Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Qubee posted:

daqoos, which is basically tomatoes and a poo poo tonne of garlic
You cant say this and not share!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You cant say this and not share!

sit tight, I'm taking a pic of the recipe my mum gave me, it's DELICIOUS! having it with any rice and chicken dish just tastes incredible and it's so simple. heads up, these are barebones recipes cause my mum showed me in person how to make them.

edit:
Daqoos (sister's version, kinda overkill, I just use my mum's version cause it's easy and tastes amazing, the blanching is pointless lol)

Daqoos (mum's version) and hashew (a condiment that goes with the main dish, tastes delicious)

For the hashew, ignore the part with the flaked fish, it's to accompany a fish recipe my mum wrote above this. But the method is helpful. Notice the lack of measurements on onions and garlic - you can use as much or as little onion and garlic as you want depending on how many people it's for. I typically use one large onion and a clove of garlic and that's enough for me. Loomi is just dried lime. My mum puts the dried whole loomi in a coffee grinder to make a powder, same with cardamom. Only use a little bit of oil, and if it starts burning, you can add a little water to let the onion continue softening and it boils away. It's meant to be very dry, and takes about 10-15 minutes of frying.

For the daqoos, don't make the same mistake as me. It takes a while to cook. I cooked it for ten mins my first time and it was awful and still raw. You need to let it cook for a solid 30 mins on low heat, it gets really dark and completely changes the flavour. Cook it longer to thicken it if you want, though it's not meant to be a sludge, it's meant to be thick but still liquidy? 2 tablespoons of tomato puree. Dad swears by cayenne pepper, but we also sometimes throw in whole or halved green chillies to taste. I just chuck the tomatoes and garlic in a blender with a little bit of water and whizz it smooth. Genuinely the easiest thing ever but it tastes so good. We have it with most every rice and meat dish.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 12, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bagheera posted:

Two observations from cooking this evening:

1) Truly the mandolin requires a blood sacrifice. I used mine for less then a minute before it pulled in my thumb, stopping only at the nail. No stitches needed. But if I'd angled my thumb just a bit differently, the blade wouldn't have hit my nail and would have gone right through the tip of my finger. Lesson learned: Do not let anything distract you when handling the mandolin.

So....don't be afraid to make mozzarella, and be very afraid when using the mandolin.

Fear not!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015MGKX4E

Just toss a nitrile/latex on top and mandolin away.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Heners_UK posted:

I've got myself two whole chickens. I'm going to straight up roast one in a cast iron pan at 425-450F with lemon and garlic to give a traditional roast chicken. The question/recipe/inspiration request is for the other is something other than straight up roasting it (not outright opposed to using roasting as the cooking method, but more interesting that just a second roast chicken).

Chicken Galantine! If you've got slightly better then basic knife skills and a good sharp knife, this is a really fun and interesting presentation that impresses everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MBYdoSMk1Y
I do it the second way, the easy way. Fiddly tunnel boning is not fun for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAGJMyFcjhQ
Updated video with more tattoos.

Scott Rea is a friendly meat god, all of his videos are excellent.

edit: Found the pictures of the first one I ever did! Don't use raw onions in the stuffing, they dont cook down enough. The next few times I used a nice bacon and apple stuffing, was delighful. Also, kebab skewers work fine if you cant find any butchers twine.

\/\/\/That man has no rad tattoos tho \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 13, 2019

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Suspect Bucket posted:

Chicken Galantine! If you've got slightly better then basic knife skills and a good sharp knife, this is a really fun and interesting presentation that impresses everyone.

Updated video

C'mon, you can't mention chicken galantine without providing a link to the best version by the master himself. :)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love Jacques but his incessant drooling and lip smacking is really off-putting

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Updated video with more tattoos.

edit: Found the pictures of the first one I ever did! Don't use raw onions in the stuffing, they dont cook down enough. The next few times I used a nice bacon and apple stuffing, was delighful. Also, kebab skewers work fine if you cant find any butchers twine.

\/\/\/That man has no rad tattoos tho \/\/\/

This looks like some kind of eldritch horror spit it out and I kind of dig it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Qubee posted:

I love Jacques but his incessant drooling and lip smacking is really off-putting

I'm pretty sure that's just anyone French

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nephzinho posted:

This looks like some kind of eldritch horror spit it out and I kind of dig it.

human centipede hatchling

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Any recommendations for a first Italian cook book? I'm getting sick of recipe sites (and the ads, javascript popups asking if I love food and want to give them my e-mail, lovely autoplay videos and all that) and just want to drop some money on a decent cook book.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Any particular region or type of food you're interested in? Otherwise I love Marcella Hazans cookbooks.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Not really. Just trying to branch out from the Japanese food and variations on bachelor chow that I tend to cook currently.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'd grab essentials of classic Italian by Hazan or silver spoon by Donofrio

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I only keep 3 cookbooks in the house and Silver Spoon is one of them. It is a treasure trove of amazing things and any italian recipe I didn't base off of a family recipe is based on that book.

