Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And didn't even have the balls of Dwarf Fortress to have different names for every single shade of stone.

I'm getting urges to play Dwarf Fortress again. Probably caused by alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Dwarf Fortress is at least nice enough to give you a use for all that stone. Some of it is more valuable that others but even the lowest value stuff you can turn into bricks, cups, and earrings. While nobody is entirely sure what they do with them the humans have a seemingly bottomless appetite for -microcline goblets- and will offer up even their finest silks and gold for them.

A lot of the stuff you can dig up in Starbound is just, like...there.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's the main difference, yes. No one would care that there's fifty kinds of not-sand if we could still make glass out of any of it instead of needing the one specific kind.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah and a lot of it also comes in a trillion different colors none of which actually stack.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Dwarf fortress just went up on Steam btw. :psyduck:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So you're making Starbound but Good? I wish you luck.

Also Disastronauts is a great name.

Please include Ty's head on a pike as an easter egg. That guy ruined a potentially great game and is a huge douche. If that's too unprofessional then a jab at him in some lore entry would suffice.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 13, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

wafflemoose posted:

Please include Ty's head on a pike as an easter egg. That guy ruined a potentially great game and is a huge douche.

that seems pretty unprofessional, i think maybe a snide jab at him in the lore would be better.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

that seems pretty unprofessional, i think maybe a snide jab at him in the lore would be better.

Yeah, you're probably right. A lore entry taking the piss out of him would be better. Maybe also a jab at the Frackin Universe mod creator since that guy's a jackass as well.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

*money flies out of wallet*

No wait come back!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

*money flies out of wallet*

No wait come back!
No price yet and its release date is, and I quote

"time is subjective"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

wafflemoose posted:

Yeah, you're probably right. A lore entry taking the piss out of him would be better. Maybe also a jab at the Frackin Universe mod creator since that guy's a jackass as well.

Now if someone deserves their head on a spike, it's Frackin' Universe guy.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
i'd rather not make any mention of it tbh. it's important to me the game has its own identity and grows on its own merit, making any digs like that i feel would be limiting its potential

i did consider putting in a crude penguin snowman on the tutorial planet and having a sign say "there are no penguins in space". but even that's pushing it

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 13, 2019

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Rhopunzel posted:

i'd rather not make any mention of it tbh. it's important to me the game has its own identity and grows on its own merit, making any digs like that i feel would be setting it up to never eclipse its potential

i did consider putting in a crude penguin snowman on the tutorial planet and having a sign say "there are no penguins in space". but even that's pushing it

I think some nod would be a good thing though. You did work on Starbound after all.

On an unrelated tangent, did you also work on River City Ransom Underground? I spotted some graffiti that says WAZ and immediately thought of Starbound. Apparently that's your catchphrase?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

wafflemoose posted:

I think some nod would be a good thing though. You did work on Starbound after all.

On an unrelated tangent, did you also work on River City Ransom Underground? I spotted some graffiti that says WAZ and immediately thought of Starbound. Apparently that's your catchphrase?

i did not, but a bunch of people noticed and asked me about it! i tweeted about it but never really got an answer. i'd love to know because that'd be hilarious if that's the case. otherwise i just assumed it was a weird coincidence

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Now if someone deserves their head on a spike, it's Frackin' Universe guy.

I did consider making a devil imp creature named Sayten, with the description "Like all devils, it is incapable of creating anything for itself", but 1) creating creatures in SB modding is an awful, awful process and 2) meh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shoehead posted:

Apparently Toady is broke from medical bills.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
First Lowtax, now Toady. I wonder which minor internet celebrity will be destroyed by the US medical system next.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

First Lowtax, now Toady. I wonder which minor internet celebrity will be destroyed by the US medical system next.

well hey, i'm no celebrity but my kidney treatment is reliant on the US government subsidising it so there's that

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

Great username post combo.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Nothing to see here...

Weavered fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 14, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

CoffeeBooze posted:

well toady didn't get destroyed, i think it was his brother got almost destroyed and they went 'yikes'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah the dwarf fort release is mainly a 20 buck bundle to give people some fancy extras while letting them easily support the devs, most of this being spurred by them feeling kind of shaken in regards to their financial situation for varying reasons, the primary being medical-related bills

an easy to spend 20 dollars, i must say

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Allegedly, according the to Kitfox Discord, Dwarf Fortress Steam is gonna be 20 dolla and will likely be out when the next big version of DF releases, so a couple of months at the earliest. There's also a lot of new tech going into the new tilesets, some stuff that isn't possible with current tilesets.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the work on the tileset is definitely more than we've had access to before and along with that there'll be steam workshop integration for easy modding.

it's gonna be a lot more worth it than whatever the gently caress i spent on starbound

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

overhand throwing money at toady's face to own the 'fish

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Patware posted:

overhand throwing money at toady's face to own the 'fish

Toady kind of a little bit deserves it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Toady kind of a little bit deserves it.

oh yeah i'm not being ironic

i have a friend who donates to toady every time a game dev shows their rear end as a karmic counterweight

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

the working title of the game is disastronauts for now, unless we ever think of something better

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rhopunzel posted:

the working title of the game is disastronauts for now, unless we ever think of something better

Never gonna find something better than a suggestion solicited from this thread.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I can only think of DisaStars which is more of a copycat of the original one you're using.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

if anyone knows of a pixel artist who'd be interested in joining our team, let me know, we could use one more. the team already features our very own cicadas from this thread as lead artist, as well as i said no and myself

oh i forgot to mention: the company's called Igloosoft Games. it's all official and running now

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 25, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's times like this I regret not having an up-to-date demo reel, though to be fair I guess pixel art isn't my focus. It's what I did before 3D though, and I dipped back into the well again when I was still working on Starbound mods.

I made these idiots:

And some other stuff non-Starbound related, I'll PM you.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 25, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sounds neat, and i'm glad you all are getting something together

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

And some other stuff non-Starbound related, I'll PM you.
Now I'm imagining your already sweet space ship with a sloshing pool of moon juice space fuel at the top, to go along with the fancy drinking bug.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if it did not immediately make you think of Hedonismbot...

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Did anyone else's modded starbound install break? something updated and it crashes on loading now.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh boy did whatshisname the insane bitchbaby modder pitch another fit and change the coding again?
E: by which I mean the mod thief whose name I refuse to memorize because gently caress him

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 30, 2019

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

what do you guys think of "Earthshine" for a title

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

two words put next to eachother without a space is getting a little stale as a game title but that one already existed so maybe it's not so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh No! Space Is Trying To Kill Me!