Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

massive spider posted:

Wherever you have noise you want to kill. If you have noisy pickups putting it at the start can head off noise before it gets amplified or maybe after a dirt if that’s noisy. Put it Before ambient effects though or it will cut off your tails.

Alternatively, put it after ambient effects if you think the cut off tails sound cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
make sure you get one with four jacks if you're using an effects loop. low noise and tails yeah boy

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Rewired my board with EBS flat cables, and now I have room for 2 more pedals! Thinking about adding a Hall of Fame 2 , but I'm not really sure what to put in the last empty spot. Maybe a bigger delay? Maybe a better phaser with an expression pedal? Some kind of octave? More distortion?

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I wasn’t a fan of the hall of fame at all. It sounded so lifeless to me.

The RV-6 is amazing in the same price range. People rave about EHX’s Oceans 11 and Digitech’s Polera too.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Wanted to step up my ambient synth game by adding a Strymon Big Sky to my analog setup, though I just came across an offer to buy a TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 for a small discount instead. What do you think, is there a lot of daylight between these two models? Any alternate ideas?

I'm just tired of having a ton of mediocre effects laying around and wanted to invest in one really good reverb and one really good analog delay.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Wanted to step up my ambient synth game by adding a Strymon Big Sky to my analog setup, though I just came across an offer to buy a TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 for a small discount instead. What do you think, is there a lot of daylight between these two models? Any alternate ideas?

I'm just tired of having a ton of mediocre effects laying around and wanted to invest in one really good reverb and one really good analog delay.

The Hall of Fame isn’t very close to most of the pricier options in my experience. If you want a Big Sky you won’t be happy with a HoF.

Also check out the Meris Mercury 7 :3:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Also check out the Meris Mercury 7 :3:

Now you’re playing with power!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Now you’re playing with power!

The only proper thing to do in a post GAS experience reality is infect others and keep the energy moving.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Oh, thanks for the tip on the Mercury. Hadn't heard of that. Suddenly that's the main contender vs. the Strymon.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Declan MacManus posted:

basically the only difference between the sd-1 and ts is that the sd-1 clips asymmetrically and the ts clips symmetrically, which won’t really matter for your purposes

either one is fine, as is the joyo vintage od. you can also get a dod 250-style overdrive and run it the same way for a more sludgy, less mid heavy tone, or you can do what i do and scoop up a t rex crunchy frog from guitar center’s used section for like 50 bucks and then you have two stages of boost
I ended up grabbing an SD-1 this week. Did what I wanted as far as lopping off some low end, but now I'm realizing A) I kinda like having an additional source of gain, and B) it ain't gonna be this particular source of gain. So I guess tube screamer clones are up next.

Anybody know of a youtube demo of someone running a doubler (TC MImiq, the Keeley 30ms, the Strymon Deco, anything) in an effects loop? Most videos I've seen are of people running them ahead of their amp, not looped.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the mercury 7 is probably the closest stompbox to a full on lexicon rack reverb and can do the vangelis thing really well

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

If I want a wah with adjustable parameters whats out there?

I wanna play it with synths (polys/modulars) and set and forget is not a selling point for me. I can deal with level matching etc.

Ideal would be a box with knobs I could stick on a table and run an expression pedal to - do those exist?

Would love to cheap out if possible too - I'm pretty sure I could be happy w/ a used 50 dollar cry baby, just wondering if I could spend a little more and be happier.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

JamesKPolk posted:

Ideal would be a box with knobs I could stick on a table and run an expression pedal to - do those exist?
They do, actually -- https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/dunlop-cry-baby-rack-wah
If you for some reason don't want to spend $600 on a wah pedal the 535Q has some adjustability: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CrybabyMulti--dunlop-535q-b-cry-baby-535q-multi-wah-pedal-black

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

JamesKPolk posted:

If I want a wah with adjustable parameters whats out there?

I wanna play it with synths (polys/modulars) and set and forget is not a selling point for me. I can deal with level matching etc.

Would love to cheap out if possible too - I'm pretty sure I could be happy w/ a used 50 dollar cry baby, just wondering if I could spend a little more and be happier.

There are a few envelope filters that would probably do what you want. 3leaf Wonderlove and Iron Ether Xerograph are 2 examples I can think of.

And the Moog MF101, of course, but you said cheap...

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I'm looking for a primary analog delay for my analog synths that can achieve some vintage, maybe a little dirty warped character and do long delay times and/or self-oscillation. I've been comparing the AD9 w/Keeley, AD900/999, Minifooger, Echoshifter, and Carbon Copy. Any thoughts there? I was leaning toward the Echoshifter based on some demos and word of mouth, but I've also read some complaints about the longevity of the device and quirks about it not picking up the signal of certain waveforms.

Minifooger seems to be pretty solid too, though I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $ to me yet.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 10, 2019

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Solid Gold FX Electroman might fit the bill. It's a lo-fi delay with an oscillation foot switch.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i found my johnny marr jangle, but now i'm getting a darkish white noisey sssssss sound that no amount of knob tweaking will fix (unless i lower my treble, which ruins the tone i'm trying to achieve). should i get a boost pedal to improve signal-to-noise?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Echoshifter is a real pain in the rear end to get it to go weird. The slider is fun (and I love the LFO option) but it doesn't freak out like you want it to.

The Behringer VD400 is the same basic circuit (maybe shorter times? but same chips) but its like 25 dollars and I would absolutely make sure that doesn't do it for you before you spend more.

