Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That version has no weapon master mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phantasium posted:

That version has no weapon master mode.

I don't think any version of Soul Calibur 1 had a weapon master mode

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I don't think any version of Soul Calibur 1 had a weapon master mode

Sorry, it was called Missions Mode, the XBL release was still missing it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Skwirl posted:

I did, and sadly it wasn't enough.

Queue my annual Sony PS2 toy story rendering bullshit rant about killing the Dreamcast

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Impulse bid on an original Xbox and won. Now I'm oddly excited about it! I wasn't even thinking about picking one up, but the second controller was one of these so I had no choice:

I'm putting together a game wishlist and so far all these titles are far cheaper than I was expecting. I'll probably wind up spending more on a good component or scart cable than my ten favorite games.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Impulse bid on an original Xbox and won. Now I'm oddly excited about it! I wasn't even thinking about picking one up, but the second controller was one of these so I had no choice:

I'm putting together a game wishlist and so far all these titles are far cheaper than I was expecting. I'll probably wind up spending more on a good component or scart cable than my ten favorite games.

make sure you snip the capacitor at some point so it doesn't die http://myoriginalxbox.weebly.com/capacitor-removal.html

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

absolutely anything posted:

make sure you snip the capacitor at some point so it doesn't die http://myoriginalxbox.weebly.com/capacitor-removal.html
Thanks, that'll be one of the first things I do! It'll give me a chance to clean out any dust and make sure it isn't a bug graveyard.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Are you going to mod it? You can install a much larger hard drive with only a soft mod. There was a lot of cool stuff you could do with a modded Xbox.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Now you need the translucent green Devkit or Mountain Dew special edition console to match.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Keep in mind that any Gamestop used bin ps2/Xbox component cable combo will be fine for use. The one I use with my original Xbox is some horrible plasticy green thing from MadCatz and the picture is perfect.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

If you had asked I probably could have dug up the one you sold me back in 2005 or whatever :v:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I'm keen on knowing the pros and cons of going Raspberry Pi vs. SNES Mini. Is there a general consensus?

My first console ever was a PS1 so I feel like I missed out on all the Nintendo stuff as a kid so kind of want to give it a shot and see if I like it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The SNES Mini is legal and works fine out if the box, the raspberry pi is neither

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Red_Fred posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I'm keen on knowing the pros and cons of going Raspberry Pi vs. SNES Mini. Is there a general consensus?

My first console ever was a PS1 so I feel like I missed out on all the Nintendo stuff as a kid so kind of want to give it a shot and see if I like it.

If you wanted to tinker, (and by god you will be tinkering if you go for a Pi) then a Pi setup can be fun (can being the keyword). SNES Mini you just plug in and have a bunch of pretty good SNES games ready to go and later on if you want to tinker with that you can hack it if you want.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you wanted to tinker, (and by god you will be tinkering if you go for a Pi) then a Pi setup can be fun (can being the keyword). SNES Mini you just plug in and have a bunch of pretty good SNES games ready to go and later on if you want to tinker with that you can hack it if you want.

What are the hack options like for the SNSS mini? Also are the controllers OK?

Finally: I don’t actually have a TV so would the SNES mini work into a monitor?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I haven't used one personally but I don't think I saw anyone complaining at all. Hackchi allows you to do quite a bit.

Also it just outputs HDMI so you should be fine there.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Rutibex posted:

Are you going to mod it? You can install a much larger hard drive with only a soft mod. There was a lot of cool stuff you could do with a modded Xbox.
At some point, definitely. A bigger hard drive would be great to lessen the wear on the DVD drive and speed up load times. Since I plan to own all my favorite games I might even make legitimate backups for the first time in my life, which will be a novelty in itself.

fishmech posted:

Keep in mind that any Gamestop used bin ps2/Xbox component cable combo will be fine for use. The one I use with my original Xbox is some horrible plasticy green thing from MadCatz and the picture is perfect.
Good to hear, thanks! Reading up on the GameCube probably threw off my expectations for good component cables.

The Milkman posted:

If you had asked I probably could have dug up the one you sold me back in 2005 or whatever :v:
Haha, that would have been amazing. If I sold you my old games too I'd definitely be interested. Heck, I might have even sold you my GC or PS2.

