Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

KidDynamite posted:

Anyone have an extremely sturdy cat tree they can recommend? I'm not looking to break the bank but also want something the cats won't be afraid to climb up on.

Looking at this one currently but the height between the first perch and the top perch is a little bit concerning for getting down purposes. I like the length from the floor to the first perch though because cats in general seem to love long vertical stretch scratches.

Pretty much anything Armarkat is good sturdy and reasonably priced. Give this one a look. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYQ1L4/ref=twister_B00C7OQHEA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Anyone have an extremely sturdy cat tree they can recommend? I'm not looking to break the bank but also want something the cats won't be afraid to climb up on.

Looking at this one currently but the height between the first perch and the top perch is a little bit concerning for getting down purposes. I like the length from the floor to the first perch though because cats in general seem to love long vertical stretch scratches.

Where are you located? The real sturdy cat trees are the ones not made to be flat packed and shipped, if there is a local pet shop (not petco/petsmart) that has cat trees, ask them who made them. Or just looks for a guy making them on Craigslist.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

wandler20 posted:

Ugh, one of my cats has been peeing in my sons room. The bathroom where we have the litter box is literally right across the hall from his room. I just cleaned the carpets in his room where she was doing it hoping to get the smell out of there (which wasn't too bad). She would normally do it under his bed up against the wall. Well I just walked by his room and she was squatted in a different part of the room, in a open area where I could see her getting ready to do it again. Any ideas what I can do to stop this? I'm keeping his door shut for now.

So I don't have any first hand experience with this issue, feel free to take this with a grain of salt. When I was bringing my kitten in for his initial vaccinations, the vet mentioned that cats can randomly decide they want to poo poo in one area and pee in another. He recommended setting up two litter boxes for the cat to choose from as a preventative measure, I'm not sure if this would work if the behavior has been established already though.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Boogalo posted:

Pretty much anything Armarkat is good sturdy and reasonably priced. Give this one a look. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYQ1L4/ref=twister_B00C7OQHEA

We have this one and it's great. We do put it in a corner, as it has a bit of wobble when they hit it at high speeds. It's never been at risk of toppling though.

We have another Armarkat one with a non-square base (almost an eye shape?) which is less sturdy. Wide base plus wider multileg (3+ I think) lower levels seem better in our limited experience.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

talktapes posted:

So I don't have any first hand experience with this issue, feel free to take this with a grain of salt. When I was bringing my kitten in for his initial vaccinations, the vet mentioned that cats can randomly decide they want to poo poo in one area and pee in another. He recommended setting up two litter boxes for the cat to choose from as a preventative measure, I'm not sure if this would work if the behavior has been established already though.

I do remember reading something that having more than one litter box is a good idea. I don't really have a good spot for a second unless I put it right next to the other one, not sure if that would help.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

wandler20 posted:

I do remember reading something that having more than one litter box is a good idea. I don't really have a good spot for a second unless I put it right next to the other one, not sure if that would help.

The normal official advice is n+1 boxes. Use enzymatic cleaner to remove ammonia residues. Hope to God it works. Because of some UT trauma in my cats early life he's got some anxiety related box-using issues and the vet recommended Prozac after we exhausted or other normal options and it's worked like gangbusters.

Other cats and automatic feeders will help with the meowing, along with feeding or playing with them without vocal prompting.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

A tip I picked up somewhere that seems to help is put a scratcher nearby where they peed. It gives them an alternative way to smell mark it if that was the issue.

Also, cats seem to never ever pee on the normal scratchers. We've had a problem cat who'll pee on almost anything (cardboard boxes, paper, and of course cat beds) but once we put a scratcher in a problem spot she never peed on or near it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Oh god, n+1 litter boxes?

Like, litter isn't expensive per se, but with 1 box I go through roughly 40lbs in just over a month.

At $20/40lb box, with 2 cats that'd be 3 litter boxes and thus $60/month.

I got spoiled with all my cats growing up (we had 4 over the years) all being indoor/outdoor, none of them used a litter box the vast majority of the time, they all went outside. We had one small litter box for if it was the middle of the night or snowy and they didn't want to go outside, so I just totally missed out on this aspect of cat ownership.

Of course we also had no idea wet food was actually professionally recommended, so both our cats and dogs just got tractor supply brand (4Health) dry food.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If you aren't having issues with two then no reason to change, I don't think most people follow that rule unless they're having issues (or live in a mansion).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I have 1 litter box :v:

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Annath posted:

I have 1 litter box :v:

Do you have zero cats???

