Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

And I love Bayonetta. But I hated having to play a Space Harrier ripoff for 10 minutes for one of the best boss fights in the game. Just an awful decision.

This boss fight is loving incredible and god drat does it suck that it's such a slog to get to that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like how in Heaven or Hell mode V is suddenly the most difficult character to use.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Not to beleaguer the DmC bashing but loving lol at DMC5 selling more copies in a week then DmC did in it's entire run.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Just gonna say it: it's significantly less fun to replay Bayonetta because of the dumb minigame stuff.

And I love Bayonetta. But I hated having to play a Space Harrier ripoff for 10 minutes for one of the best boss fights in the game. Just an awful decision.

Similarly, whenever I revisit DMC1, I usually stop right before the Mundus fight because it just sucks so bad.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've never been able to get into Bayonetta, it seems like it has Tekken numbers of combos which I'm sure makes max rank easier but I can't remember how to do anything in the heat of the moment. DMC games have tons of stuff but a lot of it's split between style/weapons, so it's a lot easier for me to get a grasp on "these are the 8 things that the Red Queen can do." Am I misremembering Bayonetta?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Pwnstar posted:

I like how in Heaven or Hell mode V is suddenly the most difficult character to use.

I haven't reach Heaven or Hell in DMC5 yet, but can't you DMC2 your way (squaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquare) out of everything like in the older games?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Momomo posted:

With how bad a rap DMC2 gets I feel like I might end up enjoying it if I actually played it. Lowered standards are a powerful thing.

I'll get around to playing it someday. Maybe.

you won't

i played it for the first time a handful of months ago having been told nothing but "it's bad" since it came out

trip report: it's loving awful

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Momomo posted:

With how bad a rap DMC2 gets I feel like I might end up enjoying it if I actually played it. Lowered standards are a powerful thing.

I'll get around to playing it someday. Maybe.

ok first you need to watch the full 12 minutes of this video uninterrupted. if you are able to do so without doing something else or having to stop watching it go nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcvw1E0Mcac

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Umm I’m struggling here wtf is on Nero’s rt/r2? Or Dante’s for that matter. Or v’s? Am I having a stroke wtf is on that button.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RichterIX posted:

I've never been able to get into Bayonetta, it seems like it has Tekken numbers of combos which I'm sure makes max rank easier but I can't remember how to do anything in the heat of the moment. DMC games have tons of stuff but a lot of it's split between style/weapons, so it's a lot easier for me to get a grasp on "these are the 8 things that the Red Queen can do." Am I misremembering Bayonetta?

Bayonetta’s scoring works a lot differently than DMC’s. It’s a bit hard to explain succinctly but remembering your entire toolkit at once isn’t quite as important.

Cowcaster posted:

ok first you need to watch the full 12 minutes of this video uninterrupted. if you are able to do so without doing something else or having to stop watching it go nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcvw1E0Mcac

even if you go out of your way to try a d use sword attacks instead of just spamming your guns it doesn’t really do anything to make things more exciting

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 14, 2019

Veotax
May 16, 2006

kater posted:

Umm I’m struggling here wtf is on Nero’s rt/r2? Or Dante’s for that matter. Or v’s? Am I having a stroke wtf is on that button.

Dante is swap melee weapon, V is read poetry.

Nero is an ability you'll unlock later.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

kater posted:

The answer to that might be an end game spoiler. It also might not be as I switch the controls around and don't know what R2 used to be. For Dante it's the Devil Arm switch, and for V I also switched it around, is it the book reading button?

Edit: Aw, geez, beaten...

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh okay yeah my brain was shut off I remember all of those things now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Monaghan posted:

Not to beleaguer the DmC bashing but loving lol at DMC5 selling more copies in a week then DmC did in it's entire run.

I’m not gonna say that DmC was made specifically to spite fans of the original series... but alienating the existing fan base of a franchise in the same breath as rebooting it was a marketing strategy we haven’t seen since then for a reason.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just gonna say it: it's significantly less fun to replay Bayonetta because of the dumb minigame stuff.

