Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was going to defer to the FAA before remembering this is Trump's FAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gibfender posted:

Feel like this video demonstrates the very essence of this threads current title. I can't believe one crew can make so many fuckups in such a short time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Yw87l3Atw

Wow, that’s fascinating. Got any other links to “holy poo poo how can this crew be that dumb” animations?

I’m probably going to just watch these at work instead of doing anything useful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RandomPauI posted:

I was going to defer to the FAA before remembering this is Trump's FAA.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948195478428102657

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wow, that’s fascinating. Got any other links to “holy poo poo how can this crew be that dumb” animations?

I’m probably going to just watch these at work instead of doing anything useful.

So there's another one from the NTSB that fits that exact criteria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GokKYNOcp20

Or else there's a series of case studies from the Air Safety Institute looking at various GA incidents https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCC59953860B62145

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Feature new to the 737 MAX:

- Automatic knolling

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The human condition, post event report posted:

Oh no no
[sound of impact]

There has to be a lot of pilots like that on private jets, that barely make it alive every day. And private flying is becoming more prevalent and more people want to do it on a first/business class budget. Probably safer to go by Max 8.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
India just grounded all MAX 8 flights in their airspace: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/all-boeing-737-max-8-aircraft-in-india-will-be-grounded-by-4-pm-today-says-dgca-official-2006734

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Canada too, just now.

Edit: Garneau is citing new information received this morning, and similarities to the flight profile of the Lion Air crash for the decision.

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 13, 2019

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
How uncommon is it for a country to send a Boeing black-box to Europe for analysis?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/1105861598835544064?s=19

The country with a Boeing Executive as Secretary of Defense is the holdout. Odd! :911:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/chrisgascoigne/status/1105747631664320512

what

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What percentage of airliners have AoA indicators?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Relieved I won’t have to choose between rebooking with fees and flying on a max 8, although probably will anyway since it’s in May and I expect they’ll have a fix by then.

Still be a bit white knuckle-y.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FAA now standing alone fits in with my pessimistic prediction earlier. The normal, rational, science based, safety first attitude of the flying business goes out the window if something is too big to fail.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

priznat posted:

Relieved I won’t have to choose between rebooking with fees and flying on a max 8, although probably will anyway since it’s in May and I expect they’ll have a fix by then.

Still be a bit white knuckle-y.

They crash within the first ~10 minutes, so you’re good for the rest of the flight, inshallah :shepface:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sperglord posted:

How uncommon is it for a country to send a Boeing black-box to Europe for analysis?

That's normal.

edit: The data recorders are usually made by Raytheon or somebody. Doesn't really matter that it's Boeing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just watched the Canada ban press conference. It is kind of cool having an actual astronaut as transport minister sometimes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/1105861598835544064?s=19

The country with a Boeing Executive as Secretary of Defense is the holdout. Odd! :911:

Lots of high level meetings yesterday, probably the decision was made then, but they wanted to give the operators a chance to get their airplanes back to somewhere useful, instead of standing them in Hawaii or whatever.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

What percentage of airliners have AoA indicators?

100% it’s part of the stick shaker/pusher system

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

They have the sensor but is there a cockpit indicator? An AoA indicator is the "optional equipment" that was referred to in that post.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Careful though, there's no actual indicator to say what your AOA is. I've had this argument a lot with one of my colleagues. He's always asking why isn't there one. I think there's a customer option to display it on the 737 EFIS, but I'm not really familiar with that a/c.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How the hell is there not an AoA indicator as part of standard cockpit instrumentation?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

How the hell is there not an AoA indicator as part of standard cockpit instrumentation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y73tnUn6ETY&t=59s

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Sperglord posted:

There are a lot of complicated rules for what countries have authority to do accident investigations, but both BEA in France and AAIB in the UK have good quality investigations like the NTSB.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you're flying into the ground at 400kts, what do you think your AOA is going to be?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Because you’re never flying on a thin enough margin to a stall to warrant one, and on the off chance you do, you’ve got the shaker/pusher system.

On EFIS equipped aircraft there are other tools as well, such as the pitch limit indicator (the yellow eyebrows above the 10s) and a dynamic low speed marking (the low speed red barber pole) on the speed tape, they take AoA into account when it matters and display as needed.