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

UnfurledSails posted:

Do you have zero cats???

2catte

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
My cat Spartacus has really mastered the lazy cat thing. He’s a chonk and I love him. Our puppy tries to ‘play’ with him and Spartacus most of the time bats at him and tries to ‘fight’ back. I’d like to think they’re playing but I don’t know. Sometimes if I feel it’s getting too aggressive I’ll pull the dog off or hold the dog back to give Sparts the chance to run. But all he does is just lay down right where he’s at. He knows where to go to get where the dog can’t get him and sometimes he does, but most of the time he chooses to stay accessible. So does he enjoy playing with the dog or is he just lazy, chonk cat?

Cat tax of Spartacus being a dramatic rear end in a top hat

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Annath posted:

Oh god, n+1 litter boxes?

Like, litter isn't expensive per se, but with 1 box I go through roughly 40lbs in just over a month.

At $20/40lb box, with 2 cats that'd be 3 litter boxes and thus $60/month.

If they have more boxes, they're going to use each of them less. You might have some added cost, but your cats aren't going to triple their excretion just in response to more boxes.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We went down to 2 boxes (with 3 cats) and it's been working out. Though both boxes are auto cat boxes so they stay clean (a cat genie and a litter robot) and they are on opposite sides of the house. The two brothers have been sharing a litter box since before we adopted so it is what they are used to.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

n+1 is if you're cleaning once a day. If you're doing it more often you can get by with fewer.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm not even home every day, I'm on travel Monday mornings til Thursday afternoons.

I've been scooping once a week :ohdear:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Annath posted:

I'm not even home every day, I'm on travel Monday mornings til Thursday afternoons.

I've been scooping once a week :ohdear:

Your cats are alone for 4 days straight?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My two cats are all of 14lbs total for the both of them, but I have two enormous litterboxes and they can go 4-5 days between scoopings. They sit right next to each other.

https://www.amazon.com/Catit-Jumbo-Hooded-Cat-Litter/dp/B003RQVGKC

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

CeramicPig posted:

So does he enjoy playing with the dog or is he just lazy, chonk cat?

If he's not hissing, really fighting, or running away, he's fine.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

CeramicPig posted:

My cat Spartacus has really mastered the lazy cat thing. He’s a chonk and I love him. Our puppy tries to ‘play’ with him and Spartacus most of the time bats at him and tries to ‘fight’ back. I’d like to think they’re playing but I don’t know. Sometimes if I feel it’s getting too aggressive I’ll pull the dog off or hold the dog back to give Sparts the chance to run. But all he does is just lay down right where he’s at. He knows where to go to get where the dog can’t get him and sometimes he does, but most of the time he chooses to stay accessible. So does he enjoy playing with the dog or is he just lazy, chonk cat?

Cat tax of Spartacus being a dramatic rear end in a top hat

As someone else noted, it'll get loud and unmistakably unhappy if he doesn't want it. Unless he has mobility issues (or is truly cornered), the cat can probably get away if he really wants to, as well.

Growing up, our cats let our dogs know when they went too far by bringing out the claws. A few times of our over-eager dogs leaving with scratched snouts had them learn real fast. I'm not sure all cats would resort to that, though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

zakharov posted:

Your cats are alone for 4 days straight?

Oh, no, sorry, Tues - Thurs, so only 2 nights.

If I'm gone longer than that (not normal, but does happen occasionally) my brother comes to check on them.

But in general, yeah they have been doing just fine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man Domino starts breaking things if we leave him alone for an entire evening. He acts like a loner who doesn't need us in his life but he goes to pieces if we're gone too long.

And whenever either of us leaves he meows at the door for a couple minutes because he's heartbroken.

Of course you try to give him pets and he pulls back in disgust because how dare you try to touch him.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Mine do knock stuff around on the table, but they're getting better about it.

Nyx wants nothing more than to be with/around people all the time. When I get home, whether I've been gone for a few hours running errands, or a few days for work, she immediately climbs up my back to perch on my shoulder and curls up purring.

Noctis is also very affectionate, but he wants love on his own terms, so he'll wriggle away if you try to pick him up when he wants to be rubbing on your ankles.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Mine will sit in front of the door looking forlorn when I leave for work and runs squeaking when one of us returns. It worried us at first, even though we haven't been gone longer than a day so far, but I think the toys and treat-ball help a lot. It's probably different when you have multiple cats tho, we're already planning on getting her a buddy when we move to a bigger place someday.

edit:

I have to face this tiny black hole of disappointment every morning.

