Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
how much play is normal for swaybar endlinks? one side has a knock and a twang on bumps that sounds like something taut (only things that I can think of that'd be under tension are the spring and the sway bar?). the other side doesn't have a sound, the side that does have a sound has a little bit more play in the endlinks, but there wouldnt be much difference in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
They should pivot on the ball inside the link, but if it's not smooth or feels gritty, it's time to replace them. Which reminds me that I need to replace both my rear links...

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
In this video where a guy builds an EJ20 race engine, he runs four tubes to push-connect fittings in the block near the tops of the cylinders. Anybody know what they are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMvwHm2syJw&t=482s

This is a cool video series to watch BTW. Detailed build from the bottom up.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My guess would be a water/meth injection built into the heads?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Bajaha posted:

My guess would be a water/meth injection built into the heads?

They are in the block though. It looks like they go into the water jacket?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm going to go with some sort of headgasket monitoring setup. Some of the wrc cars had that type of a sensor. And also some didn't even have headgaskets- copper o-rings for the chambers and little individual o-rings for all the water passages.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Yeah the rest of the video shows that on this motor. No head gaskets, o-ringed head.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Another 10mm into the abyss. :suicide:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I got a puncture on my 2 week old set of new tires because of course. Costco is going to handle the replacement thankfully but I think I'm only getting one tire.
Would the tread wear difference be serious enough to be concerned? They told me the tire was at 9/10ths when they removed it to inspect and I'm not sure if they would shave it to match the wear.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I feel like if your two week old tires are worn enough to cause problems with replacing just one, they're either really lovely tires, your alignment is busted, or you drive a shitton of miles every two weeks.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
you'd get more tread difference between rotations than you'd have in those 2 weeks

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My wife was driving our 2018 Crosstrek and said the front started making a screeching sound. From what I can tell it might be a rock between the wheel and caliper?

Anything else it might be?

She's a 30 min drive away and we don't have a second car

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Jamal / CT can you tell me what size swaybars are standard on an AUDM blobeye WRX? I'm fidning conflicting reports online, superpro bushings insist it's either 19 or 22 but sitting under the car with calipers I'm getting 20.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 12, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

underage at the vape shop posted:

Jamal / CT can you tell me what size swaybars are standard on an AUDM blobeye WRX? I'm fidning conflicting reports online, superpro bushings insist it's either 19 or 22 but sitting under the car with calipers I'm getting 20.

19mm.

HOWEVER

I've measured a couple of bars and gotten the same result as you - 20mm. Subaru Australia putting odd sized poo poo on random cars isnt unheard of.

19mm bushings should be fine anyway even if the bar is 20 mm.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Passed 50,000km with piston slap that sounds like a lovely diesel tractor. I'm not sure whether I should be impressed or not.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Think I’m going to go test drive the new Forester Sport. I think they’re pretty. Anybody here driven or bought one?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

20/20 or 20/17 are the swaybar sizes I've seen on the wrx. STis got 19 or 20mm bars depending on year and location. My "general market/eu" FSM for 2004 which claims to include australia lists 20/20 on the wrx.

Prodrive used to provide rubber bushings a mm or two smaller than their bushings. maybe because it was easier to just get oem ones than make their own but I was told was that it made the bar seem slightly stiffer and didn't squeak like poly.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Apparently BRZ/86/FRS’s are spinning bearings after the valve spring recall: http://www.thedrive.com/news/26848/scion-fr-s-subaru-brz-owners-say-valve-spring-recall-fix-is-destroying-their-engines

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm glad mine is a '15 and not affected. I am worried though that the same shoddy workmanship will kill my parent's '13 Crosstrek.

I just got the letter the other day about my '11 WRX needing the passenger side airbag replaced. Ugh, I really don't want a dealership essentially removing the whole dash. They couldn't even handle replacing a window channel without gouging the poo poo out of the window frame paint. This may be the final push for me to replace the car.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I wonder if this means my '12 Impreza will blow up after I get it recall fixed. (I haven't checked the VIN but I'm just assuming it's needed)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

I'm glad mine is a '15 and not affected. I am worried though that the same shoddy workmanship will kill my parent's '13 Crosstrek.

I just got the letter the other day about my '11 WRX needing the passenger side airbag replaced. Ugh, I really don't want a dealership essentially removing the whole dash. They couldn't even handle replacing a window channel without gouging the poo poo out of the window frame paint. This may be the final push for me to replace the car.

Having a good dealer is so important for a car under warranty. I drove 80 miles to get my WRX repaired. No other dealer I talked to had any clue of what to do. That was a pretty harrowing drive with a car that would stall randomly.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Charles posted:

Having a good dealer is so important for a car under warranty. I drove 80 miles to get my WRX repaired. No other dealer I talked to had any clue of what to do. That was a pretty harrowing drive with a car that would stall randomly.

My dealership is awesome. I have a modified car and they never turn me away for alignments or other work involving modified components. However the last time I asked, they had no idea what walnut blasting the intake was for. I asked about it and they said the best they had was a Seafoam like treatment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have not been overly impressed with any of my local dealers.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Yeah I’m trying to find a good one to fix an airbag light that I have been unable to get rid of. The last one that did the airbag recall left trim pieces hanging off and screws in the cup holder.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wouldn't even have driven it off the lot in that state. I would have gone back to the service desk and insisted they give me a loaner right then and there until the reassembled the car properly.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The service center had just closed and I had taken the console apart myself a few times for radio and gauge install so I knew exactly how to get it back together. I fixed it myself in a few minutes without thinking. Then as I thought about it I got more and more pissed and called the service manager the next day and he said “sorry :shrug:

In the end it wasn’t a huge deal but it was enough to make me not want to do business with them any more.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

I wonder if this means my '12 Impreza will blow up after I get it recall fixed. (I haven't checked the VIN but I'm just assuming it's needed)

I got the recall on my 2012, but haven't taken it in. I'm glad I didn't.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I mean it would maybe give me an excuse to buy a new car :xd:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

tangy yet delightful posted:

I got the recall done on my '13 hatch, I beat the rush. I'll post here if anything happens.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rolo posted:

Think I’m going to go test drive the new Forester Sport. I think they’re pretty. Anybody here driven or bought one?

