navy - Notes on Dealing with Mutiny or Massed Disobedience', which was published in August 1944, on the grounds that the Admiralty was genuinely concerned that morale would plummet once the Third Reich was defeated and, after 5+ years of war, the chaps were told that they were then heading off to Japan for the second round to fight a nation that was no direct threat to them, their family or their home.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 12, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr Enderby posted:

I met a guy a wedding who had just been booted out the navy for running his ship aground. He was extremely bummed out. Like, to the extent that it was not fun to talk to him.

Was he even invited or did he, you know..?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BalloonFish posted:

I've just received a stack of WW2 Admiralty booklets which (unfortunately) didn't arrive in time for my Officer Training article. There's one called 'Your Ship' which was issued to new first-time commanders of minor warships. It's packed with very :britain:-ish bon mots, guidelines on discipline, what literature to put on the wardroom shelves and discourses about the philosophy of leadership, war and humanity in general. The introduction includes this:

"Firstly, you require to realise that, once appointed in command, no matter what rank you hold, you are The Captain, which means that you are the ship - when a fender is left over the side it is your fender left over by your OOD. That when a confidential document is mislaid by a Sub-Lieutenant it is still your document, that when a seaman from your crew is seen wearing his cap flat-aback ashore, that seaman is reflecting a lack of pride in your ship, and that when you hit the tug and not the target with your first salvo, it is your deflection that is wrong."

There's also an (at the time) confidential pamphlet called 'Mutiny in the Royal Navy - Notes on Dealing with Mutiny or Massed Disobedience', which was published in August 1944, on the grounds that the Admiralty was genuinely concerned that morale would plummet once the Third Reich was defeated and, after 5+ years of war, the chaps were told that they were then heading off to Japan for the second round to fight a nation that was no direct threat to them, their family or their home.

Not quite the same cause but it wasn’t an empty issue. Look at what happened to the RNZN after the war.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

BalloonFish posted:

That's fascinating, I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

I have a copy of the Bluejacket's Manual (a basic training book for USN sailors) from 1940. While it doesn't contain anything as wonderful as that passage it does have a few comments that are, shall we say, representative of the attitudes of the time. I'll see if I can pick out a few later.

Edit: The first few pages of the book are in color and have depictions of navy signal flags and the national flags of other countries. Yes, Germany has a big ugly swastika; it is really glaring.

Nenonen posted:

Was he even invited or did he, you know..?

:perfect:

Cessna fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 12, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

imagine if this wedding had been 200 years ago

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BalloonFish posted:

There's one called 'Your Ship' which was issued to new first-time commanders of minor warships. It's packed with very :britain:-ish bon mots
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

somehow this is more appealing to me than if they had been major warships

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GUNS posted:

imagine if this wedding had been 200 years ago

He held me with his skinny hand.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

He held me with his skinny hand.
well he talked to YOU so obv neonen and i know nothing about this

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
content:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12131326

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BalloonFish posted:

Every time I ask if people want one of my walls-o-text about something I worry isn't really right for this thread I get told to :justpost:, so here, without any warning is:

fascinating stuff I never knew

That was great. Thanks!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

That's fascinating, I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

HEY GUNS posted:

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

somehow this is more appealing to me than if they had been major warships

I was going to go back and edit my effortpost with some extra info, but there's so much that I think it's worth picking out the most interesting/amusing parts from each chapter:

So here are extracts from "Your Ship - Notes and Advice to An Officer on Assuming His First Command". Produced and compiled under the direction of Admiral Sir Algernon Usborne Willis, KCB, DSO, Second Sea Lord, 1944

The Aim

The assumption of your first command is the greatest step that you will ever take. It carries with it not only the responsibility of a King's ship, but the power to mould or mar the characters of a large body of men. It carries with it an historic tradition of dignity and priviledge, and in return it makes demands of your skill and endurance, which have never before been asked, and which brook no failure. This book takes for granted that you have the necessary attributes of leadership and knowledge to assume that command. It tries to make your first six months easier by giving you a mould into which to pour those attributes - a mould fashioned in the foundry of many distinguished Commanding Officers.

The Command Outlook

...Firstly, you require to realise that, once appointed in command, no matter what rank you hold, you are The Captain, which means that you are the ship - when a fender is left over the side it is your fender left over by your OOD. That when a confidential document is mislaid by a Sub-Lieutenant it is still your document, that when a seaman from your crew is seen wearing his cap flat-aback ashore, that seaman is reflecting a lack of pride in your ship, and that when you hit the tug and not the target with your first salvo, it is your deflection that is wrong...