My problem is that every time a new generation of consoles comes along I think, "I'll never want to play this old thing again!" and of course I do.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

rdbbb posted:

also also, native-res game boy games would look absurdly tiny on a micro

they'd display significantly smaller than the drat cartridge art, by my reckoning.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Red_Fred posted:

Don't get the Raspberry Pi, it's a pain in the rear end to set up. Go with an Android TV box, they are already set up to work on your TV straight out of the box. All you have to do is go to the Google play store and download one of the dozens of SNES emulators.

Advantages over the SNES mini:

-Wireless controllers
-Plays all SNES games (including Rom hacks and randomized games)
-Save states
-Fast Forward/Rewind
-Mapable Turbo buttons
-Plays other games without hacking
-Does other stuff like play videos/youtube/music

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 13, 2019

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Both are cheap, could always get the mini and expand from there.

I think there's a lot of value in plug n play + functional GUI. Even in a finite # of solid games isn't a bad thing so you're not overwhelmed by choices.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Don't get the Raspberry Pi, it's a pain in the rear end to set up.

No matter what people have to say about getting a Pi around emulation accuracy or the nostalgia value of having a tiny plastic SNES sitting on your coffee table, this is just baffling to me because literally all you need to do with the Pi is:
1) flash RetroPie to an SD card
2) shove the SD card into the Pi
3) shove the Pi into a snap-together case
4) plug it in and turn it on

Emulation Station will just magically recognise 90% of controllers out of the box and once you've connected your Pi to wifi you can just drag and drop ROMs into it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The point of that article being posted was not to tout the benefits of the raspberry pi.

Is there something special about the green one?(other than that it looks cool)

I have one of these too, picked up from the thrift store, and it’s my go-to controller when I’m playing Xbox games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zand posted:

what type of additional features did those gbc games have on a gba? ive never heard of this

Zelda Ages/Seasons let you access a shop that has an exclusive ring that exists purely to piss off completionists.

Shantae loads a different palette that's optimised for the OG GBA screen, and also lets you buy an exclusive game-breaking transformation.

There's another Wayforward game called Wendy: Every Witch Way that has a few end-game levels that are only playable on GBA.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Red_Fred posted:

Were you the type of rear end in a top hat who loudly brags about how you don’t even own a TV?

If so, a Pi might be a good fit for your needs.

E:

Red_Fred posted:

What are the hack options like for the SNSS mini? Also are the controllers OK?

Finally: I don’t actually have a TV so would the SNES mini work into a monitor?

Ahahahhahahahaha didn’t see this

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 13, 2019

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Zelda Ages/Seasons let you access a shop that has an exclusive ring that exists purely to piss off completionists.

Shantae loads a different palette that's optimised for the OG GBA screen, and also lets you buy an exclusive game-breaking transformation.

There's another Wayforward game called Wendy: Every Witch Way that has a few end-game levels that are only playable on GBA.

I thought this would be more like some of the unique super game boy stuff, where they can use the snes sound and other stuff... this stuff just seems like it's punishing people for not having a gba

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

No matter what people have to say about getting a Pi around emulation accuracy or the nostalgia value of having a tiny plastic SNES sitting on your coffee table, this is just baffling to me because literally all you need to do with the Pi is:
1) flash RetroPie to an SD card
2) shove the SD card into the Pi
3) shove the Pi into a snap-together case
4) plug it in and turn it on

Emulation Station will just magically recognise 90% of controllers out of the box and once you've connected your Pi to wifi you can just drag and drop ROMs into it.

I thought this was how it was supposed to work, but it wasn't my experience. Step 1 took me a few days because I had to find the correct image and install it using a specific tool (IIRC). It kept getting messed up when installing the image and I forgot what I did to figure it out. When I finally got it working, the Pi was running slow as poo poo. I could barely get SMW:1 working at 1:1 speed. Turns out there was some config stuff I needed to tweak and at that point I got so frustrated I sold the thing.

The SNES mini is so much easier. It's harder to find nowadays but if you can get your hands on one at a reasonable price (MSRP) it's totally worth it over the Pi, especially since you get two very accurate SNES controllers. The length sucks, but you can buy 6 foot extensions for <$10 (<$5 if you can wait a month from Aliexpress).

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The coolest thing about the SNES mini imo is getting two brand new, Nintendo made SNES controllers. So much better than using some Bluetooth trash.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

The coolest thing about the SNES mini imo is getting two brand new, Nintendo made SNES controllers. So much better than using some Bluetooth trash.

8bitdo's stuff is pretty loving nice, fwiw. Love my SN30 and I'm really tempted to grab the 6 button M30. Both work with the Switch too.

