Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

glowing-fish posted:

I mean, these teenagers had parents with the resources to buy them special lessons, SAT coaching, "editing" for personal essays, personal experiences, all the things that normally help perpetuate wealthy children getting into "elite" universities, and yet they had to...resort to outright, 7 figure bribery? Those are either really dumb kids or really insecure parents.
It's really dumb kids.
https://twitter.com/Ceilidhann/status/1105522389629259776?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is much easier to pay more money than it is to get your idiot kid to do any kind of real work.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

What is sad about this, is that probably a lot of these kids have legitimate learning disabilities, and instead of just admitting that, which is nothing to be ashamed of, the parents decided to spend a million dollars to pretend they are soccer players?

Like most teenagers are not stupid, and very few are lazy. Laziness is the last of most teenagers' problems. Most teenagers are just lazy about things they don't want to do. So if you have a 16 year old who only wants to paint, and you have the resources, get a diagnosis of dyslexia, and hire them a painting tutor.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 12, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I'm really dumb because I thought the funny part was the kid's handwriting.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh man, Deadspin has a bigger collection of simply hilarious details from this investigation.

https://deadspin.com/here-are-all-the-incredible-details-from-the-college-ad-1833236579

The most remarkable part to me is how cavalier and up-front everyone seems to be in doing their crimes. Like, they're literally just putting it all into emails and calls with absolutely no concern.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Oh man, Deadspin has a bigger collection of simply hilarious details from this investigation.

https://deadspin.com/here-are-all-the-incredible-details-from-the-college-ad-1833236579

The most remarkable part to me is how cavalier and up-front everyone seems to be in doing their crimes. Like, they're literally just putting it all into emails and calls with absolutely no concern.

It's cause rich people have literally always bribed their kids into big universities. Genuinely for the last thousand years. Thats just they ways it's always worked.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's generally an awareness among people who do illegal things of what things are actually enforced (and who they are normally enforced upon), this appears to be the FBI deciding to enforce some stuff that normally is completely, 100% unenforced.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's generally an awareness among people who do illegal things of what things are actually enforced (and who they are normally enforced upon), this appears to be the FBI deciding to enforce some stuff that normally is completely, 100% unenforced.

Apparently the FBI wasn't even looking for this sort of thing but stumbled across it in the course of another investigation. I imagine the entire field office got into a fight over who got to take the easy case.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Apparently the FBI wasn't even looking for this sort of thing but stumbled across it in the course of another investigation. I imagine the entire field office got into a fight over who got to take the easy case.
I guess when they accidentally come across something this blatant they have to pursue it even if it's rich people.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Shifty Pony posted:

This is what the investigation looks like for the FBI:

This also makes me wonder what the investigation that led to this was...

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Is this better or worse than claiming to have bone spurs?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sticksy posted:

Is this better or worse than claiming to have bone spurs?

If we're still alive in fifty years we may find out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Even by general white, white collar criminals are completely garbage at covering up their crimes standards, this one really seems to take the cake

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Reading a longer story about it, it makes sense why the did it, in fact part of the article actually outlines why they took this route:

Basically, "the back door is through institutional advancement", but that means you have to spend a lot of money, and the results are uncertain. The reason they did this was because it was a direct quid pro quo.

That also leads back to the issues of how just this entire operation was, and who it was targeting. There are probably people with old money and lots of connections who just know how to "knows a guy who knows a guy" their children into "elite" universities, and have probably been planning for this since their kids were in preschool. The people who are caught up in this might be nouveau rich who don't have quite the same indirect resources, and so had to resort to more direct bribery.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

Reading a longer story about it, it makes sense why the did it, in fact part of the article actually outlines why they took this route:

Basically, "the back door is through institutional advancement", but that means you have to spend a lot of money, and the results are uncertain. The reason they did this was because it was a direct quid pro quo.

That also leads back to the issues of how just this entire operation was, and who it was targeting. There are probably people with old money and lots of connections who just know how to "knows a guy who knows a guy" their children into "elite" universities, and have probably been planning for this since their kids were in preschool. The people who are caught up in this might be nouveau rich who don't have quite the same indirect resources, and so had to resort to more direct bribery.

