Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vlex posted:

The most on-brand thing for May out of those four options is an extension. She never backs down, I don't even think she knows how.

The problem is that she can't secure an extension without a referendum or an election. And parliament knows this, so depending on how it goes, if she just goes and asks for an extension without a reason, that might not constitute fulfilling the instruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is honestly far stupider than I expected

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JFairfax posted:

parliament TVs streams are loving shite

My stream's about 1-2 minutes behind Owlfancier's posting

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RagnarokZ posted:

This is so much fun.

My home democracy (Danish) is all done in the backrooms and the entire parliamentary play is just that, a play.

So this is loving amazing to watch.

I mean that's usually how ours works too, but hey, we are now STONG AND STRABBLE since May decided an election in 2017 would crush the saboteurs.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I don't quite understand the strategy of anti-Brexit MPs here: doesn't this make Brexit more likely now? As in, won't hard Brexit No Dealers be far more likely to push May's deal through now, if she puts it before the house once again, if the only credible options are May'd deal or no Brexit?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it owns that after already being found in contempt of parliament May might try and push things even further by trying anotehr vote for her deal

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Watch the Guardian's Youtube stream, I find it's been the best one so far

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Vlex posted:

The most on-brand thing for May out of those four options is an extension. She never backs down, I don't even think she knows how.

When she's requesting that extension I'd like to be a fly on the wall and hear the EU discuss how much confidence they have in her actually producing something worthwhile before the EU elections

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

forkboy84 posted:

This is honestly far stupider than I expected

Now that I understand it, it's absolutely hilarious

The government made a motion and then it got amended by a 4 vote majority (in a free vote) into a significantly different motion.

Now the government wants to whip against the amended motion, and now at least one Tory faction is going to be pissed off

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pochoclo posted:

Watch the Guardian's Youtube stream, I find it's been the best one so far

is it HD?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I love our parliament flailing in confusion amongst the dark realities of hell world

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Essentially the government's position is weak at the moment, bercow is getting sick of them, parliament just rejected no deal, may's deal is dead, and we're at the deadline. It's all a bit weird cos what happens is gonna be heavily determined by who puts what amendments and motions up and if/how bercow enforces the prerogative of the house over the government.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

JFairfax posted:

is it HD?

The light bouncing off gapes’ head is blinding yes

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

JFairfax posted:

is it HD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v30wXiZ41Ds

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Holy nuts that was close

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

JFairfax posted:

is it HD?

Yeah up to 1080 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v30wXiZ41Ds

although the source isn't

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
100 Tory abstentions, about 50 Referendumers given they voted against it. Good numbers if you want to stop Brexit.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It's gonna be kinda darkly amusing if after all this there's a desperate third meaningful vote on March 26th and the ERG has to vote for it to make Brexit happen in the first place.

Unicorn amendment (Delay to May 22nd and have a transition period until 2021) just got rejected by 210 votes

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

*sips third beer quietly.*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Amendment F has failed heavily.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

parliament TVs streams are loving shite

Sky News (Youtube) and BBC Parliament (iPlayer) both have it live.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Malthouse magic got recked.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CHOO CHOOOOOOO the Brexit train is off the rails

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Next vote is to pass the entire motion, with amendment A. So we want this to pass, I think. This would be the government getting its motion hijacked by its own rebels and party.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Ayyyyy lmao here we loving go

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1105914875451195393

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol JRM got told to get hosed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

I remember seeing a thing a while back, quite possibly on youtube, which was about how reporters in the uk media have changed.

They used to actually try to get information from people in a sensible manner, pressing them where necessary but not getting all paxman on them.... and now every fucker like Maitliss thinks they need to be shouting at people and poo poo during interviews. Paxman was actually decently good at it as he understood when to press and how to do it but the people who've tried to imitate him are cunts and just don't get it - they apply the same base logic of "get shouty and angry at people" but with none of the nuance or finesse.

Does anybody know where I might have seen this? It seems like something Charlie Brooker might have done on Newswipe but I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ygyucuDeuk

Starts at about 7:10

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
get hosed Malthouse wankers

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

okay this is better than the others.

need to get this poo poo in 4k

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I look forward to reading the book about this week in a couple of years. Good lord.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

So the final vote is on rejecting No Deal forever now?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

OwlFancier posted:

Next vote is to pass the entire motion, with amendment A.

So since A passed in the first place you'd except the entire motion to pass. Unless they voted it in as a poison pill.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I'm loving lost what the gently caress aaaaahhhh :supaburn:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also when bercow asks for an aye/nay shout is that literally just him asking "do we need to go to division on this?"

Brown Moses posted:

In principle, yes, I think. But we still need some actual mechanism to do that.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
So wait hang on the whole motion could now fail due to the amendment that passed?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

yeah, but it doesnt actually *stop* no deal

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mighty Steed posted:

So wait hang on the whole motion could now fail due to the amendment that passed?

yes, but you would expect the whole motion to fall along the same lines as amendment A

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

OwlFancier posted:

Also when bercow asks for an aye/nay shout is that literally just him asking "do we need to go to division on this?"

Yup. They literally need to leave the room and then get back in through two separate entrances where they are counted. Parliamentary procedure in the 21st century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, if he only calls for a full division of the house of there are two sides that aren't massively lop sided.