Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Safety Dance posted:

Whoops, you made me search for Jimnys on Craigslist. I found a JDM mini-truck importer in Patterson, NJ and rediscovered my love for these things

Also they've got a Jimny for $6K. I can't imagine the hassle getting it registered in New York though

It might not be that big of a deal to get it registered, usually if it passes federal then states only worry about their inspections and whatever that entails.

That's a good price for a Jimny but it doesn't mean it's a good Jimny. It really does seem like 80%~ of other importers doing exactly like what we're doing have lower standards than I'd accept. Suppose ours might be pretty high but dang if you are going to spend so much money to transport something across an ocean you might as well make sure it's worth the effort!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Darchangel posted:

0/10
I don't see a Mustang in either of those pics.

edit: OK, 2/10, for the kitty.

Pan right

This car is the cause of a lot of heartbreak for me, I bought it in 2013 after my supercharged '04 GT got totaled, for $6000, on an impulse, drunk, sight-unseen of off Ebay. I lived in upstate NY at the time, drove downstate to get it, got hit by a thunderstorm on the way home, where I soon realised the weather stripping had never been replaced, and the electrical systems started failing, I wad forced to abandon it for the night at a highway rest stop. Planned to fix it up over the winter, but ended up snowboarding with %100 of my free time, the next spring my garage flooded, and the cars interior mildewed.

2014 I dragged the car with me to CT, and parked it in a storage unit, until I got a place with a garage. That never happened, and with 80+ hour workweeks I never would have worked on it anyways.

Last year I dragged it out of storage, the faithful old Ford I6 fired right up with a new battery, and I had it shipped cross-country to my new house.

Which doesn't have a garage.

So there it sits, under a cover, unloved and unregistered, until I build a garage.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Donate to the fourms/Lowtax's spine y'all.

It's easy and it makes you feel good!.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ExplodingSims posted:

should make a sticky for this. I have my head up my rear end 24/7 and I only noticed the whole thing and ventured into the AI chat thread because of a post in BFC

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

BlackMK4 posted:

should make a sticky for this. I have my head up my rear end 24/7 and I only noticed the whole thing and ventured into the AI chat thread because of a post in BFC

Yeah no one really had any idea because Lowtax has catholic guilt or something. I actually signed up for patreon to help the man out, lord knows I've cost my weight in bandwidth or whatever.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

BlackMK4 posted:

Adiabatic do the needful.

Until then, here's a link to the Patreon for interested parties:
https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage/overview

You can also still donate to the forums for fun titles and such.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah it's right at the top of every page, but in case people need a link:

https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/donate.php

Lowtax promised himself he'd never do a recurring subscription so for those of us willing, either remember to do it or sign up for the Patreon. The donate link goes 100% to the site though, I think Patreon takes a cut of what goes through there.

Saving these forums is one more thing I'll do if I win the lottery. I spend more money on my Amazon Prime membership than I do here and lord knows Lowtax deserves it more than Bezos does.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Excluding Abe's one-time donation via Patreon for $2420.69 (nice) the SA patreon has almost hit $6k.

God drat, goons. We did a good.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Agreed, this place is amazing. Would definitely pay a yearly subscription in a heartbeat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah no one really had any idea because Lowtax has catholic guilt or something. I actually signed up for patreon to help the man out, lord knows I've cost my weight in bandwidth or whatever.

Dude's depressed as gently caress and his spine keeps exploding, I can totally see him not feeling right about speaking up. Glad he said something though, as this place isn't a bunch of angry 20 year olds in their parents' basements anymore, and people are willing to throw a couple bucks a month into keeping the lights on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

\ as this place isn't a bunch of angry 20 year olds in their parents' basements anymore,

Citation needed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Citation needed.

We're getting old, man. 1999 was 20 years ago.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Liquid Communism posted:

We're getting old, man. 1999 was 20 years ago.

