Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Trickster is not peanuts, Dante's mobility is disgusting. For most people, it should be your default stance, and you swap to another when you need it. Next time you're playing, hold down lock on as soon as you start a mission, press forward and jump. See how long you disappear for? You're invincible that entire time, and it warps you right above an enemy where 3/4 of their attacks can't even hit you anyway. You still have your Air Hike and normal trickster dodge for defense, and you can jump off their head and basically keep going forever with Enemy Step.

VVVV Max Act doesn't replace the normal exceed, it's a smaller window inside it that charges all three.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Trickster is amazing and I basically alternate between it and Swordmaster to S-rank every mission, on SoS at least.

Okay, I have Max Exceed on Nero but it's still just filling one Exceed bar. Am I doing something wrong?

unrelated: it's neat that your unequipped breakers are on nero's belt.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I used breakers plenty of times on my first playthough. This lead to a problem of the game giving me nothing but buster arms in the late game when most stages were boss fights. I also find that on the SoS and DMD difficulties there are no longer any devil breakers lying around.

My favorite buster animation would probably be Artemis because you can mash the rev button, just like for Echidna in DMC4. Next would be behemoths because the spinning animation is really cool and then death scissors; that punch looks devastating.

Looking forward to seeing some new ones once the bloody palace hits.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also is Balrog's back-Circle gauntlet attack the killshot i think it is because lord on high does that uppercut do a shitload of damage

i'm not much good at Royal Guard so i tend to alternate between that and Cavaliere when i need to drain a lifebar fast

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

also is Balrog's back-Circle gauntlet attack the killshot i think it is because lord on high does that uppercut do a shitload of damage

i'm not much good at Royal Guard so i tend to alternate between that and Cavaliere when i need to drain a lifebar fast

Yes, Real Impact is an absurd shitload of damage whose only real downside is the windup and that isn't a huge one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The mission 17 boss is really silly in that if you use air trick and just keep swinging he literally cannot hit you. As in he will just hit the ground under you forever while you hover over it beating his face in. It's actually kind of stupid how much it ruins that fight.

That being said I have a S rank on every mission but 8 and 10. 10 I have no idea why I didn't get it but 8? Do I need to beat Urizen with Nero again to get it or is it just the fact I didn't do good enough getting up to him?

Also Urizen's name is the stupidest loving thing and I'm sad it took me 2 playthroughs to realize it's just Your Reason.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The Urizen fights where you lose are style ranked. You need to look at them as more about dodging for rank than doing damage, because it's easy to blow by the damage threshold that ends the fight on Dante's version.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also Urizen's name is the stupidest loving thing and I'm sad it took me 2 playthroughs to realize it's just Your Reason.

that, and also this

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's a reference to William Blake, like everything V/ergil says.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think my idea is funnier :(

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Dear Sweet Baby Sparda I really need to actually look through the move list. I keep finding things the characters do that I never actually thought to try.

For example (Late game weapon spoilers) If you hold circle in Swordmaster while using the Dante sword? Your spectral swords start revving up and you can throw them out to let them do damage independently.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Flytrap posted:

Dear Sweet Baby Sparda I really need to actually look through the move list. I keep finding things the characters do that I never actually thought to try.

For example (Late game weapon spoilers) If you hold circle in Swordmaster while using the Dante sword? Your spectral swords start revving up and you can throw them out to let them do damage independently.

yes, and that move is extremely useful for the final boss. use summoned swords on me? too bad I got summoned swords of my own also now they are chasing you no matter how far you try to teleport away

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What is this, opposite world?

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Trying to track down the very last blue orb is a little painful but I get to style on dudes!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, Real Impact is an absurd shitload of damage whose only real downside is the windup and that isn't a huge one.

There's also the downside of 'distortion is gone and I'm sad'

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

But you want to swap them on the fly so you don't have to break them, yes? Otherwise yeah, I'm not understanding your point.

So I don't have to break them simply to change. I don't mind breaking them if I get hit, or if I want to use the super, but I don't want to be like "dang I have a rocket punch but I just picked up a healer.... so I guess I'll just throw the healer away to use the rocket again"

Like why not let me swap to rocket, then when I get hit it breaks, or if I use the breaker, and then I still have the healer left over? Rather than just wasting it to swap.

The "play with what you're given" is kinda cool, except some of the arms are way more fun than others.

