Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Space whales would have dense fur to make nice clothes out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Or you know, just slightly different whales suited to the mostly water planet of caladan.

Actually I bet you could make wicked wet weather gear out of whale fur.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The prequel novel set on Caladan gives a strangely lengthy description of the animals that whale fur comes from. Basically regular earth whales, except with gargantuan poofs of curly reddish hair surrounding their cloacas

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Communist Walrus posted:

The prequel novel set on Caladan gives a strangely lengthy description of the animals that whale fur comes from. Basically regular earth whales, except with gargantuan poofs of curly reddish hair surrounding their cloacas
"So beautiful," the Baron rasped.

Arrakis is where nearly all the action is and Arrakis seemed to be just the worms and some minor plants and bugs in the north polar regions. Kynes brought a buncha poo poo in though.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Korba of the Fedaykin by Mark Zug
This is very close to the way I've always imagined the stillsuits.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
I've always been confuaed over the connection between Korba of the Fedaykin and Korba the Panegyrist

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Korba the Zreek

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Temaukel posted:

Korba of the Fedaykin by Mark Zug
This is very close to the way I've always imagined the stillsuits.

I always assumed the important tubing was on the inside because they weren't stupid, but other than that, yeah.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

remember when paul had to kill that guy because the guy felt insulted

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

stabbed that man to death, he did

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's kinda funny considering maula pistols are a weird necessary throwback technology on Arrakis since omnipresent shields in the rest of the galaxy made gunpowder weapons obsolete. I imagine they're probably relatively primitive but very durable. If the Fremen had worked out jezails they might be unstoppable in the desert.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

I've always been confuaed over the connection between Korba of the Fedaykin and Korba the Panegyrist

Its right there. I don't have time to quote but it is the same guy. He entered the priesthood after Arakeen.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Ah, I see that you're right. When he gives a prayer for the pilgrims, the atreidies remark on the irony of a death commando becoming a priest. I was a bit confused because later on they refer to him as a gift of the naibs, so I got to thinking he was some sort of slave. I guess that was more figurative, though

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Communist Walrus posted:

Whale pubes made Harkonnen rich? Thanks @duneauthor

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's kinda funny considering maula pistols are a weird necessary throwback technology on Arrakis since omnipresent shields in the rest of the galaxy made gunpowder weapons obsolete. I imagine they're probably relatively primitive but very durable. If the Fremen had worked out jezails they might be unstoppable in the desert.

The thing with maula pistos is that they are stealthy spring loaded poison dart throwers for mid-close range. Jezails on the other hand are incredibly accurate but loud, and not very useful as ambush weapons in the relatively flat ergs i don't think.
e: snipers would be pinpointed by harkonnen thopters and lasgunned to death in a second

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 12, 2019

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

@duneauthor

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just read Frank Herbert's DUNE for the first time and I'm sad that he and his son died before writing any sequels or prequels

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Paul Muad'dib destroys Shaddam IV with FACTS and LOGIC

then EVERYBODy clapped

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

All six of Frank's?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Repeating what someone earlier in the thread said: totally fine with the ending of Chapterhouse.

It feels right that the book has so many loose ends. The universe is getting bigger, not smaller, so there's no way to answer every question about every detail. It is loving hilarious that one of the common genotypes in the latter books is Atreides, a la Genghis Khan. Paul's descendants are littered all over the place.

Take note, inferior authors. Not everything has to be clones.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Has there been any more production news on the remake? They've started filming in Hungary and Morocco, right?

What about casting? Seems we haven't heard anything in a while, oddly enough even for some seemingly important roles. I'm wondering if they've cut out some characters or folded their roles into others to streamline the screenplay. Reading the book again, there is a fair bit of stuff that (as before with the two adaptations) would be really difficult to put to film, not worth it for the little exposition it would provide.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Speaker posted:

Has there been any more production news on the remake? They've started filming in Hungary and Morocco, right?

What about casting? Seems we haven't heard anything in a while, oddly enough even for some seemingly important roles. I'm wondering if they've cut out some characters or folded their roles into others to streamline the screenplay. Reading the book again, there is a fair bit of stuff that (as before with the two adaptations) would be really difficult to put to film, not worth it for the little exposition it would provide.

I just want to know who will play soo-soo :colbert:

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Kendrick Lamarr is doing the soundtrack.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Tertius Oculum posted:

Kendrick Lamarr is doing the soundtrack.