I have flown turbo props that have an AoA gauge and you literally never look at it, because it’s not telling you anything useful in any normal flight regime, it’s just unnecessary clutter on the panel.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

e.pilot posted:

Because you’re never flying on a thin enough margin to a stall to warrant one, and on the off chance you do, you’ve got the shaker/pusher system.

On EFIS equipped aircraft there are other tools as well, such as the pitch limit indicator (the yellow eyebrows above the 10s) and a dynamic low speed marking (the low speed red barber pole) on the speed tape, they take AoA into account when it matters and display as needed.

I have flown turbo props that have an AoA gauge and you literally never look at it, because it’s not telling you anything useful in any normal flight regime, it’s just unnecessary clutter on the panel.

Interesting! Yea, guess I'm just stuck on what I saw with the E-3.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

One of the AoA sensors on the Lion Air crash was stuck reading 20 degrees high, from the preliminary report...

quote:

At 2320 UTC, (0620 on 29 October 2018 LT), the aircraft departed from Jakarta with
intended destination of Pangkal Pinang. The DFDR recorded a difference between left and
right AoA of about 20° and continued until the end of recording. During rotation the left
control column stick shaker activated and continued for most of the flight.
During the flight the SIC asked the controller to confirm the altitude of the aircraft and later
also asked the speed as shown on the controller radar display. The SIC reported experienced
„flight control problem‟.
After the flaps retracted, the DFDR recorded automatic AND trim active followed by flight
crew commanded ANU trim. The automatic AND trim stopped when the flaps extended.
When the flaps retracted to 0, the automatic AND trim and flight crew commanded ANU trim
began again and continued for the remainder of the flight. At 23:31:54 UTC, the DFDR
stopped recording.

If I was a 737 max pilot right now I'd really want to know if one of my AoA sensors was stuck reading 20 degrees sometime before V1. Preferably sometime before pushback...
http://knkt.dephub.go.id/knkt/ntsc_aviation/baru/pre/2018/2018%20-%20035%20-%20PK-LQP%20Preliminary%20Report.pdf (page 9)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If it turns out this whole thing was an overreaction to Airbuses going into alternate law after sensor failures, and the general feeling that was no good because pilots didn't realize what was going on, it's not going to look good. Presumably the reason two AoA sensors are installed is that they have to be redundant in case one of them fails -- therefore, it follows logically that the aircraft must be engineered to behave in a controllable and predictable fashion in the event of such a failure, preferably without a series of complicated steps that could be difficult to accomplish if the plane is trying to push itself nose-down into the loving ground.

A failure of a single redundant sensor should not be able to cause a crash, full stop. Having AoA readout in the cockpit that has to be checked during the takeoff roll seems like an inelegant solution to that problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I feel like there's probably an automated test that could be done by looking at the AoA when the airplane is rolling but still has weight on the nose gear and ensuring that it's within spec.

Then again, the middle of the takeoff roll is probably the worst possible time to be checking for hardware failures

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

One of the AoA sensors on the Lion Air crash was stuck reading 20 degrees high, from the preliminary report...

If I was a 737 max pilot right now I'd really want to know if one of my AoA sensors was stuck reading 20 degrees sometime before V1. Preferably sometime before pushback...
http://knkt.dephub.go.id/knkt/ntsc_aviation/baru/pre/2018/2018%20-%20035%20-%20PK-LQP%20Preliminary%20Report.pdf (page 9)

You'd get a flag on your PFD for a disagree. You won't get it during taxi, because you need enough airspeed to push them straight if they're wonky. Normally a busted AOA isn't going to interfere with you being able to fly the plane. On the max though, maybe it is? In which case a more attention-getting alert doesn't address the fundamental flaw in the system, which is that a busted AOA shouldn't cause the plane to crash if the pilots don't take extraordinary action.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PT6A posted:

Having AoA readout in the cockpit that has to be checked during the takeoff roll seems like an inelegant solution to that problem.

It also wouldn't catch all failure modes. What if the sensor was stuck at 0 instead.

