Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed

Martytoof posted:

I'm going to submit a bug report to Apple but was just wondering whether anyone else experienced same.

Sorry, can't say I've ever seen this on any of mine.

Now for a fun story with a question!

TL;DR - Is there a way to restore a drive after it's been set as a time machine?

More details:

So my boss has an external drive called 'backup'. Although it isn't actually a backup because that implies it's a copy of other data. In reality it's just an archive of older but still valuable and important data. He also has another external drive, also called 'backup'. This is his time machine drive for his osx. I didn't know all of this before, but I do now.

A few days ago I replaced his internal hdd with a shiny new ssd as a favour and everything went smoothly. 'No problems' I thought and I went off for a long weekend break.

While I'm away he proceeds to put the non-backup backup in the iMac, thinking it's the time machine back up and osx asks him 'do you want to use this disk as your time machine?'

He clicks 'yes'.

'Erasing disk' is the message that comes up.

Now I'm usually doing data science stuff for distributed blah blah blah so I'm not any expert on this but I as far as I can tell all that's changed is the partition table, and the data is all still there. Is there any way to undo this hilarious mistake and just get the old storage partition back? Does Time Machine have any ability to 'undo'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
System Preferences > Time Machine > Select Disk > Remove Disk

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
If that's true that's amazing and simple and I will get you and av cert or forums thing your choice, but I'm cautious of doing something that might cause irreversible issues. So to clarify, will that revert the disk to how it was before, with the previous data accessible and all?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Horse Inspector posted:

If that's true that's amazing and simple and I will get you and av cert or forums thing your choice, but I'm cautious of doing something that might cause irreversible issues. So to clarify, will that revert the disk to how it was before, with the previous data accessible and all?

I don't think so, it will just remove the drive from Time Machine's current backup destinations and *might* remove the current time machine data on it.

If Time machine said it erased the disk during the setup procedure, you'll probably need some recovery software to get what might still be on there. If Time Machine has made a current backup of the system drive, then it may have overwritten some of the data that was deleted.

Edit: You may want to eject the drive and disconnect it to prevent time machine from continuously backing up to it and overwriting deleted data until you get it figured out.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
This is pretty much exactly what I thought would be the situation. Not knowing much about Time Machine I was hoping osx might have an escape plan. Oh well someone learned a very important lesson about redundancy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Download the demo of Disk Drill and see if it can recover any files for you.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Apple announces its March Event for March 25th :siren:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/03/11/apple-announces-march-25-its-show-time-event

News and video services, possibly new hardware. Maybe.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Boooring

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
As long as they don't gently caress up the tvOS with their lovely bloatware content packaging solution. I'm very much not interested in whatever it is that they have to offer.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I sure am getting tired of Finder's complete inability to remember window size for more than about three minutes.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I used to use an app called Finder Minder that forced Finder windows to be a specific size and location when you created them, but it broke with the last OS update so I gave it up. I need to find a replacement.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

American McGay posted:

As long as they don't gently caress up the tvOS with their lovely bloatware content packaging solution. I'm very much not interested in whatever it is that they have to offer.

That seems unlikely. My guess is their streaming package will just be another channel on Apple TV.

If they offer a streaming package and a better interface than PS Vue or DirecTV Now at a lower price point, I'd subscribe immediately. I'd love to see them fix the deficiencies of those platforms and introduce a nicer solution. I'd even pay more in that case.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Anton Chigurh posted:

That seems unlikely. My guess is their streaming package will just be another channel on Apple TV.

If they offer a streaming package and a better interface than PS Vue or DirecTV Now at a lower price point, I'd subscribe immediately. I'd love to see them fix the deficiencies of those platforms and introduce a nicer solution. I'd even pay more in that case.

YouTube TV has a pretty useable interface, and, to me, it's the best overall quality service.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've used Sling, Vue, and YouTube TV, and YouTube TV has been the only thing that's stuck - we're able to share the family account with some friends love the unlimited cloud DVR storage, and the interface is definitely better than the other two.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I like direct TV now because of the integration with all the apps like HBO now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anton Chigurh posted:

DirecTV Now is going up by $10 next month so I'm waiting to see what Apple has now before I make the switch.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Gay Retard posted:

I've used Sling, Vue, and YouTube TV, and YouTube TV has been the only thing that's stuck - we're able to share the family account with some friends love the unlimited cloud DVR storage, and the interface is definitely better than the other two.

Does YouTube TV's cloud DVR allow you to set the recording time of the beginning or ending time of a show? Neither PS Vue nor Direct TV Now do, and shows will get cut off.

For example, the networks often allot only 3 hours to an NFL football game, but they often go longer than that. Currently, the only way to be sure to record the end of those games is to record the show after it in the guide. They don't allow you to simply add 30 minutes or an hour to the recording time. It's annoying as hell, since that's a basic function built into every hardware DVR since the first TiVo, I believe.

