Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
CVTs have a pretty bad rap. Formula 500 uses them and they look like pretty fun cars. Larger forms of Motorsport should mandate them, reprogram our lizard brains to associate fast cars with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VwbOv9lRTM

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

um excuse me posted:

CVTs have a pretty bad rap. Formula 500 uses them and they look like pretty fun cars. Larger forms of Motorsport should mandate them, reprogram our lizard brains to associate fast cars with them.

that looks fun as hell.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They track race in the actual series. The autocross is more of a demonstration that just because it doesn't make traditionally exciting noises, doesn't mean it can't be stupidly fun to do. F500 is a very cheap series to get into if you want to find an open wheel ride to rip around in. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cheaper than Formula Vee.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

um excuse me posted:

Their implementation in production cars was really poor and the confusion of new maintenance items led to a lot of reliability issues when people would use ATF in them. I'm warming to them because I know how good they can be and some are surprisingly fun, but most CVT's on the market are still boring as hell

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's... not a usual failure mode.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I did this to a cheap masonry bit recently.

Where have I seen this before? :thunk:

:flaccid:

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
the future of manual transmissions is a manual CVT where they give you a little lever to change the gear ratio yourself. for enthusiasts

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A lot of cvts have paddles so you can pick preset ratios and will fake shifts.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Those cunts aren't taking away my clutch pedal no way no how.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stranger danger posted:

the future of manual transmissions is a manual CVT where they give you a little lever to change the gear ratio yourself. for enthusiasts
Am I the only one who thinks a manual CVT with an analog lever allowing selection of any possible ratio would be pretty neat?

It'd be a lot better than the idiotic ones that pretend to be a normal automatic at least.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
It'd be gimmicky and IDK if it would stand the test of time but I'd give it a test drive.

Honestly CVTs aren't that bad (for commuting) if you have a smooth driving style. They do suck at low speeds though.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

stranger danger posted:

Hey if you're gonna do all that ya gotta bring back the ignition advance lever from the Model T

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

stranger danger posted:

It'd be gimmicky and IDK if it would stand the test of time but I'd give it a test drive.

Honestly CVTs aren't that bad (for commuting) if you have a smooth driving style. They do suck at low speeds though.

I've had occasion to drive my mom's Forester with a CVT, it seems as good or better than most modern manuals I've driven.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
It hit 54 degrees here today, so looking to switch out my winter tires in another couple weeks. Decided to take a look at the wheel I slapped with a curb back in November - the face is gouged to hell, but the tire is still sitting at 32 psi so I figure things can't be that bad.

Could the wheel still be OK? I did feel a wobble in the 100 feet I drove between the hit and the rollback truck, could have just been the bent control arm...

https://i.imgur.com/BVqtrXI.mp4

Nope she's a goner. :sadwave:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krakkles posted:

Totally a valid opinion, but why? I've only ever experienced it in rental cars (I.e., low end, prius, GMs, etc.) and it's never been a bother to me, and I'm curious why it bothers others.

Stopping the engine is cool and good in hybrids because they have big electric motors to pull away from the stop while the ICE turns over.

It’s annoying in every non-hybrid I’ve driven that had it. I’ll tolerate it for cleaner air, but the delay annoys me every time.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

There's no general judgement on start stop being good or bad, it depends on implementation.

If you already have a hybrid and you roll start the engine at least and you have some kind of traction battery, it's good.

If you micro hybrid a classic single motor powertrain with a start stop and a 12v battery you generally make things worse due increased battery degradation, starter degradation and wear on the crankshaft.

Theres some middle ground with mild hybrids, 48v systems and belt driven starter generators but that's a case by case one too.

Also if you have a manual and it's not freezing cold, start without engaging the clutch to prevent starting on a loaded and dry thrust bearing. This option obviously falls flat with automated start stops.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 14, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

It’s annoying in every non-hybrid I’ve driven that had it. I’ll tolerate it for cleaner air, but the delay annoys me every time.
It's way better in manuals too, because it kicks it over when you push the clutch and by the time you're in gear and letting go you've got RPMs.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Platystemon posted:

Stopping the engine is cool and good in hybrids because they have big electric motors to pull away from the stop while the ICE turns over.

I drive a 2006 Civic Hybrid. It restarts the engine as soon as you lift off the brake, making the whole process pretty much seamless.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, and most of the cars I've driven where it's not an issue, that's exactly the case as well - actually, you don't even have to come all the way off the brake, just lift slightly.

Again, it's an implementation or design issue. It's fine when it's well-designed (well, from a usability standpoint - the other points brought up about wear and tear, I have no idea), it suuuuuuucks when it's not.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Combat Theory posted:

Also if you have a manual and it's not freezing cold, start without engaging the clutch to prevent starting on a loaded and dry thrust bearing.

Uhhhhhhh What?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Also, that’s a Ford Excursion.

more of a wheel excursion

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

0toShifty posted:

Hey if you're gonna do all that ya gotta bring back the ignition advance lever from the Model T

Model A has a spark advance lever too! Also retains the steering column throttle, but it's linked to a normal gas pedal on the floor.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I often wonder if Ford would crank out a new Excursion how it would do. I think it would make a killing. But perhaps stretched Expedition fills enough need.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I often wonder if Ford would crank out a new Excursion how it would do. I think it would make a killing. But perhaps stretched Expedition fills enough need.

