Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Bercow is in a bad frigging mood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

¯\(°_o)/¯
Strong contender for April title.

Assuming there's an April.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Now it's Yakuza 0 time and I can ignore my impending demise for a few pleasant hours of kicking people in the face.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

kustomkarkommando posted:

MV3 and if that doesn't pass May goes to the EU an asks for an extension of some sort dependent on what they will allow
e;
my bad, hellworld, suffering contact brain damage from watching this, May's given herself one day to come up with a plan. Fantastic.

I hope bercow kills it out of sheer spite

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 14, 2019

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

catch up on riverdale which is almost as ridiculous as this

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Spangly A posted:

no, no

the extension is only if Mv3 passes.

Now that I read it, I think an extension is also on the table if MV3 fails, there's just some passive aggressive language (in paragraph 3) that the EU will not necessarily agree to an extension if the deal hasn't been accepted by Parliament. Paragraph 1 is independent of paragraph 2:

quote:

(1) notes the resolutions of the house of 12 and 13 March, and accordingly agrees that the government will seek to agree with the European Union an extension of the period specified in article 50(3);

(2) agrees that, if the house has passed a resolution approving the negotiated withdrawal agreement and the framework for the future relationship for the purposes of section 13(1) (b) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 by 20 March 2019, then the government will seek to agree with the European Union a one-off extension of the period specified in article 50(3) for a period ending on 30 June 2019 for the purpose of passing the necessary EU exit legislation

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 14, 2019

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lmfaoooooo

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’ve had no phone today what’s going on in our hell country

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

They're still gonna ask for an extension if MV3 fails.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

I’ve had no phone today what’s going on in our hell country

Back where we started with all the good of yesterday destroyed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sulphagnist posted:

Now that I read it, I think an extension is also on the table if MV3 fails, there's just some passive aggressive language that the EU will not necessarily agree to an extension if the deal hasn't been accepted by Parliament. Paragraph 1 is independent of paragraph 2:

Yeah that's my read too. Parliament isn't gonna just sit on its arse if MV3 fails.

It might not actually make progress but it's gonna argue about it a lot. Though going by today it's entirely possible they'll just keep doing "NO TO MAY'S DEAL" "NO TO ANYTHING ELSE ALSO" "LET'S VOTE ON MAY'S DEAL AGAIN" very loudly.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Bercow is in a bad frigging mood

He's been sat there since about midday and was probably gagging for a piss

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Lightningproof posted:

They're still gonna ask for an extension if MV3 fails.

I'd expect so, but I'd like to see it in official writing. Better still binding binding official writing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

By the way, regarding that earlier rumour, this motion has now at least in principle given the government a mandate to negotiate on the four year extension since paragraph 1 doesn't specify the length of the extension.

Also, it's a bit of a victory for May's deal advancing in the sense that a short extension and May's deal passing are now pretty joined at the hip. It reinforces yesterday's case the government is trying to make, that if you want Brexit, May's deal is the only game in town.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Health Secretary on Sky just said still leaving this month.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
have we started blaming labour for this yet

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MV3 and if that doesn't pass May goes to the EU an asks for an extension of some sort dependent on what they will allow

In other words, :tif:?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

motion states that Article 50 will be extended until 30 June, if MPs approve the prime minister's deal by 20 March.

If an agreement on a deal is not reached by the 20 March, the government will seek a more substantial extension, but the EU would have to agree to this and set the terms

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Sulphagnist posted:

the four year extension

I.e. so they can spend however long left under the Fixed Terms Parliaments Act loving everything up that's not just Brexit, then ideally loose the next election but leave the next government a jar of fermented poo poo?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Sulphagnist posted:

By the way, regarding that earlier rumour, this motion has now at least in principle given the government a mandate to negotiate on the four year extension since paragraph 1 doesn't specify the length of the extension.

I think the cunning plan here is that it leaves it open for May to go off, get their offer on an extension, then go back to parliament and go "here you go" and the usual suspects shout a lot about how it's too long and then go "well if you pass my deal we'll be done and dusted sooner eh"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
This is really gonna be No Deal, isn't it

Or (almost worse) May is going to actually win by holding the whole country hostage

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heners_UK posted:

I.e. so they can spend however long left under the Fixed Terms Parliaments Act loving everything up that's not just Brexit, then ideally loose the next election but leave the next government a jar of fermented poo poo?

A four year extension is kinda nonsensical really because this government can't negotiate a deal that the next government would have to honour.

So the only way it would make sense is if she called an election just after getting the extension so as to give (ideally her) the government the use of the full duration.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think the cunning plan here is that it leaves it open for May to go off, get their offer on an extension, then go back to parliament and go "here you go" and the usual suspects shout a lot about how it's too long and then go "well if you pass my deal we'll be done and dusted sooner eh"

Which of course will be followed by the proposal being voted down, May tabling her deal, and it being voted down and May instructed to ask for a shorter extension please...

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008

Stringer is my MP and he's a massive twat. Doesn't suprise me.

AFAIK he voted with the ERG in June also.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Barry Foster posted:

This is really gonna be No Deal, isn't it

Or (almost worse) May is going to actually win by holding the whole country hostage

That has quite obviously been the plan since the first meaningful vote, and Corbyns boxing clever strat has just been watching it happen.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

So there'll be an extension maybe, but only if May gets her terrible deal on the third attempt, and if not that, then no deal even though that was voted against?

I suggest finding some American football or maybe hockey pads to use as melee armor in the upcoming hellscape.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

bump_fn posted:

have we started blaming labour for this yet

Of course

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1106262839151472640

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Exactly, I edited that same point into my post! This is slowly reducing the options into:

- don't agree to my deal and we are stuck with the EU for four more years and god knows what will happen;
- agree to my deal and you will definitely get Brexit in some shape or form

It's leveraging the vast parliamentary majority against NDB to strongarm the hardliners into accepting the deal. However, the swivel-eyes still have the advantage in that just running out the clock until March 29 will also get them Brexit.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

OrthoTrot posted:

That has quite obviously been the plan since the first meaningful vote, and Corbyns boxing clever strat has just been watching it happen.

Any extension at all was unthinkable 6 months ago, positions are shifting for the better.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Going to look for tweets from fupees saying how it's wrong for May to hold votes until she gets the outcome she wants.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Julio Cruz posted:

Any extension at all was unthinkable 6 months ago, positions are shifting for the better.

Make your mind up mate. Last time we spoke you were in favour of brexit.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/AndrewDuffEU/status/1106265102720868352

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dehumanise yourself and face to Brexit.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I just started the uncommented stream. How hosed is the move by any amendments that passed so far? Does the move auto approve mays deal? Are we for it passing or failing?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I'm suspicious of the DUP if it comes to a third vote.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Rarity posted:

So if everything fails today what happens next? None of the flowcharts had this as an option

UKMT: None of the flowcharts had this as an option

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

it owns that these politicians and beaurocrats are so petty and self-righteous and self-aggrandizing and none of this actually loving matters to them at all, it doesnt actually affect them in any material way

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

OrthoTrot posted:

Make your mind up mate. Last time we spoke you were in favour of brexit.

...no? My avatar's pretty close to JFairfax's, you might be thinking of him?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

I just started the uncommented stream. How hosed is the move by any amendments that passed so far? Does the move auto approve mays deal? Are we for it passing or failing?

Only the main motion passed: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/14/mps-vote-by-majority-of-210-to-extend-article-50-and-delay-brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Headline is hopelessly misleading, since a delay is subject to EU approval and they won't unless it comes with some meaningful political change, end even then they might now.