The other two are The Bread Bible and The Family Meal.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Silver Spoon is the gold standard.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

captkirk posted:

Any recommendations for a first Italian cook book? I'm getting sick of recipe sites (and the ads, javascript popups asking if I love food and want to give them my e-mail, lovely autoplay videos and all that) and just want to drop some money on a decent cook book.
Marcella Hazan is great but I also really like most of Lidia Bastianich’s books if you want something with pictures for inspiration. Lidia’s Family Table and Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy are my two favs.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
Anyone have experience cooking bear? Specifically canned bear meat. It was an odd Xmas present and whilst I've been very curious I have no idea what to actually do with it.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

Silver Spoon is the gold standard.

I also own it. Excellent cook book if you're into Italian.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oski posted:

Anyone have experience cooking bear? Specifically canned bear meat. It was an odd Xmas present and whilst I've been very curious I have no idea what to actually do with it.

In my experience bear meat is hella dependent on age and diet of the animal. If the bear has been snacking on lots of berries it is vastly different than one rummaging through garbage or eating carrion.

That being said, the most palatable bear I've had was either stewed or turned into jerky.

If it's canned, I'd prob use it for chili or something strong flavored like that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What role does oil play in semolina pasta, like what will adding more or less do? Is there a thread for pasta

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What role does oil play in semolina pasta, like what will adding more or less do? Is there a thread for pasta
I wish there was a pasta thread!

In my experience, more oil = less egg yolks = less rich/tender pasta. For instance, Lidia's recipe I use for homemade egg pasta has 'rich man's' pasta with 9 egg yolks and 2 TBSP each of oil and water per 2C flour, and then 'middle class' is 1 yolk, 3 whole eggs, 2 TBSP olive oil, and 'poor man's' is 2 whole eggs, 1/4C olive oil and 3Tbsp water. She recommends the poor man's pasta for lasagna or ravioli because it holds up a bit better. It is still miles better than dry pasta. I usually make a half recipe of the middle class one with 1 egg, 1 yolk, a tbsp of oil and then water as needed and it's enough for ~2-4 servings. A whole recipe just takes too long/too much space to roll out unless I'm really feeding a crowd.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I just got a rice cooker, I've never used one before and all the instructions are in Vietnamese. What's the right ratio of water to jasmine rice, if I'm washing the rice beforehand? I googled it and couldn't find a definitive answer, people seem to say different things

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

1:1 will turn out fine. After that it comes down to taste: more water = softer rice, go up or down in maybe 0.1 increments, experiment a little, as long as you stay in the 1:1 ballpark you can't go terribly wrong.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

In my experience bear meat is hella dependent on age and diet of the animal. If the bear has been snacking on lots of berries it is vastly different than one rummaging through garbage or eating carrion.

That being said, the most palatable bear I've had was either stewed or turned into jerky.

If it's canned, I'd prob use it for chili or something strong flavored like that.

I knew someone on here would have tried it! If I make a chili will that completely mask the bear flavour? I want to know what it tastes like but still want it to be palatable (and I get the impression from your post that it's not a great meat).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

I just got a rice cooker, I've never used one before and all the instructions are in Vietnamese. What's the right ratio of water to jasmine rice, if I'm washing the rice beforehand? I googled it and couldn't find a definitive answer, people seem to say different things

Basically all rice takes up water in a 1:1 ratio, the extra water used in cooking should account only for evaporation, which depends on the shape of your vessel more than anything else (surface area of water really). Here’s a decent YouTube about the ratio: https://youtu.be/JOOSikanIlI

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Thanks, I went for 1:1 and it came out very well although a fair bit of rice is now stuck to the bottom of the pan. I don't know if more water would have helped, or if that's just going to happen

now for my second question. How long is too long to keep it in there on warm mode?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
It can help to go and quickly mix the rice after the rice cooking clicks off cook mode.

Also, I'm a little surprised everyone is saying 1:1 as such a strong generic rule. For the medium grain Japanese rice I normally cook it's closer to 1.5:1 water to rice.

EDIT: Just watched the ratio video. 1.5:1 is closer to my experience because I am usually cooking a single serving at a time. Makes sense.

Another thing that can help get rid of crispy bits from your rice cooker is making sure to rinse off excess start on your rice before cooking.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 14, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thought I was cooking rice wrong ever since I read basmati should be cooked in a 1:2 ratio. Load of bullshit, kept ending up with stodgy, sticky, overcooked rice. Went back to the way my mum taught me (1:1.25/1.5) and my rice turns out fluffy and great every time. I also fry the rice in some vegetable oil before adding the water and it really helps keep the grains separate.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My rice cooker has a scale in the pot that tells you where to fill it to if you put in X cups of rice. Seems to work out to ~1.2 cups water to a cup of rice, but also to vary by total amount and I never made more than 3 cups at a time (why did I buy a 10 cup cooker, why).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Paperhouse posted:

Thanks, I went for 1:1 and it came out very well although a fair bit of rice is now stuck to the bottom of the pan. I don't know if more water would have helped, or if that's just going to happen

now for my second question. How long is too long to keep it in there on warm mode?

