Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mikl posted:

Genshiken.

(Do not read the sequel, Genshiken Nidaime.)

Avoid Spotted Flower as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Brought To You By posted:

like the loving plague holy poo poo

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Just binged through all of what’s been translated of 67% Inertia, a slice of life gag manga similar to the golden age of Genshiken: where lazy, virgin uni students kill time in a tiny room.

I was originally put off by the fanservice but learning the mangaka is a woman made it feel a lot less creepy imo.

the dick jokes are solid no pun intended i give it my big rubber stamp of approval: https://mangadex.org/title/15911

e: is a bit NSFW

I feel the goofy fan service adds to the charm. Read this AGES ago and loved it.

Dildo horn on forehead chapter was the loving funniest

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Captain Invictus posted:

like the loving plague holy poo poo

Honestly I'm keeping on reading Spotted Flower, since it's being actively translated into Italian (English scans are lagging quite a bit behind). Mostly as a morbid read, like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

I could post a summary of the chapters that are out in Italian but not in English if you're interested in joining in with the trainwreckspotting.

e. To give credit where it's due: the author is good as portraying unconventional relationships (like a transbian one, or even a polyamorous one) in a good light. It's just... The whole surrounding cheating thing that's bad.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 10, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Politely requesting goon recommendations of “bumbling young adults sit around” manga for me to read. thanks in game boy advanced

Grand blue I guess if you haven't read it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

Grand blue I guess if you haven't read it

I was gonna say the same

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Nate RFB posted:

Huh, this was a bit of a surprise, it looks like the group who scanlates March Lion released one for the next chapter in the magazine: 154

I don't know if it's a one-off or the new normal going forward (previously they would wait until the tankobon was released).
Our group has a new person willing to help more with chapters so yes, for the time being I think you can expect sporadic chapter releases vs just waiting for tanks

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, young Dawgstar. There are so many things I need to warn you about and sadly I cannot.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Don’t listen to them. Read Genshiken Nidaime. And spotted flower, and then get back to us.

Don’t bother with Bambino seconde though, what the gently caress.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
In retrospect to Bambino Secondo, maybe I should've realized the author was a lunatic when that dude near the start of original Bambino repeatedly assaulted Ban for no reason and was portrayed as being correct

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

In retrospect to Bambino Secondo, maybe I should've realized the author was a lunatic when that dude near the start of original Bambino repeatedly assaulted Ban for no reason and was portrayed as being correct

Doesn't that guy just randomly stab him, and Ban bandages himself up and shows up the next day refusing to say anything in some attempt to show him up?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's the sort of sacrifice you need to make if you want to work in a kitchen.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda want a cliff's notes version of Secundo just to know what happens without having to read it

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I loved Bambino for the food, was okay with the actual story, Secondo lost both of those

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Round Two of Shuumatsu no Valkyrie is about to start and it's one hell of a matchup. The original sinner, the manliest of men, the nudist survivalist...Adam vs the god of destruction, the multi armed fiend Shiva The patricidal kind of the gods, the Grandfather of the Cosmos himself...ZEUS!!!

And that little man looks calm and confident. I'd love to post the entire chapter because this series completely nails the pre-match hype for both of these fighters over the last two chapters. But I will leave with Zeus doing his best Hulk Hogan impersonation.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/curetato/status/1039764796193693696

https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-100419527

For anyone else who is curious about Japan and art schools. Also, made me realize how I could never afford to study fine arts :ghost:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mikl posted:

I could post a summary of the chapters that are out in Italian but not in English if you're interested in joining in with the trainwreckspotting.
Do it, I crave knowledge of things I know I really shouldn't care about.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Alder posted:

https://twitter.com/curetato/status/1039764796193693696

https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-100419527

For anyone else who is curious about Japan and art schools. Also, made me realize how I could never afford to study fine arts :ghost:

I'm into it

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Oh, more crossdressing pretty boys. Pass. As a transwoman, I'm not fond of that trope.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Coaaab posted:

I'm into it

Looks good.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Coaaab posted:

I'm into it

this looks badass, dig the slightly retro artstyle

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Oh, more crossdressing pretty boys. Pass. As a transwoman, I'm not fond of that trope.
The way that character detail has been used so far has not really been tropish or used to specifically cater to anyone in particular. It's been as much a part of Yuka-chan's character as 'wanting to major in Japanese art.'

But we're also only four chapters in, and I suppose that trait could be exploited later on...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

It’s a thing in Japan, not just a trope in manga.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pierson posted:

Do it, I crave knowledge of things I know I really shouldn't care about.

The sound you just heard.

A trap slamming shut :getin:

For these I'm going to use the Genshiken names because those are the ones I remember and gently caress if I'm going to re-read everything to find what the Spotted Flower names are.