You got sources for that?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

here's a source

math posted:

code:
=  20

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Math is so subjective though. In my opinion 1990 was 10 years ago, and the original viper is closer in age to modern day cars than it is to the 68 charger.

e: also, fun fact, GTA Vice City came out in 2002, set in 1986. IF it came out today with the same gap to the time period, it would be set in 2003!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 13, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Siochain posted:

You got sources for that?

Yeah, the horrible noises my knees make in the morning and all this grey hair. :smith:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd definitely pay a monthly fee for this place, I don't even do that for Binky.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd definitely pay a monthly fee for this place, I don't even do that for Binky.

Same. I get more entertainment and enjoyment from this place than any other on the entire internet.

Got home from the er. 4 liters of fluid and I couldn't even fill a shot glass with piss. So dehydrated that the nurse, the doctor, and the pcs all yelled at me. Woo.

E: med goons : potassium was 2.9 and my anion gap was 15.3. Woooooo.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 13, 2019

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, the horrible noises my knees make in the morning and all this grey hair. :smith:

poo poo, explains how I feel every goddamned day.
gently caress.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Liquid Communism posted:

glad he said something though, as this place isn't a bunch of angry 20 year olds in their parents' basements anymore

Its now a bunch of cranky 30-40 year olds in their parents' basements.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You Am I posted:

drat, George Pell only got 3 year and 8 months non-parole sentence (6 years otherwise) for two counts of child sexual assault

Now here's a definite candidate for the doughnut on the end of a shotgun thing...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Now here's a definite candidate for the doughnut on the end of a shotgun thing...

That rear end in a top hat doesn't deserve the doughnut.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Powershift posted:

Math is so subjective though.

This statesmen is true, I’ve been dealing with my kids common core hellscape for too many years to think otherwise now. Math is now about feeling good about the number.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That rear end in a top hat doesn't deserve the doughnut.

Absolutely, I’m also inclined to say a shotgun is too luxurious for him. He needs to be winged a few times with a .22 so he can feel it.

Lowtax chat: does anybody know what the actual operating costs of the forums are? Obviously bandwidth/server(s)/power, but how much is monthly cost for that poo poo to keep this place floating on? The Patreon hit 9300, if operating cost + $2250 a month for anthem blue cross PPO package with $100 max deductible per year per family member including delta dental and VSP insurance is met, I don’t see the issue with having to turn the lights off unless forums cost now exceed $7,050 a month.

keykey fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 13, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

Math is so subjective though. In my opinion 1990 was 10 years ago, and the original viper is closer in age to modern day cars than it is to the 68 charger.

e: also, fun fact, GTA Vice City came out in 2002, set in 1986. IF it came out today with the same gap to the time period, it would be set in 2003!

I feel personally attacked by every aspect of this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_8cCT0n1k

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I donated to the tax man's slush fund

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Door Frame posted:

I found out my oil pressure gauge is just for show, since I watch my gauges religiously. I just added 2qt to my 3.6qt capacity engine to get it back to normal levels

I can't wait to change the oil tomorrow...

The oil pressure gauge on my Crown Vic *looks* like a gauge, but it's actually an idiot light. It springs to the half-way "ok" point if there is any pressure at all. I have an earlier CV gauge that can be made to be a real pressure gauge - they just use a biasing resistor to make it do the idiot light thing. So does my gauge, but on mine it's built in to the gauge itself, whereas on the earlier one it's on the circuit board on the back of the cluster. I have the sending unit, I just need to get around to pulling the cluster out.

Elviscat posted:

Pan right

This car is the cause of a lot of heartbreak for me, I bought it in 2013 after my supercharged '04 GT got totaled, for $6000, on an impulse, drunk, sight-unseen of off Ebay. I lived in upstate NY at the time, drove downstate to get it, got hit by a thunderstorm on the way home, where I soon realised the weather stripping had never been replaced, and the electrical systems started failing, I wad forced to abandon it for the night at a highway rest stop. Planned to fix it up over the winter, but ended up snowboarding with %100 of my free time, the next spring my garage flooded, and the cars interior mildewed.

