Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I just ordered the DVD of Bergman's Face to Face since Amazon had it marked down to $16, so all of you can thank me when Olive Films announces their Signature Edition next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My copy of Saraband in the Ingmar Bergman set came scratched and Smiles of a Summer Night started skipping 12 minutes in.

Gotta say, I'm less than thrilled with this.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

My copy of Saraband in the Ingmar Bergman set came scratched and Smiles of a Summer Night started skipping 12 minutes in.

Gotta say, I'm less than thrilled with this.

Email mulvaney@criterion.com and they’ll send replacement discs.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Email mulvaney@criterion.com and they’ll send replacement discs.

Yeah, I sent them an email... I'll try watching the next disc and pray it doesn't cause my tv to burst into flames.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Crisis is skipping for me at about 75mins in.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Should I jump around the Bergman set or do it in order?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unmature posted:

Should I jump around the Bergman set or do it in order?

Trust Criterion. A lot of his early films aren’t that great. It results in alternating between the essentials, underrated, and his duds. I’m glad I watched this way since it wasn’t as tedious as it could have been at first.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ok starting with Smiles of a Summer Night and loving it

Unmature fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 30, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Per Criterion Forum, this year’s San Francisco Silent Film Festival schedule is out and Buster Keaton’s The Cameraman will be screened from a new 4K restoration by Criterion and Warner Bros.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Criterion Channel's latest hint for Movie of the Week:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1105815229081022472

Jim Jarmusch's Night On Earth

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

My first thought was Network.

Man, now I wanna watch Network again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The email says "For All Mankind" which I've been jonesing to watch again since seeing "Apollo 11" on the weekend.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

The email says "For All Mankind" which I've been jonesing to watch again since seeing "Apollo 11" on the weekend.

You are correct. I was mistaken, the Criterion Collection did that as a teaser, and I thought it was the Channel hint.

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1105848150672228352

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Am I misremembering or was Scorsese’s After Hours teased for an upcoming release?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Four movies deep into the Bergman set and boy is this purchase already worth it.

It’s nice to have the incredible Smiles of a Summer Night and Wild Strawberries hold up the comparatively boring Crisis and A Ship to India, but already hitting that 50% great V not great ratio is a liiiittle worrisome.

What percentage of the films in the set would you say are stone cold classics vs movies that he made and should be included but aren’t as good?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unmature posted:

Four movies deep into the Bergman set and boy is this purchase already worth it.

It’s nice to have the incredible Smiles of a Summer Night and Wild Strawberries hold up the comparatively boring Crisis and A Ship to India, but already hitting that 50% great V not great ratio is a liiiittle worrisome.

What percentage of the films in the set would you say are stone cold classics vs movies that he made and should be included but aren’t as good?

I'd rank at least 15 of them as essential. I think the two that surprised me the most were From the Life of the Marionettes and The Rite, which are amazing films. I'm curious to what others think about All These Women and The Serpent's Egg since I was actually surprised I liked them, even if they're pretty drat flawed. But the only ones I outright disliked were The Touch and Summer with Monika.

This is semi-subjective, but my rankings...

Best:
Cries and Whispers
Fanny and Alexander
Faro Document
From the Life of the Marionettes
Persona
The Rite
Scenes from a Marriage (watched only the miniseries)
The Seventh Seal
Shame
The Silence
Through a Glass Darkly
To Joy
The Virgin Spring
Wild Strawberries
Winter Light

Very Good:
After the Rehearsal
Autumn Sonata
Brink of Life
Crisis
Dreams
Faro Document 1979
Hour of the Wolf
A Lesson in Love
The Magic Flute
The Magician
The Passion of Anna
Saraband
Smiles of a Summer Night
Summer Interlude

Alright/Better than expected:
All These Women
The Devil's Eye
Port of Call
Sawdust and Tinsel
The Serpent's Egg

Meh:
A Ship to India
Summer with Monika
Thirst
Waiting Women

Hot Garbage:
The Touch

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If Smiles of a Summer Night is mid-tier to you then I’m excited because I thought that was an ANumberOneDukeOfNewYorkStoneCold Classic

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I went in to All These Women ready to be pleasantly surprised, and I’m sorry to say it didn’t happen. But others have done that admirably - I loved Saraband and Dreams, two nobody seems to discuss much.

The hit rate definitely gets better in the First Centerpiece, which I thought was almost wholly remarkable (sorry again, Egbert, but I didn’t like Marionettes very much!). I wasn’t a Bergman fan before diving into the set, but I’m definitely one now. The run of Faro-set films and the Faith trilogy is astonishing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I had never seen a Bergman film before two days ago and I’m glad I get to experience it with this set

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wong Box When

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just watched For All Mankind and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a little confusing with how they combined all missions into one and sometimes presented sequences that appeared to be back-to-back, but in fact took place on separate missions entirely. Or footage from one mission with audio from another overlayed. In the special features there is a version of the film "with identifiers" that puts astronaut names on the screen and I think it helps add a lot of context to the scenes, as does enabling subtitles that identify the narrators.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think the point of the movie is to combine all the footage to provide an overall portrait of what travelling to the moon is/was like, rather than a literal document of each separate trip.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think the point of the movie is to combine all the footage to provide an overall portrait of what travelling to the moon is/was like, rather than a literal document of each separate trip.