The latest English chapter is 23, so let's roll along with chapter 23.5. (As in most manga, the point-something chapters are side stories.)

23.5: Hato and Ogiue's editor relaxes after a hard day at work, and then remembers that she'd glimpsed Hato's dick poking through their skirt. She wonders if she can ask Ogiue about it and almost does, but in the end is distracted by work.

24: husband & wife return home from the hospital and get settled in with the baby. At the end of the chapter, the wife smells something strange and starts to get suspicious.

25: Hato relaxes after a hard day at work, and banters with their girlfriend about Hato having sex with Madarame. Hato claims there's no way they can get found out, but then realises they hadn't washed the clothes Madarame was wearing when they hugged, so Hato's perfume was left on them.

25.5: The editor goes to visit Ogiue in her study, and reads her newest manuscript. (Here we get a hint that Ogiue, Sue, and Sasahara are in a relationship.)

26: Hato panics and is about to call Madarame on his cell, but their girlfriend stops them because if they contact Madarame they risk loving up even worse. Madarame and Saki wake up in the middle of the night because the baby needs to be breastfed, and Saki asks Madarame if someone was in the house while she was in the hospital. Madarame replies that Hato and some other people came over for drinks. Saki isn't satisfied with the answer, but drops it. The next day, Madarame phones Sasahara and asks him for help, i.e. to say that he was over along with Hato.

26.5: Ogiue has a dream in which Sasahara praises her for her manga, and then wakes up to Sue kissing her. And they have sex.

27: Madarame and Sasahara meet for drinks, Madarame tells Sasahara what he did and Sasahara tells him he's an idiot. Madarame tries to justify himself by saying "Well the situation isn't really different from yours, it's a triangle either way" only for Sasahara to reply "no, in my case everyone's on the level. You cheated." (This makes it explicit that Sasahara, Ogiue, and Sue are all in a relationship together. Yay, poly relationsips.) Madarame keeps trying to justify himself, and Sasahara keeps telling him "no, you cheated, stop trying to find excuses, now let's think how we can solve this without exploding your marriage."

27.5: The editor visits Ogiue and indirectly asks her about Hato, but Ogiue pretends to not understand the question. The editor goes to Comiket with a bunch of co-workers, gets drunk at the after-party, wakes up in Hato's apartment and accidentally walks in on them naked in the shower.

28: Ohno comes to visit Saki and the baby while Madarame's out, bringing her own child along. Saki is super tired and passes out on the bed, waking up hours later. Ohno has taken care of their kids. Saki and Ohno sit, have a cup of tea, and Saki says "I think my husband's cheating on me." Ohno is about to ask questions, but the babies wake up and they get distracted.

29: Sasahara is meeting with Ogiue and Sue for drinks, but is distracted, thinking about Madarame and how to solve the situation. Ogiue notices he's distracted and asks him why, but Sasahara says it's really something he can't talk about. Ogiue is curious, and says "How about this, we have a threesome and you'll tell me after that." Sasahara is conflicted.

29.5: Hato's girlfriend explains the situation to the editor. The editor is conflicted since she doesn't know how she'll be able to keep working with Hato now that she knows Hato's a man (ugh...), so the girlfriend (since she doesn't want to lose the editor because she's really good at her job) plays her trump card: she explains to the editor that Hato is attracted to women, but also to a single man as a sort of "forbidden love". The editor, being a fujoshi, gobbles this right up, and they decide to keep working together.

This is all for now, sorry. I'll be sure to update with more horrible details when new chapters come out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Boy going into spotted flower knowing literally nothing about genshiken and lol that ended poorly for me

I even recommended it as a good series and like a literal day later the chapter where the cheating on the just-gave-birth still in the hospital wife began

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mikl posted:

27: Madarame and Sasahara meet for drinks, Madarame tells Sasahara what he did and Sasahara tells him he's an idiot. Madarame tries to justify himself by saying "Well the situation isn't really different from yours, it's a triangle either way" only for Sasahara to reply "no, in my case everyone's on the level. You cheated." (This makes it explicit that Sasahara, Ogiue, and Sue are all in a relationship together. Yay, poly relationsips.) Madarame keeps trying to justify himself, and Sasahara keeps telling him "no, you cheated, stop trying to find excuses, now let's think how we can solve this without exploding your marriage."
A spineless wimp till the end eh?

quote:

This is all for now, sorry. I'll be sure to update with more horrible details when new chapters come out.
I didn't want to know, it's not like this series hit any particular nerve but it was just a dumb development. I wasn't aware of Genshiken when I started reading this so I just walked into it thinking it would be another series similar to "I can't understand what my husband is saying" then got taken for a wild ride with a married man losing his anal virginity. It's like, why make this series at all? Then I find out it's not uncommon for this writer to make spinoffs that assassinate his characters and push away his fans.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Blue Period is really, really good. I love how the students' art is made by friends of the mangaka.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A spineless wimp till the end eh?