2014 I dragged the car with me to CT, and parked it in a storage unit, until I got a place with a garage. That never happened, and with 80+ hour workweeks I never would have worked on it anyways.

Last year I dragged it out of storage, the faithful old Ford I6 fired right up with a new battery, and I had it shipped cross-country to my new house.

Which doesn't have a garage.

So there it sits, under a cover, unloved and unregistered, until I build a garage.

Better.
If it makes you feel any better, I've had my '70 Cutlass for 25-30 years, and it currently sits on the street under a cover, with no battery, a leaky fuel pump, and won't shift into any gear past first. It was a daily driver when I got it. It got hit in the rear quarter on my commute. I got another car to drive, and it's been parked ever since. It was occasionally driven (still with the quarter damage) until the trans quit shifting a decade or so ago. I moved it from the driveway to the street in 2018 when I sold the RX-7 that was in the garage to get said RX-7 out of said garage. It started up fairly easily after adding gas to the carb, but was pissing fuel from the fuel pump - split in the diaphragm most likely.
Right now my '79 RX-7 is occupying the driveway (the garage is sorta full of stuff, even after getting the other RX-7 out of there) while I rebuild parts of it (see my thread, then despair because nothing's been done since it got cold and wet.) Goal is to have that running and driving this year, then I'll take a look at the Olds' transmission.

ExplodingSims posted:

Adiabatic do the needful.

Until then, here's a link to the Patreon for interested parties:
https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage/overview

You can also still donate to the forums for fun titles and such.

Thanks for that - I was going to ask if someone didn't post it up.
I'm already a patron of several less-worthy (though still worthy) sites/projects, so why not? As several of you have noted, I've gotten quite a lot of value out of SA.

Telyra posted:

Excluding Abe's one-time donation via Patreon for $2420.69 (nice) the SA patreon has almost hit $6k.

God drat, goons. We did a good.

Over $10K when I just pledged.

Liquid Communism posted:

THIS.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I have water and a sink back in my master bathroom now!

Still other stuff to take care of, but it's functional now.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I bumped my Patreon pledge a little bit last night. It’s great to see goons doing yet another good thing. These forums, in general.. :glomp:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Darchangel posted:

3/10 does not appeal to :females:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Nice!

Our first floor bathroom is the oe with the small leak so I decided that when I cut open the wall I'm gonna put a utility sink in the garage.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

glyph posted:

Seriously.

It's just about daily that I'm reminded that the :10bux: I gave to Lowtax way back when has the single highest ROI of anything I'll ever pay for.

Quoting myself from the bottom of page 10.

In on the patreon. If I can justify pledging money on there to something that hasn't been a daily part of my life for the last dozen years, surely I can justify it something that has.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Denver's getting a nice one day blizzard, I already bailed out of work so yay, snow day! It's bad enough that the plows are only plowing one lane of the arterials in town. I saw two cars in the ditch and spinout tracks on the highway, then in my neighborhood a pickup understeered through a right turn and buried his left front wheel in the median curb. It's that super wet heavy spring snow that packs into wet ice and is slicker than poo poo on the roads. Fun times, good to be home and toasty. Now to binge on TV, internet, and games.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good thing the forums got funded because Facebook is fuckin imploding.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Good thing the forums got funded because Facebook is fuckin imploding.

Every day I miss facebook less.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

toplitzin posted:

Every day I miss facebook less.

The AI group has been our fallback when the forums break.

Maybe we need to seriously think about something else incase it does break for good.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
alt.automotiveinsanity

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
AI is the only thing I miss about leaving facebook.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Maybe we need to seriously think about something else incase it does break for good.

At this point we may as well clone AI on a self hosted box somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

use Discord since that isn't going anywhere and we have written tools that verify that someone has a forums account and keeps a blacklist that bans the SA discord nazis that try to stomp around

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 13, 2019