Consider PT delays as well unless the analog is a must, they're gonna get you where you're looking to go pretty straightforwardly and the self oscillation is real fun for synths. Not the most classic sound though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i found my johnny marr jangle, but now i'm getting a darkish white noisey sssssss sound that no amount of knob tweaking will fix (unless i lower my treble, which ruins the tone i'm trying to achieve). should i get a boost pedal to improve signal-to-noise?

what’s your signal chain

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Depends on what it’s coming from. Try to isolate each part of your signal path and identify the source of the hiss.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

what’s your signal chain

something like that

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

something like that

Running off an isolated power supply?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A boost pedal would just amplify the hiss anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAllMFGdQTI

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Running off an isolated power supply?

using a onespot sort of thing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

using a onespot sort of thing.

that’s probably your problem then

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm looking for a primary analog delay for my analog synths that can achieve some vintage, maybe a little dirty warped character and do long delay times and/or self-oscillation. I've been comparing the AD9 w/Keeley, AD900/999, Minifooger, Echoshifter, and Carbon Copy. Any thoughts there? I was leaning toward the Echoshifter based on some demos and word of mouth, but I've also read some complaints about the longevity of the device and quirks about it not picking up the signal of certain waveforms.

Minifooger seems to be pretty solid too, though I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $ to me yet.

I’m gonna say none of these, get a boss RE20 cause it’s one of the best delays ever even though it’s a tape sim not true analog. You can use the input gain to dirty up your whole signal and the oscillation is amazing.

If you really want analog I’d go with the minifooger though.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Any recommendations on a good bass synth pedal? I tried the BOSS SYB-5 and the tracking left a lot to be desired even when I slowed down and played as clean as possible. I was eyeballing Electro-Harmonix's new Bass Mono Synth but it isn't available in retail in Canada yet (I could order online and wait for it to clear customs, I just wish I could try it myself first).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Siivola posted:

A boost pedal would just amplify the hiss anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAllMFGdQTI

Gating anything less than the highest gain sound possible is being a bit too fussy, imo.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The boys in the video agree, they spend most of it demonstrating how to diagnose and fix noise issues without having to buy a gate.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Me and Leck have one, and I really wouldn't recommend it as a general-purpose delay, but the DOD Rubberneck sounds almost perfect for what you want. It's got very long BBD delay times (with the lo-fi sound that implies, especially for really long times), with footswitchable and easy-to-dial-in self-oscillation. It also has modulation to get you that warped character, as well as gain so you can add a bit of grit, and a tone control. It also has the unique rubberneck feature, which shifts the delay clock speed by 2x/0.5x (depending on knob position), which has the effect of pitching your repeats up or down an octave, with a controllable tamp rate. It also, also has an effects loop so you can apply effects only to the wet repeats. It's a really interesting pedal, and the last labor of love from Tom Kramm at DOD/DigiTech before Harman/Samsung decided to fire the entire team.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Throwing my vote in for the Carbon Copy. It’s the best sounding delay I’ve ever had and you can get them pretty cheap. I even sold a $400 moog delay because I thought the CC sounded better.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Gating anything less than the highest gain sound possible is being a bit too fussy, imo.

even then, uphold trey azagthoth thought and embrace the feedback between notes

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Schpyder posted:

Me and Leck have one, and I really wouldn't recommend it as a general-purpose delay, but the DOD Rubberneck sounds almost perfect for what you want. It's got very long BBD delay times (with the lo-fi sound that implies, especially for really long times), with footswitchable and easy-to-dial-in self-oscillation. It also has modulation to get you that warped character, as well as gain so you can add a bit of grit, and a tone control. It also has the unique rubberneck feature, which shifts the delay clock speed by 2x/0.5x (depending on knob position), which has the effect of pitching your repeats up or down an octave, with a controllable tamp rate. It also, also has an effects loop so you can apply effects only to the wet repeats. It's a really interesting pedal, and the last labor of love from Tom Kramm at DOD/DigiTech before Harman/Samsung decided to fire the entire team.
I'm not really a delay expert at all, but yeah, I've got one of these too and it's pretty neat. It's got multiple knobs for your gritty/warped needs, and it will definitely self-oscillate. It seems pretty loaded with features for an analog delay - fairly long times, tap tempo with multiple subdivision settings, the modulation and gain on the repeats, and the effects loop. It's fairly power hungry and sometimes requires a couple of plugs and unplugs to get it to work with my cheapo Joyo power supply, but it's been fine with a dedicated supply, and Schpyder has mentioned no power problems at all with a nicer supply than mine. Definitely worth checking out a few of the demo videos to see if it might work for you.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I guess this is the best place to post this question. Has anyone used Waves Tune Real-Time? Its on sale and I have found a need for real-time pitch correction when recording vocals but wanted to see if it was a solid option. Would be great to only spend ~$70 instead of a couple hundred on Antares Autotune.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Third-ing the rubberneck, if you can get one for the rate they were going for a few months ago (got mine for £115, heard they were even cheaper in the states) there’s no question about it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Someone stop me from buying a Bogner La Grange pedal

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Someone stop me from buying a Bogner La Grange pedal
All the Bogner pedals are great, buy it immediately. Now you talk me out of buying a Mimiq or Deco!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Death Panel Czar posted:

All the Bogner pedals are great, buy it immediately. Now you talk me out of buying a Mimiq or Deco!

You can't afford to not buy them

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I wish I had been able to snag one of the Rubbernecks I saw for really cheap over the last few months. Still very happy with the El Capistan, but I really like the features of the DOD.

I finally got a Strymon voltage doubler, so I can run 3 pedals at 18v out of my Zuma without having to daisy-chain. This new adapter also let me try 24v with the pedals I have that can take it, but I found I actually preferred 18v in both cases.

Now it's time to rewire the whole board with the 3x18v configuration! I got a bunch of the EBS flat cables too, which I'm really liking. They're going to make future reconfigurations much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That Mimiq had a cool sound in the demo I watched