Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

yook posted:

My favorite part of the Day9 video was the way he kept looking at the wrecked ship and saying it terrified him by being too big because it's both completely silly and something I sympathize with. The immensity of being up close to something as massive as a whale with miles upon miles of water and life underfoot really throws my brain for a loop. It's one of those confused feelings when adrenaline is running but can't quite tease out if it's from excitement or terror, same as thinking about something like skydiving. I'm probably wired for this kind of thing since I've been into lovecraftian cosmic horror since high school.

General fear of the unknown is like horror movie 101 stuff, though. You never show the whole monster until the end because imagination is always worse than reality.
I'm not even sure if it's the invulnerability so much as familiarity breeds contempt. Subnautica's been sitting in my steam library so the Day9 vid prompted me to start playing the game for the first time and I've been going through this arc with it these two weekends (finishing the game today).

At the start I had the super tensed up and slow incursions into murky, deep water with some massive unseen thing calling out until you meet the reefbacks and took a while to approach them, with some amount of wonder and awe. Eventually I passed through enough times that it just became a commute on the way to some other tense, wondrous, point of interest. That's been the whole cycle that's been engrossing me throughout and peaked when first getting into the lost river area with all the beautiful bio-luminescence, teasing fossils, and tension at being trapped in this small confusing space with a ghost leviathan (which I'd only encountered one once by accident at the crater's edge as it chased me 300m to the surface when I was dangling on an emergency inflatable).

What happened is I got lost. I think I went past the same ghost leviathan dozens of times wandering around the cave, plus a bunch of trips past one in open water without realizing it when I moved my primary habitat down there. First I realized they weren't actually all that aggressive, I could just skirt around them in the seamoth and usually be ok. When I swapped over to the prawn, not only was the getting lost worse because of the travel time, but I couldn't nervously skirt by as easily hoping not to be noticed. When it did come after me, it turns out my clompy go-bot rear end could still dance circles around this chucklefuck. He came after me, I'd punch him in the face while dodging or tarzan swing around the corner. I'm not sure he ever actually managed to hit me. That transferred over when I got back in the squishier seamoth only I'd juke him into headbutting a wall instead. Mystery's gone, now he's a set of behaviors and known responses because I had to confront it instead of continuing to avoid and run scared.

Basically the monsters aren't actually that threatening in general, it's mostly presentation, so they dodged the horror game trap of killing the player too many times that it ceases to be scary, but then still tilted their hand with overexposure afterward. The lava area afterward didn't grab me back, it was pretty ugly and videogame-y, so gathering and organizing all the materials for the rocket just got tedious without the drive of opening more of the environment. If the lost river was more straightforward, lava area shorter and the game ended at the last facility without a lot of extra farming, I think it would've been perfect. Right now I'm a little lukewarm just due to how the experience ended once the spell was broken.

I was going to wait on Below Zero getting the official release regardless. Hopefully by then it works on me again and the pacing late-game is better.
I've always been fascinated with how some people feel that you can only have tension if you are perpetually useless, to the point they want even the most robust of upgrades to be meaningless rather than give you a sense of progress.

For all it's turns towards the sterotype there (while it no longer eats an entire reactor rod per water filter use, it's still comically drainy because its "FREE* WATER!"), part of what attracted me to Subnautica in the first place was the fact you do have very real and meaningful growth. Rather than the usual attempt to keep you exactly as ineffectual and starving in the endgame as you were at the start.

Which I guess, is how you end up with people upset that building a robot suit prevents instant death when a sea dragon takes offense to you, rather than act as a glorified oxygen tank.

I wonder how many people who fondly refer to games like System Shock 2 for how scary they are, are just willingly overlooking that game also making you one of the most absurdly overpowered characters of all time past the first half hour? Yet it's still filled with genuine tension even on a replay years later (if you can get past the old graphics, or let them add to the experience)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Same. It was more interesting and atmospheric then scary. The first night when I went out the bottom of the pod and saw all the cool lighting and rich creatures was awe-inspiring. And let's be real, most people playing for an audience are going to ham it up for entertainment purposes.

I felt the exact same way. I've never been anywhere near an ocean but I had no fear of it at all. I was honestly surprised to read the thread and hear that people found the game frightening. I got a couple of jump scares from Reapers, but other than that I found the game pretty relaxing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The majority of US citizens live fairly close to large, natural bodies of water but we do love horror-movies about the ocean or being underwater or drowning, in general.

I keep forgetting that some of those states in the middle are practically empty.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

yook posted:

General fear of the unknown is like horror movie 101 stuff, though. You never show the whole monster until the end because imagination is always worse than reality.
I'm not even sure if it's the invulnerability so much as familiarity breeds contempt.

