Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Additionally SPACE TRAVEL! would have changed things too. If the Empire can park a fleet of warships beside your world and reign nukes down on your resistance movement, small arms might not be a priority. You need big dollars to be a real threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The Bloop posted:

he's no-son of mine

:aaaaa:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I thought I read in one of the books that blown sand fucks with shields as well

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

hawowanlawow posted:

I thought I read in one of the books that blown sand fucks with shields as well

It is literally what brings down the emperor's shield on his giant ship tent complex, but Paul had to wait for a giant storm and then nuke the shield wall to get any use out of that. It doesn't get mentioned in relation to body shields as far as I know.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

andrew smash posted:

It is literally what brings down the emperor's shield on his giant ship tent complex, but Paul had to wait for a giant storm and then nuke the shield wall to get any use out of that. It doesn't get mentioned in relation to body shields as far as I know.

It's implied that if you're caught in the open during a Dune sandstorm you're hosed anyway, shield or no, rendering the point kind of moot.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Why would that be? Like, were the storms highly charged with ions or something? The Lynch version certainly gives that impression. An electrical storm might be bad for the shield-wearer...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In my understanding sandstorms make a lot of static electricity what with being a dry bunch of sand rubbing against itself.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A "shire sized" charge whatever that means

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thinking of making a westwood games thread in gbs but until then, anyone interested in playing dune 2000 online? I dont remember how to play but thats nit the pointt

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Emperor: Battle for Dune?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

Thinking of making a westwood games thread

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jestery posted:

The idea of killing a fremen and using his own stillsuit to extract his water is a cool mental image

Wouldn’t work very well; IIRC the deathstills actually ground the body to dust to get all the water out.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

exmachina posted:

Large scale movements of men would have been extremely rare before Duke Leto assumed control of Arrakis.

It's mentioned somewhere (might be in the appendices of book 1) that almost all traffic in the empire was on foot or using animals, specifically to control and limit the movement of the rabble population. Only the nobles and their troops had access to vehicles and air transport. Presumably there was no public transport at all.
The Fremen were an exception since they managed to use worms for transport, something that no outsider even imagined was possible.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't remember my physics nearly well enough, but there's something not-quite-static-electricity about glass/scilica (which is what sand is) and silk (and other protein fibers, presumably including sandworms' outer layer) that generate an electromagnetic charge - the name has something to do with rubbing, but I can't for the life of me remember it right now. Problem is, the voltage and capacitance of it is very very small, so I've always assumed that worms use it for a trick to charge itself and then unleesh the so-called shire-sized electric charges somewhat akin to electric eels and other bioelectrogenesist animals.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

I don't remember my physics nearly well enough, but there's something not-quite-static-electricity about glass/scilica (which is what sand is) and silk (and other protein fibers, presumably including sandworms' outer layer) that generate an electromagnetic charge - the name has something to do with rubbing, but I can't for the life of me remember it right now. Problem is, the voltage and capacitance of it is very very small, so I've always assumed that worms use it for a trick to charge itself and then unleesh the so-called shire-sized electric charges somewhat akin to electric eels and other bioelectrogenesist animals.

Triboelectricity. Also produces lightning in thunderstorms (and the charge that zaps you unexpectedly after walking on synthetic carpet). Even though the individual charges are small, they add up.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Zopotantor posted:

Wouldn’t work very well; IIRC the deathstills actually ground the body to dust to get all the water out.

No doubt, I was just navel gazing at the idea of killing a dude on the dunes and stealing as much of his water as possible.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Zopotantor posted:

It's mentioned somewhere (might be in the appendices of book 1) that almost all traffic in the empire was on foot or using animals, specifically to control and limit the movement of the rabble population. Only the nobles and their troops had access to vehicles and air transport. Presumably there was no public transport at all.
The Fremen were an exception since they managed to use worms for transport, something that no outsider even imagined was possible.

Leto notes that he made it even more so.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Had some money from an Amazon gift card, so I bought the entire series on Kindle. Ended up costing about $5. Now I don't have to dig the ol' tattered paperbacks out of a box if I want to reread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Amazon UK has all six books in a bundle for 99p.

drat why can’t the US one have the same!

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Y'all try the Audio books? They actually pretty decent.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Dune-Audiobook/B002V1OF70

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 14, 2019

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tertius Oculum posted:

Y'all try the Audio books? They actually pretty decent.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Dune-Audiobook/B002V1OF70

Is this the one where it starts with a full cast of voice actors and after running out of money the rest of the book is just the (old male) narrator doing a girly voice for jessica

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Temaukel posted:

Is this the one where it starts with a full cast of voice actors and after running out of money the rest of the book is just the (old male) narrator doing a girly voice for jessica

rofl I haven't gotten that far but its possible. Some of the reviews mention that sometimes they stop doing the full voice acting and resume at other times. :psyduck:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

phasmid posted:

Why would that be? Like, were the storms highly charged with ions or something? The Lynch version certainly gives that impression. An electrical storm might be bad for the shield-wearer...
Also this

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ill probably watch the movie, but ill have my arms crossed with a serious look upon my face. I will also wear my stillsuit that I made at home to opening night.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BONGHITZ posted:

ill probably watch the movie, but ill have my arms crossed with a serious look upon my face. I will also wear my stillsuit that I made at home to opening night.

With a little smirk and a wink when you sip on the attached drinking tube

*loud whisper* “IT’S MY RECYCLED PEEEEEEE”

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

With a little smirk and a wink when you sip on the attached drinking tube

*loud whisper* “IT’S MY RECYCLED PEEEEEEE”
Followed by:
*screaming* "STORED IN MY BALLS"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Are any of you artists? I have a cool idea for making a dune themed art thread, but i have no pre-made images and will have to work on it when i get home, or even tomorrow, so i dunno if anyone is an artist by trade or hobby, make and post some dune art. It can be good or bad or anything in between!! Im certainly not good, just seems like it'd be fun for us to draw dune stuff as we see it in our minds eye

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can draw stick figures with improbably large genitals, will that help?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Paul Deez’nutz with an improbably large Usul.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The base of the pillar better be absolutely massive.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Im not recruiting dude lol just soliciting to gauge interest for a related thread idea. Draw stick figure dong dune and post it my friend! I will submit some work of my own if i have time tonight. Tomorrow at the latest.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

E: qne

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I finished heretics. I majorly skimmed it as a teenager. As the plot developed toward the end, and the end itself, I rather enjoyed.

Starting chapterhouse now lol. Never read this one. We'll see if it gets better. Most of heretics was kinda rough

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I don't know about posting goon art but spec or concept art as long as credited or something could be interesting.Depending on the artist Dune goes from medieval-renaissance inspired (landsknecht floppy hats on sardaukars) to a hyper technological nightmare ( the Baron harkonnen palace).

I always had trouble to image ornythopers so the work of alex jay brady helped a lot https://twitter.com/AlexJayBrady

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune 2000 informed me what ornithopters look like.

something like a mosquito mixed with a helicopter with flapping wings.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

prototype of my still suit, still working on the aesthetic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just finished God-Emperor of Dune, I finally see what you mean about Frank having some weird ideas about sex.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just finished God-Emperor of Dune, I finally see what you mean about Frank having some weird ideas about sex.

Because Paul getting :dong: watching naked teenage Alia knife fighting in Dune Messiah wasn't :yikes: or anything?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's a sci fi author, that's just par for the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though it sounds like a great example of rolling a critical on a skill check when you climb a wall so hard you make an onlooker orgasm.