The Expedition EL is basically the new Excursion. It's longer and larger than a normal Expedition.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, that may be an implementation or specific issue - the ones I've driven are all started and running before I push the gas. And I say this as someone who tends to aggressively accelerate.

I know what I've run into in a lot of cars that really bugs me is throttle desensitization - I.e., it's drive-by-wire, and they have logic built in that maybe you didn't really mean to push the gas that hard and we're just going to wait a bit or cut the input in half because it's better for gas mileage.

In extreme examples, you can tap your foot (as in, depress and release the accelerator) to the beat of music while the car is moving without changing the speed/acceleration of the vehicle. What you describe kind of sounds more like that, to me, at least.

One of my absolute favorite things about having pre-DBW cars - despite the advantages DBW can confer - is the instantaneous and direct response. I'm pushing the pedal exactly as much as I want, thanks.

My wife had a 2012 Jetta for a while with the laziest DBW. I could jab the throttle all the way to the floor and up and the car wouldn't respond. I never got used to it and abhorred trying to drive it quickly. My '82 911 has a mechanical linkage all the way to the throttle, no cables, and it is an absolute joy to play with--it's like it reads my mind.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

IMO the style of DBW used by BMW (VANOS) are probably the best in terms of response since the throttle is always at WOT and its actually regulated by varying the valve lift. iirc Merc also does this.

(yes I know VANOS failures are a right loving pain in the rear end)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Combat Theory posted:

Also if you have a manual and it's not freezing cold, start without engaging the clutch to prevent starting on a loaded and dry thrust bearing. This option obviously falls flat with automated start stops.
Do you think release bearings are lubricated by the engine?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

slidebite posted:

Do you think release bearings are lubricated by the engine?

Thrust bearings are inside the block, so yes.

This is a thing done on race cars with stiff clutches as well. I doubt it matters with OEM parts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Insert crankwalk picture here

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Rigged Death Trap posted:

IMO the style of DBW used by BMW (VANOS) are probably the best in terms of response since the throttle is always at WOT and its actually regulated by varying the valve lift. iirc Merc also does this.

Valvetronic. VANOS is variable cam phasing, valvetronic is variable lift.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

FatCow posted:

Thrust bearings are inside the block, so yes.

This is a thing done on race cars with stiff clutches as well. I doubt it matters with OEM parts.

I got in so many arguments trying to prevent people who needed a clutch from buying the clutch their pipe dream yet to be built car might need.

gently caress whoever came up with the whole "stage 3" thing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

When I was younger and dumber, I swapped a ZC into a ‘91 Civic Si. Since I had this new hot poo poo 128hp/106lb-ft engine, I had to (and did) get what was, I think, a stage 2 clutch. Not the full puck design, but much heavier than normal.

Now I have 350lb-ft and the stock clutch holds it fine, thanks. Different car

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

VANOS (VAriable NOcken wellen Stuerung) is the variable cam timing system and does not affect lift. It is capable of phasing the intake / exhaust cams (for any dual VANOS anyway) +/- significant degrees relative to TDC, but it cannot affect valve lift or duration. It's used to move the torque curve at a given RPM, which does have some impact on throttle response but maybe not for the reason you're thinking.

e: and it definitely doesn't keep the throttle wide-open at all times. So yeah, definitely not for the reason you're thinking.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
BMW does do what he's thinking of, he just got the wrong name. It's Valvetronic, not VANOS.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yup. I was wrong, its Valvetronic.
But every DBW car Ive driven that uses that method has been miles better than others doing it solely by an actuated throttle body. Granted though theyve either been manual or have their throttle response raised to razor edge precision when put into manual gear selection.

Variable valve control is the good poo poo

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 15, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Variable valve control is the good poo poo

I cannot wait to drive something with Freevalve, or something like it. Why yes, I'd like my Gen 9 small block to idle like a smog-cam 7.5:1 454, but have three-quarters of an inch of lift and 265° duration above 4000rpm, please.

:getin:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I cannot wait to drive something with Freevalve, or something like it. Why yes, I'd like my Gen 9 small block to idle like a smog-cam 7.5:1 454, but have three-quarters of an inch of lift and 265° duration above 4000rpm, please.

I mean at that point, if you're idling for any amount of time you have further you can go.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Combat Theory posted:

Also if you have a manual and it's not freezing cold, start without engaging the clutch to prevent starting on a loaded and dry thrust bearing.

My car has a switch on the pedal and won't even start unless I have the clutch pressed in.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Freevalve is not a feasible technology. For a mechanically disconnected valvetrain to be efficient enough to overcome the conversion losses it has to be either be pneumatically or hydraulically fired. As you might be able to guess those options aren't financially viable. I did research into this about a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

um excuse me posted:

Freevalve is not a feasible technology. For a mechanically disconnected valvetrain to be efficient enough to overcome the conversion losses it has to be either be pneumatically or hydraulically fired. As you might be able to guess those options aren't financially viable. I did research into this about a decade ago.

Well look what we have here everyone, someone that rains on our parade and dreams by introducing laws of thermal-dyamics.