Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

HampHamp posted:

Does anyone know exactly how the overall mission ranking works? Is it just your total style points for the stage, or is it the style points from certain sections? Also, do the little red orb bonuses you can see listed at the end of a mission have any effect?

I always feel like I have to explore everywhere to get as many points as possible for the mission rank, but I'm not sure that's required.

Unfortunately the game does not say anything specific about how the points system works, but I'm pretty confident that the red orb bonuses have no influence on your total stylish points and that the only thing that matters is combat performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

esperterra posted:

Is V lowkey the new easymode character, or are his early missions just hella easy? Constantly pulled SSS with him last night lmbo. I know he has way less missions than Nero or Dante tho so mb he's just meant to feel super powerful. At any rate he's fun af to play and I dig him so far in general.

I think they relaxed his style gain a lot compared to other characters to compensate for the fact that he has an extremely limited set of moves even when fully upgraded and also that he's extremely weird.
Tbh, I think it's for the best that they overtweaked him to be too easy rather than too difficult.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

esperterra posted:

Even without Nightmare it's so easy to just tool around reading your book and taunting while your buddies do dope poo poo nearby. Quickly chaining enemy finishers seems to really rack up style as well.

I can't figure out how to contort my fingers to hold RT and RB (read and target) at the same time while moving around and still mashing X and Y. Still a drat sight easier to get style with than Nero was, though I already know why on that front

Just about to try Dante in fact so time to be wholly and horribly confused in a whole new way

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ciaphas posted:

I can't figure out how to contort my fingers to hold RT and RB (read and target) at the same time while moving around and still mashing X and Y. Still a drat sight easier to get style with than Nero was, though I already know why on that front

Just about to try Dante in fact so time to be wholly and horribly confused in a whole new way

I don't use the lock on with V too much, but also since his combat boils down to basically two face buttons I don't find it too uncomfortable to hold down the reading book and lock on at the same time when I need it.

I like to get kind of up close and personal with him anyway, easier to handle combos and deal with a cluster of enemies when you can turn to face them quickly. And his dodge seems super forgiving since you can get birdbro to just swoop you away.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Typically each stage will have a ranking threshold which we can’t see, and enemy encounters each contribute to that stage score. I know in Bayonetta you had to back track severely to get the proper scores I don’t think this game is designed that way, I think these encounters don’t have score ceilings so you could theoretically do so well in the first fight that you could skip everything else and be ok as long as you don’t die.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Hold the controller the same way you normally do but instead of letting it rest on your middle finger and pressing RB/RT with your index finger, let the controller rest on your ring ringer and hold down the buttons with both your index and middle fingers.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Zaphod42 posted:

But you can still get infinite timestop by just buying 6 of the same arm or whatever.

I'm okay with them being breakable, but not switchable is very frustrating. If you have a cool arm and pick up a bad one, you basically have to just break it. Then if you gently caress up and lose the good arm, you wish you still had the bad one left over.

Its a cool idea but awkward in practice. I often find myself just saving them all for the boss as a result.

Sure, you *could* do that. But then you'd be doing that at the cost of having any other ones. That's the give and take.

You want another one? Break it whichever way you want. There's a bunch scattered around the level and there's always at least one spot mid level to get more and shift 'em.

It's only awkward if you want to hoard 'em. Believe me, I get it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think it would be nice to be able to swap Devil Breakers, but keep them destroyable. I can see why they wouldn't let you, though, and it doesn't bother me that much tbh.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest, I thought I would have really disliked Nero's arm system, but I think it actually works really well. It encourages experimentation, introduces a new element of risk-reward, and they're plentifully distributed throughout the levels (either through drops or telephone booths/divine statues that allow you to replenish), so you don't really have to worry about not having arms for a big fight.

It's a really neat mechanic that makes Nero feel even more distinct from Dante, in spite of the fact that both characters have very similar fundamentals.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

To be honest, I thought I would have really disliked Nero's arm system, but I think it actually works really well. It encourages experimentation, introduces a new element of risk-reward, and they're plentifully distributed throughout the levels (either through drops or telephone booths/divine statues that allow you to replenish), so you don't really have to worry about not having arms for a big fight.

It's a really neat mechanic that makes Nero feel even more distinct from Dante, in spite of the fact that both characters have very similar fundamentals.

I like it. And I appreciate it introducing more variety into Nero's moveset, in general. He was always kinda the easymode character to ease you into the Dante gameplay in 4 imo, and giving him more to do makes him a lot more fun to play. Also surfing on my rocket arm will never not be cool.

He was always fun but I need mooooooooooooreeeeee

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
NG+ Nero is amazing because he's basically DMC4 Nero plus 2 or 3 more things that make him just a blast to play and a lot more complex.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
By the way, I just want to say that I appreciate how Dante being constantly impaled with swords was retconned into a plot point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like that you could just play him as DMC4 Nero and he works perfectly fine, but the o KH path to True Style is gonna be through Devil Breakers.

