Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I've been completely avoiding information about this game to preserve this experience, but now I have to ask: if I pull this off, do I win?

Because if so, I feel like I hit endgame at a really weird time. The highest Lantern I can muster right now is 13 :pwn:

edit: cropped the statbar because it had my real name in it :sweatdrop:

Yes, if you complete that rite, you end the game. Your goal now is to work on getting enough lantern. Have fun! :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
i didnt know how to acquire any marks at all until i was basically in victory lap territory

and then i got depressed and i havent finished that game lmao

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Just to note, since it's not readily apparent, ending the game isn't the only use for Rituals. The Ascension card is not required.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
http://weatherfactory.biz/mar-1-edwin-drood/

quote:

Aside from all that, Alexis has been working on our promised tweaks to the way research currently works. It’s one of the final pieces of Cultist‘s design we’re not that happy with, so he’s rejigging it a bit so it feels less punishing and RNG-dependent. That tweak will go live on the Steam beta branch later this week, so keep yer eyes peeled for the announcement on our social channels.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
This game has me by the brainstem bad.

Is there a way to increase passion/reason other than increasing creativity/scholarship?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

This game has me by the brainstem bad.

Is there a way to increase passion/reason other than increasing creativity/scholarship?

Nope. Sorry.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Technowolf posted:

Nope. Sorry.

Don't you occasionally get essays and books of poetry at shop/auction, or do those just feed into the updated attribute system now?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Didn't they always? I thought the only difference with essays/poetry was that they gave Lessons Learnt rather than just raw glimmering/erudition. Or am I misremembering?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Glazius posted:

Don't you occasionally get essays and books of poetry at shop/auction, or do those just feed into the updated attribute system now?

They give Lessons now instead of straight Passion/Reason.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Technowolf posted:

Nope. Sorry.

i mean there's rituals you can use, but it won't increase your total reason and passion; just swap one for the other

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Technowolf posted:

They give Lessons now instead of straight Passion/Reason.

Didn't they just used to give glimmerings and erudition

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rumda posted:

Didn't they just used to give glimmerings and erudition

Nope. Straight stats.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Just scored my first victory this evening (standard grail via bright young thing background). Didn't figure out how to open the Peacock Door or learn Vak or Phrygian. Are these all RNG things where I just didn't find the right items or are there special tricks I might have missed?

Also I romanced a follower right near the end and got the victory with her as an assistant - the ritual text said I needed 36 grail but it let me run the ritual with just 35. Something in the text suggested the requirements were lower because my assistant loved me - is that the case? How much lower?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Maugrim posted:

Just scored my first victory this evening (standard grail via bright young thing background). Didn't figure out how to open the Peacock Door or learn Vak or Phrygian. Are these all RNG things where I just didn't find the right items or are there special tricks I might have missed?

You probably missed the right tools to open the Door and never got the books for Vak or Phrygian. You could also summoned one of the unique spirits (Ezeem) to study Phrygian.

Vak can also be gotten from inside the Peacock door, as Vak is both a language and a Name. You can open the Peacock door with either of the two mirrors or a special Knock tool I forget the name of.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Do I need higher Lores and Influences to keep my summons from getting out of control so much, or am I just really really lucky in losing half of them?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

Do I need higher Lores and Influences to keep my summons from getting out of control so much, or am I just really really lucky in losing half of them?

I believe it's purely luck based.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Wait, Vak is a Name? Of which Hour?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Technowolf posted:

You probably missed the right tools to open the Door and never got the books for Vak or Phrygian. You could also summoned one of the unique spirits (Ezeem) to study Phrygian.

Vak can also be gotten from inside the Peacock door, as Vak is both a language and a Name. You can open the Peacock door with either of the two mirrors or a special Knock tool I forget the name of.

Frangiclave. The mirrors will need repairing every time you use them to open the door, but the special tool can be used repeatedly with no repairing or other faffing about.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Wait, Vak is a Name? Of which Hour?

I don't know if Vak is a Name. I was under the impression that Vak is the Peacock Door itself.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...
Vak is not a name as far as I'm aware. In irl occultist beliefs Vak is the first primeval cosmic sound all language is built from as well as a Vedic goddess of speach. I've seen it bastardized as well to just mean the language of gods as well.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vāc
(Cant get this to link right, copy and paste to view. It's a pretty good read for anyone into occult mythology. )

CrowdControl fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 12, 2019

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

ZeroCount posted:

I don't know if Vak is a Name. I was under the impression that Vak is the Peacock Door itself.

You're right. I was going off of incomplete memories while at work.

Kaethela posted:

Frangiclave. The mirrors will need repairing every time you use them to open the door, but the special tool can be used repeatedly with no repairing or other faffing about.

And the description for using that is ... interesting to say the least.

