Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Please use your holy sword Pokémon for the rest of the game ofs we must pay respect to the ancients and also remind taka we deserve it more than him

That and to make sure he understands that if he isn't careful he will end up like the rest of his terrorist friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Oh right, they completely and preemptively undermined any impact this might have had by giving Titania the same thing before we could get here.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hers is Soul Edge, Raven's will be Soul Calibur(n).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

megane posted:

Oh right, they completely and preemptively undermined any impact this might have had by giving Titania the same thing before we could get here.

the creepypasta gymleader had a Doublade way back when, too, that was OHKOed by the Drapion I used once.

One of the repeatable battles in the Grand Hall has a Honedge starting from his second tier on, which evolves into Doublade and Aegislash as he keeps going up.

It's rare, only three trainers have it and two of them are gym leaders. But we have to see those two long before we get our own.

I don't use Aegislash for the same reason you don't see me use many psychic or ghost types in general. Amethyst loves giving things Knock Off.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

queserasera posted:

zettai unmei mokushiroku
zettai unmei mokushiroku

A refrigerator and an emo in a desert
A mirage-filled land of tedium
Where the stairs fold into each other
A puzzle-filled palace of boredom

I didn't know that reference, so my mind filled in the closest reference and made the next line "and it looks like I'm the queen"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Honedge is a ghost/steel pokemon.

I mean beyond that. I'm asking about this specific Honedge that we just got - does it set itself apart from other standard Honedges in any way?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kith posted:

I mean beyond that. I'm asking about this specific Honedge that we just got - does it set itself apart from other standard Honedges in any way?

Raven has it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So it's a special refrigerator magnet Honedge. Neat!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

queserasera posted:

zettai unmei mokushiroku
zettai unmei mokushiroku

A refrigerator and an emo in a desert
A mirage-filled land of tedium
Where the stairs fold into each other
A puzzle-filled palace of boredom

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

This is our weird-rear end ghost sword. There are many like it, but this one is ours.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

*in Plinkett voice* I can't believe I read the whole thing

I'm at a loss for words.

My one question is what is the timeline of when each episode released?

Edit: I'll admit to being surprised to seeing someone with a Hydreigon, I thought that would be too on the nose, but I guess I overestimated Amethyst's self-awareness.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 13, 2019

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

A very nice piece of art.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Now we're in Sugiline Cave for real. Mirage Tower was about its block puzzle and weird atmosphere with bonus dark room. Sugiline Cave is 100% all pits.

Sweet, drugs on an underground cactus.

Sometimes the pits in Sugiline Cave make you fall up to the start.

gently caress, in this maze of pits yuo have to throw Dugtrio at me?

My team seems weird, doesn't it? It's pretty simple really, I only need three of these guys to be honest but I brought Fly-Gon Jinn since I need to mediate a trade dispute. And he flies.

Sometimes you go up a ladder to find different holes.

A lot of holes.

Almost all of them lead to a different hole and that hole takes you to the start.

But once it led me to something that isn't more holes.

"Yeah, go ahead and press it. Then we can keep going."

(we do)

"...Nothing? I guess we have to hit the second one too. I vaguely recall doing this before... with my father."

So we have to go to the other side. Which means an entirely new set of holes to bumble through in trial-and-error.

"that's gonna be the end of us."

Don't be silly, I have the only one in all of Reborn.

The other statue had a button and it makes stairs. The stairs are easy to reach, it only requires one hole.

Hm. well. uh.

"When I was young, my father took me here with him once. It was before he really got involved starting Team Meteor. We explored these ruins together looking for something... To be honest, it's one of the very few positive memories I actually have of him... ...But I feel uneasy about this room. I can't remember why, but I feel like we should be careful."

"I remembered why. Run!"

The statues have come alive and are attacking us!

But too bad for them, Mamoswine's a bit too much.

And then there's more. :twisted:

With each one worth over 5,000 experience, I have to adjust Mamoswine's level several times.

All in all, 23 of them.

In E18 these Garchomps have 252 EVs in everything, 1500 EVs total, because Amethyst is a bad game designer who can't make something difficult without breaking the rules. They still couldn't stop Mamoswine, because Amethyst is a bad game designer who can't make something difficult when breaking the rules.

"Labradorra City, that is. I feel like even if I tell you not to go there, you won't listen. But, seriously... don't go. They'll probably try and lure you there. It would be really bad if you went... and I don't mean for Team Meteor."

Ominous. Raven doesn't listen to warnings like that though.

"Yeah? Years shaved off of life? Yeah."

Because they're dead. Give me some credit here!

"I can't believe I forgot about that... He told me at the time it was some kind of trial left for us by our family... I can't help but think that was absolutely not necessary."