...Secondly, you require an increased conciousness of your Personal Example. Few Officers on assuming command realise to what extent their personality is mirrored in the ship. Every word which you say on the bridge is noted by the ship's company. Every word you say in the wardroom is marked by the Officers. A display of unwarranted temper on the bridge, an unjust or over-hasty reprimand, a careless piece of shiphandling, an uncloaked show of anxiety, all these incidents will be reflected by your Officers and men just as the planets reflect the light of the sun. Similarly, a disregard of danger on the bridge carries courage to every corner of the ship...

The Pitfalls

...Another temptation concerning correspondence must be dealth with by equal self-firmness. This is an early tendency to burst into official letterpress at the slightest provocation. It is due to an early excess of self-assertiveness, but it can be very aggravating to your unit staff and Senior Officers. A number of young COs imagine that the high road to promotion is paved with daily letters commencing "The following suggestion...is submitted". In nine cases out of ten all the ideas that you think of in your first six months have been tried before you joined. If, therefore, you have any inspiration for the better prosecution of the war, or the increased efficiency of your unit, it is worthwhile finding out verbally from the staff whether the idea is acceptable, or merely a discarded 'annual', before you send it in as a letter...

..Another pitfall of your early days of command is to live in the past and not in the present. If you have been a First Lieutenant there is an inclination to 'revert to type' and interfere in your own First Lieutenant's job. He will appreciate your advice on small matters of internal administration, but he will resent detailed instructions..Maybe it enhances your confidence, but it will destroy the confidence of other people...

...The final and most important temptation which confronts every Commanding Officer is the same as that which has brought so many dictators to the ground. 'Power corrupts' is a dictum which does not only apply to politics. Bernard Shaw has recently enlarged on this by stating 'Power corrupts the weak and dements the strong.' As a Commanding Officer you are an autocrat. No one in the ship can check your excesses, or point out your eccentricities; no one can question your more downright assertions; everyone must endure your temper or any other foible you may develop. You are treated with the deference and ceremony not always granted to a cabinet minister.

All this has the effect of accentuating your weaknesses, unless you watch yourself most carefully. Only some candid and regular introspection will keep you in command of yourself. The forces which turned Captain Bligh into a tyrant, though perhaps weaker, are still extant. Bligh was in many ways a good character; he was an efficient Officer and a competent seaman; he possessed great courage and powers of endurance; but he had insufficient strength of will to repress two instincts, which are normally repressed in youth. He submitted himself to unbridled temper and to sadism. The modern laws of the Navy rightly do not tolerate a practical application of the latter, but do not forget it is within your power to cause considerable mental anguish to your younger officers by a consistent tone of sarcasm and contempt, and that, after the undue strain and fatigue of command in warfare, it is quite as simply to submit to such childish teasing instinct as it is to give way to undignified temper and intolerance...in all Officers, but above all in Commanding Officers, the words Officer and Gentleman should be entirely synonymous...

...In conclusion, this chapter reproduces an extrant from a letter written by John Paul Jones to the Naval Committee of Congress in 1775, on which every Commanding Officer to-day would well base his conduct..."...he should be the soul of tact, patience, justice, firmness and charity. No meritorious act of a subordinate should escape his attention or be left to pass without its reward, if even the reward be only one word of approval. Conversely, he should not be blind to a single fault in any subordinate, though at the same time he should be quick and unfailing to distinguish error from malice, thoughtlessness from incompetency and well-meaning short-coming from heedless or stupid blunder."

Your Officers

The Relationship

...Each one of your young Officers is in his formative stage. He requires advice on almost every subject. The old system of punctilious rebuke every months and a punctilious commendation every year, does not not satisfy his needs...

...You cannot give the best advice to a man standing to attention in your cabin, but you can often give it in the wardroom in general conversation, or when dispensing hospitality in your cabin, and often without his conciously knowing it.

Delegation of Duties

...Your ultimate aim should not be indispensability, but the very opposite - to know that your Officers will automatically reflect your will without any verbal direction from you. Such a state of affairs, however, can obviously not be attained in a short time. Until then you should not be content until every Officer can achieve whatever task is set him as well as you could in similar circumstances yourself...It must be made quite clear that when you delegate, you delegate perfection...