Isn't the real issue the fact that the official Boeing procedure for the problem is too time consuming to troubleshoot and implement in anything other than level flight with ample altitude and that it hasn't been a problem until now because the pilots were able to override the system with control inputs which no longer works on the MAX?

What's the danger of going back to the old behavior with the MAX? Has Boeing said why they have changed this behavior?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like there's probably an automated test that could be done by looking at the AoA when the airplane is rolling but still has weight on the nose gear and ensuring that it's within spec.

Then again, the middle of the takeoff roll is probably the worst possible time to be checking for hardware failures

Yeah, pretty much. Anything that isn't absolutely critical for the pilot to know about is usually inhibited during takeoff until they get airborne. That's pretty universal across all aircraft. A broken AOA sensor is one of those things.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

You'd get a flag on your PFD for a disagree. You won't get it during taxi, because you need enough airspeed to push them straight if they're wonky. Normally a busted AOA isn't going to interfere with you being able to fly the plane. On the max though, maybe it is? In which case a more attention-getting alert doesn't address the fundamental flaw in the system, which is that a busted AOA shouldn't cause the plane to crash if the pilots don't take extraordinary action.

I mean something clearly went horrifically wrong on the Lion air aircraft so maybe that is what was intended.

quote:

At 23:31:09 UTC, the LNI610 PIC advised the ARR controller that the altitude of the
aircraft could not be determined due to all aircraft instruments indicating different
altitudes. The pilot used the call sign of LNI650 during the communication. The
ARR controller acknowledged then stated “LNI610 no restriction”.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Shoudn't there be an AOA DISAGREE message in the EICAS?

ALSO: The 737 NG and MAX both have a customer option AOA gauge that displays at the top right of the EADI on the PFD. It looks just like the one in e.pilot's picture.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I guess we were starting to look bad

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1105899004154515456

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/AliVelshi/status/1105898870356217858

US grounded

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

0toShifty posted:

Shoudn't there be an AOA DISAGREE message in the EICAS?

ALSO: The 737 NG and MAX both have a customer option AOA gauge that displays at the top right of the EADI on the PFD. It looks just like the one in e.pilot's picture.

Maybe the DFDR didn't have that information on the Lion air accident flight? This is what was reported on the aircraft's previous flight:

quote:

The DFDR showed the stick shaker activated during the rotation and remained
active throughout the flight. About 400 feet, the PIC noticed on the Primary Flight
Display (PFD) that the IAS DISAGREE warning appeared.
 The PIC cross checked both PFDs with the standby instrument and determined
that the left PFD had the problem. The flight was handled by the SIC.
 The PIC noticed that as soon the SIC stopped trim input, the aircraft was
automatically trimming aircraft nose down (AND). After three automatic AND
trim occurrences, the SIC commented that the control column was too heavy to
hold back. The PIC moved the STAB TRIM switches to CUT OUT.
 The pilot performed three Non-Normal Checklists (NNCs) consisting of Airspeed
Unreliable, ALT DISAGREE, and Runaway Stabilizer. None of the NNCs
performed contained the instruction “Plan to land at the nearest suitable airport”.
 After parking in Jakarta, the PIC informed the engineer about the aircraft problem
and entered IAS (Indicated Air Speed) and ALT (altitude) Disagree and FEEL
DIFF PRESS (Feel Differential Pressure) light problem on the Aircraft Flight
Maintenance Log (AFML).

Somehow the repairs made the problem worse because instead of getting a light at 400 ft the stick shaker activated the instant they rotated and they fought it the entire accident flight.

edit: Thankfully the max appears to be grounded worldwide now so maybe Boeing will be forced to send out a real fix instead of enabling AoA indicators or some other kludge.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 13, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PT6A posted:

Presumably the reason two AoA sensors are installed is that they have to be redundant in case one of them fails

Two lets one detect the failure but not tolerate it, though. One could disable things like MCAS when that happens, but that seems like trouble in case you actually need that system.

(Three sensors lets one tolerate one failing, and seems like it would have been a saner choice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, when the FAA says a-ok but Trump steps in as the voice of reason in favor of caution... That led to another drop in the share price, perhaps Trump Jr put a short in.