What happens if you say "king kunta" through a weirding module?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
this one kills only LAPD officers

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

phasmid posted:

Repeating what someone earlier in the thread said: totally fine with the ending of Chapterhouse.

It feels right that the book has so many loose ends. The universe is getting bigger, not smaller, so there's no way to answer every question about every detail. It is loving hilarious that one of the common genotypes in the latter books is Atreides, a la Genghis Khan. Paul's Ghanima's descendants are littered all over the place.

Take note, inferior authors. Not everything has to be clones.

I know it is the same thing, but this way you understand why a little better.

Edit: not to mention that this emphasizes the impact of Corrino and Kynes and Fremen genes as well.

exmachina fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 13, 2019

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

No true Fremen would expose that much skin, kill him before he wastes more of the tribe's water.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Wouldn’t everyone have slug thrower guns for use on Arrakis? They don’t require any special knowledge or material to make, and they’re usable in the most strategically important planet in the setting. It’s like if guns didn’t work within 10 minutes of an oil field. You’d better believe countries, PMCs and militias would have some oil field compatible guns lying around.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zopotantor posted:

No true Fremen would expose that much skin, kill him before he wastes more of the tribe's water.

His unplugged tear ducts are an affront to the sietch.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
GHM did nothing wrong.

:colbert:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Wouldn’t everyone have slug thrower guns for use on Arrakis? They don’t require any special knowledge or material to make, and they’re usable in the most strategically important planet in the setting. It’s like if guns didn’t work within 10 minutes of an oil field. You’d better believe countries, PMCs and militias would have some oil field compatible guns lying around.

well, isn't there a whole bunch of things going on there?

you've got lasguns, shields and the holtzman effect or whatever. okay, people can't use shields on arrakis due to worms, but it seems like there isn't much unrestricted do-or-die warfare in the dune universe. i think mention is made in the first book that war is more about assassins and covert operations than pitched battles, and when open warfare rolls about it's basically regulated by the emperor and the guild. so, why go to all the trouble of manufacturing firearms for one planet?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I just read Frank Herbert's DUNE for the first time and I'm sad that he and his son died before writing any sequels or prequels

Frank's 2nd and 4th books are also extremely good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Who are you going to shoot, the worms? You'd also probably have to create the gunpowder from scratch. If you're gonna kill another Fremen you want to secure his water, anyway.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

you've got lasguns, shields and the holtzman effect or whatever. okay, people can't use shields on arrakis due to worms, but it seems like there isn't much unrestricted do-or-die warfare in the dune universe. i think mention is made in the first book that war is more about assassins and covert operations than pitched battles, and when open warfare rolls about it's basically regulated by the emperor and the guild. so, why go to all the trouble of manufacturing firearms for one planet?

I wonder if the messed-up slow rate of technological change in the dune universe has an effect on this stuff too.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

There's no real benefit to using them anyway, most non-Fremen fighters on Dune use shields. The only real danger of shields is attracting a worm in open sand, which is really only relevant to spice miners, smugglers and Fremen. In fact the one group who stands to gain from using projectile guns (as ambush weapons), the fremen, already do. Offworlders who want to kill fremen from far away just use lasguns.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Nessus posted:

Who are you going to shoot, the worms? You'd also probably have to create the gunpowder from scratch. If you're gonna kill another Fremen you want to secure his water, anyway.

The idea of killing a fremen and using his own stillsuit to extract his water is a cool mental image

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That all does make sense, figures.

Jezails are still cool, though.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
So I am pretty sure the maula were manufactured by Fremen, remember they are excellent engineers, a necessity in their environment. Also as said above most warfare did not take place on the deep desert but in the sink and graben, ie where most of the non-fremen population were.

But the most important reason is that Dune is a FEUDAL society. The use of Force is monopolised by the upper classes. And the "war of assassins" means that there are rules about what form that violence can take. Large scale movements of men would have been extremely rare before Duke Leto assumed control of Arrakis. As planets were feifdoms the only real way to gain or lose a planet were through dynastic struggles. In fact one of the ways that the Baron was weak was that his demesne could be taken away by the Emperor at basically any time. He was doing the Emperor's dirty work because his choice of heir needed to be approved by Shaddam.

So long story short apart from small band struggles between spice miners, Smugglers and Fremen, there was just not a lot of fighting going on in the Universe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MAD is practised with the Great Houses with the family atomics, treachery is basically the approved method of taking a planet. (and probably because it's the least destructive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Amazon UK has all six books in a bundle for 99p.