Officers' Offences

...A study of court martial returns, and a catalogue of loggings over one year, would show that the great majority of offences committed by Officers are caused directly or indirectly by drink, by which is not meant drunkenness, but a lapse of duty or conduct through drink...as mentioned before, it is your personal example as Commanding Officer that 'calls the tune'. That you yourself may be able to drink without apparent effect is unfortunately not enough, for in all things your Officers will try to copy you. Officers have been ruined for life by getting into a habit of drinking when young, often due to the bad example set by their senior Officers...

The Training and Inspiration of Officers

...the inspiration of young Officers to the high standard of loyalty, leadership and consideration, which you already possess, and the increase of his general naval knowledge is one of your most important duties - in peace time your most important duty.

...so many young Officers misconstrue the full meaning of [Loyalty] that you should understand its true significance. Loyalty is 'two-way'. Loyalty to the Captain is not enough. It should be bestowed in equal portions on seniors and juniors. Similarly, a Commanding Officer who is disloyal to his own men - who 'passes the baby' instead of 'taking the weight' - should in justice expect an equal lack of loyalty from his junior Officers. The fact that he generally gets back a good deal more than he deserves is due to the inherent loyalty of every Naval Officer and should not blind to the real meaning of loyalty...

...Consideration is a quality which it is often most necessary to stress. Officers must be continuously reminded of their duty towards their men. Most of the evils of modern times have arisen through the upper classes expecting privilege without obligation. Such an outlook should not exist in the Navy.

Consideration must become a habit - a way of living. There are some young Officers who are so seriously concerned with their dignity that they mistake good manners for weakness and consideration for humility...

...Once again it is your own example which will set the high standard of consideration to the ship's company. To take one minor instance, as Captain you are fully entitled to order a boat at any time of the day or night, but as Captain you will not keep it waiting...

...The ever-improving standard of national education demands a higher, not a lower, standard of Officer. Two-hundred and fifty years ago a Captain could starve his men, insult his chaplain in public, desert his ship for months on end and still rise to be an Admiral and a peer, as Arthur Herbert did. Nowadays we ought to be content to devote most of our thoughts to our ship's company and to serve as a Lieutenant-Commander and a commoner.

Notes on Executive Training

The best training is unconcious. There are moments on the bridge at sea when an Officer of the Watch is not fully employed. On these occasions you can carry out or delegate a programme of pesonal training without that Officer consciously knowing that he is learning. Often an innocently sprung question concerning, say the deviation of the compass or some flag signal will give him considerable instruction. Commanding Officers sometimes complain of the boring hours they have to spend on the bridge. Training the young Officers is a cure for their ennui.

...The Officers should have access to Confidential Books and advice on which ones to read. There is, furthermore, no reason why a Commanding Officer should not extend his advice beyond the C/B chest. Every biography, every classic read helps an Officer towards an understanding of his fellow man and therefore towards command...

...When you study military history, don't read outlines on strategy or the principles of war. Read biographies, memoirs or historical novels. Luckily for us nowadays such books are extremely entertaining and it is not necessary to be a don in order to reach such authors as Guedalla, Ludwing, Zweig, Forester, Irwin, Churchill or Bryant..."

Your Men

The Relationship

John Paul Jones, who was pre-eminently a small-ship Captain, wrote of that post that a Captain should be prophet, priest and king to his men. This was no glib aphorism, but a carefully thought-out comparison. What he meant was, that the Captain is more than a mere Head-Officer. He has definite paternal and moral obligations to the ship's company...

...Men who live together in the close company of a small ship need some corporate source of inspiration, some direction symbol to look to. The abstract symbol of Ship or Service does not fulfil this instinctive need. This feeling of trust and dedication must be vested in a person, and that person should be the Captain. If, however, the Captain dissociates himself entirely from the minds of his men, each man will subconciously seek some other source of inspiration. If he's lucky it will be a good Leading Hand. If he is unlucky it will be some old three-badge cynic. In either case the ship ceases to become a community...

...There are other Captains who feel they must stoop to conquer, who live on equal terms with their wardroom and imagine they can lead with a constant display of brotherly and well-meaning familiarity. Captains who stoop are disregarding the same psychological fact as those who completely dissociate themselves. A man wants to give his trust and service to a figure right above him, and not one on his own level...

...The art of command is therefore to be the complete master, and yet complete friend of every man on board; the temporal lord and yet the spiritual brother of every rating; to be detached and yet not dissociated. The basis of this art is to know your men and be known by your men...

...it is during your ship's company talks that each and every man will get to know you best. For that reason you must look upon your talks with the crew as one of the most important things you do. The first point to realise on these occasions is that you are talking to a body of men, a number of whom are quite intelligent, and that it is the intelligent ones, and not the dull ones, who are going to criticise your speech afterwards. Therefore, while talking in simply language, you must never talk down to your men...

