Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It varies like in Canada but in the city I've seen 175Mbps down on cellular, and 60Mbps at home on cheap wifi.

Just wanted to celebrate the end of my indentured servitude to Rogers, will cease bragging immediately.

I'm very happy for you! It's just kinda like rubbing salt in the wound, you know? We all are very very much aware of how much better things are out there. I've experienced it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
There's a new provider in Manitoba that rose from the ashes of the Bell-MTS sale called Xplore Mobile. They are the only provider that does rollover data so far I've seen in Canada, $65 for 10GB, but I'm going to hold onto my BellMTS unlimited data grandfathered plan until I die.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I hope Freedom doesn't suck, I'm switching from Telus to it on Friday. Their S10+ pricing is about $15 a month cheaper than Telus and $400 cheaper upfront with an S7 trade on and it comes with a poo poo pile more data.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Freedom Mobile really depends on where you live, and how often you travel

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The only thing I miss about Freedom Mobile is the US roaming plan, and if I had known I was going to spend half of last year in the states I would never have switched to Koodo for the extra data.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Is anyone else getting "@" signs inserted after the last character of SMS messages they receive?

The sender doesn't see them at the end of outgoing messages, but they have reported having them at the end of messages they receive from me, and I similarly don't see them at the end of the messages I'm sending.

Edit: We are on Fido and Rogers, so I guess this might be an issue exclusive to that network.

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 13, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Can't say that i have.

Anyone know how spammers are able to go directly to voice mail without leaving me a number to block?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WienerDog posted:

Is anyone else getting "@" signs inserted after the last character of SMS messages they receive?

The sender doesn't see them at the end of outgoing messages, but they have reported having them at the end of messages they receive from me, and I similarly don't see them at the end of the messages I'm sending.

Edit: We are on Fido and Rogers, so I guess this might be an issue exclusive to that network.

I'm on Rogers and no, just checked with a friend that I texted

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know how spammers are able to go directly to voice mail without leaving me a number to block?

They're accessing the voicemail system directly and not calling you. Some systems allow you to do things like transfer messages and things like that. Other systems allow you to call directly to your voicemail using access numbers (and then selecting a vm box). Kind of how you get your voicemail.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone on Virgin having trouble with incoming texts since last night? Got a bunch of repeated texts because they were showing up as failed for the senders so they resent.

Could be the phone, but I restarted and took the sim out and put it back in, no change. I don't know enough about how texts work to know if this is a phone thing or not.

Edit: duh, just did the obvious thing and checked Twitter. Looks like it's a Virgin issue, not a phone one.

Well, fyi to everyone else then I guess.

odiv fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 21, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Virgin issues? No, you were right to check with goons first.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I am a cheap plebe on a Public Mobile plan. I know they have US Roaming now, but I'm going to be in Panama next month for a week and would like some sort of cell for just in case.

Doesn't look like Public offers any other roaming add-ons yet. Anyone know if just buying a cheapo prepaid SIM in Panama, maybe right in the airport, is a possibility?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

slidebite posted:

I am a cheap plebe on a Public Mobile plan. I know they have US Roaming now, but I'm going to be in Panama next month for a week and would like some sort of cell for just in case.

Doesn't look like Public offers any other roaming add-ons yet. Anyone know if just buying a cheapo prepaid SIM in Panama, maybe right in the airport, is a possibility?

This wiki has been my go-to source for picking out SIM cards while traveling.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

lol wrong canadian internet thread. :sigh:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 2, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sooo who wants to send me a code for the 10gb/60$ thing?
https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/04/09/koodo-launches-10gb-60-month-referral-promo-plan/

e: gently caress me off its only for new customers D:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You can still take advantage of that offer by getting a cheap prepaid sim/plan and porting that number into your new 2nd koodo account. After this you can likely port your existing number into your 2nd Koodo account. It's a bit convoluted, but possible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone having issues with the Telus/Public mobile network today? I am losing the network on my phone last few hours, comes back briefly then gone again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

Anyone having issues with the Telus/Public mobile network today? I am losing the network on my phone last few hours, comes back briefly then gone again.