Most of your speculation would've been true 20 or 30 years ago, idk how true it is now.

Interestingly, the traditional 'back-door' as he describes used to be a pretty much certain thing, but starting about 15-20 years ago schools started rejecting kids even after parents had made donations in the tens (and I think in a few cases hundreds, possibly) of millions of dollars. Obviously parents were completely loving livid, but it was a time when the Ivys were particularly able to be selective and rejecting like 1/10 billionaires kids let them pretend to still be independent and not cravenly out for cash

It was lowkey a really big deal that donations stopped being a guarantee of admittance, so it makes perfect sense that these services were springing up, also 500,000 to get a kid into a school is a pittance compared to the probably 7 figures to even get you noticed as a donor wanting to get a kid in and 8 figures if you want to really give them a good chance of getting in.

That said, donating money was always suggested as a part of getting kids into good schools, and like all bribes in the American system of bribery, doesn't even come with the promise of a result.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How do you guys think a certain Donald Trump, POTUS, managed to transfer from Fordham U. into U. Penn/Wharton, and why do you think they had Michael Cohen make a big deal to threaten Fordham not to reveal his transcripts?

I'd be surprised if Trumpy was even close to a B student.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Zwabu posted:

How do you guys think a certain Donald Trump, POTUS, managed to transfer from Fordham U. into U. Penn/Wharton, and why do you think they had Michael Cohen make a big deal to threaten Fordham not to reveal his transcripts?

Actually, a Trump family friend got a job as a UPenn admissions officer and slipped him in. He undoubtedly was such a poo poo student that even money along wouldn't have been enough.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zwabu posted:

I think his brand is such that even if he was a B+ student anything less than A+++ might imply he's not the self-made business prodigy he's selling himself as.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Despair inducing

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1105607173361618945

Nice, but even if it got through the senate it would be vetoed

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1105621997520912384

The Overton window is moving

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1105575329442267136

To the surprise of no one, Stone has always been poo poo

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1105621249638711296

How is Don jr. so fantastically stupid? It boggles the mind, especially since he isn't a senile old man riddled with dementia like his dad.

https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/1105593724229378048

Statehood for PR now!

https://twitter.com/EmmaVigeland/status/1105485894100942848

Take that Pence!

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1105619991838294019

Mars panorama

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1105619496759365632

Get ready for Pleistocene park!

https://twitter.com/hurst_sj/status/1105425803863646208

Rot in hell

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1105622928962609153

AOC vs Wells Fargo

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1105559308211798020

Pre-existing conditions

https://twitter.com/CAPAction/status/1105561289617825792

We're boned

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1105524843628412929

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Did the judge say that other than this, the convicted led an exemplary life in this case too?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pay careful attention to the banks language here. Particularly the distinction between "Owner" and "Operator" in a lot of transportation (and pipelines are) things don't work like one would normally expect with regards to liabilities. One would need to dig into the CFRs to get the specfics for different modes.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Boeing is going to be hammered by lawsuits

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2019/03/12/boeing-737-max-8-pilots-complained-feds-months-suspected-safety-flaw

quote:

Pilots repeatedly voiced safety concerns about the Boeing 737 Max 8 to federal authorities, with one captain calling the flight manual "inadequate and almost criminally insufficient" several months before Sunday's Ethiopian Air crash that killed 157 people, an investigation by The Dallas Morning News found.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The real mystery is why the gently caress the FAA hasn't grounded the drat thing yet. Even Ted Cruz is calling for an investigation.

boeing practically bribed Trump and an ex executive is running the FAA

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Northrop Boeing, here we come huh

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

To think Boeing would go the way of Pan-Am this soon!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Excited to hear about all the layoffs while the people who are responsible parachute away to greener pastures to ruin.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cardinal Peel is backed by Murdoch, the former PM, and other big wigs. They are shocked at the allegations because he never raped people in front of them!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This guy is just begging to be arrested, but nobody will do it. :(

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1105688835336388608

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shifty Pony posted:

The real mystery is why the gently caress the FAA hasn't grounded the drat thing yet. Even Ted Cruz is calling for an investigation.

