Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

And its not Andrew Gillum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
He's running.

Good, makes it less likely for Biden to win.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1105992708433301504

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mince Pieface posted:

Where the hell do you live that the suburbs are some insanely rich nazi breeding ground? Where I live the suburbs frequently have 50%+ POC and mostly working class, on the level of teachers, low-mid government positions, or research science, making 40-80k

Not talking about those people obviously, statistically they support Bernie in the primary anyway.
We're talking about the NeverBernies making above the national median

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Not talking about those people obviously, statistically they support Bernie in the primary anyway.
We're talking about the NeverBernies making above the national median

Gotcha, sorry. I'm fortunate to not know many of that type but I've seen them around when I had to use Nextdoor to find a cat and it was all people reporting seeing a black person outside

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

VitalSigns posted:

statistically they support Bernie in the primary anyway.

...do they? My understanding from most polling was that Biden had a slight edge with most of those groups. Bernie shines when you hone in age-wise and exclude the olds, though.

VitalSigns posted:

You're trying to use a D+6 result for all college educated white women as the result for college educated white women making above the median income (by definition a minority of the demographic you're citing polling for) and it doesn't work that way, especially given what we know about the relationship between income and voting tendency.

I feel like we're conflating a lot of metrics in a way that's sort of missing the original point. The claim under discussion was that there exists a significant pool of voters who voted Dem in 2018 but would not vote Dem in 2020 if Bernie is on the ballot, and then there were a lot of different angles to identify who this pool was. My contention is that the Dems' strength in 2018 came from a lot of factors, obviously, but one big one was turnout by college-educated suburban women; this is also the cohort that has a lot of NeverBernie #Resistance types. If you're saying that you're only talking about the most affluent tier of those voters, I think that's a plausible argument; I still don't totally agree with it, because I think most of those voter voted R in 2018 in the first place, but it's a more plausible argument. My whole point is that the cohort as a whole will pull the lever for Bernie, however grudgingly.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 14, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Z. Autobahn posted:

...do they? My understanding from most polling was that Biden had a slight edge with most of those groups. Bernie shines when you hone in age-wise and exclude the olds, though.

Beto is going to a lot of the centrist support for Biden I think. Makes it more likely that Bernie or Warren come out on top.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beto is going to take a lot of nobody's support, nobody is going to give a single gently caress

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Beto is going to a lot of the centrist support for Biden I think. Makes it more likely that Bernie or Warren come out on top.

Warren is DOA in any universe where Bernie is on the ballot, but yes, the more plausible centrists run, the better Bernie's odds. I was responding to the claim that those groups statistically back Bernie, though, which isn't really true unless you caveat it with "if you ignore Biden"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Beto is going to take a lot of nobody's support, nobody is going to give a single gently caress

If you assume Biden's support is going to collapse and maybe a third goes to Bernie because of name recognition, and maybe two thirds goes to other centrists, who do you think they're going to go to? Biden is the one among them that has some real charisma, so he's going to get most of them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Beto's vanity campaign is already annoying.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Charlz Guybon posted:

He's running.

Good, makes it less likely for Biden to win.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1105992708433301504

I think I hate Beto more than anyone else in the. What an uppity little power thirsty piece of poo poo. At least Harris and Biden were Senators. What the gently caress has Beto every done?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

I think I hate Beto more than anyone else in the. What an uppity little power thirsty piece of poo poo. At least Harris and Biden were Senators. What the gently caress has Beto every done?

FDR, TR, Lincoln, Washington, none of them were senators, half of them were never governors.

That's not why Beto shouldn't be elected president.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Beto did say he would take down the wall in El Passo. I like that. So there's that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Silver seems to think that a brokered convention is relatively likely.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1105884656484794368

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Charlz Guybon posted:

FDR, TR, Lincoln, Washington, none of them were senators, half of them were never governors.

That's not why Beto shouldn't be elected president.

Washington was a war hero and the only man for the job. The Roosevelts were both governors of a major state.

The Roosevelts and Lincoln were men with vision. Beto has nothing—just has a naked lust for power. I’d feel better about President Biden.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1105819569334165504?s=19

Good take.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Charlz Guybon posted:

best of luck to minneapolis on the riots that will ensue when beto ekes out the nomination over sanders and biden on the 20th ballot

Charlz Guybon posted:

think you are assuming that most people have coherent ideological positions and don't just vote for "whoever sounds good"

per morning consult, the second choice for biden voters is sanders and the second choice for sanders voters is biden

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 14, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KingNastidon posted:

This is just Vox making the numbers work, but probably, yes!!!!! Even those semi-affluent suburban woman earning $70-$100k you reference [and especially so if their partner is earning that much or more given statistical differences in income]. Given the Vox chart, that puts you in the $200k+ category which is where one has to at least think about "drat, am I getting the short end of the stick here? I thought we just wanted to soak the millionaires and billionaires?"

This doesn't mean they're right or that these policies aren't the moral thing to do, but I think Bernie has to make the choice to go think tank wonk (Matt Bruenig isn't gonna cut it) and clearly state how he's going to fund this stuff, as I imagine this is the only route democrats have against him in primary. Or just ignore it and hope people don't care.

I revert often revert back to M4A much to many posters here's enjoyment, but he has to explicitly make the case to these people they aren't going to be losers. Enter in your current premiums + OOP and benefits vs. what you'll pay in taxes + how services will change while being honest about knock-on effects eg "rationing" as it exists in some form in Canada/Europe.

Why? People who make that much money are a very tiny portion of the population (the sort of income you're talking about is the top 5%, and probably even less when you consider that the Democratic Party is lower income on average than the Republicans), and the sort of person who makes that much money and is willing to reject a candidate because they'll increase their taxes is someone we don't want in the Democratic coalition to begin with. It's literally no different than being considered that racists might be put-off by Obama or something.

And as for "how do you pay for it"; there is no reason to bring this up until absolutely necessary, and when/if it becomes necessary you can just vaguely say "by increasing taxes on high earners." Hardly anyone is going to actually care about the specifics (and nor should they, at least in the context of "should I support this").

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

I feel like there's two different things here. It's relatively likely that the candidate won't win on the first ballot, but that's not the same thing as a contested convention where poo poo is going down. Everyone knows a convention floor brawl is mutually-assured destruction for every candidate, which means that the delegate leader going into the convention functionally wins. Like if it's a scenario where it's X - 40%, Y - 30%, Z - 25%, Candidate X just going to win on the second ballot, regardless of who X is. Also he's ignoring that a lot of the brokering and delegated exchanges are going to happen in the run-up to the convention to ensure it goes smoothly. The only scenario where a true shitshow would go down is if the %s are super close, like, within 1%, but that's way less likely.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

best of luck to minneapolis on the riots that will ensue when beto ekes out the nomination over sanders and biden on the 20th ballot

milwaukee

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Beto, instead of doing the responsible thing and run for Senate, chose instead to run for the Presidency.

Never mind his policy positions, that alone is enough of a reason not to vote for him.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

B.O'.R - 3rd most likely to win IA though he did see his #s drop from 10% - > 5% there. A very 90's politician.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

think you are assuming that most people have coherent ideological positions and don't just vote for "whoever sounds good"

per morning consult, the second choice for biden voters is saneders and the second choice for sanders voters is biden

Sounding good is Beto's best quality.

I accounted for that 3rd going to Bernie in my original post.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Z. Autobahn posted:

I feel like there's two different things here. It's relatively likely that the candidate won't win on the first ballot, but that's not the same thing as a contested convention where poo poo is going down. Everyone knows a convention floor brawl is mutually-assured destruction for every candidate, which means that the delegate leader going into the convention functionally wins. Like if it's a scenario where it's X - 40%, Y - 30%, Z - 25%, Candidate X just going to win on the second ballot, regardless of who X is. Also he's ignoring that a lot of the brokering and delegated exchanges are going to happen in the run-up to the convention to ensure it goes smoothly. The only scenario where a true shitshow would go down is if the %s are super close, like, within 1%, but that's way less likely.
If X is Bernie and Y/Z is Harris/Beto or Beto/Harris why wouldn't they pair up with the lower of the two becoming VP?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Same deal if X is Harris or Beto, and Y/Z is Bernie/Warren

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Because they understand that doing so will cause genuine riots and destroy any chance anyone has of winning the general, and despite the sentiment in this thread, I don't think either side of the centrist/leftist split is dumb enough to do that.

While it might feel online like the conflict between centrists and leftists is apocalyptic, in reality, while there's absolutely tension, there's also much more party unity. Bernie still campaigned his rear end off for Hillary. AOC still defers to Pelosi. Lee still endorsed Harris. On SomethingAwfulDotCom and Twitter, leftists and centrist might shiv each other and scream NeverBernie or BernieOrBust, within the actual edifice of the party, everyone understands that they're allies and is willing to work together to prevent a Trump re-election.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 14, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Z. Autobahn posted:

Because they understand that doing so will cause genuine riots and destroy any chance anyone has of winning the general, and despite the sentiment in this thread, I don't think either side of the centrist/leftist split is dumb enough to do that.