Speaking of the Switch, a lot of this Raspberry Pi talk makes so little sense to me when just running RetroArch on a semi-decent laptop will get you just about anything retro you could possibly want, with some portability *and* HDMI out to a TV. My laptop is basically a Switch that emulates everything up to around PS2/DC effortlessly, with bonus access to my Steam account. If you're not going to use original hardware all of these other emulation box solutions just feel like novelties to me.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Bank posted:

I thought this was how it was supposed to work, but it wasn't my experience. Step 1 took me a few days because I had to find the correct image and install it using a specific tool (IIRC). It kept getting messed up when installing the image and I forgot what I did to figure it out. When I finally got it working, the Pi was running slow as poo poo. I could barely get SMW:1 working at 1:1 speed. Turns out there was some config stuff I needed to tweak and at that point I got so frustrated I sold the thing.

Odd. Were you using an actual pi or a pi compatible clone thing?

I think the worst part about it is the fact that all of this poo poo has Retroarch underneath and without a doubt you'll have to tweak a config thing somewhere and their menu, GUI, documentation are all literally the worst.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Retro Fighters is on the last day for their Dreamcast controller on Kickstarter. I was really impressed with the Brawler 64, so I went for it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

Odd. Were you using an actual pi or a pi compatible clone thing?

I think the worst part about it is the fact that all of this poo poo has Retroarch underneath and without a doubt you'll have to tweak a config thing somewhere and their menu, GUI, documentation are all literally the worst.

Retroarch is horrible trash, and I can understand why people get upset in this thread when anyone mentions emulating on a raspberry pi. There is a version of Retroarch for android and I tried to make it work for half a day before giving up in frustration!

But Android has many other options. I use an emulator front-end called DIG. It sorts all of my roms, downloads cover art automatically, and gives me detailed descriptions of each game. It was 100x easier to set up than Retroarch. I didn't even need to tell it where the roms were it somehow found them all on it's own. Even better you can use DIG to sort roms by various categories. So if you want to see all the fighting games for SNES, or JRPGs, or puzzle games for Gamegear in you collection it will list them. I have found a bunch of cool old game I never knew about thanks to DIG!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...TL-vqjwSfnIWgDg

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Anyone ordered and received an SD2SNES Pro yet? Turns out shipping from Poland is slow!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Phone posted:

Were you the type of rear end in a top hat who loudly brags about how you don’t even own a TV?

If so, a Pi might be a good fit for your needs.

E:

Ahahahhahahahaha didn’t see this

What a strange post.

Thanks everyone else. Looks like the SNES Mini is the way to go, I can’t be bothered janitoring my stuff at this point.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Red_Fred posted:

What a strange post.

Thanks everyone else. Looks like the SNES Mini is the way to go, I can’t be bothered janitoring my stuff at this point.

I quoted the first part without realizing that you had posted again 5 posts later with the info that you have a monitor. It was a dumb jab at the “setting up a raspberry pi is so easy, you only need to consult 4 wikis and 2 message boards and 3 pastebins” crowd.

For reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCumH8LRo1A

Dezmancer
Jul 30, 2018
Does anyone have experience with CRTs, getting true RGB, and all of that on old consoles? I've done a bit of reading on all the stuff you have to do (SCART, transcoding boxes, etc) in order to get the 'best image' on old consoles for US-NTSC equipment, but I'm wondering if going through the trouble of buying all these parts is worth it if I'm only going to play on a consumer grade SDTV (vs one of those professional RGB monitors that are all the rage with retro videophiles).

Case in point, I've got a Sega Saturn and Retro Duo that can hook up to 14" Toshiba CRT with s-video and don't know if the boost in quality would be worth the investment on this TV.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Just about any CRT that can accept an RGB input signal will look really nice. PVMs are popular since they're the professional models with BNC RGB connectors on the back for people (like me) who hate SCART.