If I have, it hasn't been while checking my phone.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can still take advantage of that offer by getting a cheap prepaid sim/plan and porting that number into your new 2nd koodo account. After this you can likely port your existing number into your 2nd Koodo account. It's a bit convoluted, but possible.

That being said ... anyone willing to share a code? :)

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Wife is fed up with Bell jacking their prices up and is willing to lose cell coverage for her Apple watch (they just doubled their smart watch rate). She's thinking of switching to Public Mobile because they've got an extra 3GB offer for Bell & Virgin ports at the moment. How is their (and Telus by proxy, I guess) 3G service compared to the LTE speeds in Vancouver for someone that doesn't do any movie viewing or downloading at all on their cell phone? She just emails, looks at websites, and uses maps.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
PM 3G plans are LTE data throttled to 3G speed, you honestly wont notice a difference. Are you coming back for another referral Dillbag ;)

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

PM 3G plans are LTE data throttled to 3G speed, you honestly wont notice a difference. Are you coming back for another referral Dillbag ;)

Lol I wish. I was a dumbfuck and ported to Koodo last year for a couple extra GB of data, then proceeded to take a six month job in Los Angeles. hosed myself out of that cheap PM monthly roaming. Had to get a T-Mobile number (they're terrible, btw) and pay for two cell plans.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Whoops, sent you a PM before remembering that Public Mobile doesn't offer 4G anymore, sorry.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fourth Reich telecom wants to increase cell contracts back to 3 or even 4 years, their argument for this is "phones are too expensive and we need to give people longer terms to pay them off so we can sell more". Telus agrees. gently caress them all. Paying on a loving car is bad enough, who wants to be paying on a loving phone when its 3 or loving 4 years old? Phones are the new computers, they are outdated instantly. loving bell man. gently caress them to death.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
":qq: Every other country manages but we can't because Reasons."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

To be fair, they've only posted massive profits and seen their stock do nothing but rise for the last 40 quarters.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was in Dollarama today and seen the lucky mobile sim cards. 40 bucks a month for 4.5 gigs, 50 for 8, both unlimited minutes. Whats the catch?

e: its 3g speeds, as expected

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I am never, ever giving up my 4g Public Mobile plan.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Virgin / bell hard at work.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

At least it wasn't a loving Andrew Sheer text bot.

E: spelled his name wrong but I ain't correcting it cause the act might resemble respect and that walking dog turd deserves none.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 20, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I got a text a few days ago telling me my bill was coming up (it's not, it's next month). :downsbravo:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Forward this and all spam texts to 7726

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

At least it wasn't a loving Andrew Sheer text bot.

E: spelled his name wrong but I ain't correcting it cause the act might resemble respect and that walking dog turd deserves none.

We just had our provincial election out here and some conservative rat kid was operating a robocall operation in an attempt to influence things in favor of the conservative leader (who promptly threw a hissy fit on TV after losing without congratulating the winning liberals). As soon as you look at this kid you know he's right in line with [insert internet conservative/white supremacist, I dont care to catalogue them]

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Going to the states(Seattle) for a week. Virgin wants to charge me $8 a day for some US roaming package. Total rip anyway what are my other options? Main use is texting between my family and data for Google maps and paying the Uber drivers.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Same, but Ohio. Can I buy a prepaid SIM card after I cross the border, or is there a better way?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
T-Mobile tourist SIM is not a bad plan but I had a lot of missing/unsent SMS issues with their lovely network

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I live in the US but my brother and his wife are in Toronto. They've finally given in and will be getting a mobile phone. While they're not complete luddites, it will be their first phone. Preferences: Android over iPhone (in fact not interested in iPhone), hardware keyboard if there are any left, decent camera, and ability to disable any tracking.

A friend is giving them a SIM and 2-year plan on Freedom Mobile. What's a good choice of (relatively) inexpensive phone to go with all this? My brother just got laid off, he is on severance for a few months but his wife only gets disability so income is limited.

Edit: I see that Blackberry has choices. Hoping I can find something used & cheap stateside to send them or bring on an occassional visit.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 21, 2019

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Can't go wrong with an older flagship like a pixel or a Samsung whatever number they're on -1 or -2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

and ability to disable any tracking.

This isn't really possible unless you use a VPN; even if you disable the GPS, there's still location-based IP and cell network/tower tracking.