Good. We need to break a generation of gamers hoarding their items for a final boss fight that never comes. Just play the game!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The fact that the Breakers in levels seem to be p random as gently caress as to what you'll get really encourages me to just have one of each on me when I start a mission anyway and get used to em.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Hold the controller the same way you normally do but instead of letting it rest on your middle finger and pressing RB/RT with your index finger, let the controller rest on your ring ringer and hold down the buttons with both your index and middle fingers.

I'm so used to them resting on my middle finger that I have to consciously remember to do it this way, and it feels awkward

is this what its like to be an old and not just know how to do things from childhood instinct :ohdear:

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

You don't have to keep holding RT once he starts reading.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

is there any way i can unequip ebony & ivory?

i thought it was going to be something i could do once i beat the game, but it seems the only thing that really changed is letting me pick what main sword i want for dante

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Peewi posted:

You don't have to keep holding RT once he starts reading.

:doh:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

is there any way i can unequip ebony & ivory?

i thought it was going to be something i could do once i beat the game, but it seems the only thing that really changed is letting me pick what main sword i want for dante

Beat SoS

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I’m finding level 18 final boss vs all of V’s summons on the harder difficulties and I’m getting real frustrated with the healing spots that take the main enemy back to practically full twice per battle.

I couldn’t seem to interrupt the heal and I vaguely recall somebody in the thread mentioning if you do something earlier in the level (destroy a tree?) the heal spots aren’t there?

Can somebody point me in the right direction here because I am sick of killing him 2 1/2 times over then dying.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fellblade posted:

I’m finding level 18 final boss vs all of V’s summons on the harder difficulties and I’m getting real frustrated with the healing spots that take the main enemy back to practically full twice per battle.

I couldn’t seem to interrupt the heal and I vaguely recall somebody in the thread mentioning if you do something earlier in the level (destroy a tree?) the heal spots aren’t there?

Can somebody point me in the right direction here because I am sick of killing him 2 1/2 times over then dying.

there are red tree nodules hidden around in the level that can remove the healing spots if you destroy the mall.
You don't need to do anything special, just restart the level and look around more carefully so you don't walk past them.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Priorities first.

I want to know what's in V's book - one of the textures is Blake's Tyger, Tyger, but don't know what the other is.

One of the notes in the archive is from the man who gave V his book as a child, who says it’s an anthology (which is probably license for them to just sample Blake’s entire catalogue.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

V pro strategies:
https://twitter.com/Cvit_/status/1105069059119505409

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

One of the notes in the archive is from the man who gave V his book as a child, who says it’s an anthology (which is probably license for them to just sample Blake’s entire catalogue.)

Someone cross referenced V's quotes and apparently it's some specific Blake's anthology that besides poetry also includes his Dante's Inferno fanfiction, which would explain why they picked it.
Wish I remembered the name of the book though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Fellblade posted:

The game hints their locations REALLY hard at you by making enemies spawn on the path to them when you finish a previous fight. The first one is up steps on the right, the second is turning right after going up the next set of stairs, and the third one is a bunch of platforms you have to cross.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

esperterra posted:

Even without Nightmare it's so easy to just tool around reading your book and taunting while your buddies do dope poo poo nearby. Quickly chaining enemy finishers seems to really rack up style as well.

It's Nicholas Cage mode.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

By the way, I just want to say that I appreciate how Dante being constantly impaled with swords was retconned into a plot point.

This extends to every character actually, considering Nero and Vergil will get impaled during one of the final fights Buster animations. V gets impaled during his Cavalier Angelo finisher. Dante will also rip out one of Urizens tentacles out of his chest when Trish throws him the Sparda in one of the cutscenes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Priorities first.

I want to know what's in V's book - one of the textures is Blake's Tyger, Tyger, but don't know what the other is.

If you go to the picture taker while he's reading the book in combat you can zoom in and see the pages, in which case you'll see that they've lovingly illustrated a few of his poems.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

more of an incentive to get to work on that, then!

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are
Now that I’ve beaten the game on DH I’m debating if I want to do my next play through on Human or SoS. It’s really tempting to play through on easy mode just to rake up more orbs and skills before diving into SoS. Also, I’m not a big trophy nut but it’s kind of odd you don’t get the trophy for beating Human mode after clearing DH.

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are
Also, I can’t remember the last time I beat a game and immediately wanted to play it again. I think a big part of that is because this game gives you so many tools that I feel like I barely scratched the surface in one play through.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

esperterra posted:

Is V lowkey the new easymode character, or are his early missions just hella easy? Constantly pulled SSS with him last night lmbo. I know he has way less missions than Nero or Dante tho so mb he's just meant to feel super powerful. At any rate he's fun af to play and I dig him so far in general.

