Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
MOST of the UAP candidates are Palmer's employees is my guess. I've been told that one of them was paid to relocate to WA from QLD to be a candidate. I'd assume there is a blend of nuffies and employees

Also some Chemist Warehouse office workers beat up two SALT community protesters outside their offices yesterday as a victory lap after forming a human shield for trucks to break a picket line

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Never buy anything from Chemist Warehouse they treat women at work like poo poo and pay $7-8 below the industry standard

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I wouldn't buy from them, but my brain medicine is $6 from them and $20 from other pharmacies near me so :shrug:

There's no such thing as ethical consumption.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

AgentF posted:

Not up to scratch with someone else = utterly worthless. Got it.

when youre an environmental party being outflanked by the most right wing labor state branch then yes you are worthless

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

im alan jones posted:

when youre an environmental party being outflanked by the most right wing labor state branch then yes you are worthless

and Queensland aren’t even anti-adani

AgentF
May 11, 2009

im alan jones posted:

I know here on these forums we love our hyperbole but decades of environmental credentials when nobody else gave a poo poo is worth something. So because some ALP branch has proposed an environmental policy you like better, the Federal Greens that has fought tirelessly over a wide range of environmental issues for a long time is worthless? That's stupidity.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I don't understand why Queensland Greens have always struggled. Is the branch system to blame?

I mean Maiwar fell but I can't imagine it staying Green for very long and South Brisbane? There is no point knocking out Trad because she is the main anti Adani voice in the government.

Why aren't they bagging rural seats like they do in NSW off the Nats?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Endman posted:

I wouldn't buy from them, but my brain medicine is $6 from them and $20 from other pharmacies near me so :shrug:

There's no such thing as ethical consumption.

There is if you pay the higher price.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JBP posted:

MOST of the UAP candidates are Palmer's employees is my guess. I've been told that one of them was paid to relocate to WA from QLD to be a candidate. I'd assume there is a blend of nuffies and employees

The one running for Gellibrand ran as an "independent" (using the colour yellow, I'm not convinced it was a coincidence) for Williamstown in November and is currently working for Catherine Cummings.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

JBP posted:

Can’t afford it, chief

Ethical consumption that requires greater economic privilege isn’t ethical.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Endman posted:

Can’t afford it, chief

Ethical consumption that requires greater economic privilege isn’t ethical.

Being poor is unethical.

Endman
May 18, 2010

If only there was some kind of elected body of people that could wield power over businesses and ensure their practices were ethical and that pharmaceuticals remained affordable to people on low incomes.

We could all pay a certain amount to this body, adjusted for our income so that nobody would be unfairly burdened.

Oh well I guess that could never exist that's a stupid idea

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

I don't understand why Queensland Greens have always struggled. Is the branch system to blame?

I mean Maiwar fell but I can't imagine it staying Green for very long and South Brisbane? There is no point knocking out Trad because she is the main anti Adani voice in the government.

Why aren't they bagging rural seats like they do in NSW off the Nats?

i get the impression rural qld is more gung-ho on coal than their nsw equivalents

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

Episode title: Hambeet moves to Queensland

Nah fed election. I don't think there's a local Clive candidate.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Knobb Manwich posted:

Only caught like two seconds of it on radio, but did Morrison seriously say we shouldn't raise minimum wage because there are small business owners out there that aren't even paying themselves a wage and wow those hard working job providers will have to choose which employee they'll tearfully have to let go?

They don't pay themselves a wage and draw it directly from the business. Less tax.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Looks like George isn't going to come face to face with any Sandwich presses any time soon

quote:

Cardinal may serve whole term in solitary

George Pell’s life is in serious danger­ in jail and he will effectively remain in solitary confinement until prison authorities can find a way to protect him.

As he contends with serious health issues, Corrections Victoria is examining when he will be able to be moved from a maximum-securit­y assessment facility to a more permanent prison, possibly with other sex offenders.

The County Court heard yesterday that Corrections Victoria’s sentence management unit had filed an affidavit with the court detailin­g that Pell, 77, was at serious­ risk because of the type of offending and his high profile.

The department’s assistant commissioner of the Sentence Management Unit, who was not named in court, said Pell was “at immediate risk of serious threat’’.

The Australian understands Pell could be moved to one of two facilities in western Victoria, where sex offenders or low-security­ prisoners are kept in relative safety. The most likely prison he would be sent to is the Hopkins Correctional Centre at Ararat, about 200km west of Melbourne, where sex offenders are kept in a medium-security facility that provides protection for some inmates.

A second option is the minim­um-security Langi Kal Kal prison farm, about 150km west of Melbourne, near Pell’s home city of Ballarat.

County Court Chief Judge Peter Kidd said the prosecution had relied on an affidavit by the assistant commissioner of the sentence management unit, signed last Friday.

“As the affidavit highlights, there are concerns about your notoriety­ and the extremely high-profile nature of your case,’’ Chief Judge Kidd said.