I still prefer my TiVo over any cloud DVR I've tried for the fast commercial skipping, even if I have to do it manually. Only recently did PS Vue even allow you to see a thumbnail picture of whatever you were trying to fast forward through. Before that you just had to guess at commercial lengths and then skip forward or back 15 seconds once you got close.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MarcusSA posted:

I like direct TV now because of the integration with all the apps like HBO now.

It does have great pricing for the pay channels. HBO or Cinemax are only $5/mo. and Showtime or Starz are $8/mo. That's a lot less than you pay elsewhere.

It was the lovely 20 hours of cloud DVR storage for DirecTV Now that pushed me over to PS Vue. If they ever make it unlimited or even an reasonable amount, I'd go back to DirecTV Now, assuming whatever Apple comes up with is a non-starter.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Anton Chigurh posted:

Does YouTube TV's cloud DVR allow you to set the recording time of the beginning or ending time of a show? Neither PS Vue nor Direct TV Now do, and shows will get cut off.

For example, the networks often allot only 3 hours to an NFL football game, but they often go longer than that. Currently, the only way to be sure to record the end of those games is to record the show after it in the guide. They don't allow you to simply add 30 minutes or an hour to the recording time. It's annoying as hell, since that's a basic function built into every hardware DVR since the first TiVo, I believe.

Not the NFL but I’ve done this with other sports games and haven’t run into any issue with YouTube TV. It always keeps recording automatically for any sports event as far as I can tell. Not sure on adding recording time manually though.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Anton Chigurh posted:

I still prefer my TiVo over any cloud DVR I've tried for the fast commercial skipping, even if I have to do it manually. Only recently did PS Vue even allow you to see a thumbnail picture of whatever you were trying to fast forward through. Before that you just had to guess at commercial lengths and then skip forward or back 15 seconds once you got close.

I record a lot of sports on YTTV. I’ve never had one get cut short.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking to use AWS Glacier for secondary backup. There's the Freeze App that interfaces directly with Glacier, or there's various other apps (Transmit, Cloudberry, Arq, etc) that upload straight to 'regular' S3 and then using a lifecycle rule to move the files from 'regular' S3 to Glacier. Apparently this has something to do with the way that Glacier is structured apparently, you can't upload 'directly' to them otherwise unless you use a Glacier-specific client (like Freeze). Has anyone rolled their own backup with Glacier that they can weigh-in on? I like the idea of using Freeze because it simplifies the process since I can just connect directly and start moving files, but is there a big advantage to using a different client to connect to 'regular' S3 and using lifecycle rules to pass it into Glacier?

I already use iCloud as my primary and 'active' backup. The reason I'm using Glacier instead of Backblaze or whatever is because I'm consolidating 'long-term' storage files from many different machines (some Windows as well) and it's a secondary backup so I'm okay with manually uploading folders from time-to-time.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm looking for a way to have OSX automatically reconnect to a AFP or SMB drive whenever I reconnect to my home wifi address - I'm honestly kinda surprised something like this isn't already baked into the OS. Does anybody know of an up to date program that can do this? Most of the solutions I've found were abandonware.

Violator
May 15, 2003

If I connect to my iMac from my MBP in the Finder, it shows all of the externally connected drives on my iMac. But it doesn't show the internal SSD. I also can't seem to disconnect; if I click the Disconnect button the window refreshes and the drives still appear. Any suggestions?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

I'm looking for a way to have OSX automatically reconnect to a AFP or SMB drive whenever I reconnect to my home wifi address - I'm honestly kinda surprised something like this isn't already baked into the OS. Does anybody know of an up to date program that can do this? Most of the solutions I've found were abandonware.

Auto Mounter on the App Store?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How can I count the total number of files contained inside my Photos Library?

e: Apparently you can cd to it like a folder and then find . -type f | wc -l

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 14, 2019

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

PRADA SLUT posted:

How can I count the total number of files contained inside my Photos Library?

e: Apparently you can cd to it like a folder and then find . -type f | wc -l

It's displayed at the bottom of the main photos view. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're looking for...

Violator
May 15, 2003

Violator posted:

If I connect to my iMac from my MBP in the Finder, it shows all of the externally connected drives on my iMac. But it doesn't show the internal SSD. I also can't seem to disconnect; if I click the Disconnect button the window refreshes and the drives still appear. Any suggestions?