K8.0 posted:

If you get a Sweet Surrender, just pop it immediately.

And if you're at full health that seems silly. Then later in the level you're at half health like "oh gee, if only I had a sweet surrender"

That's all I'm saying. But its just my preference, dude, nothing to get worked up about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

So I don't have to break them simply to change. I don't mind breaking them if I get hit, or if I want to use the super, but I don't want to be like "dang I have a rocket punch but I just picked up a healer.... so I guess I'll just throw the healer away to use the rocket again"

Like why not let me swap to rocket, then when I get hit it breaks, or if I use the breaker, and then I still have the healer left over? Rather than just wasting it to swap.

Because then you would do exactly what you want to do, which is conserve them like they're rare and valuable and treat them like a style shift. You've basically summed up why them being limited in change is important because it means you have to treat breaking as a basic part of gameplay and not "I must conserve this."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

Because then you would do exactly what you want to do, which is conserve them like they're rare and valuable and treat them like a style shift. You've basically summed up why them being limited in change is important because it means you have to treat breaking as a basic part of gameplay and not "I must conserve this."

But I'm saying that's what I'm already doing, lmao. "Its too bad you're conserving arms, we can't let you swap them though because then you'll conserve arms" doesn't make sense!

Dunno if you read my past post or just jumped to conclusions but that's twice now you've completely misunderstood something I've gone out of my way to explain; if you're not going to bother having a conversation why even post. You're just arguing with a strawman if you're not going to take the time to actually understand my view.

Sincerely hope you have a good day ImpAtom and enjoy the excellent game DMC5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

But I'm saying that's what I'm already doing, lmao. "Its too bad you're conserving arms, we can't let you swap them though because then you'll conserve arms" doesn't make sense!

Dunno if you read my past post or just jumped to conclusions but that's twice now you've completely misunderstood something I've gone out of my way to explain; if you're not going to bother having a conversation why even post. You're just arguing with a strawman if you're not going to take the time to actually understand my view.

I do understand your view. You just seem to be ignoring what everyone else is telling you about how the game is designed and then trying to act hurt and offended when people don't agree with you.

Yes, you are conserving arms, because you are afraid to use all the mechanics available to you for no reason. The game is specifically designed to encourage you to use those mechanics and for most people it works. The fact that it doesn't work on you because you are stubbornly refusing to use the mechanic doesn't make it a design failure.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

And if you're at full health that seems silly. Then later in the level you're at half health like "oh gee, if only I had a sweet surrender"

This is where you are getting caught up. This is a very silly game. It wants you to throw away arms. I've never once been healed from a sweet surrender.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I do understand your view. You just seem to be ignoring what everyone else is telling you about how the game is designed and then trying to act hurt and offended when people don't agree with you.

Yes, you are conserving arms, because you are afraid to use all the mechanics available to you for no reason. The game is specifically designed to encourage you to use those mechanics and for most people it works. The fact that it doesn't work on you because you are stubbornly refusing to use the mechanic doesn't make it a design failure.

Hahaha, how are you upset about this. I'm sorry I'm bad and play videogames wrong. Okay? Lmao.

Dude I said it was a design flaw of Resident Evil. I was comparing it to DMC5 but they're not the same game and lots of things are different and how are you mad about this. That's the 3rd time you've misinterpreted something I've said to get mad about it, that's really not healthy dude.

kater posted:

This is where you are getting caught up. This is a very silly game. It wants you to throw away arms. I've never once been healed from a sweet surrender.

It is indeed. It wasn't supposed to be a big deal which is why I said that multiple times but what can you do. And its not even an issue with Dante or V.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Cuntellectual posted:

Okay, I have Max Exceed on Nero but it's still just filling one Exceed bar. Am I doing something wrong?

I assume you mean Max Act? And if you rev perfectly during a sword swing you still only get one pip?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Dante has a bigger issue where you can't use the fire punch gloves and the fire staff at the same time.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

kater posted:

Dante has a bigger issue where you can't use the fire punch gloves and the fire staff at the same time.

This but Faust and Kalina 2.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm not finding SOS hard but I can't get good ranks with Nero. Idk I just can't land hits consistently enough or something.

E: I never rev... I also take one deflating hit at the end of every fight ugh

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 14, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahaha, how are you upset about this. I'm sorry I'm bad and play videogames wrong. Okay? Lmao.