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 14, 2019

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Mine will sit in front of the door looking forlorn when I leave for work and runs squeaking when one of us returns. It worried us at first, even though we haven't been gone longer than a day so far, but I think the toys and treat-ball help a lot. It's probably different when you have multiple cats tho, we're already planning on getting her a buddy when we move to a bigger place someday.

Or right now. The more cats the merrier. Up to, you know, a reasonable limit.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

D1E posted:

Or right now. The more cats the merrier. Up to, you know, a reasonable limit.

I wish, but I just feel like multiple cats in a little 1 br would be impractical. we only have room for the one litter box as is, but we scoop multiple times a day. when we buy a house I'm planning on going full cat-lady tho.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Tater always runs up to greet us while meowing when we get home. I'm no vet but I don't think it's a distress indicator? Tail is up, he's rolling around and demanding playtime, etc. Seems like more excitement than loneliness, especially since he has plenty of toys.

What I don't get is how he doesn't really like to eat. It's very rare for him to finish his day's food. His energy level is fine and he's not losing weight, maybe he just has a tiny stomach?

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I think she's just happy to see us too, but it did make me worry about her being alone and bored all day. We got her more toys and she can hassle the treat-ball for food when we're not home so it's probably fine!

Can't relate on the food issue as Katya acts like she's never been fed in her life when we're in or around the kitchen at most times. She was found in a landfill and I think the shelter just let her graze, so I'm chalking it up to getting used to new feeding patterns.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I love your tiny disappointed soot sprite. :3:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ginger started hanging around the house about 3 months ago and one night she came for dinner and had a 4 inch laceration on her leg that we got cleaned and bandaged at the ER. That was about a month ago and we've had her inside ever since. We took her to the regular vet at least 5 times to get the bandage changed and they never indicated that she might be pregnant. She was getting fat but it just looked like she was happy to have a forever home and was just pigging out. Her behavior hadn't changed at all.

Anywho, this is what we woke up to today!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Congratulations on your new cats!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Oohhh torbies :kimchi:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Awwwww congrats!!!

zakharov posted:

What I don't get is how he doesn't really like to eat. It's very rare for him to finish his day's food. His energy level is fine and he's not losing weight, maybe he just has a tiny stomach?

One of ours does the same thing occasionally. Eats and leaves a bit of food (like 1 table spoon or two) and then her sister scarfs the rest up.

We’ve taught her sister to leave her dish alone and now when she comes back running past her bowl and meows like she’s hungry we sit her down at her bowl and she’ll happily continue eating what she just “finished” a couple minutes back. I guess she graduated top of her class at cat school or something,

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

pahuyuth posted:

Ginger started hanging around the house about 3 months ago and one night she came for dinner and had a 4 inch laceration on her leg that we got cleaned and bandaged at the ER. That was about a month ago and we've had her inside ever since. We took her to the regular vet at least 5 times to get the bandage changed and they never indicated that she might be pregnant. She was getting fat but it just looked like she was happy to have a forever home and was just pigging out. Her behavior hadn't changed at all.

Anywho, this is what we woke up to today!

Literally the exact same story of my cat KitKat I posted about last year when we finally lost her to old age :3:

Enjoy having 4 more cats, that's what happened to us.....

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I think she's just happy to see us too, but it did make me worry about her being alone and bored all day. We got her more toys and she can hassle the treat-ball for food when we're not home so it's probably fine!

I just have the one cat as well. I'm pretty sure she snoozes most of the day. I did put a bird feeder in the back yard for her entertainment though! Sometimes I think about getting a second cat to play with her, but she seems pretty happy and I'm worried they won't get along and I'll have two angry cats instead. :shrug:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Those are some cute as gently caress kittens :3:

InvisibleMonkey posted:

edit:

This is my life. Sad stare every morning when I leave for work, as soon as I walk in the door coming home Mel is right there, leads me to the couch in my bedroom, jumps on top of it, and starts relentlessly headbutting me until I pet and treat her. Not that I mind. :3:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Well at least one of them is enjoying the new play house thing...

He's just as engrossed in chewing the structure as he is batting the fuzzball.

https://i.imgur.com/mc5mYUl.gifv

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
Can anyone recommend a good water fountain? One of my furry little idiots has a UTI, and among other things I've already implemented (e.g. wet food, all the prescribed medicine for the UTI) the vet recommended a water fountain. I had tried a cheap one which sounded like a jet taking off, so I'd like to get one that's reasonably quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.catit.com/shop/flower-fountain/