Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Whenever we give money we end up with disasters like dooby and the red cross and radium. When will we learn our lesson and just send lowtax crates full of bees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

why are we talking about changing the code for a website that is working

all I care about is that server costs are covered and lowtax doesn't die

I thought I had read once that the forum code was so janky that bandwidth usage was like twice as much as it would be under a more modern system

I don't know if that's even a thing that can actually happen, though.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Web servers are on aws, database is on azure and backups are on pfft lol

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

theflyingorc posted:

why are we talking about changing the code for a website that is working

all I care about is that server costs are covered and lowtax doesn't die

Code can be changed to reduce those costs, making them easier to cover.

I unironically can't wait until we have annual donation drives like Wikipedia and public radio.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Isn’t there just like a button to push that will fix everything? Lowtax, have you tried pushing the button?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

oldpainless posted:

Isn’t there just like a button to push that will fix everything? Lowtax, have you tried pushing the button?

More like old

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Tom Gorman posted:

better not eat too many apples today, lots of carbs!

*eats 9 hamburger patties covered in mayo*

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Avirosb posted:

My liege,

I write to you with shocking news! Jacob Wohl
tried to have me assassinated to make sure I wouldn't
discover his plot to Kill Jacob Wohl.

Your humble spymaster,
Jacob Wohl

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's the first funny version of that joke for ages

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Phy posted:

I thought I had read once that the forum code was so janky that bandwidth usage was like twice as much as it would be under a more modern system

I don't know if that's even a thing that can actually happen, though.

It’s theoretically possible, but it would take some pretty weird code to double your bandwidth costs. I guess the forums could be serving multiple megs of un-minified Javascript, or generating ludicrous amounts of traffic over the wire between the front end and the back end. Whatever the case, bandwidth now costs about 1% of what it did when these forums opened.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It’s theoretically possible, but it would take some pretty weird code to double your bandwidth costs. I guess the forums could be serving multiple megs of un-minified Javascript, or generating ludicrous amounts of traffic over the wire between the front end and the back end. Whatever the case, bandwidth now costs about 1% of what it did when these forums opened.

My pet theory is that the database and front end are in separate datacentres, just because it would be very on-brand.

(That said, bad cache behaviour on images could probably hurt a lot for some subforums at least.)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The gently caress happened to your avatar

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It’s theoretically possible, but it would take some pretty weird code to double your bandwidth costs.

"Some pretty weird code" is a given, never underestimate how dumb and lovely the coding holding this site together might be. :v:

Somfin posted:

SPINE TAX

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Somfin posted:

Lowtax needs spine money.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Lowtax needs spine money.
Patreon!
      \

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It's really weird how since Lowtax has had these health problems any time donating money to him is discussed people eventually start brainstorming how to fix the forums.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shifty Nipples posted:

It's really weird how since Lowtax has had these health problems any time donating money to him is discussed people eventually start brainstorming how to fix the forums.

AS THE LAND SUFFERS, SO SHALL ITS KING. THE LAND'S HEALTH IS THE KING'S HEALTH; ITS PEOPLE'S JOY, THE KING'S. HEAL THE LAND, AND THE SOVEREIGN MAY YET RULE FOR TEN THOUSAND YEARS. LET THE LAND LAY FALLOW AND BARREN, SO SHALL THE HE WHO BEARS THE BURDEN OF THE CROWN.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shifty Nipples posted:

I think there's an assumption that the forums cost way more than they should to run because they're ridiculously inefficient, and if they got fixed they'd cost him a lot less each month

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

avshalemon posted:

speaking of shooting dead, i must make my stand

let me tell you about a man named donald j trump, and his inevitable death (soon! very soon) through unimaginable trauma of the anus and spirit. the trauma comes not from without, which would be crude, but from within, as i will enter his system as a tiny spore and it is only as i'm passing through his bowels that i will begin to grow to full size. with stunning speed i expand from a mote into an obese and furious young white, and with the force of my passing i tear trump's nethers asunder like a lily opening to the sun

:allbuttons:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You think if the government agrees to pay for his spine he'll turn on goons? Because he should have a pitch ready when the secret service come visit.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
At this point he probably has his own secret service case worker

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I don't believe "I will, as a mote of poisonous spirit, infest our president's colon then enlarge myself and explode out of his rear end like an alien" is a credible threat under the investigatory standards of the secret service.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It's a great christmas card though

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Forums treasure. Bye for now, Avs!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

My pet theory is that the database and front end are in separate datacentres, just because it would be very on-brand.