Well I suppose when I haven't seen Sigilyph outside of this room I have to get one. It just means one more trip to the city to deposit things between this and Teknite.

I hear it's a really good game, but I am absolute trash at shoot-em-ups so I wouldn't know.

Wow! A real move!

"I wonder if this was his TM. If he left it here... He probably intended me to use it someday. You should take it. I'm not going to live up to his corrupted legacy anyway."

Coincidentally, none of Taka's stuff has Stone Edge.

"Yeah, seems like there's a button here too. Go ahead."

Raven pushes it and the screen shakes.

"having you press this place's self-destruct button. Let's see..."

gently caress you amethyst

:sigh: let's get to droppin'.

"Oh, I remember! This is where my father met his Garchomp! Well-- it was just a Gible at the time. And-- Oh... I had forgotten... he tried to get one for me too. But I didn't want it. I don't remember why. When we left he said that I ruined the whole trip by not catching one... So much for a positive memory. I forgot about that entirely. Maybe I should've just gone with it even though I didn't want to. I was just a kid. I probably didn't have much of a reason. ...But then again, maybe refusing to take the Pokemon left for me by our bloodline was just proof that I'd eventually leave them and come here with you. So I still don't want it. But, if you want to look for a Pokemon like that, I'll support you. I think it may not come out through normal means... I remember something about having to leave an offering and then coming back later..."

So there's these basins, we fill them with snax.

If you've forgotten, we have pokesnax, which are like scooby snax but for pokemon and not dogs.

"Then again, there's no way my father wouldn't have that..."

:rolleye:

There's a gible at a basin now, but we can't just run to it. That makes it flee into the sands.

We have to fall into the correct pit in the room above.

That lets us fall on it and ambush it!

Despite what you're thinking, I have little use for a Garchomp because I don't have the Earthquake TM and can't give it its most important move. Hell, in E17 it's stuck with Dig! At least E18's tutors give me Stomping Tantrum!

"You know, I'm kind of glad. I don't care about family or tradition or anything like that, but it would be sad if this place and that Pokemon were forgotten altogether. So, consider this a gift from me. I give you my history, so that I don't need to walk in its shadow anymore."

wow deep. That's all for The Sugiline Cave.

On the other side of the desert is Teknite Cave, which has infintely fewer pits but infinitely more field effect puzzles.

This map uses cave terrain, so...

Let's make it crystal!

GetThatMoney is my money cat, what makes them dollar bills.

Taka doesn't get field effect puzzles.

Or using Luna's crystal key. It works outside of Iolia Valley somehow.

Blimpo has it, so my blimp son is smashing into the wall with I guess his face.

I do, it's the only thing that makes me feel alive.

"Oh... Well, all right."

Next room has another red crystal, but there's a smaller one in the way that we can't just Rock Smash because [todo: insert reason later]

So I have to destroy the crystal field with Earthquake to get past it.

Then re-crystalize everything with Power Gem again.

We can't Surf with Taka along, so we have to go the other way to

The Teknite Ridge.

This message is a hint to

...Take off Blimpo's vest.

Ok now he can use Tailwind and cause Strong Winds.

You'd be excused for being somewhat confused.

Besides that, it's a Golden Sun jumping puzzle.

Sweet, I love mega stones. In the abstract sense anyway, I don't have a mega ring.

The strong wind lets Raven jump two tiles at once at select spots, offer void where prohibited.

Ah, there's the mountain notes.

Tailwind is the only move that makes Mountain generate strong winds.

I have no idea if you can reach these notes without the strong wind, but it takes so much drat work to even reach Teknite Ridge I'd not blame you if you just decided to take a long walk down a short pier after learning this.

Incidentally, Teknite Ridge has Minior very rarely at night.

The end goal is this Rowlet egg.

Hence why I had less than 6 things.

Because you can't take eggs if your party is full.

Because Reborn is a piece of poo poo.

"Then again, with gusts this strong, that egg might very well have had a big fall and not been put back together again. And you know, Frankly, same."

For all you Taka/Raven shippers out there, here's a line from another part of the dungeon:

"But the view here is nice. This might be weird, but... I'm glad I could see it with you."

Update your charts accordingly. Next time, a tiny miracle.

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

Bluerachi.

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Ah yes, my favorite, longass dungeons where you can't get the ultimate prize because your party is full :v:
What's the shiny thing to the right of the statue and Stone Edge?