I turned on SMB sharing and now all volumes appear. Previously I just had AFP turned on. For some reason I thought I read something where SMB was less secure so I turned it off? But I guess it's moot since it's all on my local network.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking to use AWS Glacier for secondary backup. There's the Freeze App that interfaces directly with Glacier, or there's various other apps (Transmit, Cloudberry, Arq, etc) that upload straight to 'regular' S3 and then using a lifecycle rule to move the files from 'regular' S3 to Glacier. Apparently this has something to do with the way that Glacier is structured apparently, you can't upload 'directly' to them otherwise unless you use a Glacier-specific client (like Freeze). Has anyone rolled their own backup with Glacier that they can weigh-in on? I like the idea of using Freeze because it simplifies the process since I can just connect directly and start moving files, but is there a big advantage to using a different client to connect to 'regular' S3 and using lifecycle rules to pass it into Glacier?

Using lifecycle rules is the best way. Roughly put: Glacier is basically tape storage - so it's not real time, you're sending a request to aws to send a file to tape, and that'll get executed sometime soon (think minutes in wait time) Same for retrieval. S3 is the buffer/temporary storage.

Also note that retrieving files from glacier is expensive - glacier is really best for files you only might need again.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Can you do Chrome style site searching in Safari? In Chrome, I can type "yt" in the search bar, hit tab, and then enter the search term I want and hit enter to go to YouTube and search the site for that term in one action. It eliminates having to go to the site first before entering the search term.

Edit: Apparently the Safari Extension Omnikey accomplishes this.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 15, 2019

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Violator posted:

For some reason I thought I read something where SMB was less secure so I turned it off?

You were probably reading about SMBv1. I don't know enough to get into details, but it has big performance and security issues compared to later versions. Windows 10 and other software are starting to disable v1 by default, so it's slowly on the way out.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gunder posted:

Can you do Chrome style site searching in Safari? In Chrome, I can type "yt" in the search bar, hit tab, and then enter the search term I want and hit enter to go to YouTube and search the site for that term in one action. It eliminates having to go to the site first before entering the search term.

If you set DuckDuckGo as your search engine you can do "!yt Godzilla trailer" to get search on the external site. There's like 200 sites they support and you can also do "!g Godzilla trailer" to search Google if DDG results are insufficient. I like DDG because of the privacy and because the same shortcuts work on desktop and iOS.

Toast Museum posted:

You were probably reading about SMBv1. I don't know enough to get into details, but it has big performance and security issues compared to later versions. Windows 10 and other software are starting to disable v1 by default, so it's slowly on the way out.

Ah, thanks.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gunder posted:

Does this now work on whatever the newest Safari is? I had a different extension for this functionality and couldn’t find one that had been updated to use Safari’s new extension system.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

TACD posted:

Does this now work on whatever the newest Safari is? I had a different extension for this functionality and couldn’t find one that had been updated to use Safari’s new extension system.

Yes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Violator posted:

If you set DuckDuckGo as your search engine you can do "!yt Godzilla trailer" to get search on the external site. There's like 200 sites they support and you can also do "!g Godzilla trailer" to search Google if DDG results are insufficient. I like DDG because of the privacy and because the same shortcuts work on desktop and iOS.

I've been using DDG for a while and didn't know about these shortcuts. That's great, thanks!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, DDG is great. Their search is not quite as good as Google, but they do make up for it in privacy benefits.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been using the Magic Trackpad for years, but a change in setup means I'm using my laptop on wifi and the bluetooth interference means the trackpad gets disconnected a few times an hour.

I bought a Logitech corded mouse instead now. Of course, the side buttons for back/forward don't work on Safari. Is there a way to set this up without the Logitech / BTT plugins? I just don't really want to install some preference pane for back/forwards buttons on Safari.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

IUG posted:

I've been using the Magic Trackpad for years, but a change in setup means I'm using my laptop on wifi and the bluetooth interference means the trackpad gets disconnected a few times an hour.

I bought a Logitech corded mouse instead now. Of course, the side buttons for back/forward don't work on Safari. Is there a way to set this up without the Logitech / BTT plugins? I just don't really want to install some preference pane for back/forwards buttons on Safari.

Any reason you're averse to prefpanes? Would that aversion include apps? If not, Sensible Side Buttons is free and seems to offer what you want: https://sensible-side-buttons.archagon.net

But I highly doubt there will be a plist file hack to enable additional buttons on third-party devices, since Apple's core hardware doesn't feature those.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This should work fine, thanks. I just remember how bloated Logitech's offering was. I think it was a PrefPane that also opened an app when you wanted to configure it. It was a bloated mess. And I figured BTT was overkill for just two buttons.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Logitech's software prevents the side buttons on my trackball from being recognized as buttons 4 and 5 in WoW, so I basically can't use it. Fortunately I have no actual need for the Logitech software itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

IUG posted:

The magic trackpad can be used corded as well, since you don't seem to mind a cord

Edit: magic trackpad 2, rather