They put the best Bayo 1 fight behind that ripoff and it sucked. Also, having to do hidden verses including sometimes the secret missions to get a platinum was and is very annoying in both games. Hoping the 3rd is better about that though I'm positive Space Harrier will be in it because not even Metal Gear could avoid that for a small bit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo they knew what they were doing by making DmC just so completely different than the tone of the series it was supposed to be rebooting. This was back at the peak of the "out with the old, in with the new" era of gaming and it was definitely a bid to jumpstart a series that has, as other people have said, up until now been relatively small potatoes. It was supposed to be a western take on the Devil May Cry world by western developers to appeal to western audiences, but what they ended up learning was that the series did in fact have fans in the west already and they did not want to play it. So, obviously, this plan did not go very well for them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 14, 2019

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

you won't

i played it for the first time a handful of months ago having been told nothing but "it's bad" since it came out

trip report: it's loving awful

I have a hope that capcom remakes DmC2 with the RE Engine. I would love to see the one blemish on DMC's track record erased

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
DMC2 had some neat ideas that were expanded on much better in later games, and even some unique ones that haven't appeared since (customisable DT). Good music, and still my favourite Dante design...but it's loving worthless.

I even completed it on DMD mode - it's fine as a mindless, "I've gently caress all to do, I'll hold down a button for four hours" game, but it's no hidden gem. The combat is so tedious and with no variety, and it has some of the worst, most unfun bosses in the series.

It was rushed out by Capcom following DMC1's success, staffed by people who didn't get what worked in DMC1. And it shows.

For contrast, DmC was bad because it was lesser, but on it's own merits there's some depth and enjoyment to be had with the combat. DMC2 is bad because it's loving nothing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i still prefer bayonetta's combat to devil may cry's but i can do without the minigames and qte's and i would suffer through games far worse if it meant i got to pal around with V instead of loving loki

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I kinda want them to reference DMC2 in the next game, if only to see what it would look like if Nero Buster'd that big rear end skyscraper demon.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m not gonna say that DmC was made specifically to spite fans of the original series... but alienating the existing fan base of a franchise in the same breath as rebooting it was a marketing strategy we haven’t seen since then for a reason.

Quake champions has had memory leaks, performance hitches, kicks you to the main menu after every match and 5 minute queue times throughout its entire life cycle, with none of it fixed on public release.

The project lead has been astoundingly tone deaf the whole time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD3NVVfZUDs

:rip: quake

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

For contrast, DmC was bad because it was lesser, but on it's own merits there's some depth and enjoyment to be had with the combat. DMC2 is bad because it's loving nothing.

I don't get why everyone says DmCs combat was good. It's combat fixed a problem that was never really a problem.

NT dev : "Because of the angel/ devil system players are forced to utilize more of the weapons!"

Players : "I thought the style system already effectively did that? Isn't this just a poorly thought out mechanic stolen from Ikaruga without the nuance or fun? "

NT dev: "Uhhhhhhhh.......... UMMMMMMM........ LOOK A MOP FELL ON DANTE'S HEAD!"

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't think their intention was to alienate fans but it's just that it was made by a English company and that's just how middle class people act. Society bends over backwards for these people so the idea that someone can look at the poo poo they make and not herald it as genius probably came as a massive shock to them so naturally they just started lashing out.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Oxxidation posted:

i still prefer bayonetta's combat to devil may cry's but i can do without the minigames and qte's and i would suffer through games far worse if it meant i got to pal around with V instead of loving loki

Credit to DMC5 for literally hanging the phone up on the annoying child character.

*Bayonetta literally going to hell to save her BBF/life partner*
"OI LUV, THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY 'BOUT ME LUV."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Citrus posted:

I don't get why everyone says DmCs combat was good. It's combat fixed a problem that was never really a problem.

NT dev : "Because of the angel/ devil system players are forced to utilize more of the weapons!"