Sure, I agree that the more often the close encounter, the scare tends to weaken. That's hard to avoid, especially in a game where you can use a stasis rifle or build a base to safely observe these things if you want. I think that scary threats, even if they stop being scary, should at least remain something of a threat if you're not careful. And that's the part where I think the Prawn suit goes too far, it loses not just the scare factor but any tension as well. At least with something like the stasis rifle, you could still miss your shot or have something sneak up on you before you can shoot it.

Section Z posted:

I've always been fascinated with how some people feel that you can only have tension if you are perpetually useless, to the point they want even the most robust of upgrades to be meaningless rather than give you a sense of progress.

For all it's turns towards the sterotype there (while it no longer eats an entire reactor rod per water filter use, it's still comically drainy because its "FREE* WATER!"), part of what attracted me to Subnautica in the first place was the fact you do have very real and meaningful growth. Rather than the usual attempt to keep you exactly as ineffectual and starving in the endgame as you were at the start.

Which I guess, is how you end up with people upset that building a robot suit prevents instant death when a sea dragon takes offense to you, rather than act as a glorified oxygen tank.

I wonder how many people who fondly refer to games like System Shock 2 for how scary they are, are just willingly overlooking that game also making you one of the most absurdly overpowered characters of all time past the first half hour? Yet it's still filled with genuine tension even on a replay years later (if you can get past the old graphics, or let them add to the experience)

There's a "slight" difference between something preventing instant death and something making it nearly impossible to be meaningfully harmed if you can be bothered to interrupt your spidey act to throw a few punches. Growth is good, like all the Cyclops options for protection or even the stasis rifle, but in a game where atmosphere makes such a difference, the Prawn just goes too far for me.The Bloodsouls series is IMO a great example of doing progression right, letting you become ultra-powerful but still vulnerable if you get careless or cocky. As for SS2 (indeed an amazing, atmospheric game, though not quite in the same way as Subnautica), I heard after playing through the game many many years ago that some builds were significantly stronger combat-wise than others (mine was psi/exotics focus), but it's a different type of game, so I wouldn't expect the OP builds to completely ruin it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Prawn is definitely supposed to be the 'finish the drat game already' point, given it comes with the drill to make resources far easier to obtain in bulk and the alien facilities are built to its scale.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
So on the PS4 is there seriously no way to put what you want in your belt slots? Just every time it places it in the first slot and shoves everything back one? That can't be right, what am I missing?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mason Dixon posted:

Sure, I agree that the more often the close encounter, the scare tends to weaken. That's hard to avoid, especially in a game where you can use a stasis rifle or build a base to safely observe these things if you want. I think that scary threats, even if they stop being scary, should at least remain something of a threat if you're not careful. And that's the part where I think the Prawn suit goes too far, it loses not just the scare factor but any tension as well. At least with something like the stasis rifle, you could still miss your shot or have something sneak up on you before you can shoot it.

There's a "slight" difference between something preventing instant death and something making it nearly impossible to be meaningfully harmed if you can be bothered to interrupt your spidey act to throw a few punches. Growth is good, like all the Cyclops options for protection or even the stasis rifle, but in a game where atmosphere makes such a difference, the Prawn just goes too far for me.The Bloodsouls series is IMO a great example of doing progression right, letting you become ultra-powerful but still vulnerable if you get careless or cocky. As for SS2 (indeed an amazing, atmospheric game, though not quite in the same way as Subnautica), I heard after playing through the game many many years ago that some builds were significantly stronger combat-wise than others (mine was psi/exotics focus), but it's a different type of game, so I wouldn't expect the OP builds to completely ruin it.

To make it "More like like my Soulsbornes" would also require scuba dude to be able to casually carve up sand sharks in five slashes or less at the very start of the game :v:

So yes please. Give me honest "More like :darksouls:" Subnautica. With an Estus flask equivalent or STACKING consumables Bloodborne style, actually practical teleportation, and all the other conveniences people take for granted when more concerned with player death count in context of literally any genre.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 7, 2019

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

One of the other problems with the endgame is that it takes place entirely in caves.

Much of the game's tension comes from the fact that a player swimming in the open ocean feels exposed on every angle except ahead. You'll frequently feel more comfortable in a shallow dip or next to a wall/seafloor because it means nothing can sneak up on you. Caves don't have this.