Oski posted:

I knew someone on here would have tried it! If I make a chili will that completely mask the bear flavour? I want to know what it tastes like but still want it to be palatable (and I get the impression from your post that it's not a great meat).

Bear meat is great, but I think it's the canning part we're a bit wary of. Is it like, a novelty item sold in the $hell Oil Presents The Alaska Pavillion Gift Shop at the Alabama State Fair, or actually intended for consumption and enjoyment?

You could always make sloppy bear joes. Here's a recipe I stole

https://www.thechunkychef.com/best-homemade-sloppy-joes
SLOPPY JOES

INGREDIENTS
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
1/3 green bell pepper, minced
1/2 large yellow onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup water
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp yellow mustard
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 tsp black pepper
dash of hot sauce (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
Heat butter and oil in large skillet over MED/MED-HIGH heat. Add beef and brown, breaking apart into crumbles as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Drain.

Add onion and bell pepper to same skillet and cook 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds or so, until fragrant. Add beef back to the skillet and add tomato paste. Stir well.

Add ketchup, water, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, red pepper flakes (if using), and black pepper. Stir well to combine.

Cook over MED heat for 10-15 minutes, until mixture has thickened to your liking. Remove from heat and serve over toasted buns.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I wish there was a pasta thread!

In my experience, more oil = less egg yolks = less rich/tender pasta. For instance, Lidia's recipe I use for homemade egg pasta has 'rich man's' pasta with 9 egg yolks and 2 TBSP each of oil and water per 2C flour, and then 'middle class' is 1 yolk, 3 whole eggs, 2 TBSP olive oil, and 'poor man's' is 2 whole eggs, 1/4C olive oil and 3Tbsp water. She recommends the poor man's pasta for lasagna or ravioli because it holds up a bit better. It is still miles better than dry pasta. I usually make a half recipe of the middle class one with 1 egg, 1 yolk, a tbsp of oil and then water as needed and it's enough for ~2-4 servings. A whole recipe just takes too long/too much space to roll out unless I'm really feeding a crowd.

Oh shoot I should have specified I've been making vegan pasta. Basically 2 parts flour to 1 part semolina, glug of oil, salt. Sometimes I blanch some spinach and blend and sift it and use that instead of water. It's been killing it but I'm curious as to what more or less oil will do? Also warm or cold water? Old nun who has been making this for a century said warm water, rando recipes say cold.

The consistency has been perfect though really so its not a problem as much as a curiosity.

I've made about 1/4 of these so far. Ridiculously fun for me, I love the physical aspects of cooking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew-3-8itpjc

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oski posted:

I've had delicious bear, but it's bear that's been killed locally and has been eating a very good diet. Canned? Who knows, mang. I'm pretty sure you'll still get some of the uh, bear-y funk in chili still. It can be very musky and strong regardless.

Also, just try a little out of the can. If you can handle offal smell/taste, bear isn't gonna make you barf or anything.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I got these “fancy” French pots at a thrift store. Are they particularly good at anything or worth having around? For sauces ?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 14, 2019

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

My rice cooker has a scale in the pot that tells you where to fill it to if you put in X cups of rice. Seems to work out to ~1.2 cups water to a cup of rice, but also to vary by total amount and I never made more than 3 cups at a time (why did I buy a 10 cup cooker, why).

Yeah, for rice cookers that's the best option. Regardless of washing or not, the lines in the pot should get you close to the right amount. Add rice, then fill as much water as necessary to get to the correct line. You may need to adjust depending on different rices (based on cooking time for one), but the pot on a good rice cooker should be a good start.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I got these “fancy” French pots at a thrift store. Are they particularly good at anything or worth having around? For sauces ?

In my experience they feel sort of like a shittier version of enameled cast iron and food sticks more than it does on other cooking surfaces. Pretty servicable, but I also got them from a thrift store for very cheap, so I wasn't too disappointed.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Thanks for the bear responses chaps. It looks fairly legit rather than a novelty, but is still canned meat.
Will report back once I've taken the plunge...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tonight I have made some fried tofu steaks/sticks/fingers/whyisn'tthereagneralconcensusontheterm and they're pretty bomb. I pressed the hell out of my block and sliced it into quarters, then marinated in some worcestershire sauce. I feel that has overpowered the tofu, it even manages to go through the bbq sauce I'm dipping these in. What is something I can mix in with the sauce to cut the worcestershire flavor?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Leal posted:

steaks/sticks/fingers/whyisn'tthereagneralconcensusontheterm

Logs. You put tofu logs in your mouth.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
What purpose does adding vodka to deep fry batter serve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

SweetBro posted:

What purpose does adding vodka to deep fry batter serve?

It does a couple things. It vaporizes faster than water, which makes the crisping process faster, and it inhibits the development of gluten so you're less likely to overwork the batter.