“This gives rise to security and safety concerns. The assistant commissioner can say no more than that the safety risk towards you — currently assessed as ‘at immediat­e risk of serious threat’ — may be reduced in protection so that in time you may be able to mix with a limited number of heavily vetted prisoners.

“I emphasised the use of the term ‘may’. I am satisfied on the balance of probabilities, however, that even with the best will in the world, your time in prison will be materially and negatively impact­ed upon because of these issues.

“Your position is not improved because of your advanced years and the vulnerability which goes with that.’’

The Australian understands Pell remains stoic and optimistic about his chances of winning an appeal against his conviction, which led to a six-year jail term

It is believed Pell is reading enthusiastically and, in the lead-up to being incarcerated in Melbourne’s Metropolitan Assessment Prison, had been optimistic that the legal system would ultimately vindicate him. It is believed that before being jailed Pell had been reading church literature, books and magazines, including The Spectator [He's a big fan of Daisy Cousen's outfits].

Chief Judge Kidd also outlined serious concerns about Pell’s health, declaring: “While it is a matter of speculation as to how long you will live, the fact is you are of advanced years and are entering the last phase of your life.’’

Pell’s health ailments include a significant history of cardiac problems, hypertension and congestive heart failure. He also has a dual-chamber pacemaker.

Chief Judge Kidd said: “While stable out of custody, it is the opinion of one of your treating doctors that stress is an aggravator of tendency to heart failure if your blood pressure is not controlled.

“Your doctor has also observed that your blood pressure has previously been more difficult to control (under) stress. One might anticipate the quality of your health will decline over time.

“The medical evidence does indicate­ that your heart and blood pressure conditions will be aggrav­ated by stress.’’

A Corrections Victoria spokesman said: “Corrections Victoria does not discuss individual prisoners. Corrections authorities conduct rigorous security and risk assessments on anyone coming into the prison system to ensure their placement is safe and secure.”

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 14, 2019

Endman
May 18, 2010

I guess this could somehow lead to Victorian prisons becoming safer environments with better medical care, so that's good? I suppose?

I'm just trying to find a silver lining :negative:

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

The only NSW minor party I see that mightn't be bad is the animal one

animal justice party is where all the anti-vaxxers fled to when the greens began stamping em out lol

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

You can't say a jobs a job you gotta live to one poster and this to another.

Endman
May 18, 2010

To be fair to JBP it's not like I'm arguing entirely in good faith either :v:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It is believed that before being jailed Pell had been reading church literature, books and magazines, including The Spectator [He's a big fan of Daisey Cousen's outfits].

worse than the crimes he was convicted for imo

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Endman posted:

If only there was some kind of elected body of people that could wield power over businesses and ensure their practices were ethical and that pharmaceuticals remained affordable to people on low incomes.

We could all pay a certain amount to this body, adjusted for our income so that nobody would be unfairly burdened.

Oh well I guess that could never exist that's a stupid idea

I've found a local pharmacy near my work that pretends to be a chemist warehouse and their pricing is almost on par. Not your amcals or whatever, an independent.

So there are some around, but depends where you live.

There's also ones like UFS which are a not for profit pharmacy and healthcare provider, but only Victoria.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Endman posted:

I guess this could somehow lead to Victorian prisons becoming safer environments with better medical care, so that's good? I suppose?

I'm just trying to find a silver lining :negative:

Ararat will more likely be his destination, though I saw an Ag article from April last year saying assaults in the prison have risen 333% since 2010.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hambeet posted:

They don't pay themselves a wage and draw it directly from the business. Less tax.

I get that. I was surprised that Morrison might go there when it's because the business isn't viable without free labour from the owner (or even better the owner and their family). I was more asking did anyone else catch that comment and confirm?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP posted:

sounds like supporting profiteering off of medical conditions to me. Guillotine.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Knobb Manwich posted:

I get that. I was surprised that Morrison might go there when it's because the business isn't viable without free labour from the owner (or even better the owner and their family). I was more asking did anyone else catch that comment and confirm?

I meant that as scomo being full of poo poo than beetsplaining to you.

I know quiet a few small business owners and they do put a lot of hours compared to a standard 9-5er, that's nothing new or controversial, however like the muffin break lady they all go crazy expecting others to do the same for them.

I've tried to explain to some of them that complained about staff not putting in the same kind of effort they do, that they will never ever find someone as dedicated as they are without splitting ownership.

They get this whole job creator ego thing as if it's a great benefit they can gift jobs to people.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 14, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hambeet posted:

You can't say a jobs a job you gotta live to one poster and this to another.

It's just a joke.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

It's just a joke.

Okay doakey

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

Being en garde re auspol logic is your responsibility, poster.
And because disingenuously made rape jokes are always the funniest.

Knobb Manwich posted:

Whoa whoa are you guys not voting united Australia party?
Christian Democrats or nothing!