Nico continues to just be the best. I'm sry Lady but you might be #2 now even though your entrance this game was lit.

Yes V is super easy and we've talked about it at length

He's a fun alternative style but he's just way easier than Nero/Dante

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Sure, you *could* do that. But then you'd be doing that at the cost of having any other ones. That's the give and take.

You want another one? Break it whichever way you want. There's a bunch scattered around the level and there's always at least one spot mid level to get more and shift 'em.

It's only awkward if you want to hoard 'em. Believe me, I get it.

But hoarding is the natural reaction to being given something powerful with very limited and inconsistent resources.

Its like the magnum in Resident Evil, where I usually end up finishing the game with 20 magnum bullets I never fired. Because they feel too precious to use. That's a design flaw IMO.

If I could simply swap them but they were still consumable, I could hold one ace in my sleeve for the boss and still play around with any that I pick up. But as is, like... sometimes you can do that and sometimes you can't and its entirely arbitrarily based on the order of acquisition. Its weird.

And someone earlier said "well they put those lion things everywhere so you can just swap your loadout before the boss" and that's even sillier! That means that having them ordered isn't really an important mechanic. But now I have to jump through hoops just to do the thing that I can do anyways. Its like in DMC1 where you had to pause the game and go to the menu just to switch between Alastor and Ceberus. That was A Bad Thing.

Game's fine but I would really prefer having breakable arms that you can always swap out at will, like how Dante can swap styles. Its not like there's any canon reason why Nero can't just swap arms, he clearly does it all the time.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

But hoarding is the natural reaction to being given something powerful with very limited and inconsistent resources.

Its like the magnum in Resident Evil, where I usually end up finishing the game with 20 magnum bullets I never fired. Because they feel too precious to use. That's a design flaw IMO.

If I could simply swap them but they were still consumable, I could hold one ace in my sleeve for the boss and still play around with any that I pick up. But as is, like... sometimes you can do that and sometimes you can't and its entirely arbitrarily based on the order of acquisition. Its weird.

And someone earlier said "well they put those lion things everywhere so you can just swap your loadout before the boss" and that's even sillier! That means that having them ordered isn't really an important mechanic. But now I have to jump through hoops just to do the thing that I can do anyways. Its like in DMC1 where you had to pause the game and go to the menu just to switch between Alastor and Ceberus. That was A Bad Thing.

Game's fine but I would really prefer having breakable arms that you can always swap out at will, like how Dante can swap styles. Its not like there's any canon reason why Nero can't just swap arms, he clearly does it all the time.

I went into DMC5 thinking "OK i'm just going to let go of my hoarding impulses and use all the Healing Stars and Holy Waters and such"

Then they were all gone haha

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a you problem, not a design flaw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm going to disagree strongly here.

DMCV is very explicit about the fact that Devil Breakers are disposable as hell. The game goes out of its way to show you this in both gameplay and cutscenes. The Devil Breakers themselves are defined as being powerful but fragile and Nero is breaking them just by fighting them. They're supposed to be a stopgap measure for this lost arm and it shows.

In gameplay terms the Devil Breakers represent a twin mechanic of punishing sloppy play and rewarding good play which goes hand-in-hand with the style meter. Bad Nero play will end up with a bucketload of broken Breakers but without Breakers you're not left helpless, just with DMC4 Nero's basic moveset. As many people have pointed out Breakers aren't remotely needed to feel powerful as Nero because he already is that powerful. What they are is a way to style on enemies. Breaking them plays into that because it's supposed to be replicating the idea that Nero is being so wild he's tearing through these arms like butter.

Most consumables that make the player fear using them are limited, rare and hard to replace. It's why people use potions in RPGs but not Elixirs, because the latter is treated as a rare emergency item and the former isn't. DBers are potions. They are found all over the place, purchased for a pittance in shops, and both story and mechanic-wise are things Nero is smashing to pieces at every chance. If you're afraid to use any consumable item that exists that is on you but most people don't have a problem with using regular items, just Super Rare Emergency Items.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I feel like the game goes out of its way to show the arms are disposable. Even in the first cutscene showing Nero using one, hr breaks it and replaces it like it's nothing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The main thing for me and devil breakers is there's always a shop before a boss so you can grab a couple of cheap gerberas which are always useful for the mobility if nothing else

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes V is super easy and we've talked about it at length

He's a fun alternative style but he's just way easier than Nero/Dante

I'll go back to read the whole thread after I finish, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

esperterra posted:

I'll go back to read the whole thread after I finish, probably.

I don't think it's unfair for anyone to ask questions of a 45 page thread. V is so much fun to play as. Just remember to always be close to your pets and be taunting/reading while cataclysmic poo poo erupts around you for maximum no fucks given summoner action. Playing your cane like a violin while an area fills with lightning and fire is dope.