I didn't want to know, it's not like this series hit any particular nerve but it was just a dumb development. I wasn't aware of Genshiken when I started reading this so I just walked into it thinking it would be another series similar to "I can't understand what my husband is saying" then got taken for a wild ride with a married man losing his anal virginity. It's like, why make this series at all? Then I find out it's not uncommon for this writer to make spinoffs that assassinate his characters and push away his fans.

This sounds pretty badass to be honest

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I read the cheating chapter of Spotted Flower and thought it ruled and resolved to read the rest of it but like most things I say I'll do I never did however I might have to give it another shot

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah I've never read Genshiken admittedly, but it just sounds like relationship drama to me. Granted because of the former I lost track of the names several times across that summary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think having characters make bad decisions is 'assassinating' them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Motto posted:

Yeah I've never read Genshiken admittedly, but it just sounds like relationship drama to me. Granted because of the former I lost track of the names several times across that summary.
The initial 9 volume run, which finished pretty strong all told and wasn't exactly a story that really needed to be revisited at least at the time, was a fairly chill story about a bunch of college nerds meeting/bonding/growing up together. It by no means was without its share of drama but it was balanced a lot better than most of the subsequent additions/alternatives IMO. I dunno maybe it's just because I was reading it as it was coming out in that first run while going through the same basic scenario (meeting a lot of friends in clubs in college) but it was a very relatable story and the cast was pretty likeable and one you wanted to see get through their stuff, and what followed (I never read much of Spotted Flower, just the direct sequel) seemed to never get that initial warmth back.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

This sounds pretty badass to be honest
H-how?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Some people just want to watch the world burn

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If "married man loses his anal virginity" isn't an inherently interesting sentence to you we shall never see eye to eye

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've read Spotted Flower here and there before it got to the cheating and then I read all of Genshiken.

Honestly, it's just hilarious how Madarame got a bunch of people interested in him and they even acknowledge, "what the hell do we like about him?" because it feels like at the end that question wasn't really addressed. Or if it was, I didn't catch it. I do like the nerds bonding over a common interest part of it and bonding with each other alright, until the very end when it became the Madarame show and at that point, I was basically over it and the drama regarding him and love interests really wore out its welcome on me.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've said it before, but someone should get back into translating Otakare, which is the good manga about a guy who is exactly like Madarame

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

If "married man loses his anal virginity" isn't an inherently interesting sentence to you we shall never see eye to eye

'interesting' and 'badass' can be two different things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Compendium posted:

I've read Spotted Flower here and there before it got to the cheating and then I read all of Genshiken.

Honestly, it's just hilarious how Madarame got a bunch of people interested in him and they even acknowledge, "what the hell do we like about him?" because it feels like at the end that question wasn't really addressed. Or if it was, I didn't catch it. I do like the nerds bonding over a common interest part of it and bonding with each other alright, until the very end when it became the Madarame show and at that point, I was basically over it and the drama regarding him and love interests really wore out its welcome on me.

When I was in college there was this older guy in the anime club who was a senior when I was a freshman and kept going to club after graduating. This guy was somehow popular with a couple pretty attractive girls. He wasn't a bad guy or anything, but they were definitely kind of "out of his league" and I remember being kind of surprised by it. The guy was also really skinny and Madarame just generally makes me think of him.

In the years since (I'm 33 now so this was a long time back), one of those girls ended up with an actual really good looking guy, so I think it was largely just an immaturity thing where people around the age of 18-20 don't really know what they want and find older guys more appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's been a while, but what I can remember about Genshiken Nidaime is that it tried to have its cake and eat it too with regards to Hato. Like it wanted to explore someone questioning their sexual identity in college by having Hato wonder whether they really are attracted to Madarame and whether that makes them gay or bi. But I thought it also fetishized Hato as well, which really sucked. Like the chapter where a character finds a piece of Hato's cosplay and thinks it's Hato's prostrate massager, or how folks would think Hato and Madarame getting together are hot specifically because Hato crossdresses, or mentioning that Madarame should totally be the bottom in the relationship. The fact it also gets tied into Madarame and his harem and who he should pick also makes it rather tiresome.

But mostly, I think Hato as a character is just so boring compared to Saki, Sasahara or Ogiue as the "new blood" characters. I can get some hesitation on Hato's part, but their indecision just keeps going in circles with no solution, and it went on for way too long for its own good.