In the early and midgame, caves and wrecks are tense because they're dark and twisting and you need to make it in and remember the way out before you run out of oxygen. The endgame might be all cave, but you navigate it almost entirely in your infinite oxygen vehicles. There is usually one leviathan and you can pretty much always see it, and a potential leviathan is much more threatening than a real one. The lava zones are also pretty uninspired (lost river is cool though even if the game undermines it).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The rear of the aurora is easily the most terrifying area leviathan-wise. The biggest shame is that you're never really required to go there. There are three reaper leviathans within close proximity of each other right over the hill that separates the creepvine area and the desolation, and a treasure trove of items to collect and blueprints to acquire, but you can't see more than 20 feet in front of you, and will pretty much always see a length of reaper dipping in and out of the murkiness if you look around a bunch, but it's basically impossible to know exactly where they are all at unless you build a scanner room right there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Seagull literally does that and it's hilarious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, what I got it from.

For me, my trip to the rear of the aurora was where I lost my first seamoth, and the second time was an extermination trip to end those buggers with a drill to the back of the head :unsmigghh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like how every critter seems to have a preferred environment. It's not surprising you see so many Reapers move in around the Aurora since they usually like relatively shallow open areas, murky water a plus. While Ghosts like much deeper open areas.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Reapers are also attracted to noise, and that's a big ol noisy mess right there.

I just wish seagull and sacriel's sonar spam got the reapers after them

"Ah the reaper's right there...hey why is it coming towards me???"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Microcline posted:

One of the other problems with the endgame is that it takes place entirely in caves.

Much of the game's tension comes from the fact that a player swimming in the open ocean feels exposed on every angle except ahead. You'll frequently feel more comfortable in a shallow dip or next to a wall/seafloor because it means nothing can sneak up on you. Caves don't have this.

In the early and midgame, caves and wrecks are tense because they're dark and twisting and you need to make it in and remember the way out before you run out of oxygen. The endgame might be all cave, but you navigate it almost entirely in your infinite oxygen vehicles. There is usually one leviathan and you can pretty much always see it, and a potential leviathan is much more threatening than a real one. The lava zones are also pretty uninspired (lost river is cool though even if the game undermines it).

Early game caves are terrifying because they have those fish that chase you when aggroed and then explode.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The early game fear is entirely tied to not knowing what’s down there with you. If you don’t look anything up there’s a solid early period of when you first explore the aurora or the deeper pods there absolutely a feeling of uneasiness with the unknown. The reaper noises and pda comments are literally built to reinforce this. As you explore around or see new things, or if you watch let’s plays or read posts/guides, that unknown fades quickly and the game isn’t scary. But there is absolutely some moments of that in the early game, and it’s not at all uncommon (the entire related genre of games built on this) so to posts say they’re surprised by that is kind of strange itself.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 7, 2019

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

One thing they could have done to keep things fresh in the late game is give you reasons to get out of your safe vehicles in the deep biomes, like when you have to go into the crash fish caves for sulphur.

I started a new game recently just because and I’m finding one of the higher tension moments is going for fragments in wrecks or the first hab that are just slightly out of the basic sea moth’s reach. Oxygen management remains an issue, and getting lost or disoriented is deadly.

There are a bunch of little caves scattered about, and they’re beautiful environments, but there’s no reason to go into them in the usual progression.

Also they could have made more of the alien facilities damaged so you have to swim past the debris without your prawn.

Invincibility and confidence in the overworld is good for QoL and fast travel, but dungeons should be challenging.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I think the challenge is lost because oxygen is easy to come by once you get the submersibles. Had the Seamoth/Cyclops/Prawn had set oxygen reserves, there would have been a lot more strategic planning when exploring farther down.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mazz posted:

The early game fear is entirely tied to not knowing what’s down there with you. If you don’t look anything up there’s a solid early period of when you first explore the aurora or the deeper pods there absolutely a feeling of uneasiness with the unknown. The reaper noises and pda comments are literally built to reinforce this. As you explore around or see new things, or if you watch let’s plays or read posts/guides, that unknown fades quickly and the game isn’t scary. But there is absolutely some moments of that in the early game, and it’s not at all uncommon (the entire related genre of games built on this) so to posts say they’re surprised by that is kind of strange itself.

Right? The Reefback scared the poo poo out of me the first time I encountered one because I was scanning the sea floor for resources, hear their loud rear end call, look up, and nearly poo poo myself.

Also the farting manatees making a laughing sound at night. goddamn bastards

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oasx posted:

I keep forgetting that some of those states in the middle are practically empty.