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Gotta say that there is one benefit of Taka tagging along, and that is Raven is getting some characterization. Not a whole lot, but at least now Raven almost feels like someone who does in fact just punch through whatever her problem is and not worry about it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mad Surge posted:

Ah yes, my favorite, longass dungeons where you can't get the ultimate prize because your party is full :v:
What's the shiny thing to the right of the statue and Stone Edge?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

How dare they hide the best starter in an egg behind all this bullshit. t:mad:

Also dumb question, but I imagine you couldn't catch any of the statue!Garchomps?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kyrosiris posted:

How dare they hide the best starter in an egg behind all this bullshit. t:mad:

Also dumb question, but I imagine you couldn't catch any of the statue!Garchomps?

You saw that they actually just throw out pokeballs with regular garchomp.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Taka has managed to become vaguely more or less tolerable.

He's still not remotely interesting in any way and we still don't give the tiniest of fucks about his emo angst, but he's tolerable.

I can't understand the though process here though. The game's been total bullshit this entire time, why suddenly provide an NPC to act as permanent healing and hint system for this very large area? The egg with nowhere to deposit pokemon shows that the game itself is not becoming more playable. And once again why is Taka only helping us on this path? This isn't even bad writing, that would imply tone-deaf mistakes; this is just plain incoherent. Sometimes we can follow Amethyst's logic, even if we're yelling about what's wrong with it at every step, but there's nothing to follow here.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You saw that they actually just throw out pokeballs with regular garchomp.

Oh, I actually scrolled past it so quickly that I didn't realize it was a gif. :hurr:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Black Robe posted:

And once again why is Taka only helping us on this path?

Because he can't go back to Team Meteor, both because he keeps loving up and because he can't support what they're doing.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Yeah, even though it makes sense in retrospect (if he can still pretend to be loyal he has no reason to leave), its kind of weird how choosing the option he doesn't want you to choose (refusing to fight him) makes you team up, and doing the "nice" thing for him (defeating him) causes him to not help you later on. Feels like bad signposting.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Because he can't go back to Team Meteor, both because he keeps loving up and because he can't support what they're doing.

Sure, but that's true on the other path too. Surely us kicking his rear end yet again would also mean he can't go back. I guess maybe it just makes him mad at us so he sulks off to be emo by himself instead? Because that's clearly something significant enough to need a story branch to explore.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Black Robe posted:

Sure, but that's true on the other path too. Surely us kicking his rear end yet again would also mean he can't go back. I guess maybe it just makes him mad at us so he sulks off to be emo by himself instead? Because that's clearly something significant enough to need a story branch to explore.

Fighting him would give have given Taka something to hide behind and considering how often Meteor loses to her it would be hard to punish him too harshly.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Oh look, they put Cutter's Cry in a Pokemon fangame. At least there's no Chimera with glowing eyes here.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

SirPhoebos posted:

*in Plinkett voice* I can't believe I read the whole thing

I'm at a loss for words.

My one question is what is the timeline of when each episode released?

Suprisingly(or unsurprisingly) considering however much nonsense is in Reborn, there's no actual collection of change logs or episode titles from what I can find. That being said...
Episode 1: April 17, 2012
Episode 2: May 28, 2012
Episode 3: August, 2012
Episode 4: September 29, 2012
Episode 5: November 2, 2012
Episode 6: February 3, 2013
Episode 7: March 24, 2013
Episode 8: May 22, 2013
Episode 9: July 26, 2013
Episode 10: November 9, 2013
Episode 11: March 8, 2014
Episode 12: April 1, 2014
Episode 13: September 6, 2014
Episode 14: December 15, 2014
Episode 15: June 9, 2015
Episode 16: December 14, 2016
Episode 17: Decembee 24, 2017(OFS's point so far)
Episode 18: August 22, 2018(Current Release)

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Wow, that first dungeon looks like a pain in the rear end. Like, wow. Good thing Taka is here, or that dungeon would have quadrupled in length for running back for healing.

OFS, how long did it take for you to finish that pit dungeon, and did you have a guide/know where to go?

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Black Robe posted:

Taka has managed to become vaguely more or less tolerable.

He's still not remotely interesting in any way and we still don't give the tiniest of fucks about his emo angst, but he's tolerable.

I can't understand the though process here though. The game's been total bullshit this entire time, why suddenly provide an NPC to act as permanent healing and hint system for this very large area? The egg with nowhere to deposit pokemon shows that the game itself is not becoming more playable. And once again why is Taka only helping us on this path? This isn't even bad writing, that would imply tone-deaf mistakes; this is just plain incoherent. Sometimes we can follow Amethyst's logic, even if we're yelling about what's wrong with it at every step, but there's nothing to follow here.