You can also mod a lot of CRTs for RGB by tapping into the on-screen display circuitry which is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Vjc8ANSv8

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=56155

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rutibex posted:

But Android has many other options. I use an emulator front-end called DIG. It sorts all of my roms, downloads cover art automatically, and gives me detailed descriptions of each game. It was 100x easier to set up than Retroarch, I didn't even need to tell it where the roms were it somehow found them all on it's own. Even better you can use DIG to sort roms by various categories. So if you want to see all the fighting games for SNES, or JRPGs, or puzzle games for Gamegear in you collection it will list them. I have found a bunch of cool old game I never knew about thanks to DIG!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...TL-vqjwSfnIWgDg

This looks great, thank you! :D

Speaking of the Pi though, I do have a lot of fun tinkering with it and all the literal granule stuff like how you can some specific games look better running at 7:8 instead of 3:4 or comparing what's technically more "accurate" to "these colors are closer to how it was on my small lovely TV as a kid." But as I'm getting into playing fighting and action games more again the lag is of course a real turnoff. Between my wife and I we have plenty of actual old games and pretty much every single one either of us would want to play, but space-wise just having a few small emulator boxes setup is such a great space saver compared to increasingly tinkering with/the $$$ to maintain the old hardware. I don't know, we even talk about just selling all of it off sometimes since we have a lot of complete good stuff we never really play anymore.

With that in mind, I know anything that isn't the real thing is going to have some lag, but is running roms on an SNES mini an improvement? Or hacking a Wii U? We were just talking about how we haven't even plugged the Wii U in for like four years so that could be fun to mess with. I notice at one point it was hackable by literally just directing its browser to a site to get an "update" and downloading stuff/emulators/whatever, is that still a thing?

The biggest pain with the documentation for Retroarch/the Raspberry Pi/Emulation Station station is finding out where it expects poo poo to be and where to find and place your poo poo on it which you'd think would be such a 101-level thing to have clearly set up in documentation. Like once you find that out everything else is simple to look up and makes way more sense, but when I was learning it like 90% of the time I'd find that out by Googling and finding a message board post from a few years prior. You can absolutely get it to the point where it's super smooth and you just drag and drop stuff and it feels pretty streamlined and looks great but you definitely have to go into it with the mindset that will take some time to set up the way you want and it will never be "done." We love ours but I can't imagine it being a good choice for someone if the tinkering part has no appeal.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can modify a TV get true RGB-in; however, it’s not particularly a plug and play situation.

There’s nothing wrong with playing old consoles via s-video on a consumer TV, it looks good even if you don’t have the crispiest of crisp colors and thick scanlines.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

What a strange post.

FWIW too the SNES Mini is super easy to add new games onto it. The community support is excellent. It's a shame it doesn't look like they are being made anymore, but it looks like there are some really good fakes out there running Canoe (the emulator running on the SNES Mini); some even higher spec'd ones.

I used to be a huge tinkerer with PCs and poo poo, but after the Raspberry Pi I hate it now. I had the RPi 3 so it should have run SNES stuff well, but I failed miserably. I'd never do it again. Just thinking about it is giving me a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezmancer
Jul 30, 2018

Neo Rasa posted:

The biggest pain with the documentation for Retroarch/the Raspberry Pi/Emulation Station station is finding out where it expects poo poo to be and where to find and place your poo poo on it which you'd think would be such a 101-level thing to have clearly set up in documentation. Like once you find that out everything else is simple to look up and makes way more sense, but when I was learning it like 90% of the time I'd find that out by Googling and finding a message board post from a few years prior. You can absolutely get it to the point where it's super smooth and you just drag and drop stuff and it feels pretty streamlined and looks great but you definitely have to go into it with the mindset that will take some time to set up the way you want and it will never be "done." We love ours but I can't imagine it being a good choice for someone if the tinkering part has no appeal.

I'd also add that trying to swap out multiple controllers on RetroArch is a nightmare on retroarch desktop, or at least it has been for me. In theory, I should be able to set up individual controller profiles for my 8bitdo, Mayflash-connected Saturn Controller, Xbox360 controller, and fight sticks so that retroarch instantly recognizes them as configures them to the setups I like per console core and per game if I've specified it as such.

Instead, the second I set up one controller on it everything else is immediately wiped. Troubleshooting this was hard as hell and ultimately lead me to a lot of forum posts with people who experienced similar problems and eventually petered out. The best way I was able to get what I wanted was to have to uninstall a bunch of drivers and make sure steam was turned off (It seems like steam's xinput wrappers for the Xbox 360 were causing problems) and I got it a reasonable facsimile of what I wanted, but there was still more tweaking to be done before I just lost motivation.

Even then though, I've got to keep using steam with some of the same controllers, so I expect the problem would just rise again eventually. I feel like it's really hard for Retroarch to play nice with other programs (or vice versa) on a multi-use machine. This might be easier on something dedicated like a raspberry pi machine. I got one for xmas so I plan to set it up and see how it works when I feel like tackling another project, see if the multiple controllers work any better there.