Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dabir posted:

From a comment one of the devs left, it sounds like the scaling is partly intentional to allow lower levelled players to play with higher level ones. The question then is, does he mean they've made all grinding in their PvE grind game meaningless by design?

the thing is, this makes sense if you have a lower-level character and a higher-level character partying together. MMO and MMO-adjacent games have actually done this before; I remember City of Heroes (RIP) had a system where, if two players were in a party together and had a vast level disparity, one player could temporarily scale themselves up or down to deal with content targeted at the other. a lower-level character could be a sidekick to a higher-level one, or a higher could be an "exemplar" to a lower-level one. as a general mechanic that's in place always, though... that's really stupid?

but at the same time, a lower-scale version of how it currently works out wouldn't necessarily be bad; the starting weapon scaling decently through the entire game would mean that if you get unlucky with drops, you can just keep soldiering on until you do find something cool, instead of having to stop and grind like crazy when your weapon suddenly can't hurt anything (you just won't be doing quite as well as someone who did get lucky). the starting weapon being flat out the best is stupid and terrible, though, and it needs to get nerfed a bit for this to work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It is honestly a very good and canny design decision marred by giving the player damage numbers that outright lie (or obscure some background balancing), overtweaking the balance in favor of the starter weapon, and making both of those facts incredibly obvious in conjunction. It should be a lot easier to gracefully balance an FPS that isn't weighed down by a numbers-grinding MMO experience and create a smooth player experience so that everybody can be happy, you've just got to, you know, actually hide it if you want people to care about the numbers going up.

E: Games lie to the player in service of the experience pretty often. I don't mind the idea of artificial progression too much, it's basically the inverse of artificial difficulty, but if it doesn't actually feel like progression (as is the case here), then ya hosed it

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I wish I had it recorded, but playing Far Cry 5, a dead enemy glitched through the boat I was driving, and each time the boat bobbed up, there was this 'aargh!' cry and a spurt of blood.

Driving toward a boathouse it was just this really rhythmic:
'aargh!'*spurt*'aargh!'*spurt*'aargh!'*spurt*'aargh!'*spurt*

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
https://twitter.com/DNOpls/status/1104605266790809600?s=19
Boba Fett wins

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

B-b-but Han shot first :ohdear:

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
https://twitter.com/DestructionBomb/status/1104638296217526273

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I know Dead Or Alive is known for jiggle physics but this is absurd

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Come on, Top Spin wasn't that bad.

Okay, maybe it was.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

That’s the character you get for pre ordering too :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
With the way the model stuck out her butt at first, I thought was going to be something related to that, but then the spinning started and it was magical. :allears:

wheeeeee

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

I love this, it reminds me of doing moveset swaps in Street Fighter IV to make everyone Zangief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hLVjNCfwk

I had a look at my old youtube videos while I was grabbing that and found some minor thread content that didn't require messing with the game's files; a locker right at the start of the horrible game Chrome: Specforce which will kill you if you run into it because it clips into your head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGUshQGKvZM

frankly though, there aren't many parts of that game that wouldn't qualify for this thread. the first time I tried to play through it, I hit MULTIPLE bugs that made stages completely impossible to complete.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/uqgY45t.mp4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/m9IrM5Z.mp4

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

dreamin of semen posted:

I had a look at my old youtube videos while I was grabbing that and found some minor thread content that didn't require messing with the game's files; a locker right at the start of the horrible game Chrome: Specforce which will kill you if you run into it because it clips into your head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGUshQGKvZM

i don't understand, this is just realism??

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I don't get it, is it that the monsters are loving off to go poke at a corner instead of attack the player?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
I believe they are reverse sliding, which is something I don't think they're supposed to be doing.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I’m starting to think Anthem is a bad game.

quote:

A brief explanation is that removing your support items increases your damage, because the most recent patch scales damage based off your average item level. Removing low level items doesn’t make the slot a zero; it removes that slot from the average calculation altogether. That means that, unless you have a full set of end game gear, it’s mathematically more powerful to just abandon the low-level items that would drag your average down. You will do as much damage as you would if you were decked out in the best gear around.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Math is hard ok. :shrug:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
So did they just not playtest Anthem at all or what? Like, holy poo poo, I get having some bugs at launch, but if your main money maker is going to be loot weapons and poo poo, it'd probably be good to not gently caress up what seems to be every aspect of them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SpacePig posted:

So did they just not playtest Anthem at all or what? Like, holy poo poo, I get having some bugs at launch, but if your main money maker is going to be loot weapons and poo poo, it'd probably be good to not gently caress up what seems to be every aspect of them.