Because Raven didn't fight him in the sewers it became clear that he let them go without a fight and is considered a traitor. If he'd fought and lost he'd just be incompetent like the rest of the Team but it's not a problem because the MC's pokemon battles are meaningless in this game unless the side characters need them to matter to advance the plot

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Raven punches through everything because it’s the only reliable way they have to interact with and change the world around them. :smith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Man, I just had the most horrible realization last night.

I wonder if Ame's going to add a postgame.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

TheKirbs posted:

Because Raven didn't fight him in the sewers it became clear that he let them go without a fight and is considered a traitor. If he'd fought and lost he'd just be incompetent like the rest of the Team but it's not a problem because the MC's pokemon battles are meaningless in this game unless the side characters need them to matter to advance the plot

Well, that just shows how insanely stupid he is, then. This is Pokemon. All he had to do was say she kicked his rear end and he healed his team afterwards. Pokemon battles don't leave physical evidence.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Black Robe posted:

Well, that just shows how insanely stupid he is, then. This is Pokemon. All he had to do was say she kicked his rear end and he healed his team afterwards. Pokemon battles don't leave physical evidence.

except for that one time at the start of B/W anyway.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, I just had the most horrible realization last night.

I wonder if Ame's going to add a postgame.

According to the development blog she is. Who the hell knows what it will consist if, but it'll exist.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

from what some people said, raising the level cap to 200 or some such stupidity.

But yeah, Taka is surprisingly tolerable here, still mopey as hell, but giving useful advice and isn't either being a sexpest or a smug tit. Though that's more damning with faint praise given how bad most of the cast is.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 13, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I got no idea how that happened.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Here's the list referenced with official game releases.

Episode 1: April 17,2012
Episode 2: May 28, 2012
Episode 3: August, 2012 B2W2 JP
Episode 4: September 29, 2012
Episode 5: November 2, 2012 B2W2 US
Episode 6: February 3, 2013
Episode 7: March 24, 2013
Episode 8: May 22, 2013
Episode 9: July 26, 2013
Episode 10: November 9, 2013 XY
Episode 11: March 8, 2014
Episode 12: April 1, 2014
Episode 13: September 6, 2014
Episode 14: December 15, 2014 ORAS
Episode 15: June 9, 2015
Episode 16: December 14, 2016 S&M
Episode 17: December 24, 2017
Episode 18: August 22, 2018 USUM

Notable is the 18 month gap between episode 15 and 16 and the year between 16 and 17.

I doubt 16 had 7th gen stuff because it was barely under a month, so it makes sense that 17 is the first with the things. Like, Mimikyu, Bruxish, Minior, and Rowlet being placed here, us getting our first type Z-crystal, it all looks like a pattern to my lizard brain.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So Amethyst has been making the game for 6 years, and at this point she's no longer C&Ping RP drama.

I have to admit, while I'm expecting the other shoe to drop any minute, it feels like Reborn is getting, well, less terrible.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

With each one worth over 5,000 experience, I have to adjust Mamoswine's level several times.

All in all, 23 of them.

In E18 these Garchomps have 252 EVs in everything, 1500 EVs total, because Amethyst is a bad game designer who can't make something difficult without breaking the rules. They still couldn't stop Mamoswine, because Amethyst is a bad game designer who can't make something difficult when breaking the rules.

quote:

So there's these basins, we fill them with snax.

If you've forgotten, we have pokesnax, which are like scooby snax but for pokemon and not dogs.

We have to fall into the correct pit in the room above.

That lets us fall on it and ambush it!

Despite what you're thinking, I have little use for a Garchomp because I don't have the Earthquake TM and can't give it its most important move. Hell, in E17 it's stuck with Dig! At least E18's tutors give me Stomping Tantrum!

quote:

Tailwind is the only move that makes Mountain generate strong winds.

I have no idea if you can reach these notes without the strong wind, but it takes so much drat work to even reach Teknite Ridge I'd not blame you if you just decided to take a long walk down a short pier after learning this.

quote:

The end goal is this Rowlet egg.

Hence why I had less than 6 things.

Because you can't take eggs if your party is full.

Because Reborn is a piece of poo poo.

Now That's What I Call Game Design

The unsung great things here also include a level 30 Gible and a level 1 rufflet (after hatching, of course!) at a point in the game where you are either in your early 80s or hitting the level 85 level cap
I assume the Honedge was also somewhere <= 30
Also legit surprised the egg wasn't a pidgey, was expecting that as soon as I saw the Pidgeotite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and unlike Insurgence, you don't have a handy means of fast-leveling pokemon - and we still don't have access to Earthquake's TM despite being close to end game.

There's also the issue of if you give in to Taka's request, you'll be constantly hoofing it back to Reborn to heal and spraying repels (Can we even get repels?) like there's no tomorrow, making an already long area even more of a slog to go through.