Players : "I thought the style system already effectively did that? Isn't this just a poorly thought out mechanic stolen from Ikaruga without the nuance or fun? "

It's a problem they invented, by making style based on damage

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr.Citrus posted:

The definitive edition got rid of needing to use the color-coded weapons on the same-color enemies, instead making em just not get stunned/stumbled unless you're using the "right" one. According to the bigass changelog, that's the way it originally was and the mandatory color-coding wasn't in, but then testers got confused about what enemies reacted to what weapons so they changed it to the worse version we got. Basically QA is the devil.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Bayonetta's first instinct upon seeing a child is to point a gun at them and she does this in both games. I found myself having no particular reaction to Loki at all and I say that as someone who typically hates child characters. He wasn't great, he wasn't terrible, he was just kinda nothing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

RichterIX posted:

Literally all of Bayonetta's combos involve pauses at various points in the string. It's just remembering that the basic hithit hit combodoes the stompy finisher, hithithit hit hit combo with the sword does a multi-hit slash, etc. Not too bad. And they are also pretty consistent across weapons.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

The definitive edition got rid of needing to use the color-coded weapons on the same-color enemies, instead making em just not get stunned/stumbled unless you're using the "right" one. According to the bigass changelog, that's the way it originally was and the mandatory color-coding wasn't in, but then testers got confused about what enemies reacted to what weapons so they changed it to the worse version we got. Basically QA is the devil.

Having them only get staggered by certain weapons is only a marginal improvement from having them only take damage from certain weapons, though.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 14, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That NOT IN A MILLION YEARS :smug: scene in DmC is so funny to me because I have never seen a game take out a gun, load a bullet into the chamber, point directly at its own foot and pull the trigger with such determination. If they were even a little bit self-aware about it maybe it would have turned out differently. But no, that game has no self-awareness whatsoever. Vergil wears a fedora.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bayonetta has too many moves, most of them fulfill the exact same functions and it makes the systems less interesting to explore and I've held this opinion inside for 10 years and im glad dmc is back even if I adore every other non-licensed platinum game

That they're consistent across weapons actually makes everything feel samey to me

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mr.Citrus posted:

DmC just felt like a downgrade, since all the other DMC games felt like adding poo poo like dante's styles, the exceed gauge and the devil bringer. Dmc removed the styles and stuff and the only thing they kinda kept was Nero's extending grapple arm thing.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Ignoring how awful the mechanic was to begin with, lore wise, why would angel weapons hurt angels, and demon weapons hurt demons? Shouldn't it be switched? Why would beings make weapons to only hurt themselves and not their enemies? This is so poorly thought out that I don't think it can be scapegoated on QA. This stinks of some lead designer ramming his vision down everyone's throat

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/mizbino/status/1105719947504816129

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo gently caress the nidhogg fight on dmd, I'm feeling like having nightmare summoned during entire phases of V's bosses is gonna be the safest way of dealing with them

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’m absolutely rear end at character action games and still got bored of DmC color coding like 60% the way through, so good job making it accessible.

Will say it was the best looking 360 game I played till like gtav.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

That NOT IN A MILLION YEARS :smug: scene in DmC is so funny to me because I have never seen a game take out a gun, load a bullet into the chamber, point directly at its own foot and pull the trigger with such determination. If they were even a little bit self-aware about it maybe it would have turned out differently. But no, that game has no self-awareness whatsoever. Vergil wears a fedora.

The DANTE IS/IS NOT slideshow is even worse, though it wasn’t in the game itself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gonna be another person here to say that dmc2 holds no actual value to play and it's seriously not a 'people poo poo on it too harshly when it came out when there's probably something alright in there' situation

it's just. really poorly designed. can you handle the excitement of not getting new melee weapons, just statswaps that swing faster and do less damage or slower with more? how about guns doing absurd levels of damage to the detriment of the game as a whole. also bosses that are just incredibly awful. like at the end of the day it's playable but you would be better served just not actually spending the time

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not fair, Dante is def stupider than Nero.

I appreciate how Dante was differentiated even more from Nero through their guns, i.e. they made Nero's bigass revolver actually a worthwhile damage dealer with lots of weight versus the pistols for Dante that are mainly tools to keep combos up, although the shotgun Gunstinger moves are really great for knockback as well. Nero's gun just feels so goddamn great in this one versus the jerky way he shoots in DMC4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

not fair, Dante is def stupider than Nero.

I appreciate how Dante was differentiated even more from Nero through their guns, i.e. they made Nero's bigass revolver actually a worthwhile damage dealer with lots of weight versus the pistols for Dante that are mainly tools to keep combos up, although the shotgun Gunstinger moves are really great for knockback as well. Nero's gun just feels so goddamn great in this one versus the jerky way he shoots in DMC4.

Both Dr.Faust's and Kalina Ann's gunslinger moves can literally clear out entire rooms.