CrowdControl posted:

Vak is not a name as far as I'm aware. In irl occultist beliefs Vak is the first primeval cosmic sound all language is built from as well as a Vedic goddess of speach. I've seen it bastardized as well to just mean the language of gods as well.
(Cant get this to link right, copy and paste to view. It's a pretty good read for anyone into occult mythology. )

Here ya go.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

CrowdControl posted:

Ah, that'd explain why the Peacock Door refers to herself as a goddess.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Does the game remember any of your lives besides the one immediately prior to your current one?

I elected not to do the new game plus option after my bright young thing/grail victory because I felt I hadn't really done justice to the lore (in terms of reading/understanding) being too busy trying to figure out the mechanics. I'm now playing a physician/lantern game and taking copious notes, but does that mean I can never play an apostle to my grail protagonist?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pretty sure you have to do another grail standard victory first before you can do the grail newgame+

also: lol, guess Names aren't all they're cracked up to be

i also had king crucible fail to cross lockwood fen. rip fire elemental, thought of swamps and died

e: huh, triagulari appear bugged. he claimed a Fatigued health rather than one of the many, many non-fatigued healths i had, ending my game. nice.

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 13, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Maugrim posted:

Does the game remember any of your lives besides the one immediately prior to your current one?

I elected not to do the new game plus option after my bright young thing/grail victory because I felt I hadn't really done justice to the lore (in terms of reading/understanding) being too busy trying to figure out the mechanics. I'm now playing a physician/lantern game and taking copious notes, but does that mean I can never play an apostle to my grail protagonist?

Not unless you backed up a save. You can back up saves. (And edit them and stuff, they are just text files called save.txt )

Remember debug mode if you get to a point of "I want to be able to do NG+ without spending hours grinding out a new win"

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
is an artificial hour possible? a created being sprung from neither nowhere nor stone, that had no prior living existence? what would such an entity be?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

make mockery posted:

is an artificial hour possible? a created being sprung from neither nowhere nor stone, that had no prior living existence? what would such an entity be?

Yes the clockwork sun is a thing

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

also: lol, guess Names aren't all they're cracked up to be

what did you expect?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

make mockery posted:

A God From Steel or something like that probably.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Golem created by the Forge of Days?

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
im assuming that you would basically require the involvement of an hour for this, if for no other reason than to run interference on the others

the forge certainly seems the easiest candidate; were this set more thoroughly in the screaming future-present i could see the lionsmith being involved p easily by dint of him being associated with the technologization of war and this incidentally being the creation of an artificial intelligence, if by unorthodox means

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

make mockery posted:

Isn't that what the Chandler is?

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
i think the chandler is something of an immigrant hour, or maybe a foreigner w a timeshare

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah they're from another Mansus, i thought

in other questions, is there a loose writeup of the different histories anywhere?

ZeroCount posted:

what did you expect?

i expected my 90% chances to come off occasionally, which is the first step on the road to disappointment

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
would the horned-axe be the youngest god from stone? shes basically the original hour associated specifically w ritual magic n such, that seems like a fairly late arrival on the scene compared to tool use, or the concept of cycles, or the danger of predation

also, im curious if the horned-axe holding the crowned growth in check is something reflected in the world in the way that the hours conflicts tend to be? i dont know what the crowned growths influence in the world is, or if it indeed is allowed to have any

hm, i wonder if the crowned growth is an especial threat to the grail, if only in terms of historical precedent

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

in other questions, is there a loose writeup of the different histories anywhere?

I've thought about doing one, since I think I've got a pretty good idea of what Histories broke and when. The Second History, for example, probably ended with the death of the Sun-In-Splendour, since the first Worm War isn't until the Third. I assume the First History ended with the deaths of the Gods from Stone and the elevation of humans to define history but after that it gets a bit messier.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
the grail drank the tide. i shudder to think of the proper metaphor for the theoretical usurpation of the grail by the growth

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

ZeroCount posted:

I've thought about doing one, since I think I've got a pretty good idea of what Histories broke and when. The Second History, for example, probably ended with the death of the Sun-In-Splendour, since the first Worm War isn't until the Third. I assume the First History ended with the deaths of the Gods from Stone and the elevation of humans to define history but after that it gets a bit messier.

Aren't the Histories more like alternate parallel pasts?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

vetinari100 posted:

Aren't the Histories more like alternate parallel pasts?

That was my impression too. Whatever book it was claimed the Second History was the "real" (game world) one.

How much of the game is based on real-world occult history and existing written materials? Are the Histories a way to reconcile the conflicting accounts and systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Alexis Kennedy seems to prefer keeping the past in his games the same as the past we know, using alternate motives for RL events; he used the Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten's flirtation with monotheism in this way in Fallen London, and he used the Roman emperor Elagabalus' ditto the same way in Cultist Simulator. It seems like the alternate pasts are ways to go even further with historical figures, like Alexander the Great being tutored by the Colonel and turned back by Darius, or India being ruled by snake people, without encroaching on the 'real' history that matches our own.

As for real world occultism, I haven't seen any of the 'real' occultists or occult organizations of our history mentioned. They all seem to have been invented for the game.