Also American definitions of 'fairly close'.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mazz posted:

reapers are always scary unless you get a prawn or something. Which is one complaint about subnautica - there is never really anything valuable in the reaper-guarded areas, like the crash zone. It'd have been interesting to have a reward to lure you into the unforgiving mandibles of those red dragoons.

e: actually iirc there are valuable wrecks near reapers in the dunes area but that's a lot farther away.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

New update out for BZ.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

quote:

-Fabricator - Mobile field equipment fabricator
:frogon:

E: :lol: at the Seatruck trailer spazing out when detached on the update video. :allears:

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 8, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
RPS did a write up:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/08/subnautica-below-zero-hauls-in-a-seatruck-sized-update/
(spoilered for people who want to discover themselves)

quote:

The first big update for Subnautica: Below Zero is out now. Unknown Worlds have added new areas, new sea-life, and a big modular submarine truck to build in their early access survival adventure. The Seatruck update introduces your un-glamorous flagship vessel of this new game, an upgradable hauler that starts out with just a front cab, but you can add extra holds with new functions. There’s two new biomes inhabited by new creatures, such as the massive, toothsome Squidshark. It may not be creatively named, but it can still kill you. See it and more in motion below.

Before diving deep, they’ve added another surface island, this one pre-equipped for hauling cargo into space. Once that’s explored, the depths hold new terrors, although one of the new alien sea-creatures, amusingly called a Seamonkey, is just going to annoy the heck out of you. They’ve got bright eyes and grasping little hands, which they’ll use to snatch equipment away from you to add to their hoard of other shiny objects. Imagine if a Magpie, a raccoon and a dolphin got into a three-way transporter accident and you’ll probably have something of equal capacity for irritation, but maybe less cute.

The new Thermal Spires region is a fresh home for some previously present creatures like Rockpunchers (imagine a mantis shrimp the size of a rhino) and Bonesharks. Meanwhile, the Deep Twisty Bridges look more scenic, deeper, darker, and apparently are filled with grasping flora that grabs at unwary swimmers. The titular Seatruck seems almost the least impressive thing in this update, but seems practical. Onto its cab, you can bolt fabricator, storage and aquarium modules, with more chunks planned for future updates. The bigger it gets, the slower and heavier it becomes, of course.

Very stoked that the original game's concept for fauna that grabs/eats the player is back in the game! Sea Truck sounds lame af and I hope someone mods the Cyclops into BZ.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Very stoked that the original game's concept for fauna that grabs/eats the player is back in the game! Sea Truck sounds lame af and I hope someone mods the Cyclops into BZ.

Speaking from what I've played of the beta so far, using the Cyclops here would just be a pain in the rear end. The areas are just way too tight and vertical for the most part, which is not really the sort of terrain the Cyclops is good at traversing. Twisty Bridges in particular would be a nightmare to try to work your way through with something that long and wide, and it seems like that's going to be an important progression zone.

The Sea Truck itself is kinda neat. It's pretty much a Seamoth without attachments, but becomes sort of a mini cyclops with attachments, and I kinda dig the flexibility and potential of a setup like that. Buggy at the moment of course, but I've been enjoying playing around with it.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Sea Truck is hella expensive to build, though. That's a crazy high amount of materials you need to construct it, relative to the Sea Moth. But I guess the balance comes because it's a lot easier to GET those materials from the spawn zones. It's just a lot of trips.

I had a funny thing happen where Bladderfish seem to have disappeared, though. Loaded up my save after the patch drop and I can't find any bladderfish anywhere. This has created problems with my water intake. I'm squeezing kelp seeds into my mouth to make up for it, but it's a lot more troublesome.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

Sea Truck is hella expensive to build, though. That's a crazy high amount of materials you need to construct it, relative to the Sea Moth. But I guess the balance comes because it's a lot easier to GET those materials from the spawn zones. It's just a lot of trips.

I had a funny thing happen where Bladderfish seem to have disappeared, though. Loaded up my save after the patch drop and I can't find any bladderfish anywhere. This has created problems with my water intake. I'm squeezing kelp seeds into my mouth to make up for it, but it's a lot more troublesome.

The cost for the truck is just a placeholder right now, per one of the devs on the steam forums:

Squeal Like a Pig posted:

Yup, the recipe is just placeholder, and a whole big pass will eventually be done on the game, both on recipes, and on how much and where resources are found in the world. At the moment we are just focused on getting the features and new environments in the game. Once we have more of the world and most of the content done, we can better balance recipes and resources.

If your jumping into the early access right now though, yeah its like 15 gold, 10 each of both silver and copper to put that many kits together, so a bit of farming. Something to do I guess.

Also, Fun Below Zero Fact: The Titan Holefish's hole is big enough to sneak a scanner room camera through. Kinda rude though.