Because the plane is safe. Most countries are grounding it as a political move.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My understanding of the matter is that the Indonesian flight had a sensor false positive a stall and the pilots didnt(couldn't?) disengage the system trying to prevent said phantom stall. And who knows what caused the Ethiopian crash, since there hasnt been a ton of information from investigators over there.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Important update on the college admissions case:

The chief defendant was also, apparently, the chief cooperating witness:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alleged-mastermind-cheating-scandal-involving-lori-laughlin-wore-wire-expose-n982421

I wonder how much this gives the charged parents an entrapment defense. Were they contacting him from the very beginning with the idea of "Lets bribe my kids into school", or were they contacting him saying "Is there anyway to get little Jenny into USC?", and then he responded "Well, we could fake her being on the Water Polo team!". Because it seems like he was offering something that, on the face of it, was a legitimate business. Isn't the defense for entrapment that they were persuaded to do something they would not have done? Will the records show that they approached him specifically because the knew he was doing things like this?

As much as I like having the systemic problem exposed, and seeing corruption exposed, I also don't like the FBI entrapping people.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

HootTheOwl posted:

Because the plane is safe. Most countries are grounding it as a political move.

Except for the fact that multiple pilots have reported that it has pitch control issues at low speed and the stall-avoidance software has issues?

That's loving serious.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MA-Horus posted:

Except for the fact that multiple pilots have reported that it has pitch control issues at low speed and the stall-avoidance software has issues?

That's loving serious.

Even if it's pilot fuckups or not understanding the system that suggests a problem with training and/or the design of the controls. Multiple pilots shouldn't make the same mistake while also being unable to figure out what happened.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Even if it's pilot fuckups or not understanding the system that suggests a problem with training and/or the design of the controls. Multiple pilots shouldn't make the same mistake while also being unable to figure out what happened.

If the Ethiopia crash winds up being for the same cause then the issue is spread across multiple airlines/nationalities so it'd be a drat big training problem if so. Like how Boeing certs the instructors who cert the pilots big.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MA-Horus posted:

That's loving serious.

Except you can turn that off. I don't consider "pilot error" the fault of the airplane. We pay pilots a lot of money to know how.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Except you can turn that off. I don't consider "pilot error" the fault of the airplane. We pay pilots a lot of money to know how.

You can log off now, Muilenburg.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

StealthArcher posted:

You can log off now, Muilenburg.

If this latest crash turns out not be "the system the pilot didn't turn off" I'll eat some poo poo. If it turns out that it's a different flaw of the aircraft I'll eat even more poo poo.
Feel free to quote those and PM you favorite redtext. I'll buy it for myself. But so far there's been two accidents, one from pilot error and one that it's too early to tell.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

glowing-fish posted:

Important update on the college admissions case:

The chief defendant was also, apparently, the chief cooperating witness:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alleged-mastermind-cheating-scandal-involving-lori-laughlin-wore-wire-expose-n982421

I wonder how much this gives the charged parents an entrapment defense. Were they contacting him from the very beginning with the idea of "Lets bribe my kids into school", or were they contacting him saying "Is there anyway to get little Jenny into USC?", and then he responded "Well, we could fake her being on the Water Polo team!". Because it seems like he was offering something that, on the face of it, was a legitimate business. Isn't the defense for entrapment that they were persuaded to do something they would not have done? Will the records show that they approached him specifically because the knew he was doing things like this?

As much as I like having the systemic problem exposed, and seeing corruption exposed, I also don't like the FBI entrapping people.

Short version, since my text is wigging out: this is not entrapment in any way.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Pilots and thier training are a part of the designed system and blaming them is shifting the blame from the actually responsible parties.
This is also the common tactic of the parties responsible, when these types of designed systems fail. Blame the operator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

If this latest crash turns out not be "the system the pilot didn't turn off" I'll eat some poo poo. If it turns out that it's a different flaw of the aircraft I'll eat even more poo poo.
Feel free to quote those and PM you favorite redtext. I'll buy it for myself. But so far there's been two accidents, one from pilot error and one that it's too early to tell.

On the vessel side if I saw an accident created by that type of error I would still characterize it as a failure of the vessel's safety management system (SMS).

Airlines have the same safety managment systems, but they probably call them something slightly different.

And it's also a failure of the regulator that approved said system.