I drove it and I liked it :colbert:

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

FogHelmut posted:

Same valve spring but the recall for BRZ/86 is very different procedure than Impreza. Problem is Toyota techs doing recalls on Subaru motors

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Motherfucker. Ball joints ruin me again.

I bought the ball joint removal tool and ordered new control arms with preinstalled bushings and balljoints. I was able to pull the old ball joints super easily with the ball joint removal tool, and got the passenger side control arm and ball joint installed. On the drivers side, everything went good until for some reason the new ball joint didn't want to play nice going in to the knuckle. I was hammering on the control arm a bit (aluminum so didn't want to whack it like a steel one), and tried to gently hammer the ball joint spindle... I couldn't get the loving thing out, so decided to try and use the ball joint remover and try to re-install it. I took off the castle nut from the ball joint and it loving stripped the threads out near the end of the spindle, looks like from some mild mushrooming of the bottom of the bolt :cry:

Total loving shitshow, spent like an hour using a file to try and taper the ends of the bolt so a nut or the remover tool could thread on to no avail. Heated the knuckle with propane torch to try and loosen the ball joint to no avail (probably not enough heat). Tried to pry it out from multiple angles and nothing. As a hail mary I tried to thread on the ball joint removal tool and of course it ended up damaging the threads on the tool, so now that's junk too :cool:

Gave up, installed new coil overs since I didn't want to have to put all my tools away for nothing.

I guess I'm going to have it towed to the dealership to see if the techs can pop it out. Sucks that I'm gonna have to drop the cash to do that, but I'm somewhat afraid to drive it with no pinch bolt or castle nut on the ball joint. Unless someone tells me different that it would be OK to drive for like 5 miles. lol took the car off jack stands and the driver's side wheel is hitting the fender not driving that poo poo anywhere. new ride height looks good though!

Laminator fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 17, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My mom is interested in a new car but wants a station wagon so I'm thinking of the current gen Impreza wagon. Am I right in thinking that overall reliability wise they are pretty ok? She doesn't really go on the highway and does mostly city driving so I don't think the CVT will be stressed too much.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Probably a long shot but does anyone inadvertently hit their panic button on the key all the loving time?

Without fail when I’m going to leave my house or enter my house and am going for my house key, I end up hitting that stupid panic button. It’s probably like an iPhone and I’m just holding it wrong...just wondering if anyone else has had this stupid issue.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Would a cat-back exhaust made for 2008-2014 WRXs fit a 2015-2019 WRX?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Some mfgs have new part numbers but some don't. Assuming it's for a sedan i think it should.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

jamal posted:

Some mfgs have new part numbers but some don't. Assuming it's for a sedan i think it should.

Part number is HS02SW1GTT. Saw someone on Craigslist selling one for kind of cheap so I was curious.

The part numbers are different so I'm guessing they are not the same.

net work error fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 17, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

net work error posted:

Would a cat-back exhaust made for 2008-2014 WRXs fit a 2015-2019 WRX?

Depends. Feel like cutting your bumper and moving the odd exhaust mount about?

Also some kits have different flanges and routing which will prove "interesting"

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Ok so I am seriously perplexed here. Somehow in the process of getting my car rolled back to but put on a flatbed, my driver's side CV axle literally fell apart - like there are bearings and oil just spilled out. It's making getting a tow interesting.

E: vvvv what's up CV axles falling out when you do suspension work buddy

Laminator fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
ETA: ^^^ Fuckin CV Sunday

My 04 Outback H6 is eating front driver's side inboard CV joints. Please help.

A little back story: I swapped engines about 18 months / 10k mi ago and during the swap the driver's side axle stub popped out. I popped it back into place and drove about a year on it without issue.
Over Xmas-New Years I replaced the struts, and when I disconnected the strut from the knuckle the weight of the unsupported knuckle dislocated the inboard CV joint. Since I wasn't planning on axles, I bought a POS parts store axle which had clearly been dropped at some point in it's shelf-life because the galvanized flange behind the tone ring was bent. Since I was sick of working on the car and didn't want to make another trip to the parts store I just bent the flange back. Every thing seemed okay, so I finished the job and had the car aligned.

A few days later, a vibration started to develop. I blamed it on the bent flange so I ordered a Cardone axle that had worked well on the other side a few years prior online. The vibration continued to worsen while I waited for a change to install the axle. Installed the axle (also a POS, the inboard cups were different from my other axle and I had to file the threads and clean up the split pin hole to fit it it over the axle stub). Got the axle installed and the first test drive was amazing. Even the vibration at idle endemic to aftermarket axles was gone. Unfortunately the vibration came back within 50 miles, and continued to worsen over the last month so I ordered a replacement from the vendor.

Today I installed axle #3. The pulled axle showed signs of the inboard cv cup getting really hot, discoloring in a couple of spots. The good news was the new axle looked like the first Cardone axle I had order and the finish was better and installed easily. Unfortunately, as soon as I hit 40mph the vibration returned.

My fear is that the front diff is hosed because the vibration is a little worse on decel. I couldn't feel anything beyond a tiny bit of inline play in the axle stub but it was similar to the amount on the passenger side. Are there any other things I could be checking?

I just put in new struts and everything else is good so I'd like to keep the car but I really don't to gently caress with replacing the front diff. I'd probably just sell it cheap and buy a loving prius instead.