Perpetual fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 10, 2019

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Below Zero seems pretty cool, the zones that are more 'done' are really fun to explore and the ones that are barely there look very promising. Also the music is absolutely stellar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6GpZCEaXjA

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

it’s the dude from FTL right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Does Day9 ever actually install the scanner room HUD chip or does he try to eyeball it every time lol

Him flipping out like mickey mouse to the likes of a sand shark is amazing though

These subnautica stream archives are good background noise while I do other thing though, for real

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hey there! I'm sorry for not reading ten thousand pages of backlog before asking a question I'm sure has been asked many times before, but...ten thousand pages of backscroll.

I'm looking at Below Zero. I'm a huge Subnautica fan and I'm definitely 100% going to buy this expansion sooner or later, but I'm worried that if I get it too soon I'll only get half the content, then later the other half, but neither will feel really satisfying because of the small chunks i got it in. Also bugs. So, is the game in a state right now where it's worth buying, or should I wait until its more developed?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

Hey there! I'm sorry for not reading ten thousand pages of backlog before asking a question I'm sure has been asked many times before, but...ten thousand pages of backscroll.

I'm looking at Below Zero. I'm a huge Subnautica fan and I'm definitely 100% going to buy this expansion sooner or later, but I'm worried that if I get it too soon I'll only get half the content, then later the other half, but neither will feel really satisfying because of the small chunks i got it in. Also bugs. So, is the game in a state right now where it's worth buying, or should I wait until its more developed?

wait

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

id say wait until summer. it is definitely playable right now, but i started playing the original's EA at about midway, and I definitely got burned out.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gothsheep posted:

They're going more quickly than I anticipated, but I would probably (and personally) wait until holidays 2019/next winter for a :airquote: more complete :airquote: experience.

enraged_camel posted:

id say wait until summer. it is definitely playable right now, but i started playing the original's EA at about midway, and I definitely got burned out.

Yeah, if they keep up the current pace this may be true.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Here's their dev board if you don't mind :siren:spoilers:siren:

https://favro.com/organization/35200a08dbbad85b26102638/0d9378db42299691bb14c708

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Gothsheep posted:

I think the best advice I've seen was if you know it's a guaranteed purchase for you eventually, you might as well buy it now to get the EA discount (such that it is) and support the developers, but wait to actually play it. I've got it sitting quietly in my Steam library, but I'm not planning on installing it until it hits full release.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Bringing back up the topic of SpaceNautica from a page or so back but check out this heat: Due to Space Bullshit there is a big sphere of water and terrain floating in space but also it has holes in it to regular space so you're in water in space and its confusing as gently caress and its both water and space. Also its in a funky nebula so space is murky and hard to see sometimes like in Freelancer of Freespace. Anyways thats my fun space idea hope you all like it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Wrr posted:

Bringing back up the topic of SpaceNautica from a page or so back but check out this heat: Due to Space Bullshit there is a big sphere of water and terrain floating in space but also it has holes in it to regular space so you're in water in space and its confusing as gently caress and its both water and space. Also its in a funky nebula so space is murky and hard to see sometimes like in Freelancer of Freespace. Anyways thats my fun space idea hope you all like it.

Sounds like the zero-g habitat in the Peter F Hamilton novel. Pretty sure he stole the idea from Banks, though...

Anywho, I'd play. :homebrew:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Larry Niven had a small version, I think he even called it a pond in the Integral Trees/Smoke Ring books.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Not a Children posted:

I finally picked up this game after hemming and hawing for literal years. Only problem: It runs like garbage on my PC. I've got a 970, i7, 16GB of RAM, and am running off an SSD. Almost everything I play runs smooth as can be, but this game and ONLY this game runs around 15-20 non-constant FPS. I've googled a bit, to very little avail. Is there any known silver bullet for FPS issues?

Not sure if this has been resolved but you are definitely running on integrated video

Happened to me yesterday in Sub Rosa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Not a Children posted:

I finally picked up this game after hemming and hawing for literal years. Only problem: It runs like garbage on my PC. I've got a 970, i7, 16GB of RAM, and am running off an SSD. Almost everything I play runs smooth as can be, but this game and ONLY this game runs around 15-20 non-constant FPS. I've googled a bit, to very little avail. Is there any known silver bullet for FPS issues?

You probably need to manually update your video card drivers.

First off, enter into the windows 10 search bar "create a windows restore point" and manually make a restore point, updating drivers can have SERIOUS stability problems for your computer.

After you make a restore point you can begin updating drivers.

Right click the Windows Start button in the lower left corner of your screen, on the pop up list, click device manager, on that window find display adapters, find your video card in that, right click, update drivers.

Then hope the updated drivers don't brick your computer or something.