From my experience in game testing, I'd bet money that their QA team was too small, underfunded, and overworked, and probably had most of their bugs returned as "no repro" or "won't fix," not for technical reasons but political ones.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
major game companies are basically marketing teams that have a couple programmers on staff

AAA games are the epitome of polished turds

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SpacePig posted:

Mechanics can either be correct, in that the numbers you read matter, or wrong, in that the numbers you read are lies.

Building level scaling is either going to be based on the level of the area (correct but can gate content) or the player (wrong but allows full freedom). In a game with inconsistent drop power, the player's power level is either actual numbers (correct but can require grinding) or some holistic attribute based on abstract gear efficacy (wrong but no grind). Finally, the level scaling can be static (correct but if a player's power level changes they'll either find it easier or harder) or dynamic (wrong but the player is never too strong or too weak).

Sounds like Anthem picked the wrong option at least two times in a row. Diablo II, for reference, is correct in all cases and suffers for it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Somfin posted:

Diablo II, for reference, is correct in all cases and suffers for it.
How so? I played D2 a lot but as a kid, so I didn't ever dig deep into the mechanics.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The glitches have become too powerful and are now infecting reality.

https://i.imgur.com/5tvCtpY.gifv

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Somfin posted:

Mechanics can either be correct, in that the numbers you read matter, or wrong, in that the numbers you read are lies.

Building level scaling is either going to be based on the level of the area (correct but can gate content) or the player (wrong but allows full freedom). In a game with inconsistent drop power, the player's power level is either actual numbers (correct but can require grinding) or some holistic attribute based on abstract gear efficacy (wrong but no grind). Finally, the level scaling can be static (correct but if a player's power level changes they'll either find it easier or harder) or dynamic (wrong but the player is never too strong or too weak).

Sounds like Anthem picked the wrong option at least two times in a row. Diablo II, for reference, is correct in all cases and suffers for it.

Yeah but having empty slots just not count at all for power scaling instead of counting as 0 is beyond wrong and straight into incorrect.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

The glitches have become too powerful and are now infecting reality.

https://i.imgur.com/5tvCtpY.gifv

That video is sped up a good bit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

EoRaptor posted:

Nope

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you fool, nothing is faster than a dog

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tetracube posted:

major game companies are basically marketing teams that have a couple programmers on staff

AAA games are the epitome of polished turds

Crowbcat is a YouTube channel that solely exists to herald these gently caress ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwA2OaVsbts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcLyDb6niA

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Wasabi the J posted:

Crowbcat is a YouTube channel that solely exists to herald these gently caress ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcLyDb6niA

He gives me serious David Miscavige vibes

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

SpacePig posted:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

From my experience in game testing, I'd bet money that their QA team was too small, underfunded, and overworked, and probably had most of their bugs returned as "no repro" or "won't fix," not for technical reasons but political ones.

The sorts of issues being described with Anthem are design problems rather than actual bugs, from what we're hearing.
Dollars to doughnuts Thunderbeast is right and QA reported "yo, this doesn't produce the play experience you presumably want" to which the response from the dev team was some version of "gently caress you scrubs, you don't get paid to do design".

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

The_White_Crane posted:

QA reported "yo, this doesn't produce the play experience you presumably want" to which the response from the dev team was some version of "we've been working 80 hour weeks and the game releases in 3 days lmao".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can do QA by making sure what's supposed to work does work, but a more thorough (and better, and costly) QA makes sure as many ways that go wrong don't

all the scaling bugs seem to be the former in that they work in the obvious ways that you want them to work but they don't if you try to break things

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Wasabi the J posted:

Jesus christ. Crackdown started out so good, how can they keep loving up the sequels so bad?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
just release the original on PC imo

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's easy to forget that we still don't have a really reliable process for people of varying skill levels to build software with a predictable build quality and timeline (fast, good, cheap, pick one). Games exacerbate this problem because they usually get released at a specific time rather than when the developers are happy with the product. Net result: some nontrivial percentage of games are going to get released in a woefully un-ready state.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GyverMac posted:

Jesus christ. Crackdown started out so good, how can they keep loving up the sequels so bad?

None of the sequels were made by the team that made the first game (IIRC Microsoft took way too long to order a sequel and the original devs had moved on to other projects and couldn't just drop those and go back to working on a sequel) and the third game isn't even made by the same team that made the initial announcement/press cycle about the features.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Saints Row 3-4 are Crackdown sequels in addition to Saints Row sequels.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

EoRaptor posted:

Yeah, it's clearly edited somehow. Here's the original:

https://twitter.com/chanbanhi/status/1105561842619957249

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's easy to forget that we still don't have a really reliable process for people of varying skill levels to build software with a predictable build quality and timeline (fast, good, cheap, pick one).
And we're never going to, either. Software engineering on that scale is 50% art, 10% black magic and maybe 40% a matter of actual technological skill. You can't really formalize the process of hand-crafting an essentially unique product almost entirely from scratch every single time.