Dude I said it was a design flaw of Resident Evil. I was comparing it to DMC5 but they're not the same game and lots of things are different and how are you mad about this. That's the 3rd time you've misinterpreted something I've said to get mad about it, that's really not healthy dude

For someone saying they are misunderstood, you're sure trying super hard to paint me as angry at you so you can win whatever imaginary battle you have going on your head. v:shobon:v

JBP posted:

I'm not finding SOS hard but I can't get good ranks with Nero. Idk I just can't land hits consistently enough or something.

E: I never rev...

You can get by without revving as long as you're using other mechanics. Are you making sure to taunt/charge shot/etc?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Weird pointless arguments with Zaphod are a recurring thing. I'm amazed you guys even try.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha, Urizen is so tall that you can use the wall jump on his chest and back. I didn't bother to try that on my first playthrough.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
S-Rank of SOS difficulty done, now i get to begin the hell grind that is s-ranking DMD, Human mode, and Hell and Hell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Out of all the playable characters Nero feels the most intuitive to me, although you have to work a little more than V to S-Rank. I don't even fully understand how Exceed works but I spam it like it's an EX input for a fighting game and things work themselves out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ImpAtom posted:

You can get by without revving as long as you're using other mechanics. Are you making sure to taunt/charge shot/etc?

Yeah. I should probably calm down. I always get hit when I hit S and mash a bit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

For someone saying they are misunderstood, you're sure trying super hard to paint me as angry at you so you can win whatever imaginary battle you have going on your head. v:shobon:v

So I can win?! I literally said "I'm sorry I'm bad and play videogames wrong" what else do you need?

I concede. You win. I was wrong. I'm sorry! Holy moly.

I've been trying to tell you to just back off like 5 times now and I'm the one with the imaginary battle? You're tilting at windmills ImpAtom.

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you legit think I'm being sarcastic? I really really do not know what you want. Please leave me alone.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 14, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kikas posted:

I briefly remember reading somewhere that Overture will not only block enemy attacks, but it will also reflect enemy projectiles. Is it possible to reflect those bigass orbs that Urizen is chucking at you with it? Or with anything else? Cause I really really miss that mechanic from DMC4 where you could counter projectiles with Buster attacks, reflecting spears at Credo and whatnot.

Gerbera reflects stuff in general from what I've seen.

Not sure if Overture reflects but I have seen that it interrupts some big attacks really well, like the giant Proto Angelo guys charging up an attack - sometimes Overture will straight up parry away their hit, and then and hit them (Which I think you can do with a well timed melee attack), sometimes Overture will just go straight through their attack and hit them but you won't take damage.

Overture is my favorite arm actually - it's a good strong hit, it can launch enemies that are otherwise very hard to launch with a normal launcher or grabbing out of midair (pressing O on a downed enemy has a special animation for this that pops them up). And I LOVE the Break Age, especially when you plant a couple in a boss successfully and end the battle with a single bullet to detonate them.

I need to spend more time slotting in a couple of Overtures before I go into boss battles, they're cheap too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Overture and Gerbera both reflect projectiles, and yes you can do it to Urizen. It is an incredibly badass thing to do and you should do it all the time always.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I always forget to Rev as Nero, unless I am doing that one Combo where he attacks, waits a bit, and then just mashes his sword into the enemy over and over and over. (Triangle, Pause, mash Triangle) The timing to rev correctly on that combo feels very easy and you're just mashing so you're not too distracted. I think I can rev pretty accurately on his first default swing in general and go from that to something else more useful. I always feel like I'm not using the Rev stuff properly, but I focus a LOT on making sure I have charge shots always ready to go and I'm using the hands a lot.

I found myself unintentionally using loving Claw Style in 2019

CJacobs posted:

Overture and Gerbera both reflect projectiles, and yes you can do it to Urizen. It is an incredibly badass thing to do and you should do it all the time always.

More proof Overture is the best hand

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Revving is great because opening up with lvl 3 stinger is hilarious.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
holy moly at those DMD enemy health values. That Empusa Queen in the prologue felt like it had more health than most SoS bosses. poo poo's tedious as gently caress. Basic mooks seem just barely in the tolerable range at least

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jesus christ, guys, stop arguing with Zaphod, there's no point. It will never stop.
Same poo poo was going on in the DOOM thread not too long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He defended Battlefront 2 at launch and I can never forgive him for it