My pet theory is that the database is located in 2002, explaining both the bandwidth costs, and the performance.

Somfin posted:

I think someone changed it.

[pause for laughter]

I have to give credit to whoever selected it: this is the first avatar anyone’s ever given me which caused my first reaction to be mild horror, rather than amusement or gratitude.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Some pretty weird code" is a given, never underestimate how dumb and lovely the coding holding this site together might be. :v:

True, although “doubles your bandwidth costs” is still a pretty specialized type of bad coding.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

At this point he probably has his own secret service case worker

Imagine being all excited to join the secret service and getting cast into the Siberian hell of monitoring the forums as your first and now permanent job.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Outrail posted:

Imagine being all excited to join the secret service and getting cast into the Siberian hell of monitoring the forums as your first and now permanent job.

Let's be honest, 90% of it is reading Avshalom posts

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
We should all be so lucky.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
i just hit refresh on the page and got 1.89MB of transfer, that's a fairly heavy page and assume an average time of 40 seconds between request per user, idk what the average user count is, but this one time i saw 5,555 logged in users which seems auspicious to me

that's about 10.5 gigs per minute and nearly all of it is images, the biggest offender that's not an image is jquery and that's coming from a cdn

fixing the forums ain't gonna fix bandwidth

edit: i guess you could make SA a spa or some poo poo but lol chrome is gonna bloat to 20 gigs in every computer on the planet

Pimblor has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Mar 14, 2019

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Yo Secret Service I will monitor the forums and report all the bad posts in return for one case of Bawls per month

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pffft, I'll do it for a fistful of counterfeit $100's a week. You're just gonna throw them away anyways. C'mon.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Moon Atari posted:

Those dog headed people with human hands on sesame street always scared me as a child.

Moon Atari posted:

I'm still not entirely comfortable with them.

The one I remember being especially creeped out by when I was young wore suits and read the newspaper. I cant find any clips of that though so maybe sesame street realised they were scaring children and removed the evidence from circulation.

Moon Atari posted:

They are being encouraged to sit completely still and look at the camera with food bribes. That means they are looking at you like you are food being held just out of reach, rather than with affection.

The Bloop posted:

So, like cats would

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Spoeank posted:

I found out today that the Traditional Workers Party (Nazi poo poo fuckers) dissolved because the leader was caught by his wife sleeping with the wife of another high up. That I knew. What I didn't know until today is that they call it

Night of the Wrong Wives

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Pimblor posted:

that's about 10.5 gigs per minute and nearly all of it is images, the biggest offender that's not an image is jquery and that's coming from a cdn

Uhhhhhh all those images are coming from a CDN too of course; we don't just post images from somethingawful.com, we post them from imgur in almost every case. That's not using SA's bandwidth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Uhhhhhh all those images are coming from a CDN too of course; we don't just post images from somethingawful.com, we post them from imgur in almost every case. That's not using SA's bandwidth.

If OP is getting to roughly a meg of data, I doubt they’re uhhhhhh counting the imgur content.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Outrail posted:

I mean that's basically what my job is now they just don't think that's what they're paying me for.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

A124! posted:

This is a really unfair comparison, Senator Binks won his race for senate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Chitin posted:

I mean that's basically what my job is now they just don't think that's what they're paying me for.

On the one hand: explain

On the other hand: It was all a joke please don't waterboard me.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Outrail posted:

On the one hand: explain

On the other hand: It was all a joke please don't waterboard me.

They (like me and many of others) read the forums while on the clock at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

It's beautiful :allears: