Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Play posted:

You're not getting this.

I'm getting it perfectly, I just think you're over complicating it. It's pretty basic football knowledge that the same position plays differently in different schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm getting it perfectly, I just think you're over complicating it. It's pretty basic football knowledge that the same position plays differently in different schemes.

Or even different players at that position in a similar scheme. Nobody would say Harrison Smith doesn't play safety because he's often near the line of scrimmage.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
lol play is a dumbass when it come to linebackers

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

IcePhoenix posted:

When you compared it to AP and Dalvin Cook playing differently it made me think that you didn't get what I was saying, but that's fine. In my experience playing off the ball and on the ball are different enough in every part of the job to necessitate different labels. It makes no sense whatsoever to call them by the same name, in a league where players are constantly switching teams and schemes.

In any case, I'm aware of the different schemes but what confused me is that he was going into a 3-4 with the Jets, where his position would be ILB because he plays off the ball, not OLB. So I was wondering if they were actually planning to move him to 4-3 OLB or if the terminology was just getting screwy. Turns out it's just the terminology.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Or even different players at that position in a similar scheme. Nobody would say Harrison Smith doesn't play safety because he's often near the line of scrimmage.

This isn't the same situation, either. Safeties play in the box all the time, and Harrison Smith plays deep too. In this case he's just a safety that is used in the box more than average, but still a safety.

Whatever, from now on I'm gonna use SLB , MLB and WLB for strong, middle and weakside off-ball linebacker. OLBs are 3-4 on-ball outside pass rushers. Seems like a lot of places have already started using this nomenclature in any case, if you look at this depth chart that's how they do it: https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/MIN

Dubious posted:

lol play is a dumbass when it come to linebackers

sure it's real smart to call totally different things by the same name :rolleyes:

If I hear about a college player and he plays "outside linebacker", personally I'd like to know what position he actually plays without having to guess what scheme some random college chooses to run

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1105604959654068224

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1105609284795154433

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Play posted:

In any case, I'm aware of the different schemes but what confused me is that he was going into a 3-4 with the Jets, where his position would be ILB because he plays off the ball, not OLB. So I was wondering if they were actually planning to move him to 4-3 OLB or if the terminology was just getting screwy. Turns out it's just the terminology.

Honestly he likely would have been an olb for the jets he's a really good pass rusher

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this is loving underwhelming

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
nothing during what was said during Anthony Barr's short stint as a New York Jet suggested he was going to be anything other than an OLB, whether they're sticking with the 3-4 or converting to 4-3.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Browns are going to be better than the Lions this year

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Malaria posted:

Browns are going to be better than the Steelers this year. :getin:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why don't you call olbs that rush "edge" like everyone else

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

this is loving underwhelming

670 this morning- wow they're freeing up all this extra cap space theyre going big!!
670 this evening - what if the ball bounced off the crossbar the other way

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to be all upset about the Packers not going after one of the high profile Safeties in FA, but after seeing the numbers on that Collins deal and seeing them spend money on positions of need I think I'm good with this. The Thompson era is truly over, it seems.

I'm still dumbfounded by what I've seen from some mad fans though. Like, there are actual Packer fans (not just people posting ironic/silly poo poo in here) that wanted Brown and/or Bell.

LabyaMynora posted:

Browns are going to be better than the Steelers this year. :getin:

:getin:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Fenrir posted:

I was going to be all upset about the Packers not going after one of the high profile Safeties in FA, but after seeing the numbers on that Collins deal and seeing them spend money on positions of need I think I'm good with this. The Thompson era is truly over, it seems.

I'm still dumbfounded by what I've seen from some mad fans though. Like, there are actual Packer fans (not just people posting ironic/silly poo poo in here) that wanted Brown and/or Bell.

Brown and Bell are big names that an average fan knows about and are exciting skill positions. I think that's mostly the reason you'll see weirdo packer posting like that. It was like when I think they hired Mike Sherman, Steve Mariucci was available and everyone was clamoring for him.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Fenrir posted:

I would have been fine with trading for Brown tbh. Bell not so much.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Malaria posted:

They were better than the Lions last year....

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some Chicago fans aren't taking the Amos move well...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WHOOPS posted:

Seems like they'll be some heavily backloaded deals.

From what I've seen so far they're indeed backloaded, but it looks like most of the potential dead caps come in the first 2 seasons, so if they don't perform to expectations this year or next year then the Packers can cut them with minimal fuss. If they do perform well then they get their big pay raises and the Packers get a good player on a fair contract. Seems pretty well planned out to me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Some Chicago fans aren't taking the Amos move well...

I hate our fans.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Whatever it was one moron. And there’s already a bunch of dudes going to that guys page to call him a piece of poo poo

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If you run an amateur reporting social media page to follow one team your brain is already irreparably broken

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What the gently caress are the bears doing

I'm getting mad

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

What the gently caress are the bears doing

I'm getting mad

In what are you referring to? I haven't seen anything too dumb by the Bears.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cordarelle Patterson and the return of Ted Larsen doesn't seem too bad.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

GNU Order posted:

If you run an amateur reporting social media page to follow one team your brain is already irreparably broken

Same level dudes trying to obtain press passes without qualifications.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bird in a Blender posted:

In what are you referring to? I haven't seen anything too dumb by the Bears.

After a decade playoff drought they've immediately lost a couple solid players off their excellent defense and upgraded their bottom third offense with a 3rd string rb, kick returner who will be 7th in targets , and a backup guard

They have no 1st-2nd round picks and restructured mack to have more money to spend and aren't spending it.

Granted they aren't the colts sitting on 100mil but come on, now is the time Pace decides to reign in free agent spending, after years of going overboard?

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 13, 2019

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

After a decade playoff drought they've immediately lost a couple solid players off their excellent defense and upgraded their bottom third offense with a 3rd string rb, kick returner who will be 7th in targets , and a backup guard

They have no 1st-2nd round picks and restructured mack to have more money to spend and aren't spending it.

Granted they aren't the colts sitting on 100mil but come on, now is the time Pace decides to reign in free agent spending, after years of going overboard?

I must be missing the 2nd guy on defense because I can only think of Amos and he got way overpaid. Bears would have been silly to try and match that offer.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I must be missing the 2nd guy on defense because I can only think of Amos and he got way overpaid. Bears would have been silly to try and match that offer.

Callahan, best nickel corner in the league. Despite being in nickel and getting injured,
was 10th in snap count on defense. More snaps per games than akiem Hicks or Floyd, for instance

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 13, 2019

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Callahan, best nickel corner in the league. Despite being in nickel and getting injured,
was 10th in snap count on defense. More snaps per games than akiem Hicks or Floyd, for instance

He sure won’t be the best nickel corner in the league without the Bear’s front 7 and Fangio.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

I hate our fans.

All fan bases are poo poo. There's awful, racist fans of every team on the drat planet, and it takes roughly 2 minutes to search and find an example.

Just be content that your fan base and team has a long and storied history, has a SB victory in the books, Hall of Fame players, a vibrant culture, and is not Jacksonville.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Abugadu posted:

All fan bases are poo poo. There's awful, racist fans of every team on the drat planet, and it takes roughly 2 minutes to search and find an example.

Just be content that your fan base and team has a long and storied history, has a SB victory in the books, Hall of Fame players, a vibrant culture, and is not Jacksonville.

At least the Lions have two of those things. :unsmith:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Abugadu posted:

True. And for some reason I initially read that as a bunch of messages from multiple people, not just one dumbass.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Abugadu posted:

for sure. the vikings had to turn off comments of an instagram post congratulating kirk cousins on his new baby because there were fans littering the feed with poo poo talk about kirk himself. it's a great measuring stick for how much of a dipshit fan you really are.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Abugadu posted:

The fans here generally tend to be pretty awesome. You get a few bad apples here and there but largely they're chill here.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Well yeah SA has moderation, and repeated interactions with the same crowd. The internet at large does not, and drive-by shitposting has become the norm Out There.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abugadu posted:

Well yeah SA has moderation, and repeated interactions with the same crowd. The internet at large does not, and drive-by shitposting has become the norm Out There.

Not just moderation but an entry fee. You can't just create a new account in five seconds to continue shitposting.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

IcePhoenix posted:

Not just moderation but an entry fee. You can't just create a new account in five seconds to continue shitposting.

Lowtax just needs to court the shitposters with disposable income and SomethingAwful's money problems will solve themselves.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

iospace posted:

The fans here generally tend to be pretty awesome. You get a few bad apples here and there but largely they're chill here.

I really have to say, in the years I've posted in SAS I've really come to appreciate the vast majority of people here. I mean sure, I want all your teams to be burned to ash and the earth salted so that the Lions have some company in the dustbin of history (:v:), but for the most part you're all cool dudes I think I'd enjoy hanging out and watching a game with. Can't say that about many other places on the internet, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
This forum is the only discussion forum I can see discuss the Lions without making me want to murder everyone on the internet.

gently caress MLive.