While it might feel online like the conflict between centrists and leftists is apocalyptic, in reality, while there's absolutely tension, there's also much more party unity. Bernie still campaigned his rear end off for Hillary. AOC still defers to Pelosi. Lee still endorsed Harris. On SomethingAwfulDotCom and Twitter, leftists and centrist might shiv each other and scream NeverBernie or BernieOrBust, within the actual edifice of the party, everyone understands that they're allies and is willing to work together to prevent a Trump re-election.

Eh...the political atmosphere in this country was just as partisan in the 19th century when contested conventions were common and people just got on board with their side no matter how much they bitched about it. People are fundamentally the same. They're team players who hate the other side and they're just going to moan about it online and then 88% of Bernie supporters or whoever will pull the (D) lever again.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

A strongly positive article about Bernie from... the National Review

It’s actually a really good article

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/03/dont-laugh-bernie-can-win/

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh...the political atmosphere in this country was just as partisan in the 19th century when contested conventions were common and people just got on board with their side no matter how much they bitched about it. People are fundamentally the same. They're team players who hate the other side and they're just going to moan about it online and then 88% of Bernie supporters or whoever will pull the (D) lever again.

You can't compare the politics of the 19th century with the mass media era. A much better point of comparison is the last time we actually had a contested convention. You know, where afterwards, Nixon won 301-191?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Beto couldnt even beat Ted loving Cruz.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

There are a million valid things to complain about Beto, but this isn't one of them, because no Dem alive could beat Ted Cruz in Texas in 2018.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Z. Autobahn posted:

There are a million valid things to complain about Beto, but this isn't one of them, because no Dem alive could beat Ted Cruz in Texas in 2018.

I guarantee he will insist he can turn Texas blue in 2020.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Unoriginal Name posted:

Lincoln couldn't even beat Douglas!
Nixon couldn't even beat Pat Brown for governor!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

VitalSigns posted:

:ughh:
Hitler's Electoral Support: Recent Findings and Theoretical Implications

My god man suburbs have existed since at least industrialization, why is every single post of yours the smuggest most ignorant poo poo gah. Do me a favor, next time your finger hovers over 'submit reply', read back over your post and think to yourself "hey do I actually know whether suburbs have ever existed outside of 1950s America" and then you can think "oh wait no I don't, should I really be posting authoritatively on subjects I know nothing about?" then click the back button and do some research or ask a question or something.

https://www.johndclare.net/Weimar6_Geary.htm

quote:

Surprisingly, the first electoral breakthroughs enjoyed by the Nazis came in Protestant rural areas, such as Schleswig-Holstein and Lower Saxony, where peasant voters had earlier registered discontent with their traditional representatives from the DNVP (German National People's Party or Nationalists). In fact this was more than a little ironical, as Nazi propaganda had initially targeted urban workers, and the Nazi agrarian programme developed in 1928 was only in response to the expansion of support in these areas. Subsequently the constituencies with the highest proportion of Nazi voters were in Protestant farming communities; and by 1932 the stream of peasant deserters to Hitler's party had become a torrent. Many rural labourers, often influenced by the estate managers, voted for the NSDAP in July 1932. Indeed, the scale of agrarian support for the party in that election suggests the Nazis were able not only to win the support of peasants and rural labourers but also that of some large landowners.

lol vitalsigns like learned how to use google book search and now he's an expert on nazi electoral politics, without considering that, yes while suburbs around hamburg voted Nazi, the strongest strength of the nazi vote was rural area and protestant small towns. Which undermines his entire argument that suburbs are the "base of fascism" or w/e.

I will admit that Suburbs did exist and I should have qualified that it did not exist on the mass scale it did post-war and consequentially have lower impact electorally. I shall make the appropriate self-criticisms!

Typo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 14, 2019

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lincoln couldn't even beat Douglas!
Nixon couldn't even beat Pat Brown for governor!

I graciously disrespect your post.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/jamilsmith/status/1105999433353748480?s=21

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

I mean, I'll say that I think Beto has more of a chance than MOST of the B-list, like Warren, Klobuchar, Booker, etc... if Biden flames out (very likely) and the public doesn't take to Harris (increasingly likely) then he's lined up reasonably for a shot at being the Centrist Alternative. But man, that's still a lot of IFs to basically stake your entire political future on.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Beto is easily top 4 behind biden/bernie/harris

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Yes!

https://twitter.com/petebuttigieg/status/1105912069872848898?s=21

I so want him on the debate stage

Adbot