Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Does anyone know if the authorities have been cracking down on tourists not registering with the police when not staying at a hotel?

I haven't done it on previous occasions (staying with family) but I've seen people on reddit saying that they're checking when leaving and banning re-entry.

They're cracking down on everything so just assume they would.

I think you're allowed to stay with family anyway so probably worth the 2min it takes at the paichusuo to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Does that apply to HK as well? I'm planning to stay with a friend the first couple of days I'm there and then doing a hostel.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Keret posted:

Does that apply to HK as well? I'm planning to stay with a friend the first couple of days I'm there and then doing a hostel.

Nah, HK is fine. Only a mainland issue.

Magna Kaser posted:

I think you're allowed to stay with family anyway so probably worth the 2min it takes at the paichusuo to do it.

Yeah fair enough. Not a big issue but just one of those things people never bothered doing previously.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 16, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No, Hong Kong isn't the mainland and doesn't follow its rules. Yet. :getin:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

At the intersection outside my office there's always been a traffic cop since Shanghai does that for whatever reason, but the last 2-3 weeks they've been ticketing or impounding every e-bike without a license plate.

Since I work near one of the hip foreigner spots it's a pretty nice distraction to hear white people get mad at the cops about getting tickets for not having license plates. It's less fun when all the kuaidi or eleme guys get stopped cuz those guys provide a valuable service.

Primordial Soup
Jul 31, 2010

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I’ve got a weekend trip to Chongqing coming up. Probably rolling into town late Friday and heading out by train Sunday night or Monday morning. I’ve never been, and I don’t know what I’m meant to see/eat while I’m there. My Chinese is ok enough for getting around most of the time, but I think I’m going to end up playing guide for a larger group that has none of the language yet. Any recommendations?

Chongqing is a rather large and sprawling city, definitely won't be able to see a huge amount in a weekend. In terms of food, definitely eat hot pot (get the half-spicy and half-mild) and the 23987234 different varieties of noodles. Xiao mian with extra peanuts is always a great bet. Drink a lot of beer. For only a weekend trip, I recommend going to Ciqikou and/or Hongyadong to get your tourist-trap shopping on. Jiefangbei is considered the 'city center' and has a lot of cultural significance and nightlife options. When I lived there, I was centered a little further north in Yubei District.

Basically, the food is fantastic (and spicy) everywhere you go, so don't worry about the location. If you're looking for 'foreign food', there is a great Italian restaurant in Guangdianyuan (off the pink 6 line) called Origonaroma. Owned by real Italian folks and made with (mostly) imported Italian ingredients. There's also a restaurant called Blue Olive owned by an Australian guy named Paul in Liziba (off the green 2 line). There's also an American-style BBQ spot called Lazy Dog in the big Shiyoulu Mall (C Wing, I believe). Have fun!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hello I am stuck in Changsha with a burning need to do homework, problem is my internet sucks and I can't install anything. How do I go about finding a decent connection?

Also is the WeChat group still alive

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Ya the WeChat group is still alive and full of cool people (aka not fart simpson)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Tom Smykowski posted:

Ya the WeChat group is still alive and full of cool people (aka not fart simpson)

this but the opposite

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

fart simpson posted:

this but the opposite

:goofy:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

its dead but still full of uncool people like fart simpson?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

simplefish posted:

its dead but still full of uncool people like fart simpson?

no that’s the inverse

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

fart simpson posted:

no that’s the inverse

no thatd be devoid of not full of

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

no that ones the converse

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

this is the most boring exchange in the universe

id like to see the back of it, or in other words

the obverse

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I think that would be the transverse

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magna Kaser posted:

the hours it takes to find the right one

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just curious, just got back from Hong Kong, we left SFO around noon which is a 14 hour flight, about 8 of which is in daylight. I personally prefer staying up until the last 3 hours and then attempt sleeping (6' tall and economy legroom is murder for me trying to sleep)... This works very well for me... Arrive at 8pm, get to your Airbnb a little before midnight, grab some dinner and go to bed, ready to do stuff the following day. However the stewardesses were not having any of me looking out the window. Basically as soon as we took off and served food and drinks the lights went out. I saw them nearly swatting at another passenger trying to open their window to look out.

On the way back we left around noon also, nobody came over once to ask about the window. Granted, of the 11 hour flight probably 4-5 hours were in darkness

Anyways, what gives? I've done probably close to 50 long haul flights and never had such aggressive stewardesses before about the window. I realize it's easier for some people to sleep on the plane, but if you take off at noon I don't see how anyone can reasonably be expected to sleep until closer to 7pm/sunset at your origination airport.

This was on United, if anyone cares

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Other people maybe weren’t on local time before you took off? Time zones don’t apply in airports, that’s why you’re allowed to openly drink in the morning there without feeling shame

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

gently caress United.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

On I think every flight I've ever done across the Pacific (EVA, United, Cathay) they stopped people from opening the blinds. Never had a problem across the Atlantic.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I like the 787 because you can't open or close the blinds.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
If you’re that one rear end in a top hat trying to open the blinds they should throw you out the drat plane

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

If you’re that one rear end in a top hat trying to open the blinds they should throw you out the drat plane

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Just curious, just got back from Hong Kong, we left SFO around noon which is a 14 hour flight, about 8 of which is in daylight. I personally prefer staying up until the last 3 hours and then attempt sleeping (6' tall and economy legroom is murder for me trying to sleep)... This works very well for me... Arrive at 8pm, get to your Airbnb a little before midnight, grab some dinner and go to bed, ready to do stuff the following day. However the stewardesses were not having any of me looking out the window. Basically as soon as we took off and served food and drinks the lights went out. I saw them nearly swatting at another passenger trying to open their window to look out.

On the way back we left around noon also, nobody came over once to ask about the window. Granted, of the 11 hour flight probably 4-5 hours were in darkness

Anyways, what gives? I've done probably close to 50 long haul flights and never had such aggressive stewardesses before about the window. I realize it's easier for some people to sleep on the plane, but if you take off at noon I don't see how anyone can reasonably be expected to sleep until closer to 7pm/sunset at your origination airport.

This is common now

In a 787 they can automaticaly black out all the windows and there aint poo poo you as a passenger can do about it

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

787 is great. AC power at every seat and the increased pressure/humidity really do help a lot.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Not so sure. In economy the aisle and window seats where it bolts into the floor is a massive chunk of metal that is in jussst the wrong place for where my foot comfortably wants to be. It's the only plane that this happens on.

Humidity and pressure have never bothered me though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I haven't had that issue since I'm willing to drop the extra couple hundred bucks on the bulkhead or exit row on a trans-Pacific flight. gently caress being jammed in like that for 16 hours.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The 777 I was on had 120v power + USB in the in seat infotainment system

And, agree on the dimming system, you have some control over the window shade still, fought with that coming back from Shanghaia couple of years ago. Long haul on a 787, I felt considerably less exhausted than flying there on a 777.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Other planes have power but the 787 is the only one I'm aware of that always, without exception, has power at all seats. And since I can't sleep on a plane being able to play Battletech the entire time is extremely helpful.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Y'all need Xanax.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Y'all need those elastic sleep masks they hand out. Give me my drat view.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Simple fish the most correct poster itt

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
But trans pacific flights almost never have anything to look at out the window

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

Y'all need Xanax.

I need business class.

But I just watch movies in economy all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

When I had to go ATL to Pudong, they said they'd hook me up first class.

A week before, they said it was against policy and I had to economy myself in a 747.

I went to the doc beforehand and the Xanax made it possible. Took edge off, let me sleep. A++ would dose again.