...An intelligent man wants both information and inspiration. For this reason the 'Silent Skipper' of last-century fiction, who in some way gained the devotion of his men by never uttering a word, will not be a success to-day. At the same time, a sailor does not want to be mustered on someone else's messdeck to hear a success of vague and long-winded discourses on nothing in particular. Neither does he enjoy false heroics or 'flannel'. Like his tot, the sailor prefers his talks neat...

...In your talks always speak of 'we' rather than 'you'. That is the best way to get rid of the 'us-forward-them-aft' complex...

...Finally, when addressing a ship's company, Be Yourself. You cannot consistently go on being someone else for the whole commission. The sailors want to be commanded by a character, not a character sketch...

The Training and Inspiration of Ratings

...Successful action is the result of superior team work faultlessly controlled. The majority of decorations won by Commanding Officers are won not in the half-hour of faultless control, but in the six months of trainign before that half-hour...

...A celebrated British General, on criticising the smartness of a Guards regiment, was met with a number of excuses and complaints from the Colonel about his men, to which the general replied: 'There are no bad regiments in the brigade of Guards, Sir. Only bad Colonels.' This remark can equally well apply to HM Ships. A Captain may handle a ship beautifully, read signals better than his yeoman and design a brilliant new gunsight, but these go for little unless he has the human creativeness to weld his men into a fighting unit...

...It is amazing how much good you can do by a personal commendation at Sunday Divisions to an Asdic or Radar rating who made an especially good contact the week before. Once these teams feel that they are enjoying your personal interest they improve hundredfold.

The Petty Officers

A constant impression must be fostered amongst the Petty Officers. They are the connecting link between the Officers and the men. At present the tendency is for them to be too close to the men and too distant from the Officers. It is your duty as Captan to rectify this tendency...

Recreation

The recreation of a ship requires as much thought as the administration. By this we do not mean recreation in the narrow sense. Nietzsche wrote, 'Women are the recreation of warriors.' The average Naval Officer thinks more in terms of landing the Rugger Team. Neither is exactly comprehensive. Recreation should cover the whole aspect of a man's leisure hours. It should be as much intellectual recreation as physical.

..Another class which should enjoy your encouragement are the 'Arts and Craftsmen.' Prizes for the best ship model, the best rug etc., do not make large holes in your exchequer, and keep dozens of ratings creatively happy for many hours...

...Leave itself deserves a few words from experience. Firstly, give all you legally can. Secondly, if prevented from granting leave see that the ship's company knows why. Thirdly, grant all-night leave if you possible can, for leave 'until midnight' is often leave broken. Fourthly, never promise leave, or even the hope of leave, until are 100 per cent certain that it can be granted. Fifthly, do all you can to make leave ashore enjoyable by arranging trips, expeditions, dances or games whenever possible. Sixthly, make getting ashore and returning aboard as simple and punctual as possible...

...Some ships are apt to be nonplussed by local conditions, but even a desert island is not without its possibilites for recreation. The Field Games of schooldays, which entail the holding and attempted capture of bases, sailing and fishing expeditions, swimming galas; all these keep a ship's company active and thinking itself of stagnating in the thick messdeck atmosphere...

[On the matter of games such as football and cricket]...The only advice to proffer here is not to join eagerly in some game at which you are hopeless, under the impression that you are being a good example. The odds are that you will cause more merriment than inspiration. By all means encourage from the touch-line, but, if you play yourself, stick to the games at which you play with at least average skill...

...At all times, but particularly in wartime, a small ship sailor's life, compared with civilian life, is one of hardship. Such hardship becomes much more bearable if he knows that his superior Officers are doing all they can to get him his mails punctually, his food well cooked, his leave and shore recreation as often as possible and his leisure on board as enjoyable as possible with radio programmes, cinema programmes, tombola, Current Affairs and reading material.

Conclusion

[Consists of historical quotes on command/leadership - such as...]

Napoleon- "If I always appear prepared it is because before entering on any undertaking I have meditated long and have foreseen what may occur. It is not genius which reveals to me what I should do: it is thought and meditation."

Wavell - "[A Commander] should have a genuine interest in, and a real knowledge of, humanity; the raw material of his trade."

Loringhoven - "The Officer must possess a thorough appreciation of technical science, but this must not mislead him into neglecting the study of men. Knowledge of men is a fundamental condition of successful leadership. Hence the study of History - above all Military History - is of the highest value. It is an inexhaustible source of consolation in the midst of the monotony which is an inevitable circumstance of service in peace time."

Colonel Henderson (on 'Stonewall' Jackson) - "His supervision was constant but his interference was rare."

Education Militaire - "Everything is preferable to injustice. It is better of let a guilty man escape than to risk punishing an innocent one."

===ENDS===

I also now have copies of:

'Officer's Aide Memoire' - written and compiled by the C/O of HMS King Alfred in 1943 and distributed to departing RNVR officers.

'Notes for Medical Officers on Entry into the Royal Navy'

and the aforementioned 'Mutiny in the Royal Navy'.

I'll pick out any enjoyable/interesting extracts from those too as I read them.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 12, 2019

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It seems kind of odd that they name-check an American naval officer so much, no matter how respected that officer is.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Gnoman posted:

It seems kind of odd that they name-check an American naval officer so much, no matter how respected that officer is.
I have thought for a while that in some cases there is nobody who respects you like your opponent does. You could argue that in order to fight someone you have to have an unusually close kind of empathy with them, since you're trying to predict their decisions.

In the most famous case where an army didn't do that--Nazi Germany taught that every non Aryan was subhuman and Germans were superior to all other Aryans--they lost horribly

So you could argue that for a really weird definition of close, there are few people as close to the American navy in that war as the British navy

i'm thinking out loud here and i am fully aware that once again i may be pulling things out of my rear end

also the forums might be about to die again so we should donate money to Lowtax (or talk to him about getting on a cheaper host or somethiing? idk)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

I have thought for a while that in some cases there is nobody who respects you like your opponent does. You could argue that in order to fight someone you have to have an unusually close kind of empathy with them, since you're trying to predict their decisions.

In the most famous case where an army didn't do that--Nazi Germany taught that every non Aryan was subhuman and Germans were superior to all other Aryans--they lost horribly

So you could argue that for a really weird definition of close, there are few people as close to the American navy in that war as the British navy

i'm thinking out loud here and i am fully aware that once again i may be pulling things out of my rear end

also the forums might be about to die again so we should donate money to Lowtax (or talk to him about getting on a cheaper host or somethiing? idk)

Is there a thread about this?

Also is this why the corgi avatars

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884338

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

i heard it in religionthread, I have no idea. i never go anywhere except a/t unless asked

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884184&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post493257410

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Did...obama not fix this :smith:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of which, he has a Patreon. A big issue for him is getting a consistent, predictable income that he can budget with.

https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

Goons are awesome by the way. It was at just over $1k/month earlier today.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Things i'm interested in: military organizations, statistics

https://twitter.com/RealTimeWWII/status/1105168271756558336

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

serioustalk it depends on Lowtax's income and especially on the state he lives in. Lots of red state governors blocked some elements of Obamacare--except Kentucky where it's been overwhelmingly popular under a name that never mentions the word "Obama".

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Missouri I think.

Also it seems his spine hosed him, then the hospital hosed him and then his insurance went lol nope, hence crippling debt. Also requires ongoing (expensive) medication to treat partial paralysis in his hand. That's what I got from the thread anyway.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Carth Dookie posted:

Missouri I think.

Also it seems his spine hosed him, then the hospital hosed him and then his insurance went lol nope, hence crippling debt. Also requires ongoing (expensive) medication to treat partial paralysis in his hand. That's what I got from the thread anyway.

Basically, yeah :(

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Carth Dookie posted:

Missouri I think.
Ooooooof. And people wonder why red states are emptying out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zorak of Michigan posted:

You beautiful bastard, you.

My tally ended up at 26. I don't even care about the Seleucid Empire !

That should still be taught in service academies.

Gnoman posted:

Along with everything else said, which is spot on, JPJ provides a towering example of preparation, inspiration, and pure bloody mindedness that few captains ever met. Captain Pearson aboard the Serapis was no slouch, he had a crew that would stand up to as much as JPG's, and he was the only captain to bring him to battle after many fruitless cruises.

THis isn't as bad an article as they have it flagged,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Flamborough_Head

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

mllaneza posted:

But it relies on primary sources! We have no business looking at primary sources!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

But it relies on primary sources! We have no business looking at primary sources!
p sure wikipedia won't let me talk about my own research because then i would be quoting myself :actually:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

mllaneza posted:

Along with everything else said, which is spot on, JPJ provides a towering example of preparation, inspiration, and pure bloody mindedness that few captains ever met. Captain Pearson aboard the Serapis was no slouch, he had a crew that would stand up to as much as JPG's, and he was the only captain to bring him to battle after many fruitless cruises.

Sure, although I'd argue that both Barney and Rathbun were better captains than Jones. It just seems odd to me that they were lionizing a foreign hero instead of some RN captain of similar renown.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

p sure wikipedia won't let me talk about my own research because then i would be quoting myself :actually:

In Isaac Asimov's book, Foundation, which takes place in the distant future in space, he's got this scene where one of the main characters meets with this Imperial nobleman who's also an archaeologist, and as part of the conversation, the nobleman mentions that he's interested in the "Origin question"....what star contained man's original home planet, and the conversation goes like this (He makes the nobleman speak like Elmer Fudd, so I've edited it so he doesn't)

quote:

"Lameth, you must know," continued the chancellor, politically, "presents a new and most interesting addition to my previous knowledge of the 'Origin Question.'"

"Which question?" asked Hardin.

"The 'Origin Question.' The place of the origin of the human species, y'know. Ssurely you must know that it is thought that originally the human race occupied only one planetary system."

"Well, yes, I know that."

"Of course, no one knows exactly which system it is - lost in the mists of antiquity. There are theories, however. Sirius, some say. Others insist on Alpha Centauri, or on Sol, or on 61 Cygni - all in the Sirius sector, you see."

"And what does Lameth say?"

"Well, he goes off along a new trail completely. He tries to show that archaeological remains on the third planet of the Arcturian System show that humanity existed there before there was any indications of space-travel."

"And that means it was humanity's birth planet?"

"Perhaps. I must read it closely and weigh the evidence before I can say fore certain. One must see just how reliable his observations are."

Hardin remained silent for a short while. Then he said, "When did Lameth write his book?"

"Oh - I should say about eight hundred yeahs ago. Of course, he has based it largely on the previous work of Gleen."

"Then why rely on him? Why not go to Arcturus and study the remains for yourself?"

Lord Dorwin raised his eyebrows and took a pinch of snuff hurriedly. "Why, whatever for, my dear fellow?"

"To get the information firsthand, of course."

"But where's the necessity? It seems an uncommonly roundabout and hopelessly rigmarolish method of getting anywhere. Look here, now, I've got the works of all the old masters - the great archaeologists of the past. I weigh them against each other - balance the disagreements - analyze the conflicting statements - decide which is probably correct - and come to a conclusion. That is the scientific method. At least" - patronizingly -"as I see it. How insufferably crude it would be to go to Arcturus, or to Sol, for instance, and blunder about, when the old masters have covered the ground so much more effectually than we could possibly hope to do."

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
You can delegate authority but not responsibility is the phrase I’ve often heard used regarding command. The commander is responsible for establishing the “climate”; what is the right thing to do and how do you do it. Yes I think that can lead to some unreasonable firings (Cessnas example) but I think it highlights the burden of command.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Revolutions podcast just finished its Mexico, and it felt weirdly positive all things considered. Most of the important cast of characters ended up getting assassinated in the end, but Zapata's people got some of their demands, and the federal government at least got a semblance of democracy. Granted, there's still rebellions, and much of Mexico's modern problems come from powerful militarized criminals that Mike Duncan didn't address, but still better than the Haiti epilogue.

It's real weird how following a historical story, you follow narratives and characters around through ups and downs, and then eventually you hit the point where everybody retires, the next generation takes over, and then they make all the big famous people from yesteryear into legends, and the legends can all reconcile in death, mortal enemies side by side.

Nebakenezzer posted:

There were a lot of compromises in the healthcare bill, and the idea was that if they just plugged some holes and extended the safety net a bit more, some good momentum would build up, but it's been real rocky. Hard enough just to stay afloat when the new administration tried to sink it, really.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Basically Obama first went to the insurance companies and got their list of demands, figuring that it included what they wanted they'd support it.

Instead they asked for everything they wanted, then fought it anyway.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Basically Obama first went to the insurance companies and got their list of demands, figuring that it included what they wanted they'd support it.

Instead they asked for everything they wanted, then fought it anyway.

When it became clear that the Republicans were going to oppose him no matter what, he invited them to a screening of the movie Lincoln at the Whitehouse. Hoping that after watching the movie they would see how much more they could accomplish by working together.

No Republicans came.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gnoman posted:

v0v perhaps that particular officer writing the pamphlet happened to be a fanboy. It happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

v0v perhaps that particular officer writing the pamphlet happened to be a fanboy. It happens.