Knobb Manwich posted:

Only caught like two seconds of it on radio, but did Morrison seriously say we shouldn't raise minimum wage because there are small business owners out there that aren't even paying themselves a wage and wow those hard working job providers will have to choose which employee they'll tearfully have to let go?
Speaking as that small business owner I can clearly and unequivocally say, "gently caress You, Morrison, you slimy cruel money grubbing sack of poo poo."

-/-

Meanwhile in actual good news:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-13/native-title-high-court-land-rights-spiritual-connection/10895934

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

sounds like supporting profiteering off of medical conditions to me. Guillotine.

Serious answer: it's because they pay people 25% more, generally don't use many labour hire casuals and don't have the business scale of warehouse. The government should do more to enforce medicines pricing (even though it could be way, way worse for sure)

The sexual assault at warehouse is what bothers me most. The two owners are pigs

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Here’s an inspiring news story about how a couple saved for a house deposit by living in a shack with no electricity or running water!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-14/couple-went-without-water-electricity-to-save-home-deposit/10897324

I’d understand if it was a domain article, but how does an ABC journalist write this and not think “wait, what the gently caress”.

Endman
May 18, 2010

JBP posted:

Serious answer: it's because they pay people 25% more, generally don't use many labour hire casuals and don't have the business scale of warehouse. The government should do more to enforce medicines pricing (even though it could be way, way worse for sure)

The sexual assault at warehouse is what bothers me most. The two owners are pigs

But some pigs are more equal than others

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

What sexual assault?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Here’s an inspiring news story about how a couple saved for a house deposit by living in a shack with no electricity or running water!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-14/couple-went-without-water-electricity-to-save-home-deposit/10897324

I’d understand if it was a domain article, but how does an ABC journalist write this and not think “wait, what the gently caress”.

Someone wants a job after Ita starts restructuring?

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

JBP posted:

Also some Chemist Warehouse office workers beat up two SALT community protesters outside their offices yesterday as a victory lap after forming a human shield for trucks to break a picket line

got any more info about this?

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Zenithe posted:

I know this has been asked in the thread a million times before, but I'm actually getting NBN in tyool 2019.

Who's good?

I use a lot of data but not for anything particularly strenuous.

Sorry for the late reply but no matter who you go with, the most important things I can pass on from my NBN headache are :

* When NBNCO schedule an appointment, insist that it is an AM appointment only.
* If they miss an appointment, go straight to the TIO. The TIO reported 150,000 missed appointments in 2018 and are now tracking these. Make it the ISP's problem, and not yours to chase them up.
* Order it as a new line, and make sure you keep the existing service in parallel. Yes, this costs a new line connection charge, but it protects you from stuff-ups.

For me with iiNet : FTTC trial deployment in the PM's own electorate. Strange that.

- Lodged order 21/December
- Order got lost, was told in January tech would be there 13/Feb as order was lodged 15/Jan.
- Yelled. Got an escalation and an expedited appointment.
- Tech was rescheduled to 31/Jan afternoon appointment. Tech never turned up. Tech visit rescheduled to 13/March
- Yelled. Got nowhere.
- Opened a TIO complaint : Missed appointment. TIO sent iiNet a complaint and a bill.
- Appointment rescheduled 8am Saturday 09/Feb
- Tech turned up at 12:30pm. Helped tech check fibres in the pit, every fibre was dead with no light from the exchange. (It's handy having a cabling license, NBN guys all run solo now and he was happy for the help especially since I had my work tools with me)
- Service came active 13/Feb as a 97/38
- Service died 05:00 14/Feb
- Asked what was going on
- Appointment arranged to have tech visit 03/May
- Rang the guy handling the TIO complaint, apparently this is a "Core Network Shortfall"
- Tech realised the delay on the TIO complaint was going to be 3 months between scheduled visit and result of service, and he now has the headache of chasing it up, while I sit back and wonder if the complaint will escalate to Level 3 due to 20 business days and issue unresolved. (Level 1 = $32, Level 2 = $300, Level 3 = $530, Level 4 = $2400)

They called me yesterday happy that a tech was scheduled for 5pm to 9pm on April the 25th. I laughed and said "There is no way in hell that a tech will turn up on the evening of ANZAC day".

I know it will be missed and I've passed through Fury into the calm Zen of "This is someone else's problem and although I've been a customer for over a decade, as of right now I've cost them more then they'll ever get from me".

Meanwhile, I know I'll get another reschedule to some date in July, and I'll escalate with the TIO again. If I hadn't have ordered a new line, I'd now be just passing one month with no service.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

JBP posted:

gently caress scabs. hope the two salt protesters clean em out

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This is foul

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Being poor is unethical.

Inner Melbourne east private school boy doesn't understand how most people live shock :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

tithin posted:

This is foul

not least because Kidd seemed almost effusive when he was talking about Pell's otherwise blameless and virtuous life etc