Oh for sure. It makes its intentions clear and it definitely captures the feeling of a round trip to the moon. Still doesn't stop my brain from constantly going "wait, who's that? What mission is that?"

I really want to see the new Apollo movie after seeing this.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 14, 2019

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My Bergman rankings. A lot of these I haven't seen in a while (only up to disc 7 in the box) so some of these are likely to change.

Masterpiece:
Fanny and Alexander
Scenes from a Marriage
Shame
Winter Light
Through a Glass Darkly
Smiles of a Summer Night
Sawdust and Tinsel
Saraband
Autumn Sonata

Great:
Thirst
The Silence
Wild Strawberries
The Virgin Spring
Persona
The Seventh Seal
Summer With Monika

Very Good:
Cries and Whispers
In the Presence of a Clown (TV)
Brink of Life
Dreams
Hustruskolan (TV)
Hour of the Wolf

Good:
The Ghost Sonata (TV)
Summer Interlude
Ovader (TV)
The Last Gasp (TV)
The Passion of Anna
Port of Call
A Ship to India
The Magician
A Dream Play (TV)
Bildmakarna (TV)
Mr. Sleeman Is Coming (TV)
The Blessed Ones (TV)
The Venetian (TV)
Secrets of Women
Prison
Markisinnan de Sade (TV)
The Making of Fanny and Alexander
To Joy
The Magic Flute
The Rite
Harald & Harald (short)
The Serpent's Egg

Fair:
Face to Face
Music in Darkness
It Rains on Our Love
Faro dokument
Faro dokument 1979
From the Life of Marionettes
A Lesson in Love
Karin's Face (short)

Poor:
The Devil's Eye
Crisis
After the Rehearsal
The Touch
The Dance of the Damned Women (short)
This Can't Happen Here

Godawful:
All These Women

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I've barely scratched the surface of Bergman's work but I'm judging these lists based on where Autumn Sonata is placed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd like to think David Lynch based Frank Booth on Elliot Gould's character from The Touch.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I still haven’t gotten to any movies in my Bergman box, I feel mildly ashamed

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

K. Waste posted:

Same

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I still haven't even bought a Bergman box yet, you fucks.

I feel so left out. :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

K. Waste posted:

I wouldn't be ashamed. I pre-ordered mine from B&N in November and I've been spreading out the films since receiving it on the 20th. It's March 14 and I still have Fanny & Alexander (and the making-of) to watch. On top of re-watching all the films with commentaries and the remaining extras. Hell, I still have the book to read on top of that. Plus watching the DVD of Face to Face.

This isn't really the sort of set you binge on, anyways. Maybe take advantage of some of the double features, but I can't imagine watching all five hours of Scenes with a Marriage without being a wreck afterwards or all three Faith Trilogy films in one night.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Watching the full Scenes from a Marriage in the cinema was a hoot.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Fanny and Alexander is one of my favorite films. It's at times absolutely uplifting and others just horribly depressing. It's full of interesting characters and stories and so much just sticks with you.

The only thing is the end is a little long. That loving speech.

The thing that stood out to me was the title. I've heard people mention how they thought it was odd given how Alexander has a bigger role than Fanny, but really, the title is about them as a unit.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd rank at least 15 of them as essential. I think the two that surprised me the most were From the Life of the Marionettes and The Rite, which are amazing films. I'm curious to what others think about All These Women and The Serpent's Egg since I was actually surprised I liked them, even if they're pretty drat flawed. But the only ones I outright disliked were The Touch and Summer with Monika.

Summer With Monika is such a weird movie. I think it's definitely memorable (if only because Harriet Andersson is addictive) but I can't really argue with you either. The film is both a bit amateurish and refreshingly anarchic with its alienation from civilization, but additionally it's been a while since I've seen a film that seems to both love women and hate them this much, with weird manipulative moralizing to boot.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Cemetry Gator posted:

Fanny and Alexander is one of my favorite films. It's at times absolutely uplifting and others just horribly depressing. It's full of interesting characters and stories and so much just sticks with you.

The only thing is the end is a little long. That loving speech.

The thing that stood out to me was the title. I've heard people mention how they thought it was odd given how Alexander has a bigger role than Fanny, but really, the title is about them as a unit.

I forget where I read this (possibly in the book): there was speculation it was partially a dig at Bergman’s own sister who he didn’t get along with. “Let me make a film about a brother and sister, name it after the brother and sister, but jokes on you the sister isn’t in it very much” is a pretty weird burn.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
And it's one of the greatest movies ever.

Take that, sis.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New ones:

Bergman Faith Trilogy reissue (still with the same ugly cover)
Swing Time
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
L’humanité
War and Peace
La vie de Jésus

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Bergman Faith Trilogy reissue (still with the same ugly cover)

The chamber drama trilogy with the spider cover? Oh man I love it!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What is the order of the films in the Bergman box set?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Franchescanado posted:

What is the order of the films in the Bergman box set?

Same order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are many of Bergman’s films that were left out if the box set essential? I figure if I make it through